I have a butane question. I know that Vectorx5 seems to be the preferred choice but the dude in the smoke shop swears by Xikar/Purofine . He said it's the best, better than Vectorx5, any opinions?

Glasshammer,

Adobewan

Hey Glass,

Try using the stem attachments to lengthen your stem to the fullest, might alleviate the effects on your throat, although I haven't suffered it.

Here's my procedure(like many FC user's I imagine)
Let me preface, I use the 3 prong Optimizer and recommend it.
-First fill or be sure your filed with Butane(as has been drivin into the ground, get 5x filtered, not a big deal to get but makes a big difference).
-Loading the bowl from a space case grinder is easiest, just scoop with your bowl,
-Slide it on the unit
-Turn power button on
-Click the igniter(Don't go nuts no this, 1-3 easy pushes should produce a small blue spark thru the grill, followed by an orange glow)
- Give it 45 sec to a minute, one or two cycles.
- Pull a nice steady draw off of it. You may not get a huge cloud, but this is the magic hit, steaming those trichomes, the taste is hard to beat.
- Following draws will produce clouds!!
-I'd say 7-9 hits and your approaching spend. Although I know I've gotten more than that off it while still producing clouds.
-As you are approaching spend, grab the part of the stem closest to the unit and rotate it. This (can, not always) turn the bowl against the optimizer, stirring the bowl contents

Big fan of this unit, you will find your meds are stretching using this. This was the unit that turned me to vaporizing. It led me to my Extreme Q(4stars!!!), love my MFLB(stealth is hard to beat!), a GEntleman's Stick(fun, novel, stealthy, nearly perfect) and am in the courtship stage with the Omicron right now(initial findings are WOW! Absolute state of the art! But that's only after one nights use, I'll be posting a detailed review once I've really gotten to know it), but if you prefer to vaporize flowers to medicate, the Iolite does and will continue to get my highest recommend. I've turned a number of very happy fellow patients on to the unit.

PS had a problem with my original unit, wouldn't ignite, Iolite was very responsive, picked up the phone right away, willing to help, ready to replace it if I needed, but the shop I bought it from in town stepped right up behind the product and replaced it for me.
Big fan!

Adobewan,

Vitolo

Vaporist
If the guy at the local shop sells Xikar/Purofine and does not sell Vector, that would be why he says Xikar/Purofine is superior.
According to the website, Xikar/Purofine is good stuff..
The prices on the web are comparible.
Local head shop here sells both for the same price- $6.00.
One of the employees swears they are the same.. one says he like Vector better.

Vitolo,

nr-cole

Of the vapes I've owned, the Iolite definitely dries the throat and mouth out the most. I credit it with my habit of always having water on hand to sip in between hits when vaping. Before I did that, waking up in the morning after an Iolite session was AWFUL.

nr-cole,

anivape

Has anyone heard from O&B service center in North America lately?
My first impressions of their service is not good.
I guess I'll send my #2 unit to Ireland for warranty

anivape,
Still experimenting, I filled the bowl about halfway and then went through the steps (properly this time) . Only this time instead of hitting on it 1 minute later I waited for like 5 minutes before I took the first hit.. I got the best hits yet out of the thing. Lots of vapor, almost like I was smoking. And the condenser is not in.

Now for my question, am I using more "herb" that way ? Instead of the way that the manual tells me to? Is the bowl cashing out sooner that way?

Glasshammer,

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
I always gave mine a healthy five minute heat up BEFORE packing the bowl to avoid losing any of that precious first hit or 2......works like a charm

SF Giant,

Vitolo

Vaporist
That is what the manufacturer recommends.. a period of letting the herbs sit and heat.
5 minutes is more than I give it.. but if you are getting satisfactory taste, clouds, and effects (most important) then you are doing good!..

Vitolo,

Chrispy3

I just got an iolite, and even though people on FC seem to have a lot of complaints with the Iolite I have to say I'm quite satisfied. There's definitely no smell of butane with mine, and though I haven't had too much time to mess around with it yet I can get some small vapor clouds, nothing like a desktop vape but it's nice for the stealth factor. Also, as far as stealth goes I think it beats any other portable, just because of it's looks. Everyone I've encountered who didn't smoke had no idea what it was; it sort of looks like a walkie talkie.

I don't have any issues with airflow, but I assume that that's because it's brand new and has nothing clogging it up yet, so I'll just have to keep it clean.

