Herb Grinders

lazylathe

Almost there...
Anybody bought a seconds unit from BCG? If so, how "seconds" was it?
I bought a large seconds from them a while ago and the defect is a thin line that is slightly lighter than the rest of the grinder.
It is maybe 2mm wide and you can only see it if you hold it a certain way.
I could find no other issues, just this one on the side of the top.

I took a pic of it at just the right angle and then turned it slightly to show it almost disappears!

20231215-152812.jpg

20231215-152822.jpg

sadf

I would recommend getting Ben's bearing puller when you buy the grinder as purchasing it separately is significantly more expensive due to shipping costs.

That's what I ended up doing, ordered a puller and extra bearing with it. Even with the extras and international shipping the total cost came out to less than half of what I had been considering spending on a large polished SS BCG.

Thanks!

Razzle_N_Dazzle

All of my BCGs are seconds except 1 (have 6 currently); the seconds are identical to regular, just get to you quicker!
Do you use all 6 grinders? I understand having multiple plates for different consistancies but I couldn't see myself having more than a couple of grinders for home and travel. Especially when they are high quality and expensive.

Razzle_N_Dazzle,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Do you use all 6 grinders? I understand having multiple plates for different consistancies but I couldn't see myself having more than a couple of grinders for home and travel. Especially when they are high quality and expensive.

Yes, and also an OMD and a Cannabis Hardware two piece. I like variety, and I use ZX/Tempest so the loads are very small, I usually grind up a nugg and have some residual left. I will usually run a couple at a time with different strains in them throughout the day. But no matter what other grinders I might play around with, I always end up back at my BCGs.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

I also have six, I started with a fine, then grabbed a medium, because I wanted to be able to have different strain grounds, and to complete colors... I then got the large size when it came out with medium plate (I never wanted to get multiple spare plates because I didn't really like the idea so much and I wanted to collect more colors anyway and have such variety of strains available usually)

It was then when the factory seconds first came out that I decided it was worth getting another one, and trying coarse plate... They had a special blood ruby edition and extra chunky coarse plate (unfortunately not in a matching color though) so that got me buying another one along with a second large size in a different color with fine plate since I use that and the medium most in general

I also have the OMD grinder and love it so it is in the rotation a lot, usually with two or three BCG, depending what grand I want and from what buds, each one in a different state of cleanliness etc. Sometimes I have many strains ground at once though not as often as I did when I increased my collection so significantly during pandemic lol still need steel BCG!

Razzle_N_Dazzle

I also have six, I started with a fine, then grabbed a medium, because I wanted to be able to have different strain grounds, and to complete colors... I then got the large size when it came out with medium plate (I never wanted to get multiple spare plates because I didn't really like the idea so much and I wanted to collect more colors anyway and have such variety of strains available usually)

It was then when the factory seconds first came out that I decided it was worth getting another one, and trying coarse plate... They had a special blood ruby edition and extra chunky coarse plate (unfortunately not in a matching color though) so that got me buying another one along with a second large size in a different color with fine plate since I use that and the medium most in general

I also have the OMD grinder and love it so it is in the rotation a lot, usually with two or three BCG, depending what grand I want and from what buds, each one in a different state of cleanliness etc. Sometimes I have many strains ground at once though not as often as I did when I increased my collection so significantly during pandemic lol still need steel BCG!
Having a collection/hobby start out simple and quickly spiral into something crazy is something I can definitely relate to on many levels :lol:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Playing with a BCG and Aroma-3…

The Aroma-3 seems to be designed to be used in one orientation, that is with the bearing at the top, you can use it at an angle, but if you go fully sideways or upside down, fine particles escape from around the edges of the lid and fall to the table because there is no lip to the lid to keep the herbs in the chamber when the lid is upside down.

With my old grinders, Kannastor, Pulsar Santa Cruz and with all of them I would start it grinding then turn it upside down and grind for a while upside down to get the grind to be more consistent.

