Herb Grinders

huxley

I've got a new unused NewVape.com Fine Grinder 3" Arm Band

When I received it, it had an odor of machine oil on the inside. I wasn't sure how to clean it, so I just packed it back up until I had time to investigate how to clean it.

I finally got a chance to look at it again yesterday.

I used a Q-tip to brush out the inside, and was surprised it came out blackish.

See photos:

https://imgur.com/a/vlCaqEs

It seems the black machine oil grease I am smelling is visible, and I am seeing it on the Q-tip, and appears to be coming from the center spindle magnet on the base and lid.

That said, hopefully this is not normal? I want to know if anyone who has this grinder experienced a machine oil smell when you first got it?

I am trying to understand the function of this oil. Are there ball bearings inside the spindle casing that are leaking?

Even if I somehow manage to get the machine oil film / smell / black deposits out of the unit, how do I know they wont keep coming back over time? Is there any logical reason to think the machine oil issue only affects it in the beginning, and will not be continuously seeping? Which is why I haven't used it yet.

As a medical user, it is very important I don't get contaminants into the medicine.

I don't want my herb to get a thin layer of machine oil that I then inhale.

Honestly, if I had known that this unit contained machine oil that could leak, I would have passed as I cannot afford the risk that it could, at any time, emit more oil after I clean it up on day one.

I suppose it's really not faulty, maybe that's just the natural design.

I finally sent NewVape an email, we'll see what they have to say.

Are there any stainless steel fine grinders that do not use machine oil?

Summer

Long Island, NY
They have to use oil when machining, otherwise, the
the drill/machining bit would get too hot & be ruined. It's called lubrication. Same blackish oil is on vapcaps when rec'd.

Moisten cotton bowls with iso & thoroughly wipe the grinder down, followed by a wash in hot soapy water, rinse & wipe dry.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Honestly, if I had known that this unit contained machine oil that could leak, I would have passed as I cannot afford the risk that it could, at any time, emit more oil after I clean it up on day one.
To expand upon what @Summer explained above, the unit doesn’t have oil inside it, it was merely used to shape it. (I think that is what you were alluding to above)
Most usually do a better job of wiping it off, but even if they did, it would still need to be cleaned before using.
When I get a new vape/accessories I always assume there is residual something or other and give it a good cleaning first - one of the many tips I learned from FC!

huxley

Moisten cotton bowls with iso & thoroughly wipe the grinder down, followed by a wash in hot soapy water, rinse & wipe dry.

Thanks, I'll try it.

To expand upon what @Summer explained above, the unit doesn’t have oil inside it, it was merely used to shape it.

Thank you. This is what I was wondering. As long as there is no oil inside by design. After I saw the blackened Q-tip, I thought maybe there were ball bearings or something inside responsible for why the unit spins so easily. So that is the most important thing to me, that there is no oil filled bearing section. Thank you.

You could try boiling it also.

Thanks. I'll try the soap and water first, and if its still bad, yes, now I feel safe to boil it, now that I know there is no internal continuous oil source. Also I originally thought there were some other hollow parts on this that water could get forever into. There are some gaps on the slippery black gasket that separates the 2 halves, that I wasn't sure where these gaps led to. But just now I pried out the gasket and now realize this unit is one solid chunk of metal, and the black gasket just has 2 weird shape cutouts on them for no apparent reason. So I feel safe cleaning it now.

CANtalk

Here's a picture of my recently cleaned Zeus Grinder :tup:. I should have shown the interior :rolleyes::lol: (too late), but I included a great ELB loading tool there on the right ;). This combo overall :rockon::nod:.
4u4jl3uofiq21.jpg

MGG

Just purchased an Otto Grinder with the intent of using it to grind and load directly into the vapexhale cloud ELB's (herb chamber) and directly into the mighty bowl.

Hopefully it'll work even though it's not necessarily it's original purpose.

MGG

Sorry for multiple posts but also want to add to this that the Easy Grinder also looks legit and in some ways better than the Otto I just bought (also cheaper)

I'm only putting this info out because I couldn't find anything on it myself and it 'could' be helpful to some random out there.

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Grinder-Replacement-Adjustable-Rechargeable/dp/B07177NZ3K

I almost want to get both to compare.
Purely going off specs

Both use the same charging method so I won't mention that.

