Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

getsoutalive

Oh I wholeheartedly agree. They've done some seriously evil shit. But trying to affect the next generations view of them in this way is fucked up, sliding into thier subconsciousness....

"Cos none of that history matters if the next generation have a positive view of us and how we operate."

You guys are cute. Ever heard of advertising?

getsoutalive,
  • Haha
Reactions: bulllee

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Why does that even matter? The fact that it's akin to or explainable as advertising doesn't make it less fucked up. If that's what you mean? Or do you mean that if someone mentions that big oil pushing propaganda on the next generation is fucked up, they can't also think advertising other harmful shit is fucked up as well? In which case you're also not making sense. It's feels like it's just a whataboutist excuse to patronize people you disagree with.

florduh

According to the documents, Shell recognized in the 1980s that it played a role in global warming and that the threat from rising temperatures was growing. The research determined that the company generated 4 percent of the world’s carbon emissions in 1984, from its production of oil, gas and coal. In a 1988 internal report, marked “Confidential,”

Shell has been worried about what young people think about them for a while now.

Two decades ago, a group of researchers envisioned a violent storm ripping through the East Coast with such force that it would transform young people into climate activists, spark lawsuits and cause government leaders to turn on fossil fuel companies.

The scenario planning process was based on climate science, political realities and economic projections. It suggested that a major storm on the East Coast in 2010 could turn public opinion against Shell and other oil and gas conglomerates, while pushing governments toward strict environmental regulations and investments in renewable energy.

getsoutalive

Why does that even matter? The fact that it's akin to or explainable as advertising doesn't make it less fucked up. If that's what you mean? Or do you mean that if someone mentions that big oil pushing propaganda on the next generation is fucked up, they can't also think advertising other harmful shit is fucked up as well? In which case you're also not making sense. It's feels like it's just a whataboutist excuse to patronize people you disagree with.

THEY ALL LIE. ALL OF THEM. expect it and you will not be disappointed.

not much more to say.

getsoutalive

Somehow, I suspect that engaging with gets out alive is not a worthwhile or useful endeavor. YMMV

Thank you for proving my point in less than 10 minutes.

Happy to have serious conversation on any topic.

Tried to broach the subject of earnings, wealth disparity and money, but was dismissed as a "religious" fanatic.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Happy to have serious conversation on any topic.
Yeah, ok.... This kind of language does not lead to a conversation... 🙄
Thanks for giving me a reason to try the ignore function... It's really very good!

Edit: actually, I can give you the benefit of the doubt, let's try to have a conversation...

Do you believe it's ok to advertise any product on any platform without any oversight? If so, why? If not, what products do you think shouldn't be advertised?

Cheebsy,

getsoutalive

Edit: actually, I can give you the benefit of the doubt, let's try to have a conversation...

Do you believe it's ok to advertise any product on any platform without any oversight? If so, why? If not, what products do you think shouldn't be advertised?
For Adults, Yes. "The platform" should have the right to refuse to carry anything they wish (absent "public" funding, a whole 'nother ball of wax) and both should be subject to liability.

getsoutalive,

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
For Adults, Yes.
Fortnight, is aimed and enjoyed by a massive section of society. Children, not exclusively, play a lot of fortnight.

How do you feel about this statement? We shouldn't be letting miscreant multinationals influence adolescent minds with propaganda designed to give them an easy ride as those adolescents mature.

The platform should have the ability to run whatever advertising plans they like as long as its within the local law. I agree with that entirely.

absent "public" funding, a whole 'nother ball of wax

I'm sorry but I have no idea what you mean by this, it must be because I'm not in the US *shrug*

I do think that certain things shouldn't be advertised... Cigarettes for example cost health systems across the globe huge amounts of money from thier consequences, even when I was a smoker I could see the sense in limiting advertising.

Cheebsy,

getsoutalive

Without seeing any of the ads, I seriously doubt there is anything in them that I would consider objectionable for children, as that would likely go along with things that we attempt to limit minors from accessing already. (sex, drugs, etc.)

