• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

How to clean vape parts and reclaim resin

The Stranger

Account Closed
Wait What ? @Quetzalcoatl I can just vape the stuff I get off my EQ parts with q tips to get high? do i need to remove it from the cotton q tip surely that can't be safe to vape ?
I think the reclaim vaporizes at a much lower temperature so as long as you don't combust the cotton it should be fine. Same principle when vaporizing e juice off cotton in an e cig, I guess.

The Stranger,
Hi @vtac !

First, congratulations and thanks for the guide! I followed your steps and the result was this:

I think it was slightly darker than normal, due to the fact that it joined the residues of the grinder (correct me if I'm wrong!). In fact, you can see the image, which in the middle has some kief! But now I have some questions:

1. What is the best way to be able to take the debris that was left on the plate?
2. How / where to store it without suffering any kind of contamination?
3. How vaporize properly without damaging the vaporizer?
In this case, Mighty!
4. How do I know the amount I have to put?
Since I never vaporizei resin!

Thanks in advance!

Big hug!

bluenavey00

Arizer Air Aficionado
1. What is the best way to be able to take the debris that was left on the plate?

I take as much off as I can with a razor blade, once you have the majority off, I heat the object the debris are on with a hair dryer from below. Then take a small piece of natural cotton and rub it all over the surface and it will pick it up. Depending on your vape you can maybe put this cotton straight in, and I find it's very potent.

bluenavey00,
I take as much off as I can with a razor blade, once you have the majority off, I heat the object the debris are on with a hair dryer from below. Then take a small piece of natural cotton and rub it all over the surface and it will pick it up. Depending on your vape you can maybe put this cotton straight in, and I find it's very potent.

Hi @bluenavey00

Thanks for the answer.
It's the only way? If it is, you will have to wait, because I'm not home natural cotton.
The vape I have is the Mighty.

Big hug

N1ghtWalker,

JimmyCricket

Question: I just cleaned my vapes and grinder with iso and am going to evap the alcohol. Should I run this through a coffee filter first or do I want to keep that plant material in the mixture?

JimmyCricket,

JimmyCricket

So I evaped it with a hot plate and heres the results:

It came out really dry not oily at all. Is that normal or did I mess something up?

JimmyCricket,
Hi @JimmyCricket

As you may have noticed, I have a lot of experience on the subject, but I'm pretty sure that this is not the aspect that had to have! If your realizing above, I put a picture and has nothing to do with this. It is quite sticky! The only (apparently) difference to the applied method was simply let evaporate naturally overnight. I did not use any kind of heat, fan, nothing. Therefore, it may be the fact that you too hot to stay that way. But beware, my opinion, is worth what it is worth!

Big hug.

JimmyCricket

Hi @JimmyCricket

As you may have noticed, I have a lot of experience on the subject, but I'm pretty sure that this is not the aspect that had to have! If your realizing above, I put a picture and has nothing to do with this. It is quite sticky! The only (apparently) difference to the applied method was simply let evaporate naturally overnight. I did not use any kind of heat, fan, nothing. Therefore, it may be the fact that you too hot to stay that way. But beware, my opinion, is worth what it is worth!

Big hug.

Yeah I probably used too much heat, but hopefully that doesn't mean i got rid of all the good stuff in it!

JimmyCricket,

Mailinpox

I recently changed my ariser extreme whip and made sure to always store it after use so the hose was in a hanging U shape. After a month once a considerable amount of oil accumulated I cut the tube section containing it out, and emptied it into a clean empty syringe. This is about one months worth of oil (from 1.5 oz). Looking forward to trying this stuff out! It is 0.25ml.

jtkj2x.jpg

skaav

So I evaped it with a hot plate and heres the results:

It came out really dry not oily at all. Is that normal or did I mess something up?

This is what it looks like if you dont properly filter your stuff btw, unless im very mistaken.
All that material should not be there, did you run your iso/solvent rhough a coffee filter a few times after rinsing? Otherwise that stuff is basicaly just bleached ABV with 0 goodness left, and if you press that stuff you will get the nastiest Oil ever, talking from experience here.

After scraping that stuff together was there a sticky substance left on your scraping tool? If so, that is your ruined resin.

skaav,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
This is what it looks like if you dont properly filter your stuff btw.
Heavily disagree. Almost all of the ISO extract I ever made dried out into that white flaky consistency. If it weren't filtered properly then there would be bits of plant matter visible. When it melts it will resemble oil. Read closer he cleaned vape parts and grinders. not ABV.

JimmyCricket

Heavily disagree. Almost all of the ISO extract I ever made dried out into that white flaky consistency. If it weren't filtered properly then there would be bits of plant matter visible. When it melts it will resemble oil. Read closer he cleaned vape parts and grinders. not ABV.

