• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Gnome or Vaponic/VapoCane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey FC. I'm not usually one for creating topics to ask questions - I usually like to do the research myself. But today I'm a little stuck.

You see, I really want an all glass airpath flame based vaporizer. It will be used most of the time attached to a 14mm or 18mm GonG waterpipe, so much so that I'm not even really interested in getting a mouthpiece.

I'm a firm believer in having at least one vape around for end times. In that respect, my OG VG has always been waiting patiently for it's time to come. Thing is, I never really use the VG under normal useage conditions (ie: pre-Rapture). I think I'll get a lot more regular use out of a GonG vape.

So pre-ramble aside, what do you fine folks think? Which is the superior vaporizer? I'd love to hear from anyone who owns/has tried either or both.

Thanks!

edit: and just for fun I added some videos of both. It's hard to compare based on these videos alone obviously, because it's clear that stinac has mad technique.

Vapocane

Gnome

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
GnOme is the most versatile of the three(if you have WPA) so I recommend it over the others. The vapocane restricts you to a water pipe/glass jointed piece and the vaponic to "dry" use(possible water pipe use with silicone tubing?). I no longer have the vapocane(broken) but I'll try and get some vids of the other two up so you can decide between them.

Edit: Read over that this will be used in jointed pieces. I still think not having a mouthpiece is a drawback.

GnOme is the most versatile of the three(if you have WPA) so I recommend it over the others. The vapocane restricts you to a water pipe/glass jointed piece and the vaponic to "dry" use(possible water pipe use with silicone tubing?). I no longer have the vapocane(broken) but I'll try and get some vids of the other two up so you can decide between them.

Edit: Read over that this will be used in jointed pieces. I still think not having a mouthpiece is a drawback.
I'm going to get both the 14 and 18mm if I go with the Gnome. I could always use the 14mm as a mouthpiece, ala Solo GonG stems.

kingofnull,

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
I'm going to get both the 14 and 18mm if I go with the Gnome. I could always use the 14mm as a mouthpiece, ala Solo GonG stems.

The GnOme will come with a mouthpiece when you order. The Water pipe adapters are purchased separately.

VaporEyes,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I haven't used my Vapocane since I got the gn0me. They function similarly using the retained heat method, but to me that gn0me is just a better mousetrap.

:peace:

Stu,
The GnOme will come with a mouthpiece when you order. The Water pipe adapters are purchased separately.
You can order the Gnome sans mouthpiece also.

I haven't used my Vapocane since I got the gn0me. They function similarly using the retained heat method, but to me that gn0me is just a better mousetrap.

:peace:
I'm leaning a little more towards the Gnome too. I love how it's blown custom to order. Think they'd be able to mess with the size proportions a little bit? I'd like it as short as they can go.

kingofnull,

OO

Technical Skeptical
The Gnome has theoretical advantages.
Higher surface area for heating the incoming air, more uniform path thickness, and the ability to be used with a standard mouthpiece.

I like the glass vapobowl for this role if it makes any difference, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a gnome either.

OO,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
The Gnome has theoretical advantages.
Higher surface area for heating the incoming air, more uniform path thickness, and the ability to be used with a standard mouthpiece.

I like the glass vapobowl for this role if it makes any difference, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a gnome either.

I hear the glass vapobowl has a problem with the metal top though, it starts to flake.

The Gn0me is sturdier than the Cane, and can be used dry as well. The Cane can be used dry if you have a sherlock glass piece.

The Cane has a regular bowl, with screen and everything. The Slider does not, and the Cone has a glass bowl but it is easy for bits to fall through because its not really a mesh screen.

I got the Gn0me because IMO its more pratical to use, and i prefer the slider because it heats faster, and it's better dry.
I bypass the need to stir and have a bowl by rolling the outer tube with my pinky finger while i'm hitting it and heating the tube at the same time.

I don't have the regular angled bong adapter which is how many people use their gn0mes, so that might be closer to the Vapocane's MO.

As i'm writing this, i'm realizing that you need to specify which gn0me you want because if we compare gn0me cone with angled adapter, the main difference between them is the lack of metal screen in the cone and the fact that the Vapocane heats faster.
If you compare with the slider, the Vapocane is easier and more pratical to use than the Gn0me.

Taste should be better in the gn0mes due to no metal screens (with the disadvantage of having flying bits if you grind it too fine.), but only by a hair.
Sturdiness as well, i hear some Vapocanes bended a bit due to the glass being too hot.

vorrange,

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
The Cane has a regular bowl, with screen and everything. The Slider does not, and the Cone has a glass bowl but it is easy for bits to fall through because its not really a mesh screen.

I have screens installed in both the GnOme Cone and WPA. I don't find the taste to be altered any by this.

VaporEyes,
Reactions: joekar

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I have screens installed in both the GnOme Cone and WPA. I don't find the taste to be altered any by this.

