• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Grasshopper AC Adapter Kit (and 18650)

Midnight Toker

That is not a drug, it’s a plant.....
@maxvapor710 have international orders shipped yet?

My order is #230357. It was fully paid on the 11th May, yet I’ve not received any shipping confirmation?

@Midnight Toker they are resuming today, you should see your tracking number today or tomorrow I would expect.

I feel your pain man. I fully paid on May 12, 2020, exactly 2 months ago to the day...and I'm in the US. Plus was told just this past Monday that a shipping notice was forthcoming but I am still waiting for it. Hope there are no problems and that everyone at MaxVapor is good.

Maybe tomorrow will be a brighter day for us both. Lol having some Mango Kush in my Mighty and being thankful for that has taken the edge off so I think I'll go enjoy the rest of my morning. :nod:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Still not any news... is somebody knows what happens with internationals orders? maybe cause that F* Covid situation... I know it's hitting the USA hardly. Same issue than you @Razshiro but I payed shipping later than you, the june 15 I believe.

Is there still some threading issues or is it fixed now?

MoltenTiger

Still not any news... is somebody knows what happens with internationals orders? maybe cause that F* Covid situation... I know it's hitting the USA hardly. Same issue than you @Razshiro but I payed shipping later than you, the june 15 I believe.

Is there still some threading issues or is it fixed now?
I got a UPS tracking number via email in the last 24 hours. Just a label by the looks so far
Label Created
07/14/2020 - 12:30 P.M.
United States

Previously I got a USPS number, since then they have updated the design and I guess decided to use a better service.

So far it sounds like the new slotted adapter is a proper universal threaded design, and should go on much easier (especially if the adapter is placed onto the back-end before the body as that allows the slot to be open on one side for cable clip clearance).

I'm really looking forward to getting it, the io is definitely depleting my batteries even further. Some are pretty poor now.
Really love the io, and with 18650s, Mains power and potentially USB-C it's going to be an end game set up

lazylathe

Almost there...
@maxvapor710 @maxvapor710 @maxvapor710

Emailed your company 3 to 4 times now and asked just as many times on this forum about international pre-orders and have had zero replies...
Last I heard was more than a month ago that I needed to pay for shipping to complete my purchase and then total radio silence on here and through email.

June 15 was the last reply about having to pay shipping.

What is going on as I see lots of people have their adapters and modified parts and have working units in their hands.

Some communication would be great.
Thanks!!

Midnight Toker

That is not a drug, it’s a plant.....
@Midnight Toker they are resuming today, you should see your tracking number today or tomorrow I would expect.

@maxvapor710 Please update those of us who are still waiting on pre-orders to be shipped. On July 6 you told me shipping had resumed and that I should be getting a tracking number in the next day or so but 16 days later and I still have yet to receive anything. Your reply to me was actually the last time you posted to this thread. Are you ok? Is there a problem with the adapters? What's going on please?

lazylathe

Almost there...
@maxvapor710

No replies through the forum and no replies to email questions, requested by YOU for us to send and find out the status of our orders.

Seems like all we get is total radio silence from you and your company.

If there is an issue, please let us know what is going on and how it affects shipping out this product.

There are quite a few of us on here and most likely more through email asking you for updates.

Was seriously thinking about upgrading to the Maxvapor controller but this show has put me off the purchase...

MoltenTiger

I got a UPS tracking number via email in the last 24 hours. Just a label by the looks so far
I got another email 5 days after, with yet another tracking number. This consignment has already made it to Aus and through customs in just 3 days, with a 'scheduled delivery' of next thursday 30th reported the whole time. Heaps better than USPS, but not sure what's going on with the shipment and store notifications via email - I've had 7 requests to review my recent purchases on their site so far, maybe that option should be toggled off

Baron23

Not sure what is up with them lately. I have always gotten very immediate responses to CS emails prior but lately I have had to ping once or twice to get a response.

With the virus on the rise again in FL, no telling what they are going thru.

Not making their excuses for them, just seems to me that @maxvapor710 has really been on the ball in the past (and for a long time) and there does seem to be some degree of recent change.

