Herb Grinders

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
Hi all,

I need to purchase a grinder for my Herbalizer. Originally I was planning on buying a Lift Innovations grinder, but after doing more research I think there may be better options out there.

It looks like the top 2 in the last few pages of this thread are the SLX and Gr8tr grinders, but I haven't been able to find someone who's done a shootout yet between those 2.

From what I understand, the SLX is desirable for its non-stick coating, and the Gr8tr is desirable for its modularity. Since I have only been using an Herbalizer (I also have a Crafty, although I haven't used it in awhile), and the Gr8tr has a vape specific plate, would I want to go for the Gr8tr? The SLX doesn't have the option to exchange plates.

I also plan to try the Storz & Bickel Dosing Capsules in the Herbalizer, if that makes a difference.

The other 2 that people seem to like here are the SCS, and the Super Weapon. I understand the SCS can be hard to clean. What are the selling points of the Super Weapon?

And any other grinders you think I should consider based on what I typed above?

Thanks.

I like my GR8TR because it makes top notch fine grind fluff for my vapes.
The NEWVAPE fine grinder is top notch also.

abcd5432

It's been my experience that turning a grinder upside down is a sure way to get weed into places where it shouldn't be. My Space case won't tolerate any grinding whilst upside down or it's immediately sticky and hard to turn.

This was a problem with my SCS. With my SLX, it's fine no matter what.

What is the reason? It's kinda ugly and annoying being loose... This is the first I've seen with a gasket there

Upside down gunks slower? Total opposite of my experience
Upside down is fine with the SLX. Gasket not being removed is DIRECT from the manufacturer. I dunno why they recommend not to.

od1

Yeah mine had a gasket in the bottom section too, thank you for confirming it's not necessary. I guess it can be a spare if I ever need a new one for the top section.

@cybrguy & @od1 I wholeheartedly recommend the SLX but I need more time with it ofcourse. The GR8TR is pretty nice but eh, again need more time, the vape one has a finer plate than my solid body though? Maybe that's why the grind wasn't so impressive to me...

Also yeah I guess I should try drying herbs a little but don't really feel like dealing with that, packs or not. I also do like the fresh moist dense herbs, so tasty mmm, though they may not vape or grind quite as well. I haven't ground anymore loads yet so I will try to keep updating as I do to compare for people.

As of now though, it really does feel like the SLX is an overall winner, even though I've used Santa Cruz for a long while with great versatile results. But the SLX really is something special, more noticeable in person for sure

Thanks for the comparison. As far as I know, the Gr8tr Solid Body and Jar grinders come with both the vape and coarse plates, whereas the Vape version just comes with the vape plate: https://www.kannastor.com/products/gr8tr.html

You did get 2 plates with yours, right?

I've only been using an Herbalizer, so I want to go for the one that makes the best grind for my vape. I emailed Herbalizer tech support and got this response "With our Herbalizer, we recommend a medium grind for flower, actually. A fluffy medium grind will allow for maximum airflow through the bowl, versus fine. And you'll only want to fill the bowl loosely and halfway up."

Looking at pictures of the SLX I can't tell if the plate's more medium or coarse sized.

I like my GR8TR because it makes top notch fine grind fluff for my vapes.
The NEWVAPE fine grinder is top notch also.

Thanks for the review. Have you tried the SLX? And have you tried an Herbalizer with the Gr8tr's fine grind?

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
@od1

The fine grind from the GR8TR vape is slightly too fine. I would recommend the coarse plate if you get the GR8TR.

Winegums,
Reactions: Prolusio

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Upside down is fine with the SLX. Gasket not being removed is DIRECT from the manufacturer. I dunno why they recommend not to.

Are you sure they didn't mean the main too section gasket? Since apparently some don't even come with the lower one. The top one you definitely wouldn't want to remove bc that's what you turn back and forth repeatedly

Thanks for the comparison. As far as I know, the Gr8tr Solid Body and Jar grinders come with both the vape and coarse plates, whereas the Vape version just comes with the vape plate: https://www.kannastor.com/products/gr8tr.html

You did get 2 plates with yours, right?