If I recall correctly, I did filter it, but it did not come out oily at all. I have tried some and it does get me high tho. Tastes like alcohol tho. Where did I go wrong? Too much heat?

JimmyCricket,

banana_republic

Hello!

I kinda had a very nice and interesting conversation, one of these days, on vaporizers safety, reclaiming and re-vaping reclaim.

I do believe from what I've read and experienced that vaporizers should not produce tar (only when malfunctioning, therefore they're not being actual vaporizers, combustion happened and its sub-products appeared...) and that if combustion did not happen, it is safe to reclaim from vape parts, either scraping or ISO-washing (and later evaporating iso), and vaporize (re-vape) the reclaimed resin, which is basically condensed vapor. I believe I can rely on digital vapes (solo, as an example) and/or on my personal experience to quite easily notice the difference from vapor to smoke. I do reclaim resin from my vape parts, either using iso or scraping. When combustion eventually happens, I clean the vape parts discarding the avb and iso.

The guy I was talking to, on the other side argued that, from his personal experience, any electronic vape is not reliable enough (he seems to have a 7+ year old arizer whip vape) and its thermal sensors fail somehow and make it combust frequently, for pretty short lapses of time, and that would cause the glass parts, whip and everything to always contain unwanted smoke subproducts, as tar. Therefore, reclaiming, even "dry" (as scraping) is nasty, unhealthy, disgusting, should not be encouraged, you know...

Also, and more interesting he said, he believes iso wash is never safe as a method for extraction (or reclaiming), because iso can never be completely removed/purged from the concentrate itself, 'cause of superficial tension in the resin molecules (or something like that), that causes small bubbles of iso to get trapped in there, and that smoking or vaporizing even a tiny amount of iso would be quite harmful to anyone's health.

I did some research over the Internet and read a bit of this topic and could not find something really scientific on vapor parts reclaim, and/or iso wash concentrates. But, all I could find led me to keep on believing iso wash concentrates (as soon as iso has evaporated), and vaporizer reclaim are safe.

But, I am always open to change my mind and learn something new, or review something that maybe I was not viewing the right way, because I, maybe, did not have information enough to realize... so, I kinda ask you guys for help, knowledge and ideas on these issues I came up quite curious about, and that, maybe, if some of what my buddy is concerned about may be true, must be some interesting topic to discuss about...

Thanks and cheers!

jvoltios

Hi everyone,

I own a Plenty vaporizer and a Crafty. I read somewhere that whip-styled vapes are no good when it comes to reclaiming residues. Is this true for some reason? I hope it's just wrong information.

Yesterday I poured ISO inside my Plenty's whip and shook it for about 10 minutes, then left the liquid in a glass container for the ISO to evaporate. It had a dark brownish colour (I rarely clean my Plenty, it's performance has been absolutely fantastic since day one and I'm about to celebrate it's first birthday). I hope I'm not doing something wrong. Then I could just scrap the hash and place a tiny bit on top of my usual dosage and vape away... right?

Me and the wife have an average tolerance, we usually fill half an oven and use the liquid pad on top with great results. Considering that my process is right, how much would it be too much? I know it's a broad question and it depends on the strain and potency, but I'm an absolute noob when it comes to this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

jvoltios,

howie105

Hey jvoltios some variables to consider, not all reclaim (like bud and dabs) is the same and neither is everyone’s tolerance or expectations. Most times my bud reclaim gets me a better buzz then I was expecting but to to be honest I would rather just reload then go through all the trouble. My suggestion is however go for it, its instructive and you might be one of the folks who really enjoy the heck out of reclaim. Just make sure you get as much of the alcohol out as you can.

Smokey McVape

I would guess that the resin in a vape may be cleaner.. But resin in a bong and such seem like it would be filled with tar... Which is not good for you from what I understand. Even if the resin from a bong has a high thc content, is it really worth it?
Reclaim from a vaporizer is pure Rosin. No tar or any other nasty shit in there. Why anybody would want reclaim after combusting is beyond me.

Last edited:
Smokey McVape,

Baron23

I just don't think purging ISO and then vaping the resulting product is really safe for most home users, and certainly not me.

If you want to use solvent and purge to vape, personally I would try ethyl alcohol (Everclear).

Me, lately when I get a lot of reclaim in say an enail drop down or a Mighty CU, I dissolve the reclaim in a small bit of Everclear, add the mixer of my choice, and then down the hatch.

Just make sure you're not scheduled to do anything for the next six hours. LOL

Dynalowrider

I make a tincture by soaking reclaim parts in Everclear. A few drops in Jack puts me to sleep. I've been drinking Jack Daniels since it was "Old No. 6". Doc

Dynalowrider,
Reactions: Baron23

MileHighHuman

I just don't think purging ISO and then vaping the resulting product is really safe for most home users, and certainly not me.

