Have we reached the portable end game?

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Joke aside i would really love to see a portable vaporizer that has a revolver bowl /magazine and you can rotate loads.
It was done a couple of years ago (as I'm sure you know) and put them out of business:
maxresdefault.jpg

But I hear ya, it would be nice to have it done correctly/reliably, if not for me personally, but others...

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
It was done a couple of years ago (as I'm sure you know) and put them out of business:
maxresdefault.jpg

But I hear ya, it would be nice to it done correctly, if not for me personally, but others...
Yeah i know that one, they are still sold around for dirt cheap, just by looking at it i can tell you have to pay me some serious money to use that vaporizer,lol :D
I was more imagining something like this
Edited :
https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/purifyzer-vaporizer.49989/ This one is pretty close

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: Bologna

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Yeah i know that one, they are still sold around for dirt cheap, just by looking at it i can tell you have to pay me some serious money to use that vaporizer,lol :D
I was more imagining something like this
Edited :
https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/purifyzer-vaporizer.49989/ This one is pretty close

RE: The NEO...: Oh, you Euros and your "gun- envy"... just get one already, if you must! :D:nod::lmao:

Jokes aside, I had an idea years ago similar to the "Purifyser" (not sold on the name)... A glass tube filled with grind and wrapped with a coil/heating element that would heat the load moving slowly down like that of a cigarette but not burning... Would make for more of a "joint" kinda feel...? DynaVaps are really only modern "dugouts"/bats to me...

Last edited:
Bologna,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
RE: The NEO...: Oh, you Euros and your "gun- envy"... just get one already, if you must! :D:nod::lmao:

Jokes aside, I had an idea years ago similar to the "Purifyser" (not sold on the name)... A glass tube filled with grind and wrapped with a coil/heating element that would heat the load moving slowly down like that of a cigarette but not burning...
Dunno how is in the rest of EU ,but guns are pretty legal in my Country just not automatics,just it is not good to shoot someone ,if he doesnt have a gun even if he is hanging with a machete over your bed . I dont like the sound of guns ,but then silencers are illegal... I think i am better off with throwing stones ,we have those in excess here or maybe just get an crossbow.
Dafuq there are automatic crossbowls... https://www.amazon.com/EK-Archery-Automatic-Repeating-Crossbow/dp/B07ZQNWBDV
That loading system sounds pretty interesting but would vapor/heat pass trough the vaped/fresh herb depending on the direction you are moving the heat ?

Last edited:

jardri

Vapor Dreams
I have a Haze Square Pro and its performance can be really impressive!!

I had to correctly set temps, make sure herb is dry and well grinded. I had to correctly place the titanium resistance as it came misplaced and that produced hotspots. Also, i had to twist the center screw a little in order to tighten the chambers so i got better airpath seal. All the herb chambers had to be clean enough, no holes covered or i would get combustion. Also the battery has to be fully charged because it has 4 years and quickly looses charge.

But when i do everything right this thing gives huuuge clouds and an incredible flavour, among my top 3 all time vapor quality.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Dunno how is in the rest of EU ,but guns are pretty legal in my Country just not automatics,just it is not good to shoot someone ,if he doesnt have a gun ,too. I dont like the sound of guns ,but then silencers are illegal... I think i am better off with throwing stones ,we have those in excess here or maybe just get an arbalet..
That loading system sounds pretty interesting but would vapor/heat pass trough the vaped/fresh herb depending on the direction you are moving the heat ?

Typical 'murican assumption on my part... please excuse as it was merely a joke...

Yes, you know, I really didn't consider the load essentially being "filtered" by itself and becoming more reclaim-inous (resinous) and maybe stronger/gunky as it moved down.... guess I never really put all that much thought into it to begin with... thanks for your thoughts, tho!

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
A tube-shaped device would ruin the rest of the session's flavor. If we are thinking one hit per load for optimal flavor, why not have a 12-barrel revolver with mini bowl packs, the heater only has to be strong enough to vape the microdose amount in one hit. Bonus for a grinder that fills up your vape revolver.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
A tube-shaped device would ruin the rest of the session's flavor. If we are thinking one hit per load for optimal flavor, why not have a 12-barrel revolver with mini bowl packs, the heater only has to be strong enough to vape the microdose amount in one hit. Bonus for a grinder that fills up your vape revolver.

