Image Attachments

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
That’s why I seldom post informative photos anymore. Not just the added steps, but as we have witnessed, all the older photos that were posted to whatever free image sites at the time, and then went under… those photos are no longer viewable in many older threads now. Since that can eventually happen again, well…….

Yeah it really sucks whatever third party service I used to use, tiny pic I think, did not keep my images hosted... Have not had that problem with imgbb yet though and I've been using it for longer now whatever that's worth

Shit Snacks,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Precisely, how did you make this post, please?

The way I do it is:
1) Load https://imgbb.com/ in a new tab
2) Drag and drop whatever pic I want to share into the imgbb page
3) Click upload
4) After upload is complete, click on the image thumbnail, which opens it full-size in a new tab surrounded by the imgbb webpage.
5) Right-click the image and select "open image in new tab", which opens the full-size image in a new tab surrounded by a black screen.
6) Copy the web address from this tab, and that is the address you will paste into the "insert image" function here in the post comment window on FC.

Shit Snacks

The way I do it is:
1) Load https://imgbb.com/ in a new tab
2) Drag and drop whatever pic I want to share into the imgbb page
3) Click upload
4) After upload is complete, click on the image thumbnail, which opens it full-size in a new tab surrounded by the imgbb webpage.
5) Right-click the image and select "open image in new tab", which opens the full-size image in a new tab surrounded by a black screen.
6) Copy the web address from this tab, and that is the address you will paste into the "insert image" function here in the post comment window on FC.

Think you would save yourself some time and effort, if after you uploaded, just click in the drop down below to view full BB code... Then you just copy what is in the [IMG brackets and paste it with text in your post here, same exact result with fewer steps :tup:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Think you would save yourself some time and effort, if after you uploaded, just click in the drop down below to view full BB code... Then you just copy what is in the [IMG brackets and paste it with text in your post here, same exact result with fewer steps :tup:
I think you might save some time?
After clicking the dropdown choice 'full BBcode' I just click the 'copy' button, then paste where I want it in the FC post.

Is there a difference? I'm never really sure what you mean by [IMG brackets, as there are several brackets. So I find the way I suggested to work fine, though I wonder if I am missing some enhancement of the process...

Pic below is the SeaGlass Carousel, Battery Park, NY, yesterday.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Same same. Semantics. All three of us are describing the same process with more or fewer steps. Using the BBCodes you can drop it right into the post and not have to bother with the image dropdown in the forum.

At this moment imgbb.com seems to be sick... [Fixed]

This is what the full BBCode looks like. If I took the asterisks out of the image tags it would post the image instead of the code.
[i*mg]https://i.ibb.co/3Ykk4QC/Keith.png[/im*g]

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
In imgbb after I select the image(s) to upload, and the folder I upload it to, if I want to post em all right away, which is usually the case, I just click "copy" right here, the window directly after the upload:

Least amount of steps possible on a phone... and I almost ALWAYS select "medium" as I usually never need to preview full-sized images and they only serve to bog down pages. Clicking the image will load the "full" size...

Shit Snacks

I think you might save some time?
After clicking the dropdown choice 'full BBcode' I just click the 'copy' button, then paste where I want it in the FC post.

Is there a difference? I'm never really sure what you mean by [IMG brackets, as there are several brackets. So I find the way I suggested to work fine, though I wonder if I am missing some enhancement of the process...

Pic below is the SeaGlass Carousel, Battery Park, NY, yesterday.

Haha yeah for me that shows URL brackets as well, sometimes an ad too every several uploads, so I always only select what is in the IMG brackets (imgur uploads I will just paste the link from my bar at the top when I want to show multiple photos in an album as they seem to display in line well here)

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: vapviking

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I want to add that, for those unsure if their pic is going to show, you can use the preview button, so you can see before your post is published (posted) exactly how it will look, make changes if needed.

(Preview icon looks like a piece of paper and a magnifying glass.)

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I never post pics from my phone, it's always from my computer.