Last edited:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Not making their excuses for them, just seems to me that @maxvapor710 has really been on the ball in the past (and for a long time) and there does seem to be some degree of recent change.
Yes, that's why I'm not so much worry... although I would be pleased to put one of my GH in a hardcore vaping rodeo!

SpaceCowboy

Got my tracking today, looked for a way to edit my above comment but couldn't find one.

Hope everything's good on your end @maxvapor710, with how active you have been here and the recent radio silence, I'm sure some are worried something's happened to you.

On_Weed

The replacement to my v1 adapter with threading issues finally is moving through USPS! Thanks @maxvapor710!

Have there been any developments on a recommended power brick that will support the hopper io?

MoltenTiger

Just picked up the adapter kit.

It's awesome. Havent had much of a chance to test it, but fired up a legacy from the PSU and a battery and it rips.

The battery sled doesn't fit my 18650s as they are flat tops so I had to bridge the connection to get it working.

About to pop into work to grab a 2.5mm barrel terminal to test out USB-C power delivery via 65W battery bank.

So far this is showing to be a very good upgrade for the hoppers

MoltenTiger

Ran out of edit.

I've done a tiny bit more tinkering. No luck on the USB-C front. It behaves like the io with the included mains power supply.
It gets power and lights up for a second before conking out and powering off.
I'll have to get a 12V10A mains PSU soon.

I should make it clear that so far all I have for portable USB-C power delivery is 12V3A, so 36W and nine shy of the legacy.
There's also lossage through the 12V transformer, and you can feel that it gets warm.

I would expect to be able to power it with certain USB-C laptop charger bricks, which can offer 12V5A, but that won't power the io.

Luckily, 18650's can power the io. So far I've just tried an LG HG2 which is a good quality battery nicely suited for this. Unfortunately the battery sled needs modification to accept flat postive-end cells.
I found a big copper staple from a cardboard box which fits nicely, but I didn't bring it with me tonight, and using other things is a bit dodgy as it's hard to make contact with the central uninsulated battery terminal and the pin it is supposed to connect to (hence the staple forming a D being an easy solution, which I might just solder in place).

Most interestingly, using the legacy back end to bridge the battery connection causes the same clicking noise that the hopper does. Funnily enough I guess it's a poor connection somewhere causing that sound by copping a lot of current. Micro arcing of some sort. I saw a tiny puff and got that funny electronic stank from the battery sled after a bit, and the GH clip got warm, it definitely needs a proper solution.

The blue resin power adapter enclosure is actually really nice, I like the look and feel, which is a cloudy semi translucent matte finish and structurely nicely reinforced and sturdy.
The green sleeving looks great and I'm also happy with it, I imagine every option will look better in person too, the green and black cable is super sharp in person.

I can't quite say the same about the battery sled, it has polycarb/acrilic panneling, but the edges of the surround of the 18650 bay are super thin and flimsy. This top piece should probably just cover the connector and SMD components.

The slotted adapter is the shit, quite happy that it's a real thing. Makes it nice and easy to swap hopper bodies and back-ends, but takes a few goes to get used to it, at first it's a bit of a puzzle with so much happening, but the instructions and the kit itself are intuitive and easy to follow.

The 'battery PCB' for the hopper body is nifty. Straight forward and works well. Punched out discs for the ends are quite neat, perhaps a couple of gold pogo pins would do this power transmission a little better, I noticed the solder positive end is prone to a bit of wear and marking, but it'll do the job just fine. The negative end is a gold pad on the PCB disc, I was thinking this disc should have a flat edge to help feed the cable if the slot is near or under the clip (rotationally dependant on the back-end and paired adapter, and I got two slotted adapters in my kit meaning I can avoid clip clearance with at least one).
But now I've swapped back and forth a few times, maybe four, I think it's a damn fine revision for release and I'm really happy with it and being free for choice of power is so great!

1. Place empty adapter onto back-end
2. Push 'battery PCB' into adapter cavity and then place the cable into the slot
3. Attach barrel
4. ...
5. Profit

I hope everyone gets equipped ASAP.