Yes, exactly, my idea was to create something more "joint-like", not something centered around optimal flavor and thus having to be a "one-hitter" (w/a magazine).... you'd just hit it and pass it or Bogart it, whatevs... or just turn it off once satisfied.... anyway, it's a stoopid idea... and I'm not offended by that realization at all.

Please carry on...

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
One of the main requirements for me in what I would consider a portable is that it fits in my pocket comfortably.
This is why I feel the oil cartridge has no competition, nothing else fits in the pocket the same. Most dry herb devices are "transportable" - I can, and do bring them with me in a bag or something, but the pocketability, or EDC factor is still unsurpassed. And any advancements which would improve flower devices could be used for concentrates. Its all about power efficiency - getting the flavor of convection with the low power draw of conduction. Also the material is already decarboxylated, thus less latent energy needed for vaporization.

Yeah the Bowle is a cordless vaporizer, not a portable. There is a difference and the Bowle is the best cordless I have tried but it lacks criteria needed for a true portable, so is out of place in this thread.
Also out of place would be a comment that the Bowle battery life is actually excellent, when you think of it as a cordless. More than enough for that session by the pool, once the drink is gone so is the battery and so is your sobriety.

I'm with you 100% on the first half, but I don't agree that the Bowle battery life is excellent, it would have to last longer than a Mighty for that. And my mighty lost half its capacity after the first year, it's inevitable that Bowles will eventually start struggling to get through two pots. Just like my Grasshopper Ti. This is the biggest problem with people not loving the battery life as is, since it will inevitably only get worse.

Price under 50$

This is the real reason why we're nowhere close to an endgame, to truly optimize existing battery and material technology would require significant expenses outside the realm of anything fit for mass consumption. I could build a highly efficient heat exchanger using bleeding edge processes and custom alloys, but very few could afford it - at that point, how "end game" is something nobody can access. We haven't seen much trickle down technology, even over the last 20 years. Volcano is still relatively unchanged, log vapes are still relatively unchanged, and the Solo still seems popular as ever. At the same time, I can't help but think of the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:

Vaporware

Maybe get out of the skinny jeans and wear some grown up pants or shorts?
😜

The problem is I usually have a bunch of other stuff in my pockets and at some point it gets to be a little excessive, so the smaller and lighter the better.

Still, a dry herb portable ends up in my pocket a lot more often than a cart. Or I take both because the carts are barely noticeable. Sometimes I think I’ve lost one for a minute because I can’t find it in my pocket! :lol:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@invertedisdead The Nomad, Firewood 7 and a few others are pretty comfortably pocketable by my standards, but yeah size, weight and battery life even in that “most portable” group are still not close to my PCKT One Plus or even smaller stuff like CCells or the tiny Pax Era.

...and yet my use remains 95% flower and edibles. :shrug:

My thing with dry herb portable pocketability is carrying around a small container of ground herb in the pocket often takes up as much room as a oil pen. Not even counting the actual vaporizer, or any accessories. That was the thing with the Grasshopper is the actual device was really small, but if you wanted to carry around more than one pre packed bowl it started taking up both pockets.

The main drawback I have with pens is they are kinda complicated to make at home without the right equipment and I don't like being reliant on the dispensary. Flower portables are easier to stick it to the man 😁

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Loved reading through this thread. I think about this topic A LOT.

Consuming anything into our bodies is obviously a personal affair, so subjectivity must be considered. I think an "end-game" vaporizer that fulfills form and function for every human on earth is not possible. Instead, it's much more useful to think of it in terms of an end-game experience for YOU.

In that case, I feel like I have seen a lot of people proclaim that they have found their end-game, and I'm sure that's accurate. Tons of people will feel like a joint is the end-game method of smoking, and they'll smoke joints for their entire life. That's OK.

Function may have very little to do with the concept of an end-game solution to your particular consumption problems.

BUT, it's fun to think about... so I'll start with my thoughts on function.

I believe there will be a point where we are only limited by physics. The size of the herb load will be the only limiting factor. I think we are getting close to these limits with desktops, but portables are a little ways behind.

In a portable I feel like the variables must be more strictly controlled because the tolerances are tighter for success. In a desktop you can have a massive heat sink available for heat transfer and that makes a huge difference.

A portable I think must work within a tight system. All parts need to work in harmony. You can't waste heat.

