How to clean vape parts and reclaim resin

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
so, by purge i mean evaporate or otherwise (purge) remove the solvents from what would be your end product...
i typically dont deal in ISO, hate the stuff except for when its going down the drain... but i think you have gotten enough health sermons for one day :rolleyes:

so, winterization is a process in making absolutes involving Butane extraction, and since we are messn with strait combustion resin idk that it will help, but it might... basically u would freeze the solution of iso and resin for as long as u can stand lol usually overnight or 24hr period. then you would strain that through a filter to remove the plant waxes and such. In this case the purpose would be to coagulate anything that would otherwise sneak through the filtering process thereby causing its coagulated form to become trapped in the filter. make sense?

i would follow this process myself if i were doing what ur doing.

clean piece
winterize
filter
evaporate

now, if ur looking for an alternative to vaping it you could try eating it... frankly it would be less gross IMO and probably less caustic since MOST digestive systems can tolerate a little more abuse than the respiratory system. I do this with all my reclaim... especially since once its vaped its decarbed... so if thats ur cup o tea :cool:

clean piece
winterize
filter
evaporate
scrape it up and add coconut oil.

ill gladly go into more options and details if ur interested in the latter solution.

I would fill it til there is a liquid level above the product. your going to have to squeeze the material dry to get every last drop of gooieness out... i suggest a french coffee press for this.
I purchased mine to make hash oils and now its the only way i have coffee lol 2 fold!

Very cool - so I am going to do it, do I retain all the fluid I get out on the plate or just the thickest of the muck?

mvapes,

farscaper

Very cool - so I am going to do it, do I retain all the fluid I get out on the plate or just the thickest of the muck?

not sure i understand, do you mean what will be left after you purge the ISO from the plate?

can you elaborate :)

farscaper,

Vitolo

Vaporist
not sure i understand, do you mean what will be left after you purge the ISO from the plate?

can you elaborate :)
He means "GET RID OF"...
that is the definition of purge.

"what will be left" is "what remains"

Photoon2011-07-06at1737.jpg
"PURGE" the liquid

"What will be left"
Photoon2011-08-25at16432.jpg

When done scraping "What will be left", after the "PURGE"
Photoon2011-07-06at19192.jpg

farscaper

He means "GET RID OF"...

i dont know how to respond cause u keep editing ur post lol

tehe he poke poke:D

i wasnt sure if he was inquiring as to weather some of the liquid will need to be tossed out or if all of it should be purged...

i guess thats what i was asking him?

farscaper,

friedbanana8

so, by purge i mean evaporate or otherwise (purge) remove the solvents from what would be your end product...
i typically dont deal in ISO, hate the stuff except for when its going down the drain... but i think you have gotten enough health sermons for one day :rolleyes:

so, winterization is a process in making absolutes involving Butane extraction, and since we are messn with strait combustion resin idk that it will help, but it might... basically u would freeze the solution of iso and resin for as long as u can stand lol usually overnight or 24hr period. then you would strain that through a filter to remove the plant waxes and such. In this case the purpose would be to coagulate anything that would otherwise sneak through the filtering process thereby causing its coagulated form to become trapped in the filter. make sense?

i would follow this process myself if i were doing what ur doing.

clean piece
winterize
filter
evaporate

now, if ur looking for an alternative to vaping it you could try eating it... frankly it would be less gross IMO and probably less caustic since MOST digestive systems can tolerate a little more abuse than the respiratory system. I do this with all my reclaim... especially since once its vaped its decarbed... so if thats ur cup o tea :cool:

clean piece
winterize
filter
evaporate
scrape it up and add coconut oil.

ill gladly go into more options and details if ur interested in the latter solution.

I would fill it til there is a liquid level above the product. your going to have to squeeze the material dry to get every last drop of gooieness out... i suggest a french coffee press for this.
I purchased mine to make hash oils and now its the only way i have coffee lol 2 fold!

thanks man, i had already started to evap, but come next time when my vape pieces get heavy in resin ill go ahead with the process you described. I think ima just combust it. Ive only tried two edibles from two different dispensaries, but both of them didn't have any affect on me at all. They were delicious though!

friedbanana8,

z9

I wouldn't winterize if eating it, there's little benefit in winterization if you aren't vaping it. Its unnecessary for eating and there's some a loss in material. The oil wont go as far eating it, why add a stop that will increase loss. For inhalation, I'd say winterize.
I would only use squeeze the iso out if I was going to eat it, you'll end up with more chlorophyll doing that; NOT ideal for vaping. Freezing your abv and iso will lessen the amount of unwanted stuff absorbed by the alcohol, good for vaping but unneeded for eating.

