Discontinued herbalAire

max

Out to lunch
Katilsday said:
I recently replaced my stock herbalaire whip with SSV tubing (and SSV glass mouthpiece, GonG connector) and it works great.
Interesting. That's where herbie needs some help. I've used mine a lot in the past, but not much with direct draw. I always had a more satisifactory whip vape available. I always felt like the really efficient heating chamber design, with the 18 tiny holes, compromised the direct draw method. It's effective, just not up to par with whip only designs, as far as satisfying hits.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that HerbalAire has changed their welcome screen? The other pages seem to have kept the older color scheme, but the main page's former black background is now stark white with a disinterested, oddly pale woman walking through a field of lavender. It hurts my eyes!
Here ya go. Just bookmark this page and you won't have to look at the home page. http://herbalaire.com/tri.htm ;)

She's not disinterested. She's looking at the flowers she just picked. And why is the fact that she's pale odd? Does everyone have a tan where you live? Just as a dissenting opinion, I find the new home page pretty easy on the eyes, especially the oddly pale woman. :lol:

stinac said:
I recently upgrade my HA with those fuckers
http://www.p-wholesale.com/upimg/5/39a2 01-835.jpg
(Remote Control Socket Set)
That's pretty cool. I'll have to look for a U.S. version of that.

max,

Katilsday

Yeah that's a pretty awesome mod stinac. If I got one I'd have glass attachments as well as a remote control pump...who needs an extreme?

Max - Not that I care about the image of the Herbalaire, I just think that the black background was much more appropriate. The new page makes me think I'm visiting a feminine hygiene website, which would be fine if the Herbie was a white tampon with flowers and puppies on it. :2c:

Yeah I wish I had an SSV too, but its just the Herbie for the near future, hence trying to improve the whip function, since I don't especially like the bags anymore and water filtration gets necessary after a while. At first I just turned it over and fitted the top against my 14mm GonG connection, I'm not sure if they designed it that way but it kind of fits.

There's a video on youtube (found it on some thread here) showing someone loading the chamber of the Herbie without a crucible. Does anyone else do this?

Oh, and I'm in the south, its pretty sunny here. You don't spend your days walking along in fields and look like that, no. I have nothing against pale skin, but she really looks (imo) sickly pale.

Katilsday,

stinkmeaner

Katilsday said:
Yeah I wish I had an SSV too, but its just the Herbie for the near future, hence trying to improve the whip function, since I don't especially like the bags anymore and water filtration gets necessary after a while. At first I just turned it over and fitted the top against my 14mm GonG connection, I'm not sure if they designed it that way but it kind of fits.
You can get some pretty thick milky hits from an Herbal Aire in whip mode if you change up your technique a little.

1. Packing the crucible: Normally you would leave the herb in chunks but I find if you grind the herb as fine as possible and pack the crucible tight, then you will get nice thick hits. Now you do not need to fill the crucible to the top but don't skimp out either, at least a 1/4 gram. To get it tight you will load your desired amount of fine ground herb and pack it tight with a tamper of some kind, I use a nail with a large flat head but you can use anything that is round and roughly the same diameter as the crucible.

2. Get a whip with a larger diameter, this creates greater suction pressure. You will need to make a whip adapter since the mouthpiece is skinny and only accepts the narrow diameter tubing which the Herbal Aire came with. I use a piece of silicone that I found but you can use a wine bottle cork that I drilled a hole in, basically I just cut it in half and drilled a hole all the way through and slipped it right over the main Teflon mouthpiece until you can see it poke through. At this point you can attach your larger diameter whip.

3. Since you are not using the pump in whip mode, when you drop your loaded crucible into the preheated Herbal Aire, you can preheat the herb for a couple of minutes to speed things along. After this you are ready to go, just practice different draw techniques to find which one works best for you to get massive clouds.

stinkmeaner,
Reactions: MG23

ioright

Cloud Connoisseur
Sorry for such a vague post!

So the first time I used it, I just put in a whole bud, and I found it it be quite unsatisfying. I tried grinding the herb up and putting a screen on top, but when I take off the teflon tip there is still bud getting sucked up into it, as the screen gets moved while I inhale. Grinding definately helped the overall experience.

What I have found to work best for me so far is to grind the herb and pack it down super tight in the crucible with a screen on top. Would you suggest packing a full crucible for more satisfying vapor? It just seems like a lot of weed to use at once; not as efficient as I would have expected in that respect.

ioright,

stinac

Katilsday said:
...who needs an extreme?
i recently got an herbie and i could get two extreme for price that i payed, but i wanted easiest and most efficient bag vape.

stinac,

max

Out to lunch
First of all, the herbalAire is designed to use pieces of herb, not ground. As a long time user of this model, I can tell you that grinding is a waste of your time. If you do, or if you only have ground bud to load, you must install a 2nd screen in the crucible. The mouthpiece screen is too coarse to stop small particles. This vape is super efficient at extracting all the vapor from pieces of herb. You absolutely do not need to grind.