With the bearing, there is a temptation to just use it upright, however if you do use it upside down you can get a much finer grind however because of the way the top of the Aroma-3 lid is shaped there’s nothing to hold the herbs inside the grinder except the magnetic force of the magnet if you have one. While grinding upside-down with the Aroma-3, fine particles fall out from around the lip of the lid.

When using the BCG in any orientation there doesn’t seem to be any escaping particles.

Just something I noticed..

Shit Snacks

with all of them I would start it grinding then turn it upside down and grind for a while upside down to get the grind to be more consistent.

Yep we've mentioned this in the OMD thread, to adjust the grind there it is dependent on how you load it and the consistency of the nugs... If you really pack it tight and especially if the nugs are fresher moist dense etc. then you can get a fine grind (that keeps the material in the grinder section longer as it spins although it can be a little hard to get it spinning at first, like the first turns in a BCG full of the same)

With the bearing, there is a temptation to just use it upright, however if you do use it upside down you can get a much finer grind however because of the way the top of the Aroma-3 lid is shaped there’s nothing to hold the herbs inside the grinder except the magnetic force of the magnet if you have one. While grinding upside-down with the Aroma-3, fine particles fall out from around the lip of the lid.

So yeah I never use my OMD upside down after testing initially, and I load it accordingly with what, depending on what I am looking for, I can use dryer material for a more coarse grind, sometimes get somewhere in between too... This is also why I recommended Ben create alternative plate options, there are a lot of people who wanted extra coarse though I just wanted a fine plate option so I can buy a second OMD too lol because yeah I really like the auto spinning auto grind feature even if it means less control over the end result grind, that is what all my BCG are for, they give a lot more full control over the grind, more of a perfected traditional grinder instead of something more totally new per se (and BCG with their side teeth in the lid make them ideal for upside down grinding ---which by the way I always do in the beginning of a grind and then I flip it the other way depending on how fine I want the grind to be, in my mind it makes absolutely no sense to start grinding right side up and then flip it upside down?? Then you are letting some larger bits potentially fall through before you could grind them finer so you are not going to get as consistent of a grind... but yeah doing upside down a bit in the beginning even when you are going for a more medium grind can help with the consistency, at least in my experience)

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
So yeah I never use my OMD upside down after testing initially, and I load it accordingly with what, depending on what I am looking for, I can use dryer material for a more coarse grind, sometimes get somewhere in between too... This is also why I recommended Ben create alternative plate options, there are a lot of people who wanted extra coarse though I just wanted a fine plate option so I can buy a second OMD too lol because yeah I really like the auto spinning auto grind feature even if it means less control over the end result grind, that is what all my BCG are for, they give a lot more full control over the grind, more of a perfected traditional grinder instead of something more totally new per se (and BCG with their side teeth in the lid make them ideal for upside down grinding ---which by the way I always do in the beginning of a grind and then I flip it the other way depending on how fine I want the grind to be, in my mind it makes absolutely no sense to start grinding right side up and then flip it upside down?? Then you are letting some larger bits potentially fall through before you could grind them finer so you are not going to get as consistent of a grind... but yeah doing upside down a bit in the beginning even when you are going for a more medium grind can help with the consistency, at least in my experience)
thanks mate, I haven't dug through the BCG or OMD threads about this stuff, I just figured this might be an ok place to talk about it and hear that sort of usage feedback, cheers.

I noticed, when I videoed myself using the BCG for the first time, I used it upside-down and sideways most of the time without realising, it which is what started this. Upside-down grinding was mainly a thing for my old shite grinders, I as I said did it by muscle memory and I was using the BCG upside with the coarse plate and the end result was a medium grind so, Its only something I would do (with better quailty grinders) if I only had one plate and wanted different grinds for different devices.

Shit Snacks

thanks mate, I haven't dug through the BCG or OMD threads about this stuff, I just figured this might be an ok place to talk about it and hear that sort of usage feedback, cheers.

