Discontinued Glass Symphony XLR

Alexis

Yeah, all the rage for maybe 3 whole months! You know when I first joined FC I used to think the guys with the longest signature had the most experience, but the truth is some members here turn over vapes so fast, I can no longer put too much weight on their opinions! If I had a dollar for every time a member I respected posted about the "best vape ever" and next week had it in the classifieds or moved on to something else, I'd have enough to buy every vape on the market! If you listen to these people too closely you end up feeling like every vape is your arsenal is inferior, when these are the same people who convinced you to buy it in the first place, because it was the best! :lmao:

I start wondering do some people here even like vaporizing? Have you noticed some members just never stop looking for a "harder hitting" vape? Where is the line drawn? TBH I think there are more than a few closet combusters on this forum! :lol:

And I mean no disrespect to anybody! ONE LOVE! These are just my OPINIONS :leaf:
Only time will tell! No reason why something more revolutionary can't come along. I understand where you are coming from on all points I do.
Vapes are improving that is no question, the competition is only fiercing up. Just fun and exciting really. Besides the finance and argue for better use of money, it's all pretty harmless really.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Only time will tell! No reason why something more revolutionary can't come along. I understand where you are coming from on all points I do.
Vapes are improving that is no question, the competition is only fiercing up. Just fun and exciting really. Besides the finance and argue for more use for money, it's all pretty harmless really.

I love all glass! But I also love temperature control! I just think it would be a deal breaker for me, to have a unit as pure as all glass for flavor, but have temperature control so far off that accurate dosing is difficult. I'm not a set it and forget it type of vaper at all, I surf the whole frequency depending on desired effects. I want to know I'm going to get 350F vapor, if it has to be set to 950 I have know idea what I'm getting. :(

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
I love all glass! But I also love temperature control! I just think it would be a deal breaker for me, to have a unit as pure as all glass for flavor, but have temperature control so far off that accurate dosing is difficult. I'm not a set it and forget it type of vaper at all, I surf the whole frequency depending on desired effects. I want to know I'm going to get 350F vapor, if it has to be set to 950 I have know idea what I'm getting. :(
I think it's like e-nails where you need a thermometer with a thermocouple to figure out what temp it's actually at rather than just the coil/heater.

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
@lazylathe @Zow237 Thanks for the amazing posts. :clap:

Has anyone tried the GS with hash a/o concentrates?
This vape is more for flowers. I have shoved a concentrate pad up the male joint near the heater. Like lazylathe said, it breaks it up into a few hits. Flavor is crazy since it is more drawn out. Coil heaters are so much better.

I am also thinking of having some super fine mesh screens made for hash.

I've also tried putting concentrates down the beads- it was a mess. I do wonder if very small beads would work.

Fuck it, that beast is really huge!!
Yeah it is!
Not the worst name IMHO. I don't get the right connotation with "Symphony"
Each sphere is playing a part in the symphony.
Powered by heat cartridge combined with the glass balls as thermal mass?
Yep.
What's the time of upheating?
10 min to start and a few min between hits to recover.
I'm guessing it tastes better too b/c of the glass ?
I'd say it was the room temp bowl and fast extraction time.

Anyway, @jojo monkey must be quite excited, for some time gone I imagine, knowing what you are sitting on! I can only imagine your growing sense of excitement as this takes off now.

Very well done bro, wishing you every success Im sure there will be a ton if it. I will sure hope to get involved myself when it is right.
Thanks, Alexis! I was so stressed sending out the 1st one. The second was not quite as bad... maybe it gets less and less each time?

That said, as far as the Herbo Ti and Flowerpot are concerned, Im sure they will still do very well and will appeal to many over the Symphony. The same for any other vaporizer as well.

Yeah, I'm not claiming to be the "one ring" or the "highlander". It is a glass vape for those that like glass and convection.

Looks big and clunky, fragile, vapor performance in the videos looks no better than my Vapcap, less versatile with concentrates than other PID powered competition, temperature control nowhere even close to accurate. Enlighten me? (see avatar)
Hey, that's my baby!

It ain't for everyone that is for sure. Different ways to skin a cat. I subscribe to the idea that the terpenes are important. The aim of this vape was to leave the herb intact before and after a hit. To do that with glass and get it all in seconds it need to be this big. (the evo is like an inch shorter?) So even if a hit looks the same, they aren't. Conduction flashes very fast and gives a great visual feedback - i can't argue with that.

As far as control goes, here is something out of the DIY thread. With the symphony I was able to find a temp and breath combo where I could just melt the resin on a single calyx. I could do this over and over again as long as I waited 2-3 min between hits.

eMh0QOS.jpg

I have versions of this vape that measures the temp inside the glass path and on the outside glass. Both can hold steady to a decimal. For general usage I cannot tell the difference between the super accurate ones and a symphony once they are both ON for a bit. Here is a clip of the internal temp before and after a hit (the heater is a little lower wattage).

Just to frame things a bit, here are some comparisons from the inside the heater probe vs the airpath glass probe near the hotspot:

700F = 445F
800F = 502F
900F = 581F

The glass on the outside is even cooler. You could measure the glass on the outside if you wanted to see if it is stable on the inside, but this has even more lag than inside the heater.

