Have we reached the portable end game?

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
With the portable vapes we have today, can we really improve on them?

Batteries can only hold so much energy for their size, the laws of physics (or chemistry) come in to play.

A heater element is a balance between size, energy usage and performance. I don't see some magic material for heaters turning up, which would drastically change this balance.

So with these limiting factors in mind, it becomes more personal preference.

What size do you prefer?
What battery life do you want? (Effects size)
What performance do you want? (Effects size and battery life).

Any improvement would then have a negative effect on something else.

I see the portables I own (TM, P80, and others) and think - I am not sure how many improvements can be made here, if any.

If so why do I still get VAS?

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Well speaking for TM/TUBOecic/Tubox/Splinter , a lot more can be desired in the purity of concept. Wires in the Airpath, Mica, Circuit boards, Aluminum , Glue, Solder ... As much i as i love wood i would also prefer it separated from the airpath,cause some woods have adulterating odor, worst of all is plywood which is wood dust and glue mix.
I wanna see only glass/ceramic/metal airpath. I agree current battery tech is not that great for portables,maybe something that runs on butane like the hammer/wispr/iolite but with a pure airpath ,is in the future,who knows.. Until we have have medical standards set by devices like the Volcano/Crafty/Mighty i bet we wont see much in improving on the purity of concepts.

Last edited:

Dutch-Mic

So with these limiting factors in mind, it becomes more personal preference.

What size do you prefer?
What battery life do you want? (Effects size)
What performance do you want? (Effects size and battery life).

I would love to see more small battery powered portables, with a pure (and cleanable!) air/vapor path as @Abysmal Vapor mentioned, that are suited for dosages max 0.05. The Fury 2 and Flowermate Cap comes close, but I read about stinky silicon, units that emitted robot fart smells and the airpath isn't cleanable.
My hope was that the Davinci Miqro would fill the battery powered microdosing niche, but sadly the only thing that is truly micro is the unit itself and not the ovensize.

So in other words, I'm waiting for a battery powered pocketable vaporizer with no chance of robot fart/silicon smell, small oven, a cleanable vapor/airpath and - if possible - a cleanable heating element.

By the way, the Xmax Ace comes quite close. The airpath is cleanable (but too narrow to clean it easily), but the oven is huge! There's also silicon in the vaporpath. @PPN maybe the next iteration will solve those issues? No pressure, but my hope is on your company lol!

Last edited:

GoldenBud

as the years move forward, you can see the improvement in glass long stems/cooling dimples stems. take the Tafee Bowle for an example, long stem (some metal in this case) . more cooling. probably abit less coughing by the inhaler. I'm thinking about something like stem that you can adjust its length. like a ss stem for vaporizers you can adjust - if you're outside it will be short, when you land home you can adjust it for being longer. "Modular SS316 stem" .

another thing I was discussing with a friend. a vape with built-in "Carbon Filter" . I have some friend which is barely vape because he hates the coughings (was recommended for him stopping milk too ofc, hehe, long story if you are familier with my "Ask FC" other posts here lately)

I know that the effects are based with these carbons, as the thc/cbd need to get to the bbb of the brain etc' .... but still .... wild idea?

If so why do I still get VAS?
because it was the best year so far in portable section. TP80 then TM then FW7 then Bowle ..... with the food comes the appetite
(damnit, i really need these vapes ....)

Last edited:

west-elec

We are finally seeing the golden age of portables. We have all been waiting impatiently for the tech and designs to catch up with what is needed for a great portable, and that time has finally come, hooray!! about time world. But does that mean this is end game, definitely not, far from it.
I guess when the vacuum cleaner first came out there was a heap of different designs hitting the market all the time until the best became the standard. You could argue the volcano was that stage for vaporizer, since it did set the standard, but history will probably look on it as an early model that had its day. I don't think even desktops have reached anything like end game so portables still have a way to go. I had completely given up on portables to satisfy until I got the TM, now also have the FW7, TB and newest toy Neo. 4 very good devices I could only have dreamed about before- golden age! But each could and I'm sure will be upgraded or die out and be superseded, good as they are.
Agree with @Abysmal Vapor I'd also love to see a portable built in butane glass vape like an elev8r with balls and stem and torch all in one. But maybe our dreams are just beyond practicality, so end game is a mirage and VAS rules all.

jardri

Vapor Dreams
I can think of a few portable vapes meeting that criteria and delivering monstruous clouds:

Vapcap + induction heater: Not much to say about, pure metal airpath no strange elements

Vaponic: Crack pipe at its finest, finnicky but delivers

Stempod with Ga20 SS coil: All SS and glass airpath, powerful, good taste (not excellent though) and with 3x1860 it can last days without charging

Haze Square Pro: Gone but not forgotten, Isolated airpath with ceramic and metal, excellent in everything when working properly. My unit has given me so many good times and still does... when i have time to clean that b**ch

Da Vinci Ascent, Xmas Ace, Flowermate Cap and so many others are so close to achieving this, maybe in this year we can see a vape that rules them all. Silicone is a PITA but i have to admit that my Xmas Ace unit had the best cured silicone I have seen, no taste no odor no strange feelings!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
People are still raving about the oldest portables on the market, so as far as "end game" I'd have to say, no. The thing is dry herb portables aren't just competing with themselves anymore, now people in legal states can purchase oil cartridges with incredible efficiency, battery life, and discretion (and even flavor) - as much as most of this forum despises them, they're the actual market leader.