So far I've been LOVING the portability + ease of use with it. You can pack the chamber in advance, just put it in your pocket for later, and whenever you want to use it just push the ignition switch and your good to go.

Chrispy3,
Now for today's question. Once again I am referencing info given to me by the person who turned me on to Vaporizing.
She said that I should wait at least a minute between hits, is she correct about this? Or does it matter?

Glasshammer,

Vitolo

Vaporist
You should wait some time between hits, to allow weed in chamber to get back to temperature.
1 minute sounds like an amount that worked for your friend.
formulas like that are personal , and are preferences, developed by practice and experience... and may vary for you.
I take two good hits.... then I dont "time" it.. I wait until I hear the gas go off again... then once it has stopped .... I give a few seconds.... and hit it some more.
The point is that with the Iolite it is good to give it time to get hot again!

Vitolo,

Chrispy3

Vitolo said:
You should wait some time between hits, to allow weed in chamber to get back to temperature.
1 minute sounds like an amount that worked for your friend.
formulas like that are personal , and are preferences, developed by practice and experience... and may vary for you.
I take two good hits.... then I dont "time" it.. I wait until I hear the gas go off again... then once it has stopped .... I give a few seconds.... and hit it some more.
The point is that with the Iolite it is good to give it time to get hot again!
Thanks for the tip, I was wondering why I only got nice vapor on the first few hits; I had been drawing far too often!

Chrispy3,

Vitolo

Vaporist
And the Iolite should vape what is in it for a good 10-12 minutes (maybe more depending on strain)

Vitolo,
Thanks for the all the help,especially to Vitolo, now I think I have a pretty good handle on how to use this thing properly.

Glasshammer,

MrNorml

"A lot of people here seem to go through iolites a lot though. I suppose some do last a long time. It seems a lot don't though. As for me, I just know the heater in mine got slowly worse and worse, little by little, over the two year warranty period. The amount of vapor it extracted went down and the heat up time went up. Now it is practically useless. Oh, and I tried dealing with their customer service while my unit was still under warranty, but they never got back to me after multiple attempts."

I am on my 3rd Iolite since last summer. Totally frustrated with Iolite. I tried dealing with them on the first device. Ireland seemed pleasant enough, but U.S. quit following up on my complaints after I provided the sales receipt. No denial, no nothing. By that point I had already received #2, and was between Arizona and Michigan (snow-bird). Hospitalizations, travel for treatment, etc. got in the way of my follow-up to their lack of follow-up. When I get back west in a couple weeks, I will start to deal with them again for #1 and #2.

I got a 3rd because of a couple reasons. First, my health is such that I need something smooth that works, and the Iolite does that. Seccondly, I needed time to investigate what else is out there. So, since getting the 2nd and before #3 I have gotten a MFLB, and an Eclipse, for portable use. The Iolite produces a finer session I feel, but not such that it is worth 400 or more US a year. I can't use the 1-hitter of old, but I am tired of Iolite's lack of reliability, which when coupled with the lack of cooperation from Iolite U.S. means that I just can't rely on them and have to find the proper substitute. Something isn't working for Iolite apparently and ultimately the marketplace will let them know that. Unfortunately because it seems to have such potential.

MrNorml,

MrNorml

anivape said:

This is an option? They seemed so friendly there, unlike the U.S. branch.

MrNorml,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I have seen a change in the brand of fuel bring a couple of Iolites back from the dead, and to full new performance! (I swear by Vector now)

Vitolo,

anivape

MrNorml said:
anivape said:

This is an option? They seemed so friendly there, unlike the U.S. branch.

It looks like an option. Though I was still waiting for a reply, or my unit #1, before I send #2.
still no reply from O&B US ... shame.
the effort O&B put into designing and manufacturing the iolite, is getting fucked over by their cs..

It's been way easier for me to just buy nother off amazon, "amazon orange iolite" for @$100
their warranty return service is exceptional.

And Vitolo, I agree, the fill/purge dance with vector, will revive some units that get gunked up
with lesser quality gas. And doing a complete purge twice a month has prolonged the life of my units.
To the point the piezo goes kaput!.

update: eating a little crow, received package from US cs.. ( 6+ weeks round trip) contains what looks like the unit I sent them, and a note stating, we did not find anything wrong with this unit. What is important is that it works.. The only reason I can guess that they won't want to responed via email to me is that I bring up the issue of not reaching 190c in 90 seconds... still trying to get rma for #2

anivape,
Greetings Vapers!
I'm new to the forum, and have been reading through many pages, learning a lot in the process... thanks! I've only had my iolite a few days and already LOVE it compared to smoking.

