Discontinued Gn0me - lighter based vaporizers

axakal

great vid, gammy. you seem to have a lighter with a quite big flame. does the size of the flame influence the performance. i have a rather small, regular pocket lighter with a single jet flame and i feel. like it takes ages before the gn0me gets properly hot.
is my conclusion actually right, that one has to inhale slowly to achieve good results?
thanks

axakal,

Nycdeisel

Depends on the amount of heat. I can count more then a handful of occasions that I have combusted in the Gnome by pulling too slow(when i had heated it too much, and if i had applied less heat and pulled the same speed i probably wouldnt have combusted).

Nycdeisel,

OO

Technical Skeptical
great vid, gammy. you seem to have a lighter with a quite big flame. does the size of the flame influence the performance. i have a rather small, regular pocket lighter with a single jet flame and i feel. like it takes ages before the gn0me gets properly hot.
is my conclusion actually right, that one has to inhale slowly to achieve good results?
thanks
your conclusion is correct.
because of how equilibrium works. Q (heat input) is proportional to the change in temperature.
because the glass contains less heat because of the smaller flame input, it's temperature change is smaller. because the temperature change is smaller, the temperature gradient is smaller.
temperature gradient is proportional to heat flux density (the amount of heat transferred through a unit area per unit time), heat is transferred more slowly, in effect, heating the air more slowly. which means that as the air is drawn in, the time variable hasn't changed (assuming it has been drawn in with the same velocity), because the time is the same, and so is the area, then what you have done is decreased the amount of heat being transferred. so the air is cooler.

long story short, your conclusion was correct.

OO,

Gammy

Gammy's getting upset!
thanks

Yeah the one I got is a culinary torch, which is great cause right after vaping I can make myself some crème brulée with it :) I tried a Ronson jetlighter once and I couldn't get the gn0me hot enough to vape properly.

Gammy,

axakal

well, this means, that i need a new lighter :) is everybody else also using a culinary torch or are good clouds also possible with different kinds of lighters? i can't allways have a culinary torch in my pocket :). how are the results of a tripple jet flame?

axakal,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
well, this means, that i need a new lighter :) is everybody else also using a culinary torch or are good clouds also possible with different kinds of lighters? i can't allways have a culinary torch in my pocket :). how are the results of a tripple jet flame?

I have both kinds of lighters, and i used both. Of course the bigger one will be faster to heat, but just to be sure, how do you hit it? Because, according to Calen, the hotter part of the flame in a torch lighter is where the two parts of the flame meet.

vorrange,

Goodlife101

Living The Good Life
okay today I am officially making the video but here is what I have to say for my initial impressions. Both of these vaporizers are awesome! I must say the GonG gn0me is a bit more finicky when it comes to keeping it at the sweet spot IMO. The slider seems easier for me to evenly heat and get consistent rips off of. That being said I have been able to masterfully vape a couple bowls out of both. I feel sometimes with the slider you have to load smaller bowls because if they are too big they vape un-evenly due to half of the herb being closer to the heating element and receiving hotter air. The GonG gn0me definitely works better for the bigger loads when you want to take fattys but as I said it is harder for me to keep it at the sweet spot.

Goodlife101,
Reactions: Gammy

Gammy

Gammy's getting upset!
For big loads the Gong is unbeatable, especially if you have the WPA. I'm ripping this thing so badassly it's unbelievable! With the Gong you have to get to know your torch and eventually you'll know exactly how long to "cook" with it. I count the seconds in my head. With my torch it's usually 12 for the classic and 20 for the Gong for a perfect one-hit toast.

Gammy,

Goodlife101

Living The Good Life
Yeah I am still deciding on what kind of flame i like better. I use a propane torch at home so i can crank it up and heat it within 10-15 seconds but it doesnt seem to heat the glass as evenly as when i keep the flame lower.

Goodlife101,

Goodlife101

Living The Good Life
okay so the best way is with a medium size flame for me.. If the flame is too big I just tend to over heat or unevenly heat i guess, either way it turns out freckled with places of sub combustion but with the smaller flame it takes about 5-10 more seconds but i get a much nicer, more even vape. Also idk how many have noticed this but instead of clearnig my bub by pulling out the whole GonG gn0me i only pull of the heat exchanger from the WPA. I noticed when I leave the whole thing together when I put it back in the the bub via the WPA i see lots of vapor coming out of the top of the heat xchanger like there is some conduction vapor that is being wasted. So by pulling off the heat xchanger it cools the bowl so no conduction can take place (I know the loss is minimal but that is just a me thing :tup:) The gn0mes are amazing I broke my Iphone so a vid will have to wait a little but I will make a really nice HD vid when i dig out my camcorder.

Goodlife101,

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
Just ordered my GnOme cone and WPA. Need a good glass, flame powered unit to replace my vapocane. Can't wait to try it out. :)

VaporEyes,

weedemon

enthusiast
hehe readign this thread has made me wanna bust out my Gong gn0me and have some fun! :) thx guys!

*edit yep thanks guys!! :D

I have this vape for camping trips, and power outages! but it's started my morning off very nicely once again :p I had forgot about this badboy becasue it's been tucked away in the back of my cabinet.. :p

weedemon,
Reactions: vorrange

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Would a butane cigar torch work well with the gong gnome? Or would I need bigger?
Personally, I'd go bigger.
35frin.jpg

It would probably take too long, and may be too difficult to maintain optimal temps

:peace:

Pcpvapors

Lol damn torch is gonna be bigger than the water pipe! The gong gnome is already taller!

I see the bed bath and beyond torch getting love on the dab forums....anybody got 2 cents?

Pcpvapors,

Nycdeisel

Hey I like small waterpipes.. anyway, get you a nice torch. like a Vector. you will be set:) the vector has the largest flame i have seen though.. of course theres many larger ones, which you will want for the gnome. an oversized torch lighter would be nice for the classic slider gnome but for the GonG you will want an even bigger flame.

Nycdeisel,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I use one really small lighter and a bigger one.

http://m.dealextreme.com/p/honest-adjustable-flame-butane-jet-torch-lighter-19321

http://m.dealextreme.com/p/honest-1300-c-butane-jet-lighter-11868

One was to use at home and the other when i needed to take the gn0me somewhere.

Of course, this was to use with the slider. To use with the cone i only used the bigger one.

That said, i agree with Stu and NycDeisel, a bigger torch will give a faster session and with a bit more control of the temps but i find the Slider is much more forgiving in this aspect.

The Cone, due to its higher mass, will keep temps longer and take longer to change temperature, hence the higher need for a big torch.

vorrange,

stinac

I found this useful for storing AVB and cleaning glass after session. Wickiepipe has free shipping.

Kind ash cache

stinac,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I never got around to post about it, but I got myself a Slider some time ago.

While it works great I must admit that I didn't find it all that enjoyable to use, mainly because of the lack of an actual bowl.

What can I say, I just like to stir my loads in between hits :shrug:

& I'm not a big fan of getting shit in my mouth every time I load up again after stirring, so it just didn't work all that well for me unfortunately.

But I started talking to Calen about fixing those problems I had with it, & just recently I heard back from him with some very promising news. Some of you may or may not have gotten the same email, not sure.
Something new should be coming soon though, and I suspect it'll be pretty awesome :brow:

Top Bottom