Herb Grinders

AndyO

My TimbeRoo arrived today - it's cute, it's a nice addition to my collection of grinders.

As a grinder though? I feel like it'd be more accurately to call it a miller. And even then, the timber make is clearly a gimmick - the thing just doesn't really grind or mill!

Maybe I'm being a tough judge, as I've been using my Aroma-3 exclusively since it arrived a month ago (and I never use grinders for more than a week before rotating!), but as a functional grinder it's not great.

Jojofernz

IMG-4541.jpg
IMG-4535.jpg
IMG-4533.jpg

My Stona arrived today. It is a really gorgeous grinder. Gonna need more time to get a good feel on how I like it first couple grinds went well. It’s pretty darn big but looks good on being out on a table for a grinder. Will report back after I get some decent usage out of it!

Jojofernz

IMG-4556.jpg
IMG-4560.jpg
IMG-4561.jpg

Just a few more photos and impressions after the first couple days of use

This is a beautiful piece of functional art, the wood and glass give it a luxurious feel and sight to behold. I am in love with the grain on mine as it is lighter in the front around the logo then gets darker as it wraps around with all sorts of beautiful waves and patterns. The grinder top itself is also a wonderful piece of wood to admire and look at.

The grind itself and usage is straightforward enough, load a couple nugs and push down and twist with the top, perhaps at a slight angle if you can. I think they call it a grater style, feels like a mix of a mortar and pestle and some fancy pepper grinder. Using only the medium plate so far and it’s nice and fluffy. Haven’t used the fine as it seems super fine and I even would like it if they made an even coarser plate one day but the medium is nice in the vapes I’ve used it with.

Now for the negative. I only have a couple of issues with it myself personally right now, and that has to mainly do with the top. It doesn’t secure in anyway to the rest of the grinder so it sits loose, you have to pick it up by the middle part or glass part which do seal together. The top also does seal to the “secret” compartment, which I have been enjoying to store some bud in, but it just sits, not too big of a deal. The top metal also doesn’t feel too nice, looks good but I wish it was smoother.

As for other problems I can see being a bigger issue with other users, there is a few. First, it requires a lot of maintenance. One of the things I see users of BCG/Aroma 3 love so much about them is the low maintenance, chucking a ton of weed in it and hardly ever cleaning it, if ever. This grinder is recommended to clean after every use basically, it’s not hard to do so I don’t mind it and I am gonna like keeping it looking good. Second, the size of the thing may be a turn off. Though the big glass storage really makes me wanna keep grinding to fill it up. Third, it’s fragile.

Being made out of wood and glass, along with the extra care, you’re not gonna be treating this like your traditional metal grinder. For me it’s not an issue as I always leave my grinders at home anyway and have solutions to bring ground bud with me on my outings. I can see situations though where I may want to bring it along but fear of breaking it and the size of the thing doesn’t seem practical. Another issue with it being fragile too is you won’t want to load a lot of material and to be more careful with what and where you’re throwing stuff as you wouldn’t wanna damage the wood.

I am still loving it despite the flaws, but I will say I don’t see this being a grinder you buy to have as your only grinder. Not if you go through a lot of product or want to have it with you on the go or it be low maintenance. It’s great for my use right now but I could see myself getting something smaller and tougher to have around for the future. But it’s a gorgeous grinder with unique function and big glass storage for your ground bud if you’re into that.

Will give even more thoughts after I use it for a long time to see how it’s holding up. Sorry for the walls of text!

Last edited:

Radwin Bodnic

@Jojofernz thanks for the insights. I was eying with this grinder, but the level of maintenance seems high. As I'm mostly grinding small batches at a time: how does it perform, with like 0.2/0.3 nugs? Because with the Krush Kube and such amounts the grind uniformity sometimes is subpar.
I agree that the Krush kube needs to be half full to give an uniform grind in a few twists. Still a good grinder for the price though.
Stona should make a smaller version of their grinder this year.

Last edited:

Jojofernz

@Jojofernz thanks for the insights. I was eying with this grinder, but the level of maintenance seems high. As I'm mostly grinding small batches at a time: how does it perform, with like 0.2/0.3 nugs? Because with the Krush Kube and such amounts the grind uniformity sometimes is subpar.
Small batches is actually preferable with this grinder. You don’t want to overload it as I said, because the walls are wooden, I could see stems or even drier bud maybe getting stuck in between those walls and scratching the wood?

I only load either one medium nug, or a couple smaller ones at a time. I make sure the bud is only in the center or over the blades on the disk, not off to the side.

Grind I noticed comes out pretty much the same if I do one or two nugs or several tiny chunks

axilla101

Way way back they had some trouble with anodizing wearing. As far as I know they corrected the problem and replaced the ones with the problem. You can search back in this thread for the details.

I have several and I use them multiple times a day for over two years. I have not had an issue.
Anyone have a BCG that's 4yrs+ old? After getting a new large one recently, it made me realize just how scratched up my old one from early 2020 is.

I was probably a bit careless in the early days with scraping things off. Anyone else's look like this?

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
Anyone have a BCG that's 4yrs+ old? After getting a new large one recently, it made me realize just how scratched up my old one from early 2020 is.

I was probably a bit careless in the early days with scraping things off. Anyone else's look like this?

Grinder was purchased in 2019 - has been that way for most of it's life. I spoke to them about it - normal wear for anodized aluminum. I don't use it much now as I have both sizes of the stainless and like them better.