Second of all, I bet for 99% of vaporizer users, a basic Solo kit is still good enough to be "end game" for them. Most people who are open to the idea of vaporizing simply don't have the same impossible to please standards as this board does.

Also, ignorance IS bliss. That's why the ones with the most vapes tend to have the worst VAS. There's something to be said about simply being happy with what you already have. I vaped for years on a volcano before I ever considered needing another vaporizer. New members join this forum and have a larger fleet of devices after their first year here, than many long term advocates.

Now for the real truth bomb that people don't want to hear:
VAS comes from unsatisfying vapor.

People that are thrilled with their current vaporizers aren't going around buying every new market release. They simply aren't. Most modern VAS is just camouflage for people with high tolerance, hoping to find a magic bullet of a vaporizer that will prevent them from taking a tolerance break. I also don't feel that large vape collections help the frequently questioned efficacy of vaporizing compared to combustion, in general. Ive shared some of the finest vaporizers ever made, with a good number of people; and quite frankly, I'm still amazed at how unconvincing even the very "best" have been to outsiders.

arb

Semi shaved ape
People are still raving about the oldest portables on the market, so as far as "end game" I'd have to say, no. The thing is dry herb portables aren't just competing with themselves anymore, now people in legal states can purchase oil cartridges with incredible efficiency, battery life, and discretion (and even flavor) - as much as most of this forum despises them, they're the actual market leader.

Second of all, I bet for 99% of vaporizer users, a basic Solo kit is still good enough to be "end game" for them. Most people who are open to the idea of vaporizing simply don't have the same impossible to please standards as this board does.

Also, ignorance IS bliss. That's why the ones with the most vapes tend to have the worst VAS. There's something to be said about simply being happy with what you already have. I vaped for years on a volcano before I ever considered needing another vaporizer. New members join this forum and have a larger fleet of devices after their first year here, than many long term advocates.

People that are thrilled with their current vaporizers aren't going around buying every new market release. They simply aren't. Most modern VAS is just camouflage for people with high tolerance, hoping to find a magic bullet of a vaporizer that will prevent them from taking a tolerance break. I also don't feel that large vape collections help the frequently questioned efficacy of vaporizing compared to combustion, in general. Ive shared some of the finest vaporizers ever made, with a good number of people; and quite frankly, I'm still amazed at how unconvincing even the very "best" have been to outsiders.
How is Big Wang doing to convert the masses?
😆
Funny you say solo as I gave a couple to different clients and they both love them and hardly smoke at all.
Others have been less than impressed with my best so........yup.

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed

Seeking Higher Ground
Manufacturer
rosin carts are my new portable favorite. $80 for 1/2g still expensive but I like walking around with a dab in my pocket. I expect the next portable innovations to revolve around that platform. Imo the mighty, pax3, and dynavap are great portable flower vapes with no displacing technology on the horizon.

florduh

now people in legal states can purchase oil cartridges with incredible efficiency, battery life, and discretion (and even flavor) - as much as most of this forum despises them, they're the actual market leader.
100% correct. I remember just trying to convert normies to using a wax pen or Peak over carts. They bounced as soon as they saw me q-tipping the thing. Dabbers underestimate how fucking weird and dorky that looks to normal people. I'd wager that most of the newer users we're seeing in legal States are exclusively buying carts and edibles. If they buy flower, it's prerolled for combustion. They certainly aren't interested in mastering the best grind consistency and draw speed for the latest convection portable. That all sounds insane to them.

I'd say my VAS stemmed from a fear that someone, somewhere is experiencing a better hit than me. After acquiring a number of top tier portables, I've gotten over that fear. Now I need to pare down that collection significantly. Owning this many vapes is causing me stress.

Most modern VAS is just camouflage for people with high tolerance, hoping to find a magic bullet of a vaporizer that will prevent them from taking a tolerance break.

If someone truly needs a portable for on the go use and has high tolerance, consider concentrates. Less smell, more compact, and much faster. In many cases, concentrates are just a better tool for the job.

@invertedisdead this is one of the highest quality posts I've seen here.

jardri

Vapor Dreams
Very interesting thoughts @invertedisdead

In my experience, once you get a vape which vapor fulfills your needs VAS stops. I went through a phase of buying and collecting a lot of vapes but at the end I settled on a few vapes which fulfill my needs completely and havent bought a vape in more than a year.

About cartridges, I live in Spain and here it is impossible to find one of those. I would like to try one day but with weed being illegal over here it will be hard.

Problems with vapes here are that people expect the same high than with spliffs and that is impossible, but i have converted several friends with the vapcap which has been the most effective one. None of the more traditional battery portables have awaken any interest.

