Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

Texas House committee to investigate school districts’ books on race and sexuality

A Republican state lawmaker has launched an investigation into Texas school districts over the type of books they have, particularly if they pertain to race or sexuality or "make students feel discomfort."

Krause's letter provides a 16-page list of about 850 book titles and asks the districts if they have these books, how many copies they have and how much money they spent on the books.

His list of titles includes bestsellers and award winners alike, from the 1967 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel “The Confessions of Nat Turner” by William Styron and “Between the World and Me” by Ta-Nehisi Coates to last year's book club favorites: “Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women that a Movement Forgot” by Mikki Kendall and Isabel Wilkerson's “Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents.”

But race is not the only thing on the committee chair’s list. Other listed books Krause wants school districts to account for are about teen pregnancy, abortion and homosexuality, including “LGBT Families” by Leanne K. Currie-McGhee, “The Letter Q: Queer Writers’ Notes to their Younger Selves” edited by Sarah Moon, and Michael J. Basso’s “The Underground Guide to Teenage Sexuality: An Essential Handbook for Today’s Teens and Parents.”

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/1...F-pYJBYp4Eq2ySK8-KLWrGTPsdSoaDlsw76w5HgPU9Q-0

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
1635416976_470665_1635417023_noticia_normal.jpg

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

This photojournalist faked an entire book to highlight how hard it is to spot misinformation

"When photojournalist Jonas Bendiksen released a book about the fake news industry, he got messages from people thanking him for covering such an important issue.

But he says no-one noticed one thing about the book: everything in it was also fake.
"

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Exactly why we need actual genuine dialogue about these things instead of simply deferring to witch hunt levels of offensive suppression of information that may or may not be true just because it comes from someone we don't like, trust or agree with!

Not here though please!!! We tried that and regrettably it really didn't work out well at all 🙁

Skirting round the edges, trying not to rock the boat - a physics problem if ever there was one 😅

In the mean time, tensions are escalating between France and the UK

and the controversial (actually just a bad idea) HS2 railway finally has a singular positive aspect, it led to the discovery of Roman sculpture:

p.e. if anyone is interested in a copy of the Book, someone selling them on eBay for $600

Last edited:
kel,

florduh

"[...]focus on Zuckerberg’s plans for building the metaverse."

In under the wire before dynavap was able to trademark the word metaverse.
Call me adverse. /nods

They were gonna trademark "Metaverse"? If so, George probably lost out on a big payday, holding it hostage. Facebook Meta is currently burning 10 billion a year to build this thing. Who knows what Zuck would've paid to get the name.

I like how this video shows their hand. Zuck and other "Meta" Executives, standing in the corner, secretly watching you play in the Metaverse with your family.

Meta Metaverse GIF by Facebook

florduh

So the New York Times finally covered the Donziger saga, albeit in a pretty pathetic way.

Why did the "paper of record" refuse to cover the story of a US political prisoner under house arrest within walking distance of their headquarters for so long? I guess we'll never know. Just a big 'ol mystery.

FCzeDdLVUAEwc0g

Probably won't move these ghouls, but if you feel so inclined...

Edit: It looks like now that Steven is safely behind bars, the media is allowed to cover this story:

Last edited:

florduh

You have to take these stories with a grain at salt, but I'm pretty sure this is like the fourth or fifth CIA'ed up Cuban exile to say something like this.

Miami Herald: Cuban exile told sons he trained Oswald, JFK’s accused assassin, at a secret CIA camp

The claims made by Ricardo Morales Jr. during a show on Miami’s Actualidad Radio 1040 AM, add to one of the long-held theories about the JFK assassination — that Cuban exiles working for the CIA had been involved. But the claims also point the finger at the CIA, which some observers believe could help explain why President Joe Biden backed off last week on declassifying the remaining documents in the case.

Anyone here have memories from when the whole Warren Report nonsense dropped? To me, it seems fairly obvious that Oswald was some sort of intelligence asset. The guy's a Marine who defects to the fucking Soviet Union. We don't stop him. Then like 2 years later he changes his mind, and we just welcome him back with open arms? At a time when you could have your life ruined just for publicly having leftist politics? Come on, man....

I'm just curious if this story even made sense at the time. At the very least, it seems odd that they weren't at least keeping tabs on a guy who defected to the enemy, just a few years before Dallas. Some might says suspicious.

florduh

In the White House statement on Friday, President Biden said he agreed with the archivist’s recommendation that records be withheld from public disclosure until December 2022.

“Temporary continued postponement,” he said, “is necessary to protect against identifiable harm to the military defense, intelligence operations, law enforcement, or the conduct of foreign relations that is of such gravity that it outweighs the public interest in immediate disclosure.”

So the man who almost certainly launched the plot to murder JFK, founding CIA Director Allen Dulles, has been dead for decades. I guess this means a few of the CIA Agents who pulled the trigger are still alive?

I was pretty agnostic about what happened on 11/22/63, until I read this book last year:

At this point if Jesus or an alien with perfect knowledge offered me a million dollars if I can guess who killed JFK, I would absolutely say Dulles. No one else had the means, the motive, AND the means to cover the whole thing up. It's sort of funny that we named an airport in our nation's capitol after the guy's brother.

The JFK assassination probably doesn't rank in a top 10 list of Dulles's crimes either. Awesome book for anyone interested in this kind of shit.

florduh,
Reactions: Planck

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The JFK assassination probably doesn't rank in a top 10 list of Dulles's crimes either. Awesome book for anyone interested in this kind of shit.
I'm depressed enough these days with the undercover workings of our government. I'll pass... :cry:

cybrguy,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

In a country that hasn’t raised its federal minimum wage since 2009, the right to sit down may not be at the top of the list of workers’ demands, but for many who are subjected to arbitrary standing for hours on end, it is certainly on the list. While there are downsides to sitting-down jobs (as any office worker will tell you, it’s not great on the body or the mind to spend day after day hunched over a computer screen), the pointless discomfort of having to stand while performing work that could easily be done from atop a stool or a chair is particularly grating.

It is very odd that we just expect people working in the Servant Class to stand all day for us when it isn't necessary.

So long as workers are told to stand when they could sit, the issue will continue to be one of the many frustrations of working in the United States. It needn’t be. If California can back workers’ right to sit down, there’s no reason the rest of the country can’t do so. Grocery workers have risked their health and safety during the pandemic, performing work that was celebrated as “essential.” If there was ever a time to let them take a load off, it’s now.

florduh

Some economists and climate scientists have calculated that climate change could cost the United States the equivalent of nearly 4% of its gross domestic product a year by 2100. Four percent is likely a conservative estimate; it leaves out consequential costs like damages from drought and climate migration. It assumes the United States and other nations eventually move away from energy generated by oil, coal and natural gas, though not as immediately as many say is needed. In this scenario, the planet will still warm by around 3 degrees Celsius by the end of the century from preindustrial levels, a change that would be disastrous.

Our current plan for dealing with climate change is 1) hoping a miracle takes place within the next 10-15 years, and 2) shifting all of the costs to future generations.

Not to invest in these societal defenses today looks like an embrace of chaos and a choice to roll the dice on a period of unpredictable and disruptive change probably greater than anything in human existence.

When the stakes are viewed this way, investing in defending economic stability seems conservative. Failing to respond to the scientific and economic forecasts is what seems dangerously radical.

As a species, we're basically doing the macro version of ignoring the "Check Engine" light so we can avoid paying a repair bill now, virtually ensuring we'll need to spend much more money on a whole new engine later.

Top Bottom