I've only been using an Herbalizer, so I want to go for the one that makes the best grind for my vape. I emailed Herbalizer tech support and got this response "With our Herbalizer, we recommend a medium grind for flower, actually. A fluffy medium grind will allow for maximum airflow through the bowl, versus fine. And you'll only want to fill the bowl loosely and halfway up."

Looking at pictures of the SLX I can't tell if the plate's more medium or coarse sized.

Yeah I got both plates, since the fine plate gave me a fairly uneven course grind itself (again, albeit just one try for now) so I can't imagine the course plate being very useful for me. It's holes are pretty huge.

SLX is definitely a medium grinder, unless you go upside down I suppose, the holes honestly seem pretty perfect to me and the teeth are great. Again still only one use so far.

I'd say go with SCS or SLX probably, for that medium fluffy grind, but it also depends on the herbs. Either way I'd expect the herbalizer to have no trouble with whatever grind honestly...

little maggie

Are you sure they didn't mean the main too section gasket? Since apparently some don't even come with the lower one. The top one you definitely wouldn't want to remove bc that's what you turn back and forth repeatedly

Yeah I got both plates, since the fine plate gave me a fairly uneven course grind itself (again, albeit just one try for now) so I can't imagine the course plate being very useful for me. It's holes are pretty huge.

SLX is definitely a medium grinder, unless you go upside down I suppose, the holes honestly seem pretty perfect to me and the teeth are great. Again still only one use so far.

I'd say go with SCS or SLX probably, for that medium fluffy grind, but it also depends on the herbs. Either way I'd expect the herbalizer to have no trouble with whatever grind honestly...
My main grinder is the Gr8tr and I don't find the grind much different from the SCS. I don't remember which plate I'm using but whichever grinder I use I only use a small bud or 2 instead of a large amount. Maybe try again?

The lift has a very rough grind- even lets in small stems. I use it because it takes minimal motor effort.

Whissmu

I do not remember the answer -> the Gr8tr gets stuck?

I have one coming to my home! I hope to Give on the bullseye in my choice ... I liked its volume, I liked multiple options, I liked aesthetically, I liked it because it looks easy to clean, I liked to store my buds of the day .... I hope it does not disappoint me :uhoh:

SoDelicious

Salted Caramel Ice Cream
I do not remember the answer -> the Gr8tr gets stuck?

I have one coming to my home! I hope to Give on the bullseye in my choice ... I liked its volume, I liked multiple options, I liked aesthetically, I liked it because it looks easy to clean, I liked to store my buds of the day .... I hope it does not disappoint me :uhoh:

I'm also interested in the gr8tr for the exact same reasons as you :p

I'd be great to hear your thoughts on the gr8tr! I plan on purchasing it on 4/20, hopefully there'll be a deal by then

Whissmu

I'm also interested in the gr8tr for the exact same reasons as you :p

I'd be great to hear your thoughts on the gr8tr! I plan on purchasing it on 4/20, hopefully there'll be a deal by then

My tracking indicates arrival on 04/18 .. I have no experience in grinders beyond having the grinder of the volcano / mighty, quick grinder and some bad grinders aluminum ... Even so I will comment my opinion regarding my expectations! :sherlock:

I haven't had a problem with the gr8tr getting stuck. I've had it for a year and it's been my main grinder. The only one I own that gets stuck is the SCS. I like grinding one strain for the storage compartment and the other for leaving in the grinder bottom.

Fantastic !! :tup:

I plan to copy your method :nod:

edit-> @Winegums yeaah! wonderfull

thanks very muchs

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
My tracking indicates arrival on 04/18 .. I have no experience in grinders beyond having the grinder of the volcano / mighty, quick grinder and some bad grinders aluminum ... Even so I will comment my opinion regarding my expectations! :sherlock:

Fantastic !! :tup:

I plan to copy your method :nod:

edit-> @Winegums yeaah! wonderfull

thanks very muchs
When you're loading it make sure you don't over load it, it doesn't seem to like when you throw a big nug in the chamber. It's best to break up the material into 5/8" pieces and load it so half the teeth are covered. It produces a surprisingly fluffy grind for how fine it is.

goatgobaahh

I've been scouring the internet looking for a 2pc Jumbo SCS. At this point, I realize they don't make them anymore.

