Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

Cheebsy

Microbe minion

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Amsterdam votes to ban cruise ships (Washington Post link below)

A political party cited pollution and crowding as reasons for relocating a cruise terminal away from the city

--------------------------------------------------------
get

Last edited:

florduh

LOL. LMAO. This dumb motherfucker is never getting his $44 billion back. He's destroying the only valuable thing left on that shitty website.

Every other social media property would kill to have a catchy verb like "Tweet" or "Retweet". But everyone's favorite Business Genius decided to flush all that down the toilet.

Madtater

Amsterdam votes to ban cruise ships (Washington Post link below)

A political party cited pollution and crowding as reasons for relocating a cruise terminal away from the city

--------------------------------------------------------
get
I would be curious if they need to be trimmed and if not, does growth affect the QR code.

What happens if one turns brown?

Trajectory.

Have a snort, JAWS my friend.

Last edited:

florduh

I mean, I guess the guy died doing what he loves. Also... a nice little sneak preview for what "retirement" is gonna look like for my generation.

Once we get tired of working at an Amazon Fulfillment Center to pay for our prescriptions deep into our 70's, we'll just.... go outside during the day without AC. And wait for the air to suffocate us to death.

I was back in FL for the Fourth.... it already feels like the air is trying to kill you down there.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
When I read that headline I thought no fucking chance, but if I think about it, we're expecting another difficult winter with energy bills, and if they position themselves to help the worst off, maybe they could change some minds? May this year felt a lot easier than it did in the winter by comparison, and maybe they're hoping they can massage people opinions that way. I certainly don't feel like Labour is a sure fire winner, but the lib Dems have historically been popular in the SW, and thier results in Yorkshire were arguably even worse than the Tory's! I couldn't predict it but I wouldn't be surprised if there's another coalition government in the next term. I've lost faith in both of the big parties now, there both full of miscreants!

florduh

PhilosoStoner

When I read that headline I thought no fucking chance, but if I think about it, we're expecting another difficult winter with energy bills, and if they position themselves to help the worst off, maybe they could change some minds? May this year felt a lot easier than it did in the winter by comparison, and maybe they're hoping they can massage people opinions that way. I certainly don't feel like Labour is a sure fire winner, but the lib Dems have historically been popular in the SW, and thier results in Yorkshire were arguably even worse than the Tory's! I couldn't predict it but I wouldn't be surprised if there's another coalition government in the next term. I've lost faith in both of the big parties now, there both full of miscreants!
I agree with your coalition prediction, I was thinking maybe Labour and Lib Dem? Wouldn't be surprised if that's what the Tories are doing though, and I don't think I have confidence that the country wouldn't vote them in again (I swear we're all mad)

Suella Braverman for the next PM anyone? :bang:

florduh

No offense to any Brits. And as an American I’ve got no room to talk. But I’ve written off UK politics completely after witnessing what the entire British Press and establishment did to Corbyn.

There are valid criticisms of the guy, but seeing him slimed as an antisemite for believing Palestinians are human beings was pretty horrible to watch. He’s a sweet old man. Too sweet for politics, probably.

Jeremy was the British Bernie. Another guy who’s too kind for politics. And to be fair to the Brits, all the ghouls on this side of the pond would’ve slimed Bernard as an antisemite too if he wasn’t a Jewish guy who lost relatives in the Holocaust.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I actually agree to some extent, but the fact he remained a member of a Facebook group that had antiseimetic comments was the deal breaker. I never voted for him, but I did quite like him before all that blew up. I have absolutely no intention of voting for Kier Slimer!

florduh

I have absolutely no intention of voting for Kier Slimer!

LOL. Yeah, you all are almost as fucked over there as we are over here.

Although.... just throwing it out there....have you guys considered storming Parliament and making this bloke your new Leader?

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Corbyn does more than just believe Palestinians are human beings though. He perpetuates Protocols of Zion level tropes. Admittedly he does this shit indirectly and denies each accusation by claiming it's a misunderstanding of some sorts. But you know, making such a slip once might be unintended. Continuing to do so, however, and then following it by some half assed attempt to weasel his way out of it? Well if it quacks like an antisemite...

florduh

Corbyn does more than just believe Palestinians are human beings though. He perpetuates Protocols of Zion level tropes. Admittedly he does this shit indirectly and denies each accusation by claiming it's a misunderstanding of some sorts. But you know, making such a slip once might be unintended. Continuing to do so, however, and then following it by some half assed attempt to weasel his way out of it? Well if it quacks like an antisemite...

Maybe Corbyn really does hate Jewish people. I tend to doubt it given the totality of his politics. But maybe you're right.

My problem with this is... simply believing Palestinians are human beings with a right to life. Or... criticizing the Israeli Government's horrific treatment of Palestinians is more than enough for the British or American press to paint you as an antisemite.

So that tends to muddy the waters a bit. And gives cover to actual antisemites. That is, bigots who truly hate Jews as people.

Farid

Any news on UPS? That could put this country at a standstill, and I've got a feeling it'll prompt others to join in solidarity. Could really impact more than just the supply chain...

Last edited:

florduh

I'd put Mick lynch in shackles next to suella!

I should probably just stay out of British People's Business, lol. Admittedly, I know little of Lynch other than his banger pro-labor speeches. I've heard he was a Brexiteer.... which does make him look silly, especially in retrospect.

I'm out of ideas. Maybe bring back BoJo? (lol)

@Farid here's the latest update from the Teamsters

Basically, they haven't been talking for weeks unfortunately. The Teamsters DID get a huge concession: AC in trucks. It is WILD to me that they made those drivers spend 8+ hours in hot trucks. Especially in FL.

And you're right. There would be major supply chain issues as other unions join in solidarity.

Last edited:

PhilosoStoner

I should probably just stay out of British People's Business, lol. Admittedly, I know little of Lynch other than his banger pro-labor speeches. I've heard he was a Brexiteer.... which does make him look silly, especially in retrospect.
Honestly it's safer to assume that anyone in Parliament is incompetent and/or corrupt than not

PhilosoStoner,
Reactions: florduh

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

My problem with this is... simply believing Palestinians are human beings with a right to life. Or... criticizing the Israeli Government's horrific treatment of Palestinians is more than enough for the British or American press to paint you as an antisemite.

Oh totally, Israel and by extension the Jewish people are continuously being used as pawns in a political game that serves purposes that have nothing to do with Israel and the Jews. The timing of the accusations and inquiry of Corbyn and Labour showcases that opportunism perfectly.

So that tends to muddy the waters a bit. And gives cover to actual antisemites. That is, bigots who truly hate Jews as people.

This does work both ways. The right uses the Israel/Palestine conflict as ammunition to position the left in the antisemite corner, seemingly opposed by themselves, while at the same time harboring blatant antisemites. The left, under the guise of solidarity with Palestine, is giving immense amounts of attention to Israeli policy and questioning the legitimacy of the state and its borders. This coming from imperialist Europeans such as the ones colonizing Northern America, audaciously criticizing Israel for being a settler state.

Generalizing here 'the left' and 'the right' for the sake of argument, as far as I'm concerned it's antisemitism from both sides and both create breeding ground for atrocities that, for millennia, have been done to the Jewish people.

Top Bottom