MM - how much ISO do you use? Fill the jar, half jar, etc...?

More iso will decreases loss due to the abv holding alcohol and the filters absorbing alcohol, but it will take longer to purge and obviously requires more alcohol. Vice versa for less iso. I usually go just above the level of my herb.

I still stand that winterization is an unnecessary step unless you're vaping, the only reasons you want to remove the waxes and stuff in the first place is because the waxes aren't exactly good for your lungs.

z9,
Reactions: mvapes

Vitolo

Vaporist
All of it "gotten rid of" you can not toss out a "portion" of a solvent... a solvent will always have some material in it so you must evaporate....

i dont know how to respond cause u keep editing ur post lol

I didn't edit... in fact, I did a general "forum no-no" and made a second post "back to back" out of sheer laziness!
(won't post back to back again if I can help it~)

friedbanana8

I would not put anything that has been combusted .. this includes resins and tars into
ANY device that was EVER used or will EVER be used for vapor.
Why not spread it on a paper, roll a doobie and get rid of it for once and for all.

yeah that sounds like the way to go. i also got a bit of keif in the grinder to throw on top too!

friedbanana8,

friedbanana8

That will be one "PRIMO" doobie, to kill the last remnants of your days of combustion~
it'll be my last hotbox too. Ima miss them days of smoking it up in my car with my pals and walking out like there was an explosion behind us or a random ass fog machine. Epic exits i call them.

Oh well on to good health and practical measures!

farscaper

All of it "gotten rid of" you can not toss out a "portion" of a solvent... a solvent will always have some material in it so you must evaporate....

I didn't edit... in fact, I did a general "forum no-no" and made a second post "back to back" out of sheer laziness!
(won't post back to back again if I can help it~)

I think i was actually seeing ur post being created as i was selecting to reply to you, HOW WEIRD!!!

He means "GET RID OF"...

Photoon2011-07-06at1737.jpg
"PURGE" the liquid

"What will be left"
Photoon2011-08-25at16432.jpg

When done scraping "What will be left", after the "PURGE"
Photoon2011-07-06at19192.jpg
see how it became dry after he finished kinda looks almost crumbly some times IMO.

farscaper,

Vitolo

Vaporist
unaided, overnight is a good bet.
Near a fan is good, but dust can gather.
I use a hair dryer on hot with low fan... being caustious to not blow it off the dish.... chase it around the dish as it evaps.....
when the Iso is mostly gone, I preheat the oven to 200... then I shut off oven, and sit that Iso dish in the oven.... with the door propped open a few inches.. this causes rapid cooling within a hot area and increases evaporation very quickly.

smogmonster

Oh god no, I really advise against doing this if it's combustible resin. It is far grosser than you might imagine. Vaporizer resin is not in the same league and can be used for cooking, but not regular pipe or bong resin from smoking.

In my circle of friends there is an infamous story involving someone who made "resin brownies" from combustible bong resin. It was way back in the late 1980s, and the story still gets told to this day, because oh wow, it was really, really bad. I mean, if you want a funny story out of it, maybe try it, but get someone else to make the resin treats so you're not the one everyone laughs at later. Because if you give them to anyone else, they will at first be angry and later make fun of you for decades for thinking it was a good idea in the first place, and you will deserve it. It's awful, you can't mask the taste with anything, not even chocolate. It was hard to choke down a small piece, and none of us who tried it even got high.

I've had to resort to combustible resin. Just smoke it if you have to use it, but good lord, please don't cook with it. Or do, it won't hurt you really, but if you do, let us know in detail how it went later. Try giving out free samples to people you never plan on seeing again.

farscaper

Well, point # 1 he wanted ideas, so I totally back it up, although as I said I would personally throw it away (to keep my comments in context).
#2 I do in fact do this with my oil bong reclaim, which is just decarbed bho. So its delicious.

Cheers

Oh god no, I really advise against doing this if it's combustible resin. It is far grosser than you might imagine. Vaporizer resin is not in the same league and can be used for cooking, but not regular pipe or bong resin from smoking.

In my circle of friends there is an infamous story involving someone who made "resin brownies" from combustible bong resin. It was way back in the late 1980s, and the story still gets told to this day, because oh wow, it was really, really bad. I mean, if you want a funny story out of it, maybe try it, but get someone else to make the resin treats so you're not the one everyone laughs at later. Because if you give them to anyone else, they will at first be angry and later make fun of you for decades for thinking it was a good idea in the first place, and you will deserve it. It's awful, you can't mask the taste with anything, not even chocolate. It was hard to choke down a small piece, and none of us who tried it even got high.