Pablo13

Aww man… youtube research on its own has been letting me down recently :\ I only use grinders for my vapes, using scissors if I ever make a doob had been my preferred method for decades, I believe its better for terp protection. Decided that my little Cali Crusher that has been pretty good, but could do with an upgrade. My ex had taken my full size Shredder with her a while back so I was down to the mini Crusher or the S&B plastic guy.

I did some (YT only) research and like a dumbass bought a Flower Mill. Initially I was super impressed how quickly and easy it was to use and was loving it. But after a day or so I seemed to acquire a new cough a little while after using it, but did not think too much into it as I have a smokers cough, but this one felt a little different. Revisited this thread and got upto date :rolleyes: Post purchase research is always a bitch! So I was a little upset, and had linked my new cough to the grinder. To confirm I switched back to the Crusher for a few bowls and they went down smoother. Disappointed as I'd spent more on this grinder that I had any other, and it was also the first one I've purchased for years, I decided to strip it down and give it an iso bath and slapped on some "Mill Wax". This definitely improved the cough but mentally the damage has been done. Also with the mill wax added I found little chewed bits of bud liked to stick to the top plate surface of the lid plate a bit more. While in pieces I noticed the machine work on the edge of the top plate part to have some sharp edges that could make contact to the bottom if the lid wasn't totally flat and aligned with the base (like starting a grinder with a big nug).

So some of my next paycheck might have to be diverted to OMD, or possibly HOJ as the Klip does embody what I’m looking for in a grinder, although I’ve seen both good and bad reviews for it and also noted that there is a rumoured redesign. So sensibly should hold out.....or just get an OMD?

Jojofernz

Aww man… youtube research on its own has been letting me down recently :\ I only use grinders for my vapes, using scissors if I ever make a doob had been my preferred method for decades, I believe its better for terp protection. Decided that my little Cali Crusher that has been pretty good, but could do with an upgrade. My ex had taken my full size Shredder with her a while back so I was down to the mini Crusher or the S&B plastic guy.

I did some (YT only) research and like a dumbass bought a Flower Mill. Initially I was super impressed how quickly and easy it was to use and was loving it. But after a day or so I seemed to acquire a new cough a little while after using it, but did not think too much into it as I have a smokers cough, but this one felt a little different. Revisited this thread and got upto date :rolleyes: Post purchase research is always a bitch! So I was a little upset, and had linked my new cough to the grinder. To confirm I switched back to the Crusher for a few bowls and they went down smoother. Disappointed as I'd spent more on this grinder that I had any other, and it was also the first one I've purchased for years, I decided to strip it down and give it an iso bath and slapped on some "Mill Wax". This definitely improved the cough but mentally the damage has been done. Also with the mill wax added I found little chewed bits of bud liked to stick to the top plate surface of the lid plate a bit more. While in pieces I noticed the machine work on the edge of the top plate part to have some sharp edges that could make contact to the bottom if the lid wasn't totally flat and aligned with the base (like starting a grinder with a big nug).

So some of my next paycheck might have to be diverted to OMD, or possibly HOJ as the Klip does embody what I’m looking for in a grinder, although I’ve seen both good and bad reviews for it and also noted that there is a rumoured redesign. So sensibly should hold out.....or just get an OMD?
I’ve also been interested in the Klip. But I would say if you don’t want to risk grabbing something there isn’t a ton of info on(at least around here), go for the OMD. Seems to be tried and tested and proven to be a great grinder. Or you also can’t go wrong with a BCG though, aside from Seconds and aluminum, OMD is cheaper.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Grinder was purchased in 2019 - has been that way for most of it's life. I spoke to them about it - normal wear for anodized aluminum. I don't use it much now as I have both sizes of the stainless and like them better.

Yep there is more detail on this in the BCG thread too, finally cleaned my oldest ones again for the first time in a long while, less wear than yours, but normal and the reason we have the stainless steel option now :tup:

Shit Snacks,

Alex3oe

Accessory Maker
Had quite some cheap grinders in my lifetime, all have been crap. Using a Santa Cruz Shredder beside a Gleichdick for different strains now for years. But the grinder I would vote for the „best“ is The Swiss Grinder I got from VapeFully completely for free with an order.

I never have to clean it, it never stucks and delivers a perfect grinded flower.

Alex3oe,
This is the evolution of my use of grinders. Starting with super cheap shit, going to the Flower mill premium.
I do like the flower mill premium, but I am mainly looking for a grinder that will be good for someone with chronic pain and sore joints, with minimal maintenance and upkeep. Can anyone recommend such a grinder?

Pictures for reference.
20240211-185650-2.jpg

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
This is the evolution of my use of grinders. Starting with super cheap shit, going to the Flower mill premium.
I do like the flower mill premium, but I am mainly looking for a grinder that will be good for someone with chronic pain and sore joints, with minimal maintenance and upkeep. Can anyone recommend such a grinder?

Pictures for reference.
20240211-185650-2.jpg
Sure! Please allow me to be the first to say BCG OMD BCG OMD BCG OMD!!!!!!!

Cuz those are apparently the only smart choices allowed in this space.

:peace:

Edit for links:

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
a grinder that will be good for someone with chronic pain and sore joints, with minimal maintenance and upkeep.
Please allow me to be the first to say BCG OMD BCG OMD BCG OMD
You could also ask for the grips to be printed and add those to the BCG to make it even easier to manipulate,

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
You could also ask for the grips to be printed and add those to the BCG OMD to make it even easier to manipulate,
Fixed :tup:

A large BCG might provide better grip compared to the regular size. Good luck!

dimmusp

You could also ask for the grips to be printed and add those to the BCG to make it even easier to manipulate,
You mean OMD, right?

Top Bottom