Herb Humidity

andrew`124c41+

I just started using 62 percent Bovida Packs with either Jyarz or CVaults.

Been keeping some herb buds in CVaults with the Bovidas. Today I ground up about an 1/8 for placement in a Jyarz Classic.

I noticed when I ground the herb that it was a bit sticky. Anyway, I got it ground and transferd to the smaller Classic and stuck a Bovida packet in.

With my TM I find I can usually vape at 2 to no more than 4 and get a dark green to brownish remains.

However, today I think the herb was too moist because at even 7 I could not get remains that were brown.

My suspicion is that somehow the herb became too moist.

Anybody have this experience?

I suspect all I need to do is remove the Bovida packet and leave the top open or put the herb on a wider surface area and leave it out for a day or two.

However, if this is not the best way to take care of this I am open to suggestions.

Back in the day when total conflagration was the way to destroy a Bambu sheet, herb was dry as a bone anyway!

Last edited:

GoldenBud

it depends how moist the herb was when you got it.. dry herb should contain around 6-10% of water. when you got the buds, they were strong like stones or so? could you squeeze them? if you could, did they return to their shape?

edit: the pic that you uploaded, it doesn't even look like weed to me.. maybe it is just cannabis-trim? in this case.. say thanks if you can get high from it.. get real buds buddy!

Last edited:

andrew`124c41+

it depends how moist the herb was when you got it.. dry herb should contain around 6-10% of water. when you got the buds, they were strong like stones or so? could you squeeze them? if you could, did they return to their shape?

edit: the pic that you uploaded, it doesn't even look like weed to me.. maybe it is just cannabis-trim? in this case.. say thanks if you can get high from it.. get real buds buddy!
I think I know what happened. The strain in the pic is Shark Skunk, a high CBD low THC strain. It was pretty dry. In fact one of my problems with MD dispensaries is that some of their product is too dry in my opinion.

So, by using Bovida Packs, I essentially rehydrated it to the way it should be and I was just not used to it.

Very low water content herb will vape at a much lower temp.

In any case, my use is medicinal and not recreational. (I am not looking for a "high.". The strain is fine, I just need to use a higher temp now which is the same for some other strains I use such as Pain Killer XL, and ACDC...all low THC strains.

For occasional sleep issues, I have other strains with higher THC content including some "Premium"strains the water content of which is higher.

Storing them in Jyarz or CVaults with Bovida Packs at about 68 degrees should keep them at the proper moisture content and prevent mold.

I prefer the cannibis hybrids that were grown to maximize CBD content but still having small amounts of THC over the hemp derived ones without THC because contrary to the claims, it is the combination of THC and not CBD alone that is medicinal.

All that high priced CBD oil in the stores is just about useless because it undergoes first pass liver metabolism...so you have to use very large doses and you also put a strain on the liver.

Interestingly, Pain Killer and ACDC have descriptions stating that they have no psychoactive effect...not so. You might need a bit more of it or if you have a big tolerance but they will get you there if that is your goal. Of course that is not their intended purpose.

I also have been experimenting with mixing strains in various ratios to see what works best for my indication.

andrew`124c41+

The OP's situation seems odd. I know I've been using 62% Boveda packs for years, and I have never had any problems.
See my other response. I don't think there was a problem other than the strain was too dry.
same here
I found them to be even better than the integra boost
I have been able to rehydrate Bovida Packs but have heard you can't do that with Integra... Is that true?

andrew`124c41+,
Reactions: Ramahs

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
In my experience, it seems that all humidity control packs absorb a lot of the smell. At least it seems that way to me, consistently. However, I've never felt that it reduced potency.

I've stored cannabis in C-Vaults with 62% Boveda packs and oxygen absorber packs (I don't remember the brand of the Oxygen absorbers) for at least a year, without finding any noticeable potency drop. The smell of the herb itself in the jar was definitely noticeably reduced though.

andrew`124c41+

In my experience, it seems that all humidity control packs absorb a lot of the smell. At least it seems that way to me, consistently. However, I've never felt that it reduced potency.

I've stored cannabis in C-Vaults with 62% Boveda packs and oxygen absorber packs (I don't remember the brand of the Oxygen absorbers) for at least a year, without finding any noticeable potency drop. The smell of the herb itself in the jar was definitely noticeably reduced though.
Interesting. What this suggests to me is that something is happening with the Terpenes. I think they are of a lower molecular weight than THC but I can't quite figure out the mechanism involved because I doubt that the packs are absorbing Terpenes but the only way to know that would be to bust one open and do a qualitative analysis on it with a GC MS.

THC content is so high (no pun intended) in many strains today that slight loss probably does not matter.

andrew`124c41+,

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
I find the best way to keep herb is using a boost pack (don't like boveda you will never convince me they don't steal terps) and a raw hydrostone soked 10 seconds from dry. Jay from RAW talked about this method, so I can't take the credit. It... does something to the bud. Something trmemendous. I put a barrier, usually the boost pack plastic sleeve, between the stone and the boost pack, which is in yet another plastic sleeve (otherwise the humidity pack gets really wet and the stone really dry). They self-regulate eachother, but that's not the important part.

The important part is that the jars seem to stay at the exact perfect humidity level but the buds get STICKY AF and FLUFFY AF. I do not understand it. I don't pretend to understand it. I just do it because, you could keep bud with any humidity pack for 1 month in perfect storage and it won't do what this can do in 24 hours. Personally I find the end vape is much more pleasant and smooth.

