• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

High temp vs low temp. Health concerns over the long term.

PeteyS

Ive never been one for low temp vaping. Coming from "smoking"I immediately started using my first vape(Dynavap) at hot temps. Extractiong all the goodness in one to two hits and turning my avb very dark was always the most satisfying way for me to medicate.

However, lately ive been opening up my eyes to the health concerns of vaping at higher temps, and what they could lead to in the future for any long term user.

I just want to get a general concensus on what you guys think about this topic, and if there are any real legitimate concerns over vaping at a high temp vs lower temp over the course of lets say, 10 years.

Another thing i would like to ask as well, is for low temp connoisseurs. Do you usually vape more cannabis when you do low temping to compensate for the fact that you will be tossing the avb without extracting everything from it, compared to high temp.

Thanks, guys and gals!
Pete.

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
If it's the heat you're concerned with, get you some glass; even a hook makes a difference.

If it's the additional volatiles which may be in the higher temp stream, doubt anyone's got real data for you. Has to be better than smoking, right?

Finally, yes- ime it takes more material if restricting to lowe temps.

florduh

Another thing i would like to ask as well, is for low temp connoisseurs. Do you usually vape more cannabis when you do low temping to compensate for the fact that you will be tossing the avb without extracting everything from it, compared to high temp.

No. But I'm not a constant low temp vaporist. Most of my low temp hits are earlier in the day when I want to reduce the amount of couch locking molecules I'm inhaling. A little pinch at low temps in my TinyMight produces a respectable amount of vapor and gives me a nice strong head high.

I've been saving my low temp AVB but haven't experimented with eating it yet.

GoldenBud

IMHO the Dynavap is a great device for Mid-High temps, not low. while you heat it, the material gets oxidized as well, and some of the terps are getting oxidized. get some 100% convection device for low temps.... TM/Herbo/Halo/SSV/ELEV8R/GTR/WS etc'

GoldenBud,

PeteyS

Thanks for all the replies.
Ive also noticed that the Dyna vap isn't the best tool for low temp vaping. I find its to easy to over cook the bowl.
My Crafty works great, as i can just set it and forget it, but as mentioned before. I just don't get the kick im looking for. Maybe Ill try loading a larger then normal bowl for low temp experimenting and see if that satisfies.

Oh yeah, are there any benefits of low temp vaping, through water?

Thanks,
Pete.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Oh yeah, are there any benefits of low temp vaping, through water?

It depends how you define benefit, I pretty much never do it lol although it also depends how you define low temps exactly, because I do use lower temps with my halo and atlas through water, but they are higher temps than my portables dry... I am able to use them dry at the same settings too, so yeah I guess I do do some low temp through water in a sense, too vague and general here lol

PeteyS

Nice. For me, I typically reserve vaping through water just for large one and done sessions. I find that I can roast the goodies hotter, and have the water filter alot of the harshness and heat.
But for low temp, Im thinking that the extra filtration will just make the vapour even more whispy, even non existent in some case, but i then again, i don't know much about low temp vaping. Haha.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Nice. For me, I typically reserve vaping through water just for large one and done sessions. I find that I can roast the goodies hotter, and have the water filter alot of the harshness and heat.
But for low temp, Im thinking that the extra filtration will just make the vapour even more whispy, even non existent in some case, but i then again, i don't know much about low temp vaping. Haha.

Yeah, that's what I do, I just think even my high temp hits through water aren't always that high temp... Definitely milk the lower temps dry, when it's good tasting strains especially, during the day with portables. Upper temp one hitters through water are a clean and quick way to get high though!

Vaporware

Ive also noticed that the Dyna vap isn't the best tool for low temp vaping. I find its to easy to over cook the bowl.

I agree they’re not the best for low temp use, but have you tried a low temp cap? They click earlier and should make it harder for you to accidentally overcook a bowl.

Vaporware,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Also with high temps you get benzene and other nasties.
Yeah, I see benzene in those charts at the higher temps all the time, but what I don't understand: the boiling point of benzene is at 80°C / 176°F, but those charts put it in the range of 200°C / 400°F. How does that translate to each other?

The Dynavaps work great at lower temps for me, especially with a temp controlled IH. But I think most people go low for flavor purity reasons mainly, a pure convection device seems to be the better option to obtain that.

GoldenBud

Yeah, I see benzene in those charts at the higher temps all the time, but what I don't understand: the boiling point of benzene is at 80°C / 176°F, but those charts put it in the range of 200°C / 400°F. How does that translate to each other?
+1
High Temps vaping is not optimal just because if the ABv is dark it means more THC converted to CBN I think
Smoking joint is having around of 600C Temps in the hottest part...