Lastly, I should mention that there can be a tiny bit of feedback from taking the temps inside the heater. When you take a hit the heater can drop 1-2F. This is showing you that the thermal equilibrium is off. It is also making the heater fire even harder to recover. When it recovers and settles back that is about 1/2 the time for the insides to catch up based on my internal readings.

why doesn't the herb burst into flames? what is the air temp when it reaches the bud?
Hey!!! Because the probe is inside the SS cartridge and that is inside of glass. The air path glass is not getting that hot. (see above)

I'm not a set it and forget it type of vaper at all, I surf the whole frequency depending on desired effects. I want to know I'm going to get 350F vapor, if it has to be set to 950 I have know idea what I'm getting.
You can set the upper limit with the pid. The exact temp of the herb is a fuzzy thing in a convection vape. The velocity and timing of your breath play a major role. You do get to watch it cook so there is extra feedback.

Thanks everyone!!!
:rockon:

lazylathe

Almost there...
@invertedisdead

I do not have a clear and concise answer for you. I hate saying this vape is better than that vape etc...
What i go by is what it does to me in my home.
And the GS gets me medicated every time i use it during the day, none of my other vapes can do that.
I am also a function over form type of person and love the look of all that hot lab glass! LOL!

What vapes actually measure the temp of your herb? Bets i can think of is a nail type dish but then it is also off from the actual temp. Even the Mighty measure bowl temp and not herb temp.
I say this because i now go by what my ABV looks like, type of effect i am after and type of clouds or flavor i want. I messed around with different temps and have settled on an arbitrary temp that works so well.

As for concentrates it will do them with amazing flavor but very light clouds. Hits like a hammer for some reason... This was designed to be a flower vape and it does that extremely well.

As a seasoned vaporist, you will be able to handle the GS with ease and get whatever type of vapor you want.
It is not for everyone and i will not recommend it to people who are afraid of glass, breaking glass or just afraid of a mass of unprotected hot glass.
I am very careful when vaping and have yet to break anything...

As @jojo monkey explained above, better than i did... LOL!

EDIT:

VAS can be real hard to deal with at times as well...

EDIT2:

I do not wait between hits... The break is only as long as it takes to empty and reload...LOL!
And no difference to me. There is so much mass my puny breath will not drop it that much.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@lazylathe @Zow237 Thanks for the amazing posts. :clap:

This vape is more for flowers. I have shoved a concentrate pad up the male joint near the heater. Like lazylathe said, it breaks it up into a few hits. Flavor is crazy since it is more drawn out. Coil heaters are so much better.

I am also thinking of having some super fine mesh screens made for hash.

I've also tried putting concentrates down the beads- it was a mess. I do wonder if very small beads would work.

Yeah it is!

Each sphere is playing a part in the symphony.

10 min to start and a few min between hits to recover.
I'd say it was the room temp bowl and fast extraction time.

Thanks, Alexis! I was so stressed sending out the 1st one. The second was not quite as bad... maybe it gets less and less each time?

Yeah, I'm not claiming to be the "one ring" or the "highlander". It is a glass vape for those that like glass and convection.

Hey, that's my baby!

It ain't for everyone that is for sure. Different ways to skin a cat. I subscribe to the idea that the terpenes are important. The aim of this vape was to leave the herb intact before and after a hit. To do that with glass and get it all in seconds it need to be this big. (the evo is like an inch shorter?) So even if a hit looks the same, they aren't. Conduction flashes very fast and gives a great visual feedback - i can't argue with that.

As far as control goes, here is something out of the DIY thread. With the symphony I was able to find a temp and breath combo where I could just melt the resin on a single calyx. I could do this over and over again as long as I waited 2-3 min between hits.

eMh0QOS.jpg

I have versions of this vape that measures the temp inside the glass path and on the outside glass. Both can hold steady to a decimal. For general usage I cannot tell the difference between the super accurate ones and a symphony once they are both ON for a bit. Here is a clip of the internal temp before and after a hit (the heater is a little lower wattage).

Just to frame things a bit, here are some comparisons from the inside the heater probe vs the airpath glass probe near the hotspot:

700F = 445F
800F = 502F
900F = 581F

The glass on the outside is even cooler. You could measure the glass on the outside if you wanted to see if it is stable on the inside, but this has even more lag than inside the heater.

Lastly, I should mention that there can be a tiny bit of feedback from taking the temps inside the heater. When you take a hit the heater can drop 1-2F. This is showing you that the thermal equilibrium is off. It is also making the heater fire even harder to recover. When it recovers and settles back that is about 1/2 the time for the insides to catch up based on my internal readings.

Hey!!! Because the probe is inside the SS cartridge and that is inside of glass. The air path glass is not getting that hot. (see above)

You can set the upper limit with the pid. The exact temp of the herb is a fuzzy thing in a convection vape. The velocity and timing of your breath play a major role. You do get to watch it cook so there is extra feedback.

Thanks everyone!!!
:rockon:

That photo is actually really interesting man! Thanks for sharing that. I totally agree terpenes are incredibly important in regards to the entourage effect! And you handