How to: Low Temp Dabs On Quartz Nails -OR- "Whats Your Style?"

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
What about using one if those little jelly jars you get with hotel room service. I have several of those. I wonder if that would work. The flower bowl that came with my do20 would work well also.

CrazyDiamond

Spirit of the Dark Horse
So if there is a little tiny part of the slits showing when capped, that would be perfect then?
Referencing this...
BWG-CCQDAISY-4T.jpg

BWG-CCQDAISY-3T.jpg

CrazyDiamond,
Reactions: DieHard

farscaper

So if there is a little tiny part of the slits showing when capped, that would be perfect then?
Referencing this...
BWG-CCQDAISY-4T.jpg

BWG-CCQDAISY-3T.jpg
do you have that exact one?

if you do...

http://dabfarm.bigcartel.com/product/c2-glass-carb-cap-dabber-combo

those are made to match...

like I mentioned earlier all quartz is diffrent... I have a "castle quartz" an I have a hunch the bowl diameter and depth is what makes this style difficult to make recommendations on. where as the cup and bangers all pretty much react the same way and have the same kinda airflow. bangers and cups are more asymbled where as daisy castles are literally "blown"

@CrazyDiamond where did you pick yours up.... wait did I already ask that?

edit: dude I didnt even answer your question... no slits showing on the outside would cool the underside of the puddle cup and incomplete vape.

sorry im half spaced and working on a "spaced" painting lol

CrazyDiamond

Spirit of the Dark Horse
Ooooo a space painting you say??? :brow:
Yes it is that exact one (but I don't remember mine having the logo).
Thanks for the link....grrrr $40 though...and everything I have just barely doesn't cover the slits :bang:

edit: ok I'm an idiot (not about the carb cap) but about how I heated the C2 quartz nail. I was heating it like my Ti nail...saw some vids on the tube from C2 showing that you heat just the center where you drop the dab :doh:

Caligula

Maximus
@farscaper having researched this in slow motion video, I find that carb capping makes the oil thin and spread out over a large portion of the available surface area on the nail. While heat retention/reflection and airflow restriction all play a part in assisting vaporization (re: carb capping), I believe that it is this aspect which matters most. It's because of this thinning/spreading that you get a more complete vape at lower temps where puddling would normally occur.

Not sure as to the physics behind this is though. I'm assuming it has something to do with oils tendency to run away from heat.

farscaper

Ooooo a space painting you say??? :brow:
Yes it is that exact one (but I don't remember mine having the logo).
Thanks for the link....grrrr $40 though...and everything I have just barely doesn't cover the slits :bang:

edit: ok I'm an idiot (not about the carb cap) but about how I heated the C2 quartz nail. I was heating it like my Ti nail...saw some vids on the tube from C2 showing that you heat just the center where you drop the dab :doh:
that is how I heat mine. right on top. no side action at all... the oil spreads to the fins and underside of the cup so the cup being throughly heated is key for a bigger dab on them... heating from the side may not always heat the cup unless you overtorch and wait for it to cool... which I think is where some have trouble catching the dab spot. I just heat it til the fins glow red a bit and drop torch pick up dabber dab cap enjoy.

whats the exact diameter of your daisy nail?

@Caligula ime I totally agree.... the banger ime spreads all over the cup.... so if it wasnt all heated you lose some. and the tube seems to collect claim like crazy! itll run down back into the cup when reheating... it seems a mess at times.... today ive been using the quartz castle, quartz banger and quartz cup all 14mm.

I still think its time for a enail lol.

CrazyDiamond

Spirit of the Dark Horse
This is what was listed on the page..
Size: 1.25" (tall) x 1.00" (wide)
I'm not at home right now so I can't measure it directly.

CrazyDiamond,

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
I'm waiting patiently for my FLEXO enail beta-test unit from W9. Ok not so patiently.
What about the VB2?

DieHard,
Reactions: Caligula

CrazyDiamond

Spirit of the Dark Horse
Update!! The first time I looked through all my accessories I didn't find anything that would work with my C2 quartz daisy nail. Then I remembered my LSV and and the water pipe adapters that I bought for it. Both the 14mm and 18mm WPA work, but I only tried the 14mm since it has a smaller hole (was thinking what @Caligula said about restricting the airflow not stopping it) and heating it properly as @farscaper said; both worked perfectly!

Caligula

Maximus
Well, after talking to @mvapes I decided that even 700°F was too hot for manually heated quartz. It can still burn your oil and foul the nail. I also discovered how critical a PROPER carb-cap is.

Ill write things up in more detail when I'm not so pilted, but here is a video highlighting both of these "advances" in my personal technique.

The dab hits the nail at ~575°F if you're keeping score... and check out what a huge difference that carb cap makes!

Also IDK if you can tell, but Im pulling like a mofo after a while in order to further distribute the oil across the nail's surface. You can probably hear the whistle from the carb hole in the cap, lol. In retrospect I think i pulled a bit too hard. There should be a balance between oil distribution and premature cooling of the nail.

Also special thanks to @masaki for hooking it up with that sweet Ti dabber and cap.

I should also note that this temp works with my CLEAN (read, it was new when i started) nail. Ive never dabbed over 600°F on this, and Ive hit it at least 2 dozen times... and look how clean it is still! My last nail was completely opaque by this point in its life.

Also, that yellow residue you see burns off completely, so its back to brand new looking every time. In any case, I found you need to increase the temp by 50-100° if you have that black insulating residue already built up on your nail.

Last edited:
Top Bottom