BBCode Full looks like this: [*img]https://i.ibb.co/DfwRsKj/Spooky-Callie.jpg[/img]
BBCode Full (linked) looks like this: [ur*l=https://ibb.co/F48DN7d][i*mg]https://i.ibb.co/DfwRsKj/Spooky-Callie.jpg[/i*mg][/*url]

I don't know what BBCode Full (linked) gives you that isn't in regular BBCode Full. They seem to post the same.

I have added asterisks to these codes to prevent them from displaying images...

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Spooky-Callie.jpg

Shit Snacks

I never post pics from my phone, it's always from my computer.

BBCode Full looks like this: [*img]https://i.ibb.co/DfwRsKj/Spooky-Callie.jpg[/img]
BBCode Full (linked) looks like this: [ur*l=https://ibb.co/F48DN7d][i*mg]https://i.ibb.co/DfwRsKj/Spooky-Callie.jpg[/i*mg][/*url]

I don't know what BBCode Full (linked) gives you that isn't in regular BBCode Full. They seem to post the same.

I have added asterisks to these codes to prevent them from displaying images...

I'm always on mobile, using browser for all

Shit Snacks,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I use both iPhone and PC... it's easier to upload from my phone for the pics I take with it and screenshots I grab whilst browsing... swiping image files and "hotlinking" images from other sites is usually easier on the PC. Uploading from a PC is even easier/quicker for multiple files cuz the browser supports drag & drop. Of course overall formatting is waaay less annoying on the PC... for me anyway...

Last edited:

MrGreenspoon

Precisely, how did you make this post, please?
Hi Perfect_Speed4069 sorry for the late response. How I do it has already been written but not in one post so I will summarize it for you.
  • I have the picture on my computer
  • I open imgbb.com in my browser
  • I klick on the button "start uploading" in the middle of the screen. A window opens where I can select the picture on my computer. (If you klick on the upload button in the upper right corner you can choose between browsing your computer file system to select the picture or drag&drop)
  • In the next window I choose "don't autodelete" to make sure that the picture is online for the longest period of time
  • I klick upload
  • in the drop down field "Embed codes" I choose "BBcode full linked" and copy the displayed link under the drop down field
  • Now you are ready to leave the imgbb.com site and go back to FC
  • I insert the copied link in my post
  • I klick on the "Preview" button in the upper right corner of the posting window to make sure that the picture is displayed correctly
  • I hit the button "Post reply"
I hope I could help even if it was a little late ;)

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Okay. So in the post above, the first image is posted with straight Full BBCode. The second image is posted with. Full BBCode (linked). They appear identical. But the second one, when you hover over it with your cursor, you get hand icon that allows you to click it. If you do click it it takes you to the IMGBB site and shows you the image there. So it basically turns the image into a clickable link to the image on the site. I'm not sure exactly what advantage that gives you, but that's how the difference is manifest. Now I feel better.:rofl:

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Okay. So in the post above, the first image is posted with straight Full BBCode. The second image is posted with. Full BBCode (linked). They appear identical. But the second one, when you hover over it with your cursor, you get hand icon that allows you to click it. If you do click it it takes you to the IMGBB site and shows you the image there. So it basically turns the image into a clickable link to the image on the site. I'm not sure exactly what advantage that gives you, but that's how the difference is manifest. Now I feel better.:rofl:
Yes, exactly, that would be the "linked" part.. the smaller "preview" is only what fc displays and clicking takes you directly to the site hosting the full size image (imgbb)... instead of having it load from within fc the other way... which uses fc resources, I'd imagine...? (I'm a "print" guy, not a web guy)

Incidentally, those waiting for fc to host images again, good luck! Cuz (apparently ?) unless you wanna pay for a membership, I don't see it happening. Personally, I'm ok with it all being free...