Having never really been a tobacco smoker (tried it for a little while in my early teens, never saw the point, thought is was gross), the smoking aspect of consuming cannabis has always been the biggest drawback for me... wreaking like smoke even after just a couple of hits, and then having to "air out" or wash up and get some food or drink into my mouth to cover up the scent.

Using the iolite took some getting used to, but I seem to have the knack of it already after only 4 sessions. I turned my neighbor on to it last night... he was VERY impressed, as I was, and says he's already thinking of getting one, too (and he should, since he has COPD). I've never used any other vaporizers, but lucked out and picked mine up slightly used for $100, only 6 months old, from a college kids who just needed the money (unfortunately no receipt, so no warranty, though). Nevertheless, I'm already sold on the benefits of vaping over smoking (and did lots of research before settling on the iolite). The stealthy aspects of the it are perfect for my situation. I'm also looking forward to cooking with the "spent" herb that I will now be saving. :D

So... a question... I see some people posting here about not getting "giant clouds" of vapor from the iolite as they do from more powerful tabletop models. Are they referring to when you exhale? I've always been a very conservative and efficient smoker and try to waste as little as possible (exhale halfway, breath back in, exhale halfway, breath back in, etc), especially these days with the prices so high (at least here on the east coast). Isn't blowing out a big vape cloud a huge waste of expensive herb? Seems to me like they must be taking hits that are too big.

Cheers to a great forum!

RexLizardo,

anivape

imho, milky hits things is somewhat of a personal pref..
and for me depends on density of bowl/surface to air ratio, strain and temp...
and how long it has been used.

I seem to almost always get visible vapor on the first heat up hit..
and less vapor each first heat up hit. after 3-4 heat ups on a bowl, toast.

I think more of the ex smokers like the cloudy exhale, even though it may be waste full.

but ya, I know just cause it's not visible, doesn't mean it's not working

:)

anivape,

max

Out to lunch
RexLizardo said:
So... a question... I see some people posting here about not getting "giant clouds" of vapor from the iolite as they do from more powerful tabletop models. Are they referring to when you exhale? I've always been a very conservative and efficient smoker and try to waste as little as possible (exhale halfway, breath back in, exhale halfway, breath back in, etc), especially these days with the prices so high (at least here on the east coast). Isn't blowing out a big vape cloud a huge waste of expensive herb? Seems to me like they must be taking hits that are too big.
I can't say what I think about people complaining that a stealth portable with a set temp doesn't produce big clouds of vapor. I'd be breaking the 'Be nice' rule. Do the same people buy a Toyota Prius and complain that it doesn't go from 0-60 in 5 seconds?

Glad you're enjoying vaping and your iolite Rex. Hang around the forum a while and you'll be saving your lunch money for a home vape as well. ;)

max,

DopeyJ

Hey everybody.

First time post here. Got some problems and was hoping someone could help me out.

I've owned 3 Iolites (1 was back when it was still the iInhale). All of them had gotten clogged at some point, and before I realized how to fix that, I opened them all up and basically cannibalized non clogged parts to make a working unit. I've also had to use some tubing from some lighters I had to replace the stock tubing (broken).

I'm at the point where the only working parts I have are what's in my unit + a couple fuel tanks.

Now I'm having some weird issues. After replacing the wire from the starter, it sparks up instantly (makes me think when those starters go bad, its a lose connection or a bad wire, but the clicky component itself is fine). It'll go through a couple heating cycles, but then its like it gets clogged up. Flow is so slow I can't hear any gas coming through. It is still heating the unit, but not to vaporizing temp. I've recently discovered that if I cover the plastic starter button with my mouth and blow hard, it'll force heavy gas flow for a heating cycle or two. But after that, flow slows down again and I have to repeat the process.

I've tried the purge dance, as well as letting it run dry, both cold and hot, and nothings fixing the problem. Banging the thing hard on its side use to solve the problem (its amazing how durable those parts are to handle an impact like that) but it wont anymore.

The only thing I can think of is that I still may have a leak in the tubing that runs from the tank to the main piping, and due to a lack of oxygen inside the unit, gas flow slows. Though, idk why that would slow flow, I'd imagine it would inhibit the reaction creating the heat, but as I said, though my unit wont heat to max temp for the duration of the problem, its a lack of flow.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm just completely stumped at this point.

DopeyJ,
Top Bottom