As anything Hopper, this was very much worth the wait

marduk

daydreamer
Luckily, 18650's can power the io. So far I've just tried an LG HG2 which is a good quality battery nicely suited for this. Unfortunately the battery sled needs modification to accept flat postive-end cells.
I found a big copper staple from a cardboard box which fits nicely, but I didn't bring it with me tonight, and using other things is a bit dodgy as it's hard to make contact with the central uninsulated battery terminal and the pin it is supposed to connect to (hence the staple forming a D being an easy solution, which I might just solder in place).

So the battery sled is made for button-top batteries? I'm curious why this choice was made, considering that the vast majority of batteries suitable for this application are unprotected flat top batteries.

MoltenTiger

So the battery sled is made for button-top batteries? I'm curious why this choice was made, considering that the vast majority of batteries suitable for this application are unprotected flat top batteries.
It's just one of those things that happen when outsourcing parts.

This is basically a side-project, and it's received an awesome development considering.

However this is the cost of rapid prototype-is-retail-item delivery. Even geniuses make mistakes, this one is at least super easy to fix

A pair of needle nose pliars would have it squeezing cells in no time

fogbank

This is not my experience, unless I'm confused on which batteries are button top and which batteries are flat top. My battery sled works with Sony VTC5A and Samsung INR18650-32E batteries. I believe that both of these are flat top batteries. I have one other 18650 battery that came with a flashlight that clearly has a button on the positive end, so I can compare that to the Samsung and Sony batteries.

EDIT: I just tried my second battery sled and it also worked with the Sony VTC5A flat top battery.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

This is not my experience, unless I'm confused on which batteries are button top and which batteries are flat top. My battery sled works with Sony VTC5A and Samsung INR18650-32E batteries. I believe that both of these are flat top batteries. I have one other 18650 battery that came with a flashlight that clearly has a button on the positive end, so I can compare that to the Samsung and Sony batteries.
It could be just that the positive pin is too far recessed in its plastic casing with my sled. Plastic protrudes further than metal, hence flat tops aren't going to make contact.

I might also have a different TH component sled that is meant for button cells

Baron23

The battery sled doesn't fit my 18650s as they are flat tops so I had to bridge the connection to get it working.
Here is the deal...you probably have a mis-made battery sled.

First battery sled I received just didn't work. Just wouldn't light up (there are very visible LEDs on the board) and would not power my GH.

So, @maxvapor710 sent me another one (I have absolutely no issues with their CS).

This one wouldn't work either.

They asked me to try to power it via a wall wart and the USB port on the sled. Well, fuck me...the both lit up like Christmas trees and powered my GH just fine.

So, I take very close look and see that the sled seems a bit too large for my flat top unprotected 18650's and the positive terminal of the battery was not touching the contact. I get out a screw driver and pry up the negative spring type contact to try to tighten up the battery fit. Didn't do anything and now I'm looking very closely at the positive terminal.

Unlike the negative terminal which was the spring clip type, the positive terminal was a flat piece of metal with a small protruding dimple that fits down in a slot in the plastic of the sled. The dimple did not protrude toward the battery beyond the plane of plastic terminal holder.

There was absolutely no fucking way a flat top battery would work in this thing. And indeed, I have two protected batteries from my G43 and on these the positive terminal does stick up and they fit and powered up the sleds perfectly.

I reported this to @maxvapor710 CS and got the reply that both terminals in the sled are to be the spring type like the negative terminals on my sled and that their supplier fucked it up and shipped some in one configuration and some in the other.

They will send me another in a week or so after they build some more boards, etc.

Long way of saying that if you are fine having to use protected 18650's, then you are set. But the device was not intended to use these by design and I feel confident, that if you want, Max will send you a corrected one after they sort through the good ones from the bad.

The part I don't get is that the company told me that they do indeed test every sled before sending out. Well, maybe with USB power or protected batteries (which would make no sense as its not intended to use this style of battery) because the two I have would definitely NOT work with a flat top.

Cheers

MoltenTiger

Here is the deal...you probably have a mis-made battery sled.