Edit: I now see you didn't ask but I'm at an [8] rn

andrew`124c41+

I find the best way to keep herb is using a boost pack (don't like boveda you will never convince me they don't steal terps) and a raw hydrostone soked 10 seconds from dry. Jay from RAW talked about this method, so I can't take the credit. It... does something to the bud. Something trmemendous. I put a barrier, usually the boost pack plastic sleeve, between the stone and the boost pack, which is in yet another plastic sleeve (otherwise the humidity pack gets really wet and the stone really dry). They self-regulate eachother, but that's not the important part.

The important part is that the jars seem to stay at the exact perfect humidity level but the buds get STICKY AF and FLUFFY AF. I do not understand it. I don't pretend to understand it. I just do it because, you could keep bud with any humidity pack for 1 month in perfect storage and it won't do what this can do in 24 hours. Personally I find the end vape is much more pleasant and smooth.

Edit: I now see you didn't ask but I'm at an [8] rn
Wow, this is very interesting. I never heard of hydrostone. What you described is exactly what I have been finding with both the Jyarz and the Cvalts with the Bovidae packs in them. Are the boost packs rechargeable? Since the Terps are of a lower molecular weight, you may indeed be right as i said in another post.

Can you get a hydrostone into a Jyarz Classic with a Boost pack?

andrew`124c41+,
Reactions: VapePerson

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
Wow, this is very interesting. I never heard of hydrostone. What you described is exactly what I have been finding with both the Jyarz and the Cvalts with the Bovidae packs in them. Are the boost packs rechargeable? Since the Terps are of a lower molecular weight, you may indeed be right as i said in another post.

Can you get a hydrostone into a Jyarz Classic with a Boost pack?
Yes, the hydrostone will fit. I use mason jars though.

>Are the boost packs rechargeable?
Sorry friend, can't say for certain. They're so cheap I don't even bother and they last so long it's not worth it IMO.

VapePerson,

andrew`124c41+

Yes, the hydrostone will fit. I use mason jars though.

>Are the boost packs rechargeable?
Sorry friend, can't say for certain. They're so cheap I don't even bother and they last so long it's not worth it IMO.
I see they are about a buck apiece at Amazon. and I suspect will last for several months in a Jars classic.
Do you have a link for the hydrostones you use and is there one that will fit in a Jyarz Classic?

andrew`124c41+,

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
VapePerson,

GoldenBud

THC content is so high (no pun intended) in many strains today that slight loss probably does not matter.
that's right but if you lose terpenes because of bad storage, you will have less vapor and less effects... terpenes matter too
average top shelf bud contain around 30% thc and about 3-7% of terpenes

GoldenBud,

Ramahs

GoldenBud

Yeah. The more volatile terpenes degrade into what little air is in the container fairly quickly either way.
yeah, unfortunely it seems that some terpenes are bonded with water when it's still wet, and the buds lose like 80% of their weight during the drying process.. although again the terpenes are not water soluble but nothing is perfect and some percentage still bonded to water...and ofc the air doesn't contain enough water/terpenes, lol, so the equilibrium will make terpenes also to evaporate :/

GoldenBud,

andrew`124c41+

that's right but if you lose terpenes because of bad storage, you will have less vapor and less effects... terpenes matter too
average top shelf bud contain around 30% thc and about 3-7% of terpenes
In the 60s a lot of weed was dry as a bone. It had zero flavor. The only thing
told you what you were smoking was the smell. The first weed I got was a nickel bag in a paper coin envelope. We had no magical storage ideas yet somehow, we got by.

When I think about how vaping really gets the job done I am left scratching my head. There comes a point where we may become a bit over concerned about a lot of details.

Ramahs

In the 60s a lot of weed was dry as a bone.

The interesting thing is that the driest flower tends to vape the best. In fact, it is a well known phenomena for experienced vaporists to grind up their flower, then leave the dried herb out on a plate for a day or two to get it dry enough to vape well, before they put it in their bowl to extract the vapor.

Remember, the good/active drugs that we want to vape out of the plant and into our lungs are oils, not water-based.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
The interesting thing is that the driest flower tends to vape the best. In fact, it is a well known phenomena for experienced vaporists to grind up their flower, then leave the dried herb out on a plate for a day or two to get it dry enough to vape well, before they put it in their bowl to extract the vapor.

Remember, the good/active drugs that we want to vape out of the plant and into our lungs are oils, not water-based.
Didn't realise this was common. Thought it considered blasphemous tbh. However I do something similar.

I try to cure my bud as close to 60%. I only ever use boveda if my dry has resulted in 50 to 55% humidity when in the jars. A boveda can help bring buds back at the start of the cure as long as they are not too dry.
Otherwise I don't use them. If you have managed the dry and cure well I can't see what they do. If the bud is too dry (say below 50%) nothing will restore it IME.

However, after a long cure I like to bring the bud down to low 50's for vaping. In humid months this is difficult but careful use of jars and a heat source and a humidity meter I can usually do it.
I find the flavour is much more punchy and obvious from the first pull.
Too dry buds that crumble easily are harsh for me. Generally they went into the jars too dry and failed to cure sufficiently.

Top Bottom