I have no need for the gold jumbo 4 pc. Ideally, I'd like a bigger than 3 inch in diameter grinder that works great with vaping. I have an Evo and a Herbalizer.

I can't seem to find any decent Large options. Any help squad?

(looked at the 3 inch mendo multcher but looking for bigger)

goatgobaahh,
Reactions: Prolusio

Whissmu

@Winegums Thank you very much for you contributions, I keep in mind also you advice ! my usual method is to fill the mill a little, although have do of two times ... a thing that I will make in the lack of my quick grinder is -> the collection that is recover when clean it every two weeks -> look picture :razz:
image.jpg

od1

@od1

The fine grind from the GR8TR vape is slightly too fine. I would recommend the coarse plate if you get the GR8TR.

Thanks, you have a Herbalizer yeah? Have you tried the SLX?

Let me know what you think after a few uses. I plan to order all my stuff around 4/20 for the sales. I also have a Crafty, and I'm going to try the Storz & Bickel Dosing Capsules in the Herbalizer.

Herbie's excellent, but the rep said a specific grind was best, so I would like to know from an Herbalizer user who's tried both the Gr8tr and SLX, which they prefer, and why.

Interesting the differences in opinion on the Gr8tr's grind. It's hard for me to make a decision right now, and they both have their selling points.

Last edited:

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the info.

Stevenski, have you ever used a Gr8tr, and have an opinion on it?

No, I have not. I was going to get one but chose the SLX instead. From what I have read it seems a top tier grinder but if I was to buy another grinder it would be a coloured SLX right now.

Yours seems very similar to mine wear wise @MoltenTiger. Scratches & scuffs but not where it actually matters.

But the SLX really is something special, more noticeable in person for sure

The honeymoon is very real. It sure ain't over for me & mine just made up a bowl of cocktails for after dinner. Life is good.

Justpassedu

Just got myself a GR8tr Vape series grinder and i am liking it allot so far. I put about a half oz or more so far through it with great success , the grind with the vape plate is close to the mflb finishing grinders , probably a drop bigger of a grind and i am glad that i finally have something without a kief catch which was my reason for purchasing. So far grinding is effortless , i do see it needing to be cleaned probably after every 2 oz's put through it to stay fresh and not clog up on me but only time will tell. The fact that the grinding plates can be interchanged and come out makes it allot easier on me for cleaning and happier knowing if the blades start to wear they can just be swapped out. The only thing i'd prob change so far is making the grip on the outside a bit bigger. The company has been great to deal with and they even through in some free gifts like Ryot smell proof case and a kief press. Well worth the money spent as i usually never buy grinders often , its like a once every few years thing for me. Happy i went with Kannastor.

SoDelicious

Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Just curious, how do you know that the Kannastor is made in Canada?

Oops, I think I got the "made in canada" from another brand of grinders I was looking at a while back.

Its probably because kannastor also offer free shipping within Canada which got me mixed up (from what I have seen online most grinders don't ship free to Canada)

My bad! Don't wanna spread any false information :wave:

biohacker

The "Gr8tr" is made in China. Kannastor however, is a Canadian company.

Not surprising that it's made in China, but again how do you know it's a Canadian company? Their contact info says Florida, and most Canadian companies use .ca not .com.

The only thing i'd prob change so far is making the grip on the outside a bit bigger.

Agreed, not sure why they didn't make it like the solid body, which is why I think it's superior especially when you buy the puck, you essential have a Vape Gr8tr AND Solid body.

Oops, I think I got the "made in canada" from another brand of grinders I was looking at a while back.

Probably the Lift Innovations! :tup:

biohacker,

Justpassedu

Not surprising that it's made in China, but again how do you know it's a Canadian company? Their contact info says Florida, and most Canadian companies use .ca not .com.

Agreed, not sure why they didn't make it like the solid body, which is why I think it's superior especially when you buy the puck, you essential have a Vape Gr8tr AND Solid body.

Probably the Lift Innovations! :tup:
Can you link me to that Solid body , do they allow for a separate purchase on it ?

Justpassedu,
Top Bottom