• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

High potency edibles

shredder

I have a nova ardent and a magic butter machine. The mbm recently died. I have NEVER been able to get effects from decarbed bud just eaten, I ate a gram and a half and felt nothing. I am really interested in trying to decarb some extracts to just take like a pill or whatever. Do you think I should be good with the og nova or should I get a levo or what's the cats meow right now?

My only experience with a decarbing machine is with the nova fx. I've had good luck decarbing rosin in the A2 mode also known as the cbd mode. It runs longer for cbd. For sift hash ive had good luck decarbing in the A1 or thc mode.

I'm sure you could simulate the cbd mode on my machine in an oven, or probably in your nova. I just had to experiment to find my sweet spot.

Wish I could provide you a better answer, but im not finding a lot of hard data on decarbing different concentrates.

shredder

I'm not finding much either.

Have you used the FX with flower?

Yes, and it worked great on flower, but most of my edibles are made with concentrates. It's just easier, and tastes better,
IMHO. And for what's it's worth I don't inhale vapor/smoke anymore, so edibles are important to me.

I'm disappointed with ardent in that they apparently have not tested different decarbed concentrates, yet imply that the fx works great on them.

Unfortunately for me, there are no testing labs within a couple hours from where I live, or I'd test it myself.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I, too, prefer to make tinctures and edibles from concentrate. Since I live in a legal state, it's nice knowing the THC % of purchased concentrates. I usually decarb in a 1st edition Ardent, but I run two cycles to decarb. I use a graduated shot glass as my decarb container, which makes it easy to ultimately estimate my dosages with Everclear or MCT oil. There are approx. 590 drops in an ounce, so simple math provides an estimated dose. I use a dedicated, battery-operated mixer to combine right in the shot glass.

Last edited:

strech

I've already wasted a few hundred dollars trying to figure out this machine. I bought it cause it was supposed to be smell proof which so far it has been. The second reason was it was supposed to work with concentrate obviously more testing is in order but my funds and curiosity is starting to wane. This all should have been figured out buy Ardent. If it's as simple as running a second cycle or using A2 that would be fine. But making the consumer figure out it's not as easy as they claim is a big turn off.

@macbill I too am using a small glass container as a vessel inside the machine. But I have also used the silicone sleeve. Since I've had more failed runs then success can't say which is better.

@shredder I'm not that concerned with the actual test results. I just want to see positive results from my edibles.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Is that the indicator for concentrates wait till bubbles disappear? If so that's an easy visual to base run times on.

Ya mon!! That’s why edibles with concentrates are so much easier than flower, as it’s way easier to get a visual indication that you’re done.

You can do it with the lid off too - it will decarb quite a bit faster that way, in exchange for more room smell / terpene loss during the process.

shredder

You can do it with the lid off too - it will decarb quite a bit faster that way, in exchange for more room smell / terpene loss during the process.

I use a small glass beaker with foil covering the top in my fx to decarb rosin. (A2) It really does seem to retain some terpenes. At least much better than my feco that I finish on a coffee warmer. The winterized feco being much stronger but few terpenes. They both work great in medibles, but their signature is a little different, same for sift hash.

shredder

Just got my FX. It came with a silicone sleeve. What else is helpful? I haven't tried the FX, yet. Not yet set up to strain.

I use some small graduated beakers with pour spouts to decarb rosin in. You can fit up to a 24oz glass canning jar in the fx. Jelly and glass yogurt jars fit as well. I use silicone tipped tongs to place and remove small jars.

For sift hash and buds I've used the silicone sleeve. But you can use the fx without another container too.

I didn't care for the french press strainer thingy. I made a mess using it and got warm oil in the plastic on the bottom of the fx.

Then the oil came out on the base next time I used it. So I eventually put it in the dishwasher to get the oil out.

Now I use a nut bag, and potato ricer to filter plant material out of the infused oil.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Is there a point of diminishing returns when trying to reducing the carrying oil? How low can we go??
I heard somewhere that you can dissolve a gram of concentrate per ml of 98% ethyl alcohol (Everclear). There are approx 20 drops per ml. With oil, I'm not sure; probably depends what type of oil at what temp, and what type of concentrate. When I combine THC with an oil (or honey), I decarb concentrate, combine with an equal amount of sunflower lecithin and then the oil (or honey). Mix well. The lecithin is an emulsifier (allows water and oil to combine), which, they claim, allows the body to absorb the THC more readily. "Bioavailability". I couldn't get alcohol and lecithin to combine.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I use some small graduated beakers with pour spouts to decarb rosin in. You can fit up to a 24oz glass canning jar in the fx. Jelly and glass yogurt jars fit as well. I use silicone tipped tongs to place and remove small jars.

For sift hash and buds I've used the silicone sleeve. But you can use the fx without another container too.

I didn't care for the french press strainer thingy. I made a mess using it and got warm oil in the plastic on the bottom of the fx.

Then the oil came out on the base next time I used it. So I eventually put it in the dishwasher to get the oil out.

Now I use a nut bag, and potato ricer to filter plant material out of the infused oil.
Thank you, @shredder, @strech. I have nut bags, so I will try that. I don't like having to keep cheese cloth around. I'll order some beakers. It's good to know the lifter helps, and the French press not so much.

damm

I heard somewhere that you can dissolve a gram of concentrate per ml of 98% ethyl alcohol (Everclear). There are approx 20 drops per ml. With oil, I'm not sure; probably depends what type of oil at what temp, and what type of concentrate. When I combine THC with an oil (or honey), I decarb concentrate, combine with an equal amount of sunflower lecithin and then the oil (or honey). Mix well. The lecithin is an emulsifier (allows water and oil to combine), which, they claim, allows the body to absorb the THC more readily. "Bioavailability". I couldn't get alcohol and lecithin to combine.
I don't think lecithin is required with alcohol. I do use it with my coconut oil-based edibles with a 100% success rate.

I take 4 grams of rosin that is decarbed and add 35ml of coconut oil and a teaspoon of sunflower lecithin or more depending on how strong I want to make it.

160f for 4 hours.

Without lecithin, it should be constantly stirred. The end product may need to be shaken/stirred before use.

strech

I can report back that I've been able to get some bite size fudge made that has been very satisfying. I've made it entirely in the FX. Used a basic microwave fudge recipe I found online gonna really need to work on my cooking skills.

shredder

160f for 4 hours.

Why so long? Are you using decarbed rosin? or is that how you decarb it?

I infuse decarbed rosin (nova fx) into oil in minutes. I just mix the oil and lecithin until clear on a coffee warmer, then add rosin and stir until it's mixed well.

When I work with strong infusions I use liquid sunflower lecithin, it mixes quicker than powdered, but adds a slight taste, but used with mct oil, it's very easy to tolerate, almost tasteless, other than a little terpene taste from the rosin and the mct oil texture. The mct oil hides the weed taste pretty well imho.

I can report back that I've been able to get some bite size fudge made that has been very satisfying. I've made it entirely in the FX. Used a basic microwave fudge recipe I found online gonna really need to work on my cooking skills.

Those box mix kits found in most any grocery stores works pretty well if you just follow the instructions. They cover a lot of easy to make things like muffins, and brownies. And you don't need much in the way of cooking tools. A glass or silicone 8x8 pan, and spatula can make a decent way to start, and much cheaper than marriage, lol.

For brownies in a 8x 8 pan I cut 16 deep gooey brownies from each box mix. 1 gram of decarbed 750mg rosin mixed in the oil would make 16, 46.875 mg, 2x2 brownies. I wrap them individually and store in the freezer. We make 3-4 batches a year.

damm

Why so long? Are you using decarbed rosin? or is that how you decarb it?

I infuse decarbed rosin (nova fx) into oil in minutes. I just mix the oil and lecithin until clear on a coffee warmer, then add rosin and stir until it's mixed well.

When I work with strong infusions I use liquid sunflower lecithin, it mixes quicker than powdered, but adds a slight taste, but used with mct oil, it's very easy to tolerate, almost tasteless, other than a little terpene taste from the rosin and the mct oil texture. The mct oil hides the weed taste pretty well imho.

Those box mix kits found in most any grocery stores works pretty well if you just follow the instructions. They cover a lot of easy to make things like muffins, and brownies. And you don't need much in the way of cooking tools. A glass or silicone 8x8 pan, and spatula can make a decent way to start, and much cheaper than marriage, lol.

For brownies in a 8x 8 pan I cut 16 deep gooey brownies from each box mix. 1 gram of decarbed 750mg rosin mixed in the oil would make 16, 46.875 mg, 2x2 brownies. I wrap them individually and store in the freezer. We make 3-4 batches a year.
I decarb at 185 for 4 hours for freshly pressed Rosin and 4 and a half for I-502. I do it this way to preserve as much of the terpenes as I can.

As to why 160f for 4 hours? This is just old information from when I used my MB2. I've left it on for an hour and a half too long and I saw no negative effects.