Grinding definately helped the overall experience.
That's surely because you ended up using a larger quantity with ground herb. I've tested extensively and found no advantage at all to grinding.

Would you suggest packing a full crucible for more satisfying vapor?
More satisfying? You mean vapor so thick it looks like a bag of smoke? Sounds like you've fallen into the trap where you don't think you've got good vapor unless the bag is milky looking. And you don't mention whether you're getting high or not. That's more to the point than how the bag looks after you fill it. I don't remember seeing any reports that 'the herbalAire doesn't get me high'. It's always worked fine for me, and the bags of fairly thin vapor I've handed to vapor newbies have done the trick for them as well. I've had people say they prefer the herbalAire to other vapes of mine they've tried (of course there's no learning curve to sucking vapor from a bag).

Have you tried using a higher temp? I nearly always used a setting of around 375, but you can go higher. If you get into the high temp vapor range you should surely see thicker vapor. Also keep in mind that with any bag vape, no matter how much you load, the first bag will get the most vapor, by far.

There are some demo vids on youtube. You might check those out to see if you get any helpful tips.

stinac

max said:
First of all, the herbalAire is designed to use pieces of herb, not ground. As a long time user of this model, I can tell you that grinding is a waste of your time. If you do, or if you only have ground bud to load, you must install a 2nd screen in the crucible. The mouthpiece screen is too coarse to stop small particles. This vape is super efficient at extracting all the vapor from pieces of herb. You absolutely do not need to grind.
i added 2 -3 screens on the mouthpiece screen, and 1 - 2 screens on the bottom of the crucible.
I use finely grounded bud, and now unit extract everything in the one bag, but when i dont ground, i have to fill 2 or 3 bags to extract everything.

stinac,

max

Out to lunch
Sorry, I don't buy your one bag catches all, ground bud or not.

I'd have to load an extremely small amount to collect all the vapor in a single bag. No matter how invisible the vapor when you look at the bag, I've always found some benefit to loading an additional bag. People always forget how much less visible vapor is, vs. smoke. I've taken hits from various models, after someone has assured me the bowl is cached, and shown them exhaled vapor that's only visible in good lighting. And I've found adding additional screens to be a pain. I've only used ground when I had nothing else, and since I've had other vape options for a long time now, I don't do it at all anymore. To each his own though.

max,

stinac

max said:

I'd have to load an extremely small amount to collect all the vapor in a single bag. No matter how invisible the vapor when you look at the bag, I've always found some benefit to loading an additional bag. People always forget how much less visible vapor is, vs. smoke. I've taken hits from various models, after someone has assured me the bowl is cached, and shown them exhaled vapor that's only visible in good lighting. And I've found adding additional screens to be a pain. I've only used ground when I had nothing else, and since I've had other vape options for a long time now, I don't do it at all anymore. To each his own though.
how much do you pack per bowl ?
I put 0,1g and fill 1 tokeez bag at 190-200

stinac,

stinac

stinac said:
max said:

how much do you pack per bowl ?
I put 0,1g and fill 1 tokeez bag at 190-200
(personal usage)

stinac,

Katilsday

stinac said:
Katilsday said:
...who needs an extreme?
i recently got an herbie and i could get two extreme for price that i payed, but i wanted easiest and most efficient bag vape.
Stinac- - I must be missing something.

the Herbalaire is on sale for 180 at some places online right now ( I paid 230 last year) ...the extreme is $300...

Either you are mistaken, or you got ripped off.

Stinkmeaner - If you read my first post, you'd see I'm using a SSV whip, slid over the herbie mouthpiece. The only problem is it can slip off if the temp is too high. Do you not get any taste from the cork?

Katilsday,

stinkmeaner

Katilsday said:
Stinkmeaner - If you read my first post, you'd see I'm using a SSV whip, slid over the herbie mouthpiece. The only problem is it can slip off if the temp is too high. Do you not get any taste from the cork?
Yeah I see your post, I believe that the silicone tubing I am using 3/4" OD tubing and the SSV uses 3/16" but I can not say which would work better without trying both side by side, I just know that the thin tubing is inferior for high volume hits.

If you noticed in my post, the cork was an idea for others to try but I actually use a silicone flask stopper which has a hole that fits perfectly over the Herbal Aire mouthpiece. But I can assure you that if someone were to try my idea, you would not taste the cork because it is not even in the direct air path,you actually push the cork all the way over the teflon mouthpiece, and you can push it all the way down if you like. Can you see what I mean?

stinkmeaner,

stinac

Katilsday said:
stinac said:
Katilsday said:
...who needs an extreme?
Stinac- - I must be missing something.

the Herbalaire is on sale for 180 at some places online right now ( I paid 230 last year) ...the extreme is $300...