First battery sled I received just didn't work. Just wouldn't light up (there are very visible LEDs on the board) and would not power my GH.

So, @maxvapor710 sent me another one (I have absolutely no issues with their CS).

This one wouldn't work either.

They asked me to try to power it via a wall wart and the USB port on the sled. Well, fuck me...the both lit up like Christmas trees and powered my GH just fine.

So, I take very close look and see that the sled seems a bit too large for my flat top unprotected 18650's and the positive terminal of the battery was not touching the contact. I get out a screw driver and pry up the negative spring type contact to try to tighten up the battery fit. Didn't do anything and now I'm looking very closely at the positive terminal.

Unlike the negative terminal which was the spring clip type, the positive terminal was a flat piece of metal with a small protruding dimple that fits down in a slot in the plastic of the sled. The dimple did not protrude toward the battery beyond the plane of plastic terminal holder.

There was absolutely no fucking way a flat top battery would work in this thing. And indeed, I have two protected batteries from my G43 and on these the positive terminal does stick up and they fit and powered up the sleds perfectly.

I reported this to @maxvapor710 CS and got the reply that both terminals in the sled are to be the spring type like the negative terminals on my sled and that their supplier fucked it up and shipped some in one configuration and some in the other.

They will send me another in a week or so after they build some more boards, etc.

Long way of saying that if you are fine having to use protected 18650's, then you are set. But the device was not intended to use these by design and I feel confident, that if you want, Max will send you a corrected one after they sort through the good ones from the bad.

The part I don't get is that the company told me that they do indeed test every sled before sending out. Well, maybe with USB power or protected batteries (which would make no sense as its not intended to use this style of battery) because the two I have would definitely NOT work with a flat top.

Cheers
Perfectly described, thanks dude :) thats exactly what's going on. Getting stuff from China atm has been a bit of a mixed bag. Like I bought 5 of a specific type of dual colour push button from Alibaba last month and finally it arrives, and two are the wrong voltage and only single colour, and this is paying way inflated USD prices milking the business costs.
It's a funny game.

I'm just going to solder half of this copper staple to the positive pin and it'll be golden.

But I have also thought that, it's kind of nice using this sled with unprotected buttonless cells - you can safely store the battery in the sled completely disconnected and effectively with a layer of insulation, then when the time comes you can push in a tab which then acts like a switch.

Using an extended cell would make it harder to remove/replace too, but might be worthwhile, but the circuit looks legit to me at the quick glance I had.

Due to not having that piece of copper handy I gave up using the sled for now, and found that the usual batteries might even out perform the HG2s. But I obviously need to correct the jimmied set up..

One of the things I had on hand which worked well in a funny way, was a 3.5mm jack shoved between the postive terminals - this makes the trademark hopper sound in the earbuds!
I quickly gave up because there was no volume control and for my drivers sake.

fogbank

But I have also thought that, it's kind of nice using this sled with unprotected buttonless cells - you can safely store the battery in the sled completely disconnected and effectively with a layer of insulation, then when the time comes you can push in a tab which then acts like a switch.

That's interesting. I already feel that I won't use the battery sled often because there is no effective switch on it. When I insert the battery the LEDs light up, and only removing the battery will make them go off. Removing the battery from my sleds is tricky because it's a tight fit. I already managed to damage one of my 18650 cells while removing it (plastic casing was slightly ripped around the positive edge of the battery).

I don't understand this part. Connecting my battery sled to USB power without a battery definitely caused the LEDs to light up, but I could not power a Hopper that way. If it was possible to power a Hopper via the battery sled and USB power wouldn't that mean that we don't need the power brick? And wouldn't that indicate that a Hopper can be powered by USB alone, since there is no battery? Unless there are capacitors on the battery sled that would store enough charge to power the Hopper temporarily...?

lazylathe

Almost there...
@maxvapor710

Hope all is well with you and your company!
It has almost been a month since you said updated parts are being shipped.
A lot of us have requested updates about our orders, about paying for shipping and just what has happened since July 6, your last post here.

No response from you here on the forum as well as no response through email either.

An update would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom