I need a good scale.

daoist

So I had a good scale. But it does not go on anymore. i think the on/off button has a bad contact.
I was actually very happy with the scale because it was very accurate. I also used it for cooking. it was this one:
550x433.jpg

I like a precision of 0,01 gram and can handle a bit of weight (500gram) because i like to use it for cooking food too.
The scale in the picture is not in stock anymore and has been out of stock for a while.

I like to find an alternative that is precise, accurate, and durable.
A lot of these micro-dosing scales are way the fuck off with their accuracy. So before i buy another piece of crap, let me know your experience.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
With that low of a precision needed, just about any kitchen or postal scale available on Amazon will probably be fine, as long as it lists up to 0.01 grams. I don't think you really need to be too picky.

RobbIt

With that low of a precision needed, just about any kitchen or postal scale available on Amazon will probably be fine, as long as it lists up to 0.01 grams. I don't think you really need to be too picky.
I don’t know if there’s much difference with the expensive ones but I have two under $25 each are not accurate at all for partial grams.

Ramahs

I don’t know if there’s much difference with the expensive ones but I have two under $25 each are not accurate at all for partial grams.

It depends on how precise you want. The scale you buy should go at least one decimal place (and two is better) beyond what you are trying to read.

Like, if you want to read nearest to the closest gram, then you want a scale that reads to 0.01 grams. If you want to read partial grams, then you want a scale that reads to at least 0.001 grams if you are trying to be fairly accurate to the tenth of a gram, etc.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
So I had a good scale. But it does not go on anymore. i think the on/off button has a bad contact.
I was actually very happy with the scale because it was very accurate. I also used it for cooking. it was this one:
550x433.jpg

I like a precision of 0,01 gram and can handle a bit of weight (500gram) because i like to use it for cooking food too.
The scale in the picture is not in stock anymore and has been out of stock for a while.

I like to find an alternative that is precise, accurate, and durable.
A lot of these micro-dosing scales are way the fuck off with their accuracy. So before i buy another piece of crap, let me know your experience.

One of the most popular scales used in ejuice making, and I own, comes with weights to calibrate and test.
Can be found online for $25-35.

American Weigh Scales LB501 Digital Kitchen Scale​

Green Kiwi

Same here, cheap one's I have are just bullshiting you( I honestly don't know why I still have them because not fit for purpose), one time to much, then not enough , and for some reason never on spot......:cuss:.
Yes I bought a 129$ one and wauw, that's accurate reliable!👏.
it's a Aitkan 300 cr. goes up to 300 grams.

Green Kiwi,
Reactions: LesPlenty

daoist

Well the opening post has a picture of the scale that stopped working. it was actually really accurate and with repeatable results after 10 times weiging the same thing.

I have used cheap scales before, but if you weight the same thing 5 times in a row you get 5 different outcomes.
I dont need that.

And for those who are too high to to do math: 0,01 gram is 1/100 of a gram. Not a 10th.

daoist,
Reactions: Jill NYC

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
If you really want to overpay for a scale, the coffee world is in love with https://acaia.co/. I own the Lunar myself and it was a tremendous waste of $150 as my cheap generic amazon scale comes up with the same weights (though a bit slower, but as you didn't mention that you'd be making pour overs or pulling espresso with it I think that probably doesn't matter).

If I could go and do it over I'd maybe splurge a bit on the My Weigh barista scale. They have several other models that would serve your purpose and work as a great kitchen scale. The big advantage I see here is that these can be calibrated, but bear in mind that NSF certified calibration weights required can sometimes cost well more than the scale--I think the My Weigh barista specifies a 2000g weight for calibration, and the last time I remember looking those were like $40+?

Ramahs

And for those who are too high to to do math: 0,01 gram is 1/100 of a gram. Not a 10th.

We know that. What I was saying is that you want a scale that goes at least a decimal further, if not two, than the decimal place you want to be accurately measuring to. In other words, if you want to measure accurately in the realm of a tenth of a gram, then you want a scale that measures AT LEAST to a hundredth of a gram at minimum.

daoist

I just want a scale that gives me the same number if i weigh the same thing 5 times.
My former scale worked great and accurate and did exactly that. if your scale is off than you bought an inaccurate scale.

you can actually buy little weights to calibrate the scale so you can make sure it is accurate.

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I just want a scale that gives me the same number if i weigh the same thing 5 times
I was looking at these for your reason,
But my $25 set with calibration weight has the extra decimal point, just tape over that last decimal point and a cheap version will work great for you.

Ramahs

I just want a scale that gives me the same number if i weigh the same thing 5 times.
My former scale worked great and accurate and did exactly that. if your scale is off than you bought an inaccurate scale.

you can actually buy little weights to calibrate the scale so you can make sure it is accurate.

"The scale you buy should go at least one decimal place (and two is better) beyond what you are trying to read."

^ This rule also applies to the expensive scales.

daoist

That is just bullshit. I had a scale that measured accurate and consistent and it was about 35 euro. It measured up to 0,01 precision, and did it consistently. Unfortunately it is no longer in stock.

So hopefully i can find an alternative.

daoist,
Reactions: RobbIt

daoist

I bought a scale from the german webshop. it has good reviews on amazon and also it is made in germany.
it can do 500 gram with 0,01gr accuracy and it can be calibrated.

Planck

believes in Dog
I don't care if you agree.

Let's say I need to measure 1 pound accurately.
Let's say I have a scale that reads 1, 2, 3 etc. with no decimal place.

Ok so far?
How accurate is this scale?
Now add 1 decimal place.
How accurate is this scale?
Hopefully you are starting to see a pattern here.

daoist

all i care about is consistency and accuracy. what you are saying is i need to buy a scale with 0,001 accuracy because you assume it is not going to be accurate. that is the most stupid logic i have ever heard. I just want the correct weight, so if something weights 0,13 gram the scale should show 0,13 gram. And if i measure it 6 times more, it still should show me 0,13 gram, 6 times in a row. I don't need anything more than that.

i had a scale with 0,01 accuracy before and it worked great an consistent. when it broke and it was not available anymore i bought a different one. that one showed 5 different numbers after you weight the same thing 5 times in a row.

there is just bad scales and there are good scales, but nobody really seems to know which are the good ones. i just assume the germans take this stuff serious and the scale will be oke.

daoist,

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Accuracy and range are related, I wouldn't consider using a scale capable of 0,001 accuracy for anything in my kitchen activities...

At that degree of accuracy I would question anything below a few hundred #

I got absolutely sick and tired of buying cheap throwaway scales so eventually invested in a set of shopkeepers scales for the kitchen - they are SOLID designed for heavy use they get light use in my kitchen and are going strong years later!

Accuracy is definitely vague at the last displayed digit at whatever accuracy you have, perhaps an example will help:

Two weights measured in super expensive lab with insanely accurate scales: 0.0303456g || 0.0296976g

Weight measured by scale with 1g accuracy: 0 || 0​
Weight measured by scale with 1/10g accuracy: 0.3 || 0.3 << see how that is not really 'accurate' but still within the tolerance of the scale?​
Weight measured by scale with 1/100g accuracy: 0.30 || 0.30 << see how that is still not really 'accurate' but still within the tolerance of the scale?​

For most general purposes this is 'accurate enough' if you want to measure to 0,01 degree of accuracy!

It is not accurate enough to reliably measure that next decimal point but it might give you a clue.

To go to the next level of accuracy you do need the additional points, for each additional point, you can say with a higher degree of certainty that your lower degree of accuracy is 'accurate'.

The reason that you see the flickering is because the electronic circuits are poorly designed to deal with the mechanical aspects of the scale. This happens in any analogue to digital conversion. The circuit isn't capable of deciding whether it should display a 6 or a 7 at that final degree of accuracy. Some smarter circuit designers force the decision by measuring the number of fluctuations and if it is more than a certain number within a certain time period* the number is artificially fixed, it is this feature that identifies what you are calling 'good scales'.

Hope this helps!

* actually this probably isn't true, there are other methods of debouncing that don't require such degrees of sophistication, however, I think it illustrates the phenomena and a solution quite well so sticking with it!

Edit, I changed the example slightly to make it (hopefully) clearer!

Last edited:

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
all i care about is consistency and accuracy. what you are saying is i need to buy a scale with 0,001 accuracy because you assume it is not going to be accurate. that is the most stupid logic i have ever heard. I just want the correct weight, so if something weights 0,13 gram the scale should show 0,13 gram. And if i measure it 6 times more, it still should show me 0,13 gram, 6 times in a row. I don't need anything more than that.

i had a scale with 0,01 accuracy before and it worked great an consistent. when it broke and it was not available anymore i bought a different one. that one showed 5 different numbers after you weight the same thing 5 times in a row.

there is just bad scales and there are good scales, but nobody really seems to know which are the good ones. i just assume the germans take this stuff serious and the scale will be oke.
I think the issue that you are not understanding is that a scale that shows only to 0.01g is going to display the same measurement for 1.001g as it is for 1.004g (and similar if it follows conventional rounding rules for 1.005 to 1.009).

Given what this thread caters to I don't think that is likely to matter, but you come off as naive at best and kind of an ass at worst when you tell everyone who is patiently trying to explain this to you that you "disagree" and think they are wrong or stupid because your definition of "correct weight" includes a healthy margin of error.

Top Bottom