Either you are mistaken, or you got ripped off.
i paid 250+50 for extras (free shipment included for Europe), and extreme was 150 bucks on ebay (best offer)

stinac,

Katilsday

Thats cool Stinkmeaner. My silicone tubing has a tendency to slide up a little bit, so I was seeing that as a potential issue with the cork. I know the type of flask stopper you're talking about, that definitely seems like a good option.
Why do you think that thinner tubing is inferior for bigger hits? Just wondering.

Stinac - I see an Eq4 for 200, which is lower than i thought, but I'm still not sure why you paid 250 for the base unit (unless it was last year). It's unfair to say that you could have gotten 2 extremes for the price of your HA when you're comparing a sale price to a full price.

Katilsday,

stinkmeaner

Katilsday said:
Thats cool Stinkmeaner. My silicone tubing has a tendency to slide up a little bit, so I was seeing that as a potential issue with the cork. I know the type of flask stopper you're talking about, that definitely seems like a good option.
Why do you think that thinner tubing is inferior for bigger hits? Just wondering.
Physics, you can draw a greater volume of air or water with less effort through a larger sized tubing, of course that ends at a point when a certain beneficial ratio is reached, you have to keep it relative to the amount of suction that an average person creates. It is the same theory in which vacuum cleaner manufacturers determine which hose size or inlet size to use.

If the SSV tubing is just slightly loose you may try to find some material to use as a spacer over the attachment point.

Speaking of attachment point, I have been thinking of picking up a Zephyr Ion Valve set for the Herbal Aire, from the looks of it I know it would fit on the mouthpiece naturally or with one of the HA's straws. In fact it is so obvious match that I can not believe others have not tried it, especially the people that try to find ways to plug or seal the bags.

stinkmeaner,

stinac

stinkmeaner said:
Katilsday said:
Physics, you can draw a greater volume of air or water with less effort through a larger sized tubing, of course that ends at a point when a certain beneficial ratio is reached, you have to keep it relative to the amount of suction that an average person creates. It is the same theory in which vacuum cleaner manufacturers determine which hose size or inlet size to use.

If the SSV tubing is just slightly loose you may try to find some material to use as a spacer over the attachment point.

Speaking of attachment point, I have been thinking of picking up a Zephyr Ion Valve set for the Herbal Aire, from the looks of it I know it would fit on the mouthpiece naturally or with one of the HA's straws. In fact it is so obvious match that I can not believe others have not tried it, especially the people that try to find ways to plug or seal the bags.
yea i know, i ordered Zephyr Ion Valve set few days ago, and i will post short review.
I paid full price for HA because free shipment option, i guess that shipment was 50 bucks to Europe, and i would do it again. I didnt want to load elbow pack with extreme, and i use it alone with small amount of bud, 0.1g per load.

stinac,

Portability

supreme thru sovereignty
gotta love finding outdoor outlets to vape off of with the HA
filled up some bags on top of a mountain off of an outlet on a lightpole once
anybody else ever done this?

Portability,

Katilsday

I havn't but that's pretty awesome. Seriously considered getting a battery pack with wall outlets to make it portable.

Stinkmeaner- Yeah I understand what you mean about the wider diameter, but you're also right that its relative to the amount of suction. I pull slowly, hence higher vapor-to-air ratio.

I'll be waiting for that ion valve review. if it works it could also be used to stop that slight loss from the main mouthpiece due to the rising hot air.

Katilsday,

Macknificent

i've had an herbalaire for 5 days now...pure awesomeness. i've got a bowl of kush and haze loaded up, and it is as delicious as it sounds

Macknificent,

stinac

Macknificent said:
i've had an herbalaire for 5 days now...pure awesomeness. i've got a bowl of kush and haze loaded up, and it is as delicious as it sounds
is this your first vaporizer?
what temp do u use?

stinac,

GanjaRunner

Hey guys!

I'm soon to be a new Herbie owner (order placed, unit on the way!) I currently own a MFLB and am very pleased with that for what it is, but really want something a bit more "substantial" for my daily driver. Currently a bong smoker who is converting over to vaping.

In any case, I'd love to see a discussion on temps. My MFLB, of course, is a non-variable temp vape and this will be my first experience with a vape where the temp can be varied.

I know the general consensus is to start off lower and work up.

Anyway, let's hear some feedback on various temps on the Herbie and such.

I do have one specific question. Do any of you guys get so "technical" as to have your favorite temps for your favorite strains? As a general quesiton, do you vape Indicas and Sativas at different temps?

Oh, and it needs to be said. This is a SOLID forum with SOLID people. Lots of knowledge here and I appreciate that everyone is so chill here.

Peace!

GanjaRunner,

Macknificent

stinac said:
Macknificent said:
is this your first vaporizer?
what temp do u use?
first vape that i've owned.

i start off at 350 for the first two bags then gradually get it up to 375. the bowls i pack are like .4-.6's, so i get about 4 thick bags and then 1 or 2 run-offs. works pretty fantastic.

Macknificent,
Top Bottom