If you want to use solvent and purge to vape, personally I would try ethyl alcohol (Everclear).

Me, lately when I get a lot of reclaim in say an enail drop down or a Mighty CU, I dissolve the reclaim in a small bit of Everclear, add the mixer of my choice, and then down the hatch.

Just make sure you're not scheduled to do anything for the next six hours. LOL
I make a tincture by soaking reclaim parts in Everclear. A few drops in Jack puts me to sleep. I've been drinking Jack Daniels since it was "Old No. 6". Doc

Ive got some sublimate I've been wanting to try doing this with. But not only is the taste holding me off, i also hate those cannabis tasting burps that edibles/tinctures give me. Got any issues with those or no? Lol.

MileHighHuman,

Baron23

Ive got some sublimate I've been wanting to try doing this with. But not only is the taste holding me off, i also hate those cannabis tasting burps that edibles/tinctures give me. Got any issues with those or no? Lol.
Didn't notice any MJ farts or burps. I just mixed the everclear with a bit of cranberry juice and seven-up and down the hatch.

Ain't saying it taste like an 18 y.o. Irish whiskey....but it did medicate me strongly.

thorpeclayton

In addition to containing sticky oils, vapor is warmer than most parts in the air path so condensation occurs. After repeated use you'll notice a golden resin building up. There are a few ways to reclaim it.

wand-resin.jpg

Cannabis Vapor Condensate

Alcohol dissolves the resin which can then be used in a tincture or evaporated leaving the resin to vape.

If you plan on making a tincture, use alcohol safe for human consumption. Everclear, vodka, or another high proof distilled beverage.

If you plan on evaporating, use Isopropyl alcohol as it should evaporate the most cleanly. 99 or 50%, it doesn't really matter, higher percentages will work faster, the remaining percentage should be water only. Read the label. Grain alcohol contains trace amounts of sugar which can end up in your resin. Other alcohols contain bittering agents and nasty shit you don't want in your resin. See below for evaporation methods.

Scraping is an easy method that can work well with some heavily coated pieces. Use a suitable tool such as a bamboo skewer or bent paperclip. Chilling the piece for 30 minutes in a freezer prior to scraping helps loosen the resin. Video

Fats such as butter and cooking oil can be heated and used to melt the resin for use in edibles.

Heating glass parts gently with a torch works well for oil vapes. Video

How to clean specific parts

Various glass parts: Extreme, Vapolution, etc.

Soak the parts in a tall glass or ziplock bag until the resin is dissolved, scrape with cotton swab etc., if necessary. Cover the glass with plastic wrap to prevent evaporation while soaking.

Wands: SSV, DB, VW, etc.

I like this method because it's fast.
  • Cover the bottom of the wand tightly with plastic wrap and rubber band or hold it with your finger
  • Scrape any thick spots around the bowl with the blunt end of a bamboo skewer
  • Fill wand half way with iso and cover top with plastic wrap and rubber band
  • Shake the hell out of it until it starts to look clean
  • See Evaporation below
Frickr has an easy method for cleaning wands using an air pump.

PD tubes
You can use the supplied purple cleaning bottles to soak the tubes. Personally I like to use the wand cleaning technique described above. An eye dropper is perfect for filling the tube, just hold both ends with your finger and thumb and shake. Rinse with hot water.

Whip tubing
Personally I don't use alcohol on whip tubing because of the porousness; it can affect the tubing causing it to smell like alcohol and there's a possibility of plasticizers leeching into the alcohol if you plan on reclaiming the resin. You can get a long screw with a head slightly larger than the inside diameter of your tubing and push it through to squeegee out the resin. Easier if you cut the tubing into smaller sections. Check out Spiral's thread on this.

Evaporation
  • Pour the liquid through a filter (optional but will result in a cleaner product) into a pyrex pie plate
  • Place the pie plate on a pot filled with hot water to speed evaporation DO THIS OUTSIDE, THE FUMES ARE TOXIC AND FLAMMABLE
  • Once the alcohol has fully evaporated, scrape up the resin with a razor blade

Optionally you can gather the resin on a pin and gently heat it with a torch. Let it drip into a dish and stir. This should help remove any traces of remaining alcohol.

Any resin left in the plate after scraping can be salvaged by rubbing with butter for a snack.

Freshly scraped straight from the wand..

How to vape the resin
Topic for another thread.
That is some next level shit my man, I was reading this blog post since im not a dabber... http://vaping.live/can-you-smoke-weed-in-a-dry-herb-vaporizer/ SO I was loking for vape reclaim from dry herb and this is pretty awesome sicne ihave a dynavap - did you know you can get reclaim from dry herb??

thorpeclayton,
Top Bottom