I've had to resort to combustible resin. Just smoke it if you have to use it, but good lord, please don't cook with it. Or do, it won't hurt you really, but if you do, let us know in detail how it went later. Try giving out free samples to people you never plan on seeing again.

farscaper,

smogmonster

Well, point # 1 he wanted ideas, so I totally back it up, although as I said I would personally throw it away (to keep my comments in context).

Yeah, I hear you. I was just sharing my experience when someone I know got that same idea and tried it out. It was so long ago I can't remember anything else I ate that year, but the taste of those brownies is still vivid in my memory. To be fair, we were all around 19-20 and didn't make good decisions about most things.

#2 I do in fact do this with my oil bong reclaim, which is just decarbed bho. So its delicious.

That sounds a lot better.

smogmonster,
Reactions: farscaper

smogmonster

Thanks! I'd been lurking here for a while doing research for my first vaporizer purchase. I'm really glad I did, because otherwise I'm pretty sure I would have ended up wasting money on something at our local head shop. Instead, I got a Solo online with a case, and I haven't lit a lighter for any reason since then. Wow, if I had known I could taste clouds like this when I started smoking buds over 25 years ago, I would have switched in a heartbeat, saved my lungs and wallet some pain over the years, and got to taste the distinct flavors from each variety along the way. It makes the whole process more enjoyable.

I mentioned to a friend how much I loved my new Solo but didn't have it with me to demo it. He has two vapes, and he hardly ever uses them because they're really not that great and prefers combusting in his 3' bong. But when he bought them he just did a little window shopping and pulled the trigger, instead of coming to a forum like this and reading about people's actual experiences with these products, often with video reviews from people who aren't trying to sell anything but who love vaping. It's a great resource.

If I ever convert him to vaping with my Solo, it will probably have to be with a bong attached, because he doesn't hesitate spending a lot of money on good glass for combustion. When he sees how clean and beautiful a bong used for vapor can be, and how well diffusers work with vapor, and then when he tries it ... I have a feeling he won't stop drooling until he gets his own vapor rig with glass. I just have to get my own glass for the Solo and head over to his house one day ...

smogmonster

vakedcow, that little knife or scalpel in your picture looks like the perfect tool for cleaning the Solo stems, or maybe just the straight one, but either way seems to do the trick. I've been using 91% ISO, leave a stem soaking in it for a few days while I use the other one, then switch, repeat, etc., (I know some people love to let the resin build up in the stem as long as possible before reclaiming, but I don't have the patience for that and enjoy starting with a clean stem every few days). After a while I evaporate the alcohol to reclaim, seem to get enough to make it worthwhile after vaping around 1 oz of buds along with a few grams of bubble hash. I don't mind doing it and love the fact I can reclaim so much so easily with ISO, but a simple tool like that would be really handy. Will try to whip something up with the bench grinder and experiment over the weekend ...

smogmonster,
Reactions: Snappo

vakedcow

Gentle cow vaper and halloween kiddo
smogmonster, I use this paper cutting scalpels which you get in paper and arts shops, great for stirring especially when taking the aluminum ones:

A second one helps to clean and scrape of the first ;)

I found the blade shown in the pic to be 1-2 mm smaller then the inside of the stem and started to scrape.. It's quicker then with the iso and evap method altough I use that too for a big n shiny clean.

The bent stem is relatively easy to scrape but I usually vape it "upside down" with the Solo on top so that all the good stuff will flow down behind the bend, the reasoning behind that was so that it will not sizzle and stick in the pan / heating elemen.
(I think I saw a post of vitolo in the Arizer thread holding it the same way so call me a copycat :D )

After I noticed how much "sticky" flows when the stem is hot I started to stick it in a "parking" positon so that it flows down when cooling:

The straight stem I use on my glass with silicone tubing until I get some Planetvape adapters so thats also positioned and stored upside down.

moooo

NahkriinKrosis

Any thoughts on smoking reclaimed resin on an oil rig? It just seems to resemble wax to me. I scrape my bulb atomizer with a straw and just revape it in the ceramic bowl/nail. (It definitely gets me medicated but i suppose its not quite the same as the vaped resin from dry herb.)

I don't currently own an oil rig due to my need to be discreet, but it seems to me that it would be much more efficient than smoking the "wand hash" in a pipe or on dry herb.

NahkriinKrosis,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I use this reclaim all the time.
I vaporize it.
If I am not mistaken, I think you are saying you are going to smoke it.
I believe it can be smoked mixed in with weed or tobacco.
If you vaporize it, treat it as you would the gooey part of your wand hash... being sure there is plenty of "bed" material.

Vitolo,
Top Bottom