• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Illinois and weed

anda1anda2

way to go Illinois...

As of 1/1/20 dispensaries open for purchases for adult recreational consumption. Possession of under 30g allowed.

No home grow, although MMJ card holders can have 5 plants.

Also, all previous convictions for possession under 30g will basically be automatically expunged.

The IL General Assembly also voted to expand MMJ qualifying conditions and make it easier to get a medical card.

Edit: I read they expect to expunge approximately 700,000 previous low level convictions.

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Legal weed sales begin in Illinois as state pardons more than 11,000 marijuana convictions

Under Illinois law, anyone over 21 with a valid state ID or driver's license can purchase recreational marijuana from licensed retailers.

1b9b2d4e-5325-4fec-80b9-f482c201aae8-AP20001513404893.jpg

Illinois governor clears thousands of marijuana convictions

Illinois’ governor granted more than 11,000 pardons for low-level marijuana convictions on Tuesday, describing the step as a first wave of thousands of such expungements anticipated under the state’s new marijuana legalization law.

The expungement process is a key part of the law, which takes effect Wednesday and made Illinois the 11th state to legalize marijuana for people 21 or older. When they crafted the policy, Illinois lawmakers said they wanted to repair some of the damage caused by law enforcement’s efforts to combat sale and use of the drug, particularly in minority communities.

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
I'm like an hour from any dispensary. So I haven't been yet. I know they said a few places sold out of flower today. I'll probably make it there in a few weeks. Let the crowds disperse and the flower to be replenished. Feels like a historic day. One to tell the grand kids many years from now. I'm hoping the prices even out also. Bit pricey. Also, I'm hoping that halves and whole ounces get sold soon. Buying by the eighth is going to get old quickly.

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
I went down to the Sunnyside in Champaign. They turned us away as they had too many people in line already. This was 5hours before they closed. Long drive for a wasted trip.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
From the outside looking in, the recreational roll out appears to be a mess. I can't believe some of the Long lines and high prices...

I'll be in Aurora and Elgin next week and wondering if I should make the effort to go to any dispensaries. Long wait times are not my jam.

Are there delivery services in Illinois?

My most important question:
What Illinois labels are producing the best concentrates and live resins?

FlyingLow,

MinnBobber

Can someone post typical prices for top shelf eighths ?

How bad is it? How much of that is tax bite?

Inquiring minds want to know

MinnBobber,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
People have been posting pictures of receipts on Facebook... There is an informative one on PanicStream on FB showing one guy paying 175 for 1.5g concentrate after taxes... EEK

FlyingLow,

Trogdor

Vapinating the peasants
I've been hearing that taxes run 25-30% once everyone gets their cut, that combined with already outrageous prices means 2020 will probably be a good year for dealers.

Funnily enough, prerolls seem like one of the better deals atm from the prices I've seen online. I might try my luck again and see if the lines are better today.

Trogdor,

buckhakeesah

Indeed taxes and prices are high. I went to support and be part of the experience. .5 g carts were 70. Eighths were 60. Edibles were 30-40 bucks. Sauce was 150 for a g of only one selection under their recreational menu. This was before tax. My bill came to 301 and I left paying 391 once the taxes were added....ouch.

I went to Rise and picked up some strawberry cough flower. I was a bit let down tbh. It was visually spectacular and seemed well grown but potency just wasn't there for me. No pungent smell at all either. It was a choice between Jack herer and this for flower. The sauce, cart and fruit chews however hit the spot and made up for the underperforming flower I got.

Very happy this moment is here!

Last edited:

Trogdor

Vapinating the peasants
Indeed taxes and prices are high. I went to support and be part of the experience. .5 g carts were 70. Eighths were 60. Edibles were 30-40 bucks. Sauce was 150 for a g of only one selection under their recreational menu. This was before tax. My bill came to 301 and I left paying 391 once the taxes were added....ouch.

I went to Rise and picked up some strawberry cough flower. I was a bit let down tbh. It was visually spectacular and seemed well grown but potency just wasn't there for me. No pungent smell at all either. It was a choice between Jack herer and this for flower. The sauce, cart and fruit chews however hit the spot and made up for the underperforming flower I got.

Very happy this moment is here!

Just out of curiosity, what day did you go and how was the line?

Trogdor,

buckhakeesah

Just out of curiosity, what day did you go and how was the line?
I was there yesterday. Got there at 1030am. I was out by 1230pm. About 150-200 people and growing when I got there. Line was moving fine. First day I went too late and it wasn't worth waiting around at any location.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Hate to hear it is a 2+ hour experience... May not have time for that kind of shenanigans during this work trip.

Gunky

Well, they are certainly pricing it at a level that ensures the survival of the black market. It's progress, I guess. Maybe it will even out once the supply and distribution catches up.

Gunky,
Reactions: Magic9

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Everyone I know in town is 100% sticking to black market flowers; but when it comes to concentrates in other states, I've generally found quality to be far superior on the legal side.

The concentrates, pens, edibles and beverages will be retail's biggest draw.

Should I get the opportunity, it looks like I will likely land at Verilife North Aurora and/or Zen Leaf St Charles.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: Magic9

Adobewan

Thought I’d chime in regarding flower pricing where it’s been legal for some time. Here in Californian, in the beginning, flower prices were so high and taxed even higher(starting at $400 an ounce) I said I’d never go to another dispensary, but I was recently taken to one in LA(never say never) where they now have ounces of high quality Skywalker OG for $130.
Hopefully, all legal state’s prices will eventually settle down as well.

Schlumples

Resident Otter
Congrats IL. Hopefully NY joins you this year. I was let down last year, should've been a shoe-in.
I go to MA and believe it or not their lines can still be 1.5-2 hours even a year after opening! But it's not always like that, I've also been in and out in 10 minutes.
I do believe pricing will come down with time, and nation-wide legalization would likely help bring it down further. Only a matter of time.

Might be a good time to visit my sister in Chicago soon. Except, I don't get along with her. But weed helps with that, right? :D

Tranquility

I want to remind folks that chaos ruled the markets when recreational cannabis went legal in Washington State. Now years later, I can pick up ounces of 29% THC for as low as $120. It gets better....
That's Washington state. Try California.

https://marijuanarates.com/blog/california-marijuana-prices/

(At least twice as much as WA on average.)

I suspect it depends on how the state's legislature implements the law. In California, they immediately budgeted and spent the money they believed they would get and it seems the entire focus is to keep that money pot full. Washington may be different even though its taxing levels are high. Illinois seems to have similar to California money problems (Underfunded pensions and medical for retirees.) and I bet they will be more like CA than WA.

Legalization is not a panacea. It's better than the War on Drugs. However, cheap weed does not help the state in either of the two basic goals it has; to increase revenue and to decrease youth usage.

Expensive weed might.

The more expensive the flower, the less the kids can afford. And, putting a percentage tax on $100 worth is less than the value of the same percentage on $200 worth. Since we will assume more is sold when it is cheap, this calculation might require a little calculus to find the "best" (most profitable) point.

https://www.dummies.com/education/e...ate-price-elasticity-of-demand-with-calculus/

Tranquility,
Reactions: macbill
Top Bottom