Easy Grinder :
+ longer battery (5 hours)
+ instantly grinds
+ has better amazon rating
+ less expensive than Otto
+ holds up to 2.5g
+ smaller?
+ weighs half the amount of otto
+ has more positive reviews
+ battery gauge
+ has the ability to manually grind (with some effort in unscrewing a bunch of parts, maybe this could be useful if you were camping or something lol)
- seems to be a lot messier
- herb appears to get stuck and not come out easily, seems to dispense poorly
- looks a bit phallic
- less consistent grind, has higher potential to over grind or under grind

Otto Grinder :
+ has higher quality grinding teeth
+ has AI that can sense when bowl is full and auto grind
+ comes with glass/magnetic filling chamber
+ comes with more extras such as 20 free cones
+ seems to be less messy to use
+ uses magnetic locks
+ can reverse grind when stuck
+ more advanced newer patented 'SMART' technology, works more like an actual grinder rather than the Easy Grinders 'coffee grinder' style blades
+ faster boot/turn on times
+ likely to give a more consistent grind
+ spring loaded grinder
+ dispenses better
+ comes with magnetically detachable mouth piece
- holds 1g-1.2 reportedly (less than easy grinder)
- usually doesn't instantly grind (takes a while to 'sense' herb density)
- Way lower battery by the sounds of it, claims to do 20-30 cones. So assuming each cone takes at MOST 30 seconds that would be at most '15 minute battery' which is pretty pathetic...

Summary :
I really think the Easy Grinder has some strengths, being cheaper, longer battery, loads more.
It's hard to say without trying both. To me just watching videos the Otto 'appears' to function better in terms of the grind it produces and the fact it can reverse its grind when stuck.
It seems to have some neat features but whether or not that's just fancy marketing jargon is yet to be determined.

I'm considering getting the Easy Grinder to properly compare both but I already feel getting the Otto Grinder to begin with was excessive.

On a side note to throw a spanner into the whole thing there's also the 'HERBAGRIND' which appears to do a somewhat similar thing to Easy Grinder.
I can't even find where to buy that where i'm at so i'm not personally going to go into that.

Last edited:

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I would love to see someone with either a lift of bcg attempt to microwave some abv collected over about a months time in for 5-10 seconds.

I have been meaning to do this for quite awhile, sorry for the delay.
Using 10.5 grams of AVB ground exclusively in my BCG, I microwave’d for 15 seconds and....
Nothing. No sparks or flames, no off putting smell, just nicely roasted AVB.
In other words, no metal is inadvertently getting into the bud.

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
I have been meaning to do this for quite awhile, sorry for the delay.
Using 10.5 grams of AVB ground exclusively in my BCG, I microwave’d for 15 seconds and....
Nothing. No sparks or flames, no off putting smell, just nicely roasted AVB.
In other words, no metal is inadvertently getting into the bud.
Thank you so much for doing this Jill! I hadn’t forgotten about this and actually someone on reddit I think just posted about how they were found to have high levels of aluminum in their blood

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Thank you so much for doing this Jill! I hadn’t forgotten about this and actually someone on reddit I think just posted about how they were found to have high levels of aluminum in their blood

Meh. Most people are stupid.
They can't help it. it is what it is.
Then the internet happened, and now the stupid have no idea how to tell good info from bad info on the intertubes.
Now they all go to Google University.

Ramahs,
Reactions: sag

MGG

Otto Grinder Review :

So for the very small fraction of people who may ever be interested in this device.
I received it today and am currently in the process of running it through 3 different materials.

It's conflicting to recommenced the Otto.
In some ways it DOES do what it claims.
But there's so many oversights, marketing jargon, coupled with a high entry fee.
The Otto is in some ways truly a luxury device, but the amount of babying and maintenance required makes me question how it's actually helping me 'Take it Easy' or 'Chill'.

Lets first talk about what the Otto does well.

The Otto is with out a doubt fantastic at GRINDING
I tested 3 different strains ranging from Sativa to Indica and threw amounts far larger than i'd ever typically grind (around 1g-2g Typically I don't grind more than i'm going to vape right at that moment)
The Otto grinded them basically instantly, Significantly faster than I could grind them I assure you.
The grind quality itself is also very consistent and flawless.

When the filling tool works when it doesn't jam it's amazingly convenient and nifty.
Being able to instantly load my Mighty and Vapexhale honestly saves me so much in terms of
- time to load onto paper then carefully pour into the chamber
- losing product on floor
- spending more time pouring that.

Being able to directly grind and load is bliss (when it works), it saves so much time and to me is a cool looking device. Despite the somewhat cheap feeling build quality. Visually Otto looks beautiful and high tech. In many ways it's a fantastic concept piece, a V2 that fixed some issues could be incredible.

Now onto what it's primary issues.
- You must remember to turn it off manually or the battery will run out in a few minutes
- The battery is not replaceable
- You cannot charge it whilst running
- The battery lasts roughly 15 minutes ( confirmed by Banana Bros )
- The latch is very weak, many reports of breaking, the first thing I noticed when I opened it up is that I have to really baby this thing because it FEELS like it could snap so easily and it's already loose and I just bought this thing.
- Spring will eventually get gunked and need to be replaced.
- Furthermore the spring system annoys me personally. It's hard to pack onto a flat surface, herb often spills to the sides.
- Herb gets stuck in the attachable spout and has to be reversed upside down to get loose.
- The replaceable mouth system is just annoying, Easy Grinders version seems so much easier and more convenient. I just choose to sit the unit upside down when i'm not using it to prevent herb spilling out.
- The motor emits an electronic 'burning' smell
- herb gets stuck in the latch, feel like im still wasting herb because it still gets stuck all inside the grinder.
- it packs fairly light (This was an issue for many users and it is true but not so much an issue for me, just have a tool to tap it down further)
- It won't all come out and so when you open the grinder it spills everywhere. I don't see how to avoid this other than preparing a bowl for it to spill into?

Perhaps it's biggest flaw is that the herb gets stuck.
It's not that it gets stuck in one component, it gets stuck in everything.
The hinge, the grinder, underneath the spring, underneath the mouthpiece magnet, the mouthpiece.
Now i'm losing more herb than ever TO THE GRINDER ITSELF. The brush helps, but I don't want to grind this thing every 2 times I use it.

To me, i'm really tempted to get the Easy Grinder. It seems to be basically the same thing but smaller, better battery life and less complicated design result in less shit getting stuck in the grinder itself.
It basically looks like a portable coffee grinder. I think the vast majority are better off getting a coffee grinder. This is a fun toy, I like it, but it's sort of like 'The Powerglove' of vaping accessories. You know that old NES addon that looked kind of cool but then actually using it was sort of dogshit. That's the Otto. It looks cool, it sort of works. I'd be really surprised if it lasts longer than 3 months of regular use.

I just bought this thing and my guess is the latch is going to go just feeling how flimsy it is and how easily herb can get stuck inside.

The whole reason I got this device was for spilling shit less, but it seems to cause more spills than the manual method I was using before...

Last edited:

René

Hi, could you please tell me something about new vape fine grinder?
I own a small silver space case, buy from vaposhop assumimg it is genuine I really do not like it..to me it doesn't gie me any plus respect any other cheap 2pcs alloy grinder.

I' d like something able to grind my weed like the S&B orange plastic grinder does.

I do not want to buy the cherry wood super fine grinder (magic flight) and I do not mind to have a pollen chamber so 2pcs would be perfect.

I read lots of good things about newvape, it is crazily expensive in my opinion, expecially here in europe and also quite hard to find out..but it seems like the only good option for a fine grinder...I am only afraid it need to full the grinder surface to work fine because
I usually grind just a little amount like 0,2 grams ..actually plastic grinder does it perfectly but at the same time as lots of you I do not like the idea of little plastic pieces inside my grind.

I have a mighty and a vapcap but sometime (rarely)i also roll a joint.

Would you recommend the fine new vape?
Sorry for my bad english

Regards

René,
Reactions: BigJr48

René

Hi Summer I didn' t find any answer searching for newvape grinder here. Just noticing that it give a very fine grinding but I still do not know how does it work compared to S&B plastic grinder and if it works with little amount too(ish 0,2gr) like orange grinder does.

Regards

René,

SquirrelMaster

Here are some comparison pictures of the grinds from the BCG fine, medium, coarse, Herb Ripper XL fine and medium (coarse not in my hands yet) and a cheap Chinese knockoff grinder. Both fine plates grinds are very similar, and the medium on the HerbRipper is more fine then the medium on the BCG. All of them came out fluffy.

41551997_20190711_085010.jpg

Top Bottom