People don't usually quickly accept change when it's forced upon them, but it's usually gonna happen whether you like it or not...:tup::peace:

Last edited:
Bologna,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Yes, exactly, that would be the "linked" part.. the smaller "preview" is only what fc displays and clicking takes you directly to the site hosting the full size image (imgbb)... instead of having it load from within fc the other way... which uses fc resources, I'd imagine...? (I'm a "print" guy, not a web guy)
I don't think it uses any FC resources. If FC was hosting the images it would, of course, but when you're clicking a link that's hosted elsewhere I suspect the only resources being used are your own ISP and the hosting sites. FC is merely providing a pointer. That's why, when a hosting site goes down, the images disappear from our posts. They are no longer pointing to anything.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I don't think it uses any FC resources. If FC was hosting the images it would, of course, but when you're clicking a link that's hosted elsewhere I suspect the only resources being used are your own ISP and the hosting sites. FC is merely providing a pointer. That's why, when a hosting site goes down, the images disappear from our posts. They are no longer pointing to anything.
Yes, and when it's "linked" fc doesn't provide anything, no pointer (essentially) and you're still viewing within fc... clicking the linked image takes you directly to imagebb to view.

Edit: but either way, posting "full-size" instead of "medium" preview files is usually entirely unnecessary (especially with newer phones and the large/hires images they produce), and only serves to bog shit down for EVERYONE, as was stated before...

Last edited:
Bologna,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
still viewing within fc
The image isn't on FC. The image is on the hosting site and it goes directly to your browser from there. The only thing FC is doing is telling your browser where to look for the image. That's just the BBCode which is text.

Regardless, most of the images that I post are only a couple 100K at most so even if they were downloading from the site it wouldn't be a lot of resources. A high resolution space pic may be an entirely different story. I may look for the source of something like that and download it from there to look deep into it...

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
no, fc still downloads placeholder low res (72dpi screen res) preview info.... I believe anyway.

I understand the original "hi res" file exists HOSTED on imgbb... that's the whole point....

Edit:
Regardless, most of the images that I post are only a couple 100K at most so even if they were downloading from the site it wouldn't be a lot of resources. A high resolution space pic may be an entirely different story. I may look for the source of something like that and download it from there to look deep into it...
Yes, of course... my suggestion isn't necessarily meant for all and every situation... if your images are already small then there's no need for "medium".... I was mostly referencing huge (usually unnecessary) phone pics.

and again, it's just a suggestion... not necessarily a judgement, per se.... :peace:

Last edited:
Bologna,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
no, fc still downloads placeholder low res (72dpi screen res) preview info.... I believe anyway.

I understand the original "hi res" file exists HOSTED on imgbb... that's the whole point....

Edit:

Yes, of course... my suggestion isn't necessarily meant for all and every situation... if your images are already small then there's no need for "medium".... I was mostly referencing huge (usually unnecessary) phone pics.
Cyberguy is correct. Nothing touches the FC servers. The image is served from your chosen hosting provider. You browser is instructed from FC's HTML to download the image from imgbb.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Cyberguy is correct. Nothing touches the FC servers. The image is served from your chosen hosting provider. You browser is instructed from FC's HTML to download the image from imgbb.
sounds super to me! I was waiting for someone with more knowledge than I to chime in... as said, I'm no web/server guy.... again, it's more about POSTING huge files (often "full size") to display in threads... which slows shit down displaying in the browser, regardless of where it's actually hosted.

Edit:
personally, I don't really care all that much about embedded images (obviously, I post a SHITLOAD) as I usually have fast internet... but it's similar to embedding multiple youtube vids and how that can cause preview errors

Last edited:
Bologna,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I decided to try uploading something from my phone and I see that IMGBB does not seem to offer the full image BBCode without the linked option as far as I can tell. I don't know why. One can pull out just the portion between the image tags and that gives you the unlinked version but it's kind of a pain. So for me, that's just another reason to do it from my computer instead of from my phone. I don't even have FC on my phone, as I don't feel the need to check it out when I'm out of the house.

I took a look to see if IMGBB might have had an Android app in the play store, but there doesn't seem to be one. I thought an app might give one more options to upload than using the website in the phone browser.

Top Bottom