Just because you don't find that, doesn't mean it does not happen. ;) One other thing to consider is that some have a better sense of taste and smell than others. And i did mention that the difference is marginal.

vorrange,

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
Just because you don't find that, doesn't mean it does not happen. ;) One other thing to consider is that some have a better sense of taste and smell than others. And i did mention that the difference is marginal.

I'd like to think my senses are rather acute(not that I've had any testing done). With other vapes I can detect metallic tastes. Perhaps the torching of the screens(oxidation?) before use eliminated it. :shrug:

VaporEyes,

OO

Technical Skeptical
I hear the glass vapobowl has a problem with the metal top though, it starts to flake.

The Gn0me is sturdier than the Cane, and can be used dry as well. The Cane can be used dry if you have a sherlock glass piece.

I got the Gn0me because IMO its more pratical to use, and i prefer the slider because it heats faster, and it's better dry.
I bypass the need to stir and have a bowl by rolling the outer tube with my pinky finger while i'm hitting it and heating the tube at the same time.

I don't have the regular angled bong adapter which is how many people use their gn0mes, so that might be closer to the Vapocane's MO.

As i'm writing this, i'm realizing that you need to specify which gn0me you want because if we compare gn0me cone with angled adapter, the main difference between them is the lack of metal screen in the cone and the fact that the Vapocane heats faster.
If you compare with the slider, the Vapocane is easier and more pratical to use than the Gn0me.

Taste should be better in the gn0mes due to no metal screens (with the disadvantage of having flying bits if you grind it too fine.), but only by a hair.
Sturdiness as well, i hear some Vapocanes bended a bit due to the glass being too hot.

I have read about flaking, and never experienced it, and still have doubts about the accuracy of the statements, pictures were never posted, and I feel that it is unlikely for something of that nature to occur.

The reason I like the vapobowl, is that the metal portion is stronger than glass, and that metal conducts heat better than glass does.

I don't buy the whole tasting metal thing, I think it's placebo effect for two reasons, one is that the vapor pressures of the metal do not differ substantially from 25*C to 200*C (room temp to vaping temp), and I don't taste metal from inhaling air around a metal spoon or fork. So I truly believe that a placebo is to blame.

If you want to, you can start a thread on the topic and I would be glad to contribute data from the web to support what I have said.

OO,
I personally can't taste a metal screen in an otherwise all glass airpath either, but I do know folks who say they can.

kingofnull,

OO

Technical Skeptical
I personally can't taste a metal screen in an otherwise all glass airpath either, but I do know folks who say they can.
It's something for another thread I think.

I would also recommend considering the SV if you are into revapeing ABV, It is similar to the HA with respect to how thoroughly it heats the incoming air, and it's ability to extract nearly every last drop, though not quite on par with the HA.

Another consideration for the same category of vapes would be the Hammer, it does a great job of being a rapture style vape.

OO,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I have read about flaking, and never experienced it, and still have doubts about the accuracy of the statements, pictures were never posted, and I feel that it is unlikely for something of that nature to occur.

The reason I like the vapobowl, is that the metal portion is stronger than glass, and that metal conducts heat better than glass does.

I don't buy the whole tasting metal thing, I think it's placebo effect for two reasons, one is that the vapor pressures of the metal do not differ substantially from 25*C to 200*C (room temp to vaping temp), and I don't taste metal from inhaling air around a metal spoon or fork. So I truly believe that a placebo is to blame.

If you want to, you can start a thread on the topic and I would be glad to contribute data from the web to support what I have said.

I'm not entirely sure in what i'm about to say but, i think it was OhTheAgony who mentioned me the flaking issue, and i value is opinion, so i just moved on to other things. Perhaps they fixed that issue, i really have no idea.

But, won't you feel metal if you put it in your mouth? It seems there is more to taste than temperature, perhaps moisture? I do know i notice a difference, so, it might be placebo still, but placebo or not, is something to consider, albeit marginally, and i emphasize marginaly.

We are not talking about glass vs silicone which is much more noticeable. Anyways, it seems we are going to much off topic over something that is subject to each person.

Since kingofnull, who is the OP, does not feel the difference, that is all we need to know when helping him choose between these two.

So, kingofnull, it seems you are more into the gn0me. I think Calen can accomodate some modifications, he is a really nice guy and a smaller gn0me shouldn't be difficult to do, just cut the tubes a little more right? :) They are make-to-order.
However, maybe it will make it too harsh if you use it dry or maybe too hot to grab? Just something to keep in mind, perhaps Calen already tried it.

vorrange,
It's something for another thread I think.

I would also recommend considering the SV if you are into revapeing ABV, It is similar to the HA with respect to how thoroughly it heats the incoming air, and it's ability to extract nearly every last drop, though not quite on par with the HA.