Powdered sunflower works fine for me provided I shake up the mason jar after an hour. Don't need to add any taste as the main complaint is they taste like the product. I am putting this into gelcaps for pain management.

strech

Going for high dose cannasugar. 100mg per teaspoon. Should be a nice kick! Decarbing now. Still deciding on how much everclear to use. Make 2 tablespoons of sugar with 0.85 grams of lemon bean live sugar. Thinking some nice fresh squeezed lemonade or should I say lemondazed!!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Going for high dose cannasugar. 100mg per teaspoon. Should be a nice kick! Decarbing now. Still deciding on how much everclear to use. Make 2 tablespoons of sugar with 0.85 grams of lemon bean live sugar. Thinking some nice fresh squeezed lemonade or should I say lemondazed!!

Does that really emulsify? I heard the oil floats to the top after dissolving the sugar when making drinks that way but I've never tried it.

True water soluble cannabinoids is pretty complicated from what I understand. I think the easiest method is an alcohol extract?

shredder

Does that really emulsify? I heard the oil floats to the top after dissolving the sugar when making drinks that way but I've never tried it.

True water soluble cannabinoids is pretty complicated from what I understand. I think the easiest method is an alcohol extract?

I make powdered cannabis using tapioca maltodextrin. I think it would be similar to sugar. It's a very light fluffy powder. I mix it with a fork and use a little mct oil and liquid lecithin with canna oil. Then force it through a small screen mesh collander.

It's does come to the top of a cold clear drink, but does better in something thicker like a shake. And it seems to stay emulsified in a hot drink like coffee.

But for me the best part is how fast it works. I keep a jar of it in our liquor cabinet. When I want a quick buzz I take a half tsp (I made it strong) it melts in your mouth but has a weed aftertaste, so I flush it down with something. Baileys is my fave, lol, but orange juice or about anything works.

I can feel it in about 15 minutes, and it builds over the next hour or two, but like vaping it doesn't last like a typical edible.

The carbs seem to be the difference. If I eat the powder with a meal it's slower and lasts longer like a normal edible.

I think eventually we will figure out ultrasonic emulsification for home use. Im waiting for one of our canna scientists to do the heavy lifting, lol.

Last edited:

strech

I have no idea but it was what happened when I tried it with Kool aid. Maybe I can think of something else to make.

west-elec

Beginner's tip for people new to edibles like me, wanting higher potency. Grind your decarbed weed and you need far less oil to cover it for infusion. Same bud- less oil, so it will be a lot stronger per mill of oil. 1/2 the oil should work out twice the potency or thereabouts.
I am such a noob and noone told me better. I blame Ardent for pushing the advantage of not needing to grind. Perfect for lazy folk like me. So I've been decarbing and infusing whole nugs.
It is one thing with oil, it just could have been stronger, or I needed recepies with lots of oil in them, but I just wasted a heap of money using 500 mils of very expensive 96% drinking alcohol from Italy (can't get everclear here) to cover an ounce of buds, then just evaporated it off in sugar. What a waste- I could have used half or less that amount if I had ground it first. Live and learn.
I haven't used it yet, still evaporating off all that alcohol. I might end up using it in food if it separates in a cup of coffee, which was my plan. There is a lot of resin in there...:mmmm:

shredder

Beginner's tip for people new to edibles like me, wanting higher potency. Grind your decarbed weed and you need far less oil to cover it for infusion. Same bud- less oil, so it will be a lot stronger per mill of oil. 1/2 the oil should work out twice the potency or thereabouts.
I am such a noob and noone told me better. I blame Ardent for pushing the advantage of not needing to grind. Perfect for lazy folk like me. So I've been decarbing and infusing whole nugs.
It is one thing with oil, it just could have been stronger, or I needed recepies with lots of oil in them, but I just wasted a heap of money using 500 mils of very expensive 96% drinking alcohol from Italy (can't get everclear here) to cover an ounce of buds, then just evaporated it off in sugar. What a waste- I could have used half or less that amount if I had ground it first. Live and learn.
I haven't used it yet, still evaporating off all that alcohol. I might end up using it in food if it separates in a cup of coffee, which was my plan. There is a lot of resin in there...:mmmm:

For what it's worth I don't grind buds when extracting with alcohol. I may bust up some huge buds but that's about it. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

And you can split the batch in 2, and use the same alcohol twice for a stronger infusion.

I think your infused sugar will work well in coffee. My infused tapioca maltodextrin does. In cold drinks it does come to the top after a while, but not in hot drinks. For cold drinks a tincture (alcohol) would work better.

Top Bottom