THC is basically a phenol. Benzene molecule attached to OH (alcohol) group and attached to some chain with Carboxylic acid molecule and also another chain

PeteyS

At the moment Im doing a little experimenting on low temp vaping in the afternoons.
Higher temp like usual at night.
Today, it was a nice experience, I def like the longer lasting flavour. On purpose, I filled the bowl a little big bigger, and had a nice sesh.
Report back tomorrow.
Pete.

PeteyS,
Reactions: Siebter

23jim

I now always stay below 392 F because the last thing I need is anymore benzene in my lungs than necessary.

I know there was research that showed smoking through a bong removed more THC than tars and other bad things, so you had to smoke more cannabis and thus get more tars if you used a bong.

Does anyone know if any similar studies have been done with Dry herb vaping?
Seems like an easy test for a chemist to perform with the proper lab equipment.

23jim,

PeteyS

Yesterday i vaped at a low to me, 356f. I could hardly resist the urge to temp step up, but i kept it at 356 for the duration of the bowl.
Nice and mellow effects. Its something im going to try to make a habit during the day time, and i might even save this light avb in a separate jar for hitting once more at a higher temp at night time.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device

The Dynavaps work great at lower temps for me, especially with a temp controlled IH. But I think most people go low for flavor purity reasons mainly, a pure convection device seems to be the better option to obtain that.
The benzene formation and benzene boiling point are different . On a side note you dont need to boil things in order to evaporate them :)), water evaporates well under 100 degress celsius,so do most of terpenes,that why herbs loose some taste if left in the open.
""
. The two products appearing in high abundance in the spectra were the toxins benzene and MC (Scheme 1, Table 1). MC is a well-known degradation product of isoprene,5,31,32 which is itself a known degradation product of myrcene33 and other terpenes.34 Benzene, alkyl benzenes, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are known to form during terpene thermolysis. For example, benzene has been observed as a degradation product in the synthesis of myrcene by the pyrolysis of β-pinene,35 and it is also a product of solanesol pyrolysis.34 Benzene has also been detected in smoke.36

Table 1​

Methacrolein (MC) and Benzene Levels Produced per mg Terpene Starting Material When Vaporized at the Highest Temperature Range Investigated, ca. 550 °C (Ti) −500 °C (Tf) Using Single Replicate Experiments
MC (ng/mg terpene)​
benzene (ng/mg terpene)​
“Fire OG”​
127​
10​
limonene​
261​
63​
linalool​
103​
ND​
myrcene​
81​
60​

Last edited:

howie105

IMO it's a crap shoot, some folks will do their best to avoid the risks of using and their lungs and general health will still go south early other folks will burn their candle on both ends and go down way past their time. From that personal vantage point, all that matters is what makes the individual happy and comfortable.

PeteyS

Vaping at low temps should be better for your health rather then vaping at high temps, but its still alot worse then not vaping at all.
But... if vaping cuts away your stress, pain, and anxiety, and can possibly replace ssri's, then maybe the trade off is worth the risk.

konopi

I love Dynavap devices and in my opinion vapcap produces nice vapor, but I think these devices are not as precise as electric vaporizers. It is hard to control the temperature, and I read somewhere it reaches 240°C with the second "click". There could be some combustion on this level.

konopi,

PeteyS

No scientific evidence here, sorry. But I know for a fact that smoking too much cannabis won't kill you, You can't say the same about ssri's.
My doctor actually prescribed them to me a while back, but i went the other route and asked for a prescription for medical marijuana instead.
Not to put SSRI's down in any way, they are a blessing to those who need it, but i don't think that they should be prescribed as much as they are.

PeteyS,
Reactions: Planck

GoldenBud

No scientific evidence here, sorry. But I know for a fact that smoking too much cannabis won't kill you, You can't say the same about ssri's.
My doctor actually prescribed them to me a while back, but i went the other route and asked for a prescription for medical marijuana instead.
Not to put SSRI's down in any way, they are a blessing to those who need it, but i don't think that they should be prescribed as much as they are.
SSRI - seratonin
Cannabis - dopamine

the cannabis can help you if you believe in yourself.. it's all about how you see yourself. if you think you're fine, you don't need SSRI... IMHO... again, not a doctor or anything.... but there isn't a true connection between Cannabis and SSRI? I don't see it.....

if you don't believe in yourself, the cannabis can make your situation even wrose. IMHO

Top Bottom