Another consideration for the same category of vapes would be the Hammer, it does a great job of being a rapture style vape.
SV - Supreme?

kingofnull,

OO

Technical Skeptical
I'm not entirely sure in what i'm about to say but, i think it was OhTheAgony who mentioned me the flaking issue, and i value is opinion, so i just moved on to other things. Perhaps they fixed that issue, i really have no idea.

But, won't you feel metal if you put it in your mouth? It seems there is more to taste than temperature, perhaps moisture? I do know i notice a difference, so, it might be placebo still, but placebo or not, is something to consider, albeit marginally, and i emphasize marginaly.

We are not talking about glass vs silicone which is much more noticeable. Anyways, it seems we are going to much off topic over something that is subject to each person.

Since kingofnull, who is the OP, does not feel the difference, that is all we need to know when helping him choose between these two.

So, kingofnull, it seems you are more into the gn0me. I think Calen can accomodate some modifications, he is a really nice guy and a smaller gn0me shouldn't be difficult to do, just cut the tubes a little more right? :) They are make-to-order.
However, maybe it will make it too harsh if you use it dry or maybe too hot to grab? Just something to keep in mind, perhaps Calen already tried it.
If the OP doesn't mind, I will address it here, you are not putting the heating element or the screen in your mouth, which nullifies the you can taste metal in your mouth argument (not sure what receptors are responsible for the "metal taste" probably is related to electrochemical properties due to similar tastes from different metals which are electrochemically unstable).

That being said, the vapor pressure of the metal is not varying to an appreciable degree when heated to the temperatures we are using, so if you can't taste the metal by inhaling air over it at room temp, you should not be able to taste it at a vaping temp (either way the vapor pressure is so low as to completely disregard the thought IMHO). That means that there should be an unappreciable amount of metal making its way into your mouth.

FWIW, I boiled borosilicate glass yesterday, and it has a very noticeable smell, I would call it what people would associate with metallic. (Possibly due to Iron impurities (look at the thickest cross section of borosilicate glass and you will see a green color due to Iron impurities))
Either way, it was way beyond the temps vaporists are using.

SV - Supreme?
Yes.

OO,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
If the OP doesn't mind, I will address it here, you are not putting the heating element or the screen in your mouth, which nullifies the you can taste metal in your mouth argument (not sure what receptors are responsible for the "metal taste" probably is related to electrochemical properties due to similar tastes from different metals which are electrochemically unstable).

That being said, the vapor pressure of the metal is not varying to an appreciable degree when heated to the temperatures we are using, so if you can't taste the metal by inhaling air over it at room temp, you should not be able to taste it at a vaping temp (either way the vapor pressure is so low as to completely disregard the thought IMHO). That means that there should be an unappreciable amount of metal making its way into your mouth.

FWIW, I boiled borosilicate glass yesterday, and it has a very noticeable smell, I would call it what people would associate with metallic. (Possibly due to Iron impurities (look at the thickest cross section of borosilicate glass and you will see a green color due to Iron impurities))
Either way, it was way beyond the temps vaporists are using.

Yes.

That still doesn't explain why i notice a hint of metal.. you can keep explaining me why you don't notice, but i do, again, marginally. And like i said, could it be that vapor pressure or temperature are not what causes someone to taste metal? We don't know, but it's not important really.

And boiling glass is different than heating it to 1300C, but that is a nice thing to now, i never knew what glass looked green when it was too thick. :tup:

If you were looking at the gn0mes/vapocane because of the superior taste, i believe Stu mentioned in a long gone thread that he prefered the taste in the gn0me over the sv, but i could be wrong.

vorrange,

Edward Hyde

i am really intrested to buy a lighter based portable and i prefere glass so i was checking the vaponic and gn0me wich look best option for dry use...but i cant choose between these two...anyone has them both and can compare (give advantages and disatvantages)between these two?

Edward Hyde,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
i am really intrested to buy a lighter based portable and i prefere glass so i was checking the vaponic and gn0me wich look best option for dry use...but i cant choose between these two...anyone has them both and can compare (give advantages and disatvantages)between these two?

Come on man.. the thread is a giant comparison and exactly what you asked. :shrug:

vorrange,
Reactions: OO

Edward Hyde

Come on man.. the thread is a giant comparison and exactly what you asked. :shrug:

yep.but everyoneis talking about water and confusing me...fromwhat i understood gn0me is the best for dry use...is there some fc discountfor gn0me?

Edward Hyde,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
yep.but everyoneis talking about water and confusing me...fromwhat i understood gn0me is the best for dry use...is there some fc discountfor gn0me?

There is the gn0me slider, the gn0me cone and the gn0me cone with the water piece adapter.

The cone+wpa is better for water, the slider is better when using dry, IMO.

If you want to use with water and dry.. get the slider since it's cheapest. or get the cone with the mouthpiece and the wpa.

I chose the slider first and only on my second order did i get the cone. I still don't have a wpa though. Depends on your budget too.

vorrange,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom