Discontinued Gn0me - lighter based vaporizers

DBA

Thanks for your reply Cotelio, sorry to hear that your gn0me broke :( Hope I'll get a reply to my email at some point, it's been about 5 weeks since I started trying to get in touch!

DBA,

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
Well... I got my gn0me slider... been a good run.... :cry:

http://imgur.com/HKWJ6V7

( I cant figure out how to insert the image. x.x )

Do you think it might still be safe to use...?

you put brackets around the image link

HKWJ6V7.jpg

vaporonly,

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
I turned my propane torch up too hot or held it the wrong way or something x.x

Guess I'll have to get an actual butane torch.

Are you rotating the heat exchanger while applying the flame? This reduces the chance of uneven heat distribution and eventual breakage.

VaporEyes,

Cotelio

Are you rotating the heat exchanger while applying the flame? This reduces the chance of uneven heat distribution and eventual breakage.

But it's so hard to rotate and hold together at the same time and the mouthpiece is just loose enough to be at kind of an angle and sort of rattle around while I'm trying to rotate @_@ And I can't just heat up the heat exchanger first then put it together because the bowl part is in the heat exchanger D:

Cotelio,

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
But it's so hard to rotate and hold together at the same time and the mouthpiece is just loose enough to be at kind of an angle and sort of rattle around while I'm trying to rotate @_@ And I can't just heat up the heat exchanger first then put it together because the bowl part is in the heat exchanger D:

Would you happen to have a sliver of silicone tubing about your home? That could be used as a shim in between the two parts to prevent the "rattle" and allow you to more easily rotate it.

VaporEyes,

Cotelio

Thing is, hasn't gn0me himself posted somewhere in this thread about using the propane torch himself with them? I mean, I assume it's like, turned allll the way down to just having that 1" flame...

Ah well. I dun goofed, it is what it is I guess.

Cotelio,

DBA

I have just received an email from Calen from Gn0me.

Update regarding not getting replies from Gn0me:

Calen has injured his wrist and therefore has not been able to handle the email as efficiently as he would have liked. It does appear to be in good shape again, though. He has informed me, apologized, and offered me a discount to the boot due to the waiting time! I figured I'd post that here in case anyone else is waiting for a reply.

DBA,

Cotelio

I have just received an email from Calen from Gn0me.

Update regarding not getting replies from Gn0me:

Calen has injured his wrist and therefore has not been able to handle the email as efficiently as he would have liked. It does appear to be in good shape again, though. He has informed me, apologized, and offered me a discount to the boot due to the waiting time! I figured I'd post that here in case anyone else is waiting for a reply.

Oh yeah! He told me that too, I cant believe I didn't think to post so here >:

Cotelio,

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
i'm glad people are starting to hear from him. hopefully his wrist heals fully and the gnomes keep flowing. i too was one of the people waiting to hear back from him.

wonder if there is any news on that updated piece, the one in the pics a few pages back

vaporonly,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

DBA

Managed to get my order all sorted, as expected I was very pleased with the personal service and approach. He wants to make everyone happy, e-mailed a bit back and forward to get the order sorted and it's being made as we speak! Also, my earlier statement about Google checkout only for overseas costumers isn't true anymore, they have just added a new cart/system and it all works smoothly and allows paypal payments. Very excited to get this! Also, this may possibly be a bit off-topic but is there much difference between those butane lighters? I've not used them before and wouldn't know.

Thanks,

~DBA

DBA,

OO

Technical Skeptical
is there much difference between those butane lighters? I've not used them before and wouldn't know.

Thanks,

~DBA
Could you be more specific with "those". The larger creme brulee torches use fuel faster and therefore transfer more heat than the micro torches, which theoretically burn at the same temp, but produce less heat due to smaller flames/less fuel.

OO,

OO

Technical Skeptical
My bad, "those" appear to be the "Jetlite" type of lighters (http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr20/mycigars/reviews/IMG_2363.jpg) vs the torch ones (http://www.vaposhop.nl/torch_lighters/vapman_lighter/).

I do believe in essence you did get what I tried to get across, though. What would you (and all you other people! :D) recommend for use with the Gn0me Slider?
I would call both of those "micro torches". A creme brulee torch is bigger.

The less heat input, the longer it takes to get to working temp, but the more control you get. With a creme brulee you get much more heat input, and therefore quicker heat up times, but you can also overdo it more easily.

OO,

Hoops

Looks like the Gnome Glass website was updated. I just put the waterpipe adapter and heat exchanger on order.

Hoops,

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Looks like the Gnome Glass website was updated. I just put the waterpipe adapter and heat exchanger on order.

Would you get the same exact items by ordering the cone, for ten dollars cheaper?

SSVUN~YAH,

Hoops

Would you get the same exact items by ordering the cone, for ten dollars cheaper?

I won't be using it without water, so I just went for the 19mm GonG. I would normally make sure I got the best product for the price, but for $60 I figured....ahh, just do it.

I also sent Calen a msg to jump on FC when he has a moment and give us all an update on what his plans are for the future, etc.

Edit: The waterpipe adapter and HE are now listed as a set where previously you ordered them separately. Not sure that answered your question.

Hoops,

Cotelio

The cone is the heat exchanger and a dry mouthpiece, not a waterpipe adapter.

I imagine you could use the waterpipe adapter as a dry mouthpiece on the other hand, though.

Personally, I'd rather have the trident bubbler mentioned (much) earlier in the thread to use with a Classic... though the funnel still looks awesome and I want.

Edit: the trident diffuser bubbler
Yepper - that's a new design I've been developing for the last month or so - I'm calling it the Trident diffuser (or Tri-diff!) bubbler, because the diffuser design is a tube with 3 lobes, each lobe having individual, small diffusion slits. The design is strong, since it's on the same tubing I build the classic vapes out of (1.5mm thick, vs 1mm for most slide tubes) and the lobes also function as a stop to prevent very long slides from knocking a tooth out of the diffuser. Retail price is going to be $80 for these bubblers, which will accept classic vapes and regular non-GonG slides, and I'll make 'em in a few different colors including the green-blue fade that JRR shows above :D

Pic!
Tri-diff-S.jpg

And a video of J.R.R. flipping us off with his butane torch and then using it.
Ok so I did a quick vid close up of the gn0me trident bubbler here.

And a foggy shot here ;)

Cotelio,
Reactions: Bananiq

SSVUN~YAH

I may be lost but if the cone is made on a 14mm male joint why wouldn't you just get a 9 dollar 14mm female to 18mm female connector, and/or an 18 to 14 reducer, instead of the 30 dollar connector or spending ten more on the funnel. I don't see what the extra 21 or 10 depending how you purchase, is buying you???

SSVUN~YAH,

Cotelio

I may be lost but if the cone is made on a 14mm male joint why wouldn't you just get a 9 dollar 14mm female to 18mm female connector, and/or an 18 to 14 reducer, instead of the 30 dollar connector or spending ten more on the funnel. I don't see what the extra 21 or 10 depending how you purchase, is buying you???

A place to actually put the herbs.

Cotelio,

SSVUN~YAH

So are you saying you can't use the cone on a waterpipe without the waterpipe attachment from GnOme???

SSVUN~YAH,

Cotelio

So are you saying you can't use the cone on a waterpipe without the waterpipe attachment from GnOme???
Yes. The waterpipe adapter/mouthpiece is the bowl for the Cone and the Funnel heat exchangers.

Sure, you could try to use the heat exchanger with a standard bowl, but good luck getting the air to actually flow through it instead of just coming in around the sides.

If you want or need to be cheap, get the Slider.

The mouthpiece is the same width as most slide bowls, so it's compatible with most non-GonG waterpipes, which are themselves generally cheaper than ground glass pieces.

Cotelio,
Top Bottom