If we talk about desktops the Flowerpot is the best in opening people´s eyes about vaping, 2 hits and they are asking where to buy one, but once they find out about the price they all buy a vapcap and a dhgate bong.

PD: I am mastering building low cost induction heaters for my friends, i built my tenth a week ago and man that is really a game changer for all of them.

darbarikanada

l-ion battery technology recently got a nobel prize for its (positive) impact on society (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/09/science/nobel-prize-chemistry.html); vaporizers have reaped the benefits, and it's a good bet things will continue to improve in that department. still, it's already kind of a golden age for vaping now, with all the choice available. given the abundance of excellent devices in every category, it's hardly surprising that it feels like christmas for a lot of people with all the new toys out there.

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed

Seeking Higher Ground
Manufacturer
where there's flower there's rosin. The rosin masters here in the US have figured out how to get that rosin into a cartridge without chemicals. This plant-press-cart process should be able to be replicated anywhere.

rosin_1024x1024@2x.jpg

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I confess I have a plethora of vaporizers, but I rationalize it as my dedicated hobby. I have a brother who collects cars, another who collects Tiffany Lamp reproductions and pinball machines, and yet another brother who collects guns. Well, they all collect guns.

Additionally, I buy them to support the independent retailers and manufacturers around the world. I'm a God-damn Prince, is what I am. A stoned, blurry-eyed Prince.

Different Strokes for Different Folks.

Last edited:

Sn4Pz

I think that heaters are continuing to evolve, and are probably close to endgame... Just depends on what electronics are connected to them.

howie105

With the portable vapes we have today, can we really improve on them?.... The Model T was not the end game of the automobile because the underlying engineering and available materials changed. You see the same progression in electronics, optics and medicine. So I think if people chose to pursue vaporizers things will change and maybe improve.

Batteries can only hold so much energy for their size, the laws of physics (or chemistry) come in to play.... Take a look at the killer battery devices from a decade ago and look at the killer one's now. I don't see why material science will not continue to improve along with the rest of the contributory sciences associated with the battery field.

A heater element is a balance between size, energy usage and performance. I don't see some magic material for heaters turning up, which would drastically change this balance..... From the beginning to now electrical heaters have undergone massive changes in materials, controls construction ect. I don't see any reason for progress to stop unless we really screw the pooch somehow.

So with these limiting factors in mind, it becomes more personal preference.... Agreed.

What size do you prefer? What battery life do you want? (Effects size) What performance do you want? (Effects size and battery life).,,, I currently have two battery vapes in my portable rotation, what I want is a watch battery size power source that runs for years and is to be able to provide the same power and ease of use as my desktops. Is that too much to ask?

Any improvement would then have a negative effect on something else.... Change and trade-offs go hand in hand, this from an actual horse user.

I see the portables I own (TM, P80, and others) and think - I am not sure how many improvements can be made here, if any.... No one can see into the future so there no way to know what actually awaits us down the road.

Last edited:

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed

Seeking Higher Ground
Manufacturer
Imo the difference between the flowerpot and portables is convection versus conduction. The ability to instantly remove the heat from the material makes the vaping experience much more pleasant and efficient. All of the handhelds i've ever used worked on a principle of conduction. The Ghost was supposed to be the first convection handheld. So imo it's not all about miniaturizing the batteries. sorry for the rambling

west-elec

Imo the difference between the flowerpot and portables is convection versus conduction. The ability to instantly remove the heat from the material makes the vaping experience much more pleasant and efficient. All of the handhelds i've ever used worked on a principle of conduction. The Ghost was supposed to be the first convection handheld. So imo it's not all about miniaturizing the batteries. sorry for the rambling
Yes but the tech has caught up. The TB is pretty close to what you describe. Near instant on, top down heat, very powerful. 100% convection. Not a pocketable portable in current iteration, but that heater tech coupled to an 18650 in a true portable size...

florduh

where there's flower there's rosin. The rosin masters here in the US have figured out how to get that rosin into a cartridge without chemicals. This plant-press-cart process should be able to be replicated anywhere.

rosin_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Have you tried One Plant's rosin carts? In FL, I stopped buying pre-filled carts after an unsuccessful run with Blue River's rosin carts. But OP's live rosin is fantastic. At $60 I'm going to need to put an order together.

You're not gonna beat a good hash rosin cart for ultimate full spectrum portability. If that sort of thing is the future of cannabis consumption, I'd really like to see extractors selling the cart-able live rosin in syringes. Both to reduce waste and to allow users to use their preferred hardware.

howie105

Not to derail the discussion NewVape 710, but would you consider shining some light on the upcoming implementation of the PACT act from your perspective? Perhaps in another post? Thanks

howie105,
Reactions: k9luvr

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Ghost as the first convection handheld? Far from it! I'd suggest looking at the portable section here, there are many pure convection on demand portables with instant or near instant heat up... Since you sell one of the top tier convection desktops, I think it would behoove you to be aware of where the portable technology actually stands now (like Pax and Mighty are super weak compared to Tinymight, Splinter/Milaana, TetraX/P80, Tafée Bowle, and many others)

Top Bottom