Oh yeah it is, meant to say it could have been mentioned here before as well, I'm just adding extra support to what you're saying really :tup:

I noticed, when I videoed myself using the BCG for the first time, I used it upside-down and sideways most of the time without realising, it which is what started this. Upside-down grinding was mainly a thing for my old shite grinders, I as I said did it by muscle memory and I was using the BCG upside with the coarse plate and the end result was a medium grind so, Its only something I would do (with better quailty grinders) if I only had one plate and wanted different grinds for different devices.

Totally same, and the BCG is the best at it (do not miss doing it in SLX or SCS) for consistent grind which can be best for many vapes I enjoy medium -fine (also don't forget though the BCG coarse plate does have different teeth too so that changes the grind too even upside down compared to the other plates, yet still depending on the buds too of course, love em all)

Shit Snacks,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Oh yeah it is, meant to say it could have been mentioned here before as well, I'm just adding extra support to what you're saying really :tup:
Cheers mate

Totally same, and the BCG is the best at it (do not miss doing it in SLX or SCS) for consistent grind which can be best for many vapes I enjoy medium -fine (also don't forget though the BCG coarse plate does have different teeth too so that changes the grind too even upside down compared to the other plates, yet still depending on the buds too of course, love em all)
I noticed that about the coarse plates, I was cleaning the all afterwards and noticed the shape and size were different so when I opened a tub today I ended up grinding each gram differently... just for science... including just beating up a gram upside-down with the coarse plate just to see how different the end result was compared to the teeth in the medium. I'm about to try the grinds in a few devices and watch some bad TV.

I don't even know where my old grinders are... that's how little I miss them :)

olivianewtonjohn

Has Santa Cruz Shredder gone down in quality? Multiple places with missing paint including the threads, POV claimed they are "rack" marks and normal according to manufacture.

Was supposed to hold me over till OMD grinder came in

Last edited:

Madtater

Has Santa Cruz Shredder has gone down in quality? Multiple places with missing paint including the threads, POV claimed they are "rack" marks and normal according to manufacture.

My scs doesnt look “painted”. It looks “etched”. Maybe some kind of manufacture defect?

I was in my local head shop and all the ones they had there looked perfect (i only noticed because i was contemplating picking up another one).

olivianewtonjohn

My scs doesnt look “painted”. It looks “etched”. Maybe some kind of manufacture defect?

I was in my local head shop and all the ones they had there looked perfect (i only noticed because i was contemplating picking up another one).
AFAIK its anodized not sure if that is considered etched

olivianewtonjohn,
Reactions: Madtater

AndyO

A new batch of Mighty Roos was released about a week ago. Sadly the matte black ones weren't available :(

I really like the Mighty Roo, they give a great grind, they look and feel great in the hand... but tbh, having arrived the same week as my OMD Aroma-3, the MightyRoo probably becomes more of a display piece for now.

Shit Snacks

Has Santa Cruz Shredder gone down in quality? Multiple places with missing paint including the threads, POV claimed they are "rack" marks and normal according to manufacture.

I don't know about that quality I just think the modern teeth design they use is awful, I would only recommend if you could get one really cheap

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see
I've a taste for budget equipment. There's no way the high end grinder gang are even going to give this house room (materials, manufacture) , but produces a quite excellent fine grind for the cost of a gram of decent mids round these non-legal parts.

If you use a Vapman and want reliably find grind, you can do a lot lot worse for a lot lot more.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

I've a taste for budget equipment. There's no way the high end grinder gang are even going to give this house room (materials, manufacture) , but produces a quite excellent fine grind for the cost of a gram of decent mids round these non-legal parts.

If you use a Vapman and want reliably find grind, you can do a lot lot worse for a lot lot more.

You didn't mention how much it was?

Judging by the holes, hard to tell by the rest, this design looks to be a kannastor knock off btw (just FYI)

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Ramahs
Top Bottom