I believe this is why portables are behind desktops.. It's just a more complex problem to solve.

It will seem like the pace of improvement slows and slows.... Where in the past 20 years it feels like every year we are seeing huge leaps in performance... the future will feel like a slow crawl. That is the way for pretty much every mature technology out there.

In any case, I believe the peak of function, from a pure extraction quality standpoint, is fairly close.

What will never be perfected, is the 'soul' of a piece. Once function is settled, form takes over. It's the intangible that will draw you to a new piece. VAS will never end.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Loved reading through this thread. I think about this topic A LOT.

Consuming anything into our bodies is obviously a personal affair, so subjectivity must be considered. I think an "end-game" vaporizer that fulfills form and function for every human on earth is not possible. Instead, it's much more useful to think of it in terms of an end-game experience for YOU.

In that case, I feel like I have seen a lot of people proclaim that they have found their end-game, and I'm sure that's accurate. Tons of people will feel like a joint is the end-game method of smoking, and they'll smoke joints for their entire life. That's OK.

Function may have very little to do with the concept of an end-game solution to your particular consumption problems.

BUT, it's fun to think about... so I'll start with my thoughts on function.

I believe there will be a point where we are only limited by physics. The size of the herb load will be the only limiting factor. I think we are getting close to these limits with desktops, but portables are a little ways behind.

In a portable I feel like the variables must be more strictly controlled because the tolerances are tighter for success. In a desktop you can have a massive heat sink available for heat transfer and that makes a huge difference.

A portable I think must work within a tight system. All parts need to work in harmony. You can't waste heat.

I believe this is why portables are behind desktops.. It's just a more complex problem to solve.

It will seem like the pace of improvement slows and slows.... Where in the past 20 years it feels like every year we are seeing huge leaps in performance... the future will feel like a slow crawl. That is the way for pretty much every mature technology out there.

In any case, I believe the peak of function, from a pure extraction quality standpoint, is fairly close.

What will never be perfected, is the 'soul' of a piece. Once function is settled, form takes over. It's the intangible that will draw you to a new piece. VAS will never end.
Once function is perfected beauty is always the next chase and being subjective......... it seems a endurance race.
That is the trap for me with logs the never ending variety of shapes and species........the soul of those pieces speak to me.

Cannabiker

if he screws up its ok because he's already used to combustion
In a recent review of a vape with unusual temperature calibration which led to unanticipated combustion, Troy said, "Combusting is like shitting your pants." So his review of the vape was tainted with "It just made me shit my pants."

Combusting in a vape is not at all like burning a fattie. When you smoke, especially a joint, the cherry pushes heat ahead of it, vaporizing everything in its path, so what you get is mix of vape and smoke. That's why smoking has a hint of flavor. But a vape sucks all the goodness out of the load before it combusts. By the time it lights up, it might as well be a dry field, and the effect is like taking a hit off of a wildfire--hot, dry, and harsh. It's never OK.

But otherwise I agree with @mccringleberry; vapes that can combust are much better for converting smokers--that was my experience, anyway. When I got my Silver Surfer around 15 years ago, I picked it because it was hailed as a vaporizer for smokers. I learned about the parameters of vaping by crossing the line occasionally. Without the experience of full extraction followed by disastrous combustion, I'd have been forever convinced I was leaving something on the table.

All these years later, I still like dancing up to the edge of combustion, so I'm frustrated by vapes that won't go there. I know a MIghty is optimized for full extraction, but I still wish I could push it a few more degrees. That's a problem with most portables. They're designed to deliver a predictable experience with no unpleasant surprises, which is probably a good idea for the general public. The problem is, as many have noted, people looking for that experience are often going to just grab a cartridge.

For now, I've found my endgame portable in a ti-tipped Simrell with a Fluxer IH. Austyn said he as going for the experience of hitting a joint, and he nailed it. It's ironic, because I don't want to smoke a joint, I just want to duplicate the feeling.

Shadooz

Have we reached the portable end game?​

Definitly NO

First battery is still an evolving tech

Secondly, there is still margin for the full convection portable to reach the desktop efficiency. 510 mod come close, but they still have to increase, change the coil shape. And also get better reactive box, precisely set up for the coil response with draw.

And last, as everything is still a bit artisanal, a medical grade quality control will be required for all of them. Even a crafty, which is outdated now, doesn't deserve a medical certification...

Top Bottom