Adults should be treated like adults. Who gets to decide what is or is not allowed in my house? What makes the morons in charge capable of making choices for ALL adults? Who REALLY writes the regulations you so eagerly seek? Not the politician whose name is on it.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I can't imagine which of thier products they would like to sell to children... Mostly, children don't buy shells products directly. Therefore it must be propaganda to improve their standing. I honestly don't blame them, they look bad to a large majority of the worlds population, when you have more information than a child you see this truth and don't fall for it.

I also believe that adults should make thier own choices. Most of us on this board have made choices to consume an illegal substance so I think most of us here believe the same.

I'm not sure the morons are making choices for all adults, just the ones that they think will vote then in next time... Politics seems broken the world over too, never mind what kind of society you live in. Do you know who I blame that on? Multinational corporations with too much power because of politics one the take.

florduh

You have to give your email addy to read this story, but it's worth it. Haaretz is the oldest paper in Israel. Basically, their version of the New York Times.

Reading their coverage over the past few days, I can't help but think that, if in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, the actual NYT had half of Haaretz's courage and honesty, we might live in a far more sane world today. They may have prevented hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths as well.

“Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas,” Netanyahu told his Likud party’s Knesset members in March 2019. “This is part of our strategy"

I Think You Should Leave Oh My God GIF by The Lonely Island

This isn’t a conspiracy theory. Listen to former Israeli officials such as Brig. Gen. Yitzhak Segev, who was the Israeli military governor in Gaza in the early 1980s. Segev later told a New York Times reporter that he had helped finance the Palestinian Islamist movement as a “counterweight” to the secularists and leftists of the Palestine Liberation Organization and the Fatah party, led by Yasser Arafat (who himself referred to Hamas as “a creature of Israel.”)

Reminder that the Taliban, and later Al Qaeda, were creations of the CIA. We supported them to act as Anti-Communists in Afghanistan. Oooops!

0*GLUsmDULG_nbjmYA

bhasma

Colonial powers cause much suffering when they arrive, and often more when they leave. And their arbitrary division of territories based on religion has only set the stage for ongoing conflict. Zionists and anti-Semites were united in their desire to establish a place for Jewish people outside of Europe, but the Palestinians whose land was in question were never consulted. Sho'ah and Nakba both mean catastrophe, and "unless we can hold these two moments in our hearts and minds as part of the same story, there can be no moving forward in the seemingly unmovable conflict that is Israel-Palestine" (Bashir & Goldberg - 2018).

florduh

Zionists and anti-Semites

Yeah, the whole story takes on a different flavor once you realize a big part of the motivation was British antisemites not wanting Jews to live anywhere near them.

There was a similar dynamic in the 19th century with freed slaves and whole Liberia movement.

Dustin McKief

Why the Internet Isn’t Fun Anymore The social-media Web as we knew it, a place where we consumed the posts of our fellow-humans and posted in return, appears to be over.

Yes, I realize the irony of sharing this story here. ;^)

I'm not surprised that commoditization of all things eventually happens, but it's still eye-opening and makes me think. With AI, this behavior will intensify into surreal territory. And, now that corporations are people who can hold their assets in offshore banks, the idea of 'trust busting' monopolies with antitrust laws (similar to what was done at the turn of the last century) seems very unlikely.

Dustin McKief,
  • Love
Reactions: florduh

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

F8VuankWwAA-D1l

From Osama Bin Laden's Open Letter to America in 2002:

There's plenty to say about the rhetoric, but despite the similarities involving Bin Laden is sensationalist use of false equivalence fallacy. Israel has just suffered a immense terrorist attack to which it is responding and which has instigated a war wherein Israel is combatting in defense of the country and its people. US wasn't at war with an Islamic country when they got attacked, let alone had they just committed a terrorist attack to which was being responded in defense. They were attacked for supporting and helping protect the existence of Israel. The manner wherein and consequences thereof can be debated, but they weren't committing a terrorist attack. And US and its allies weren't vowing to destroy any Islamic countries, which is what Israel bordering Hezbollah forces and nuclear power Iran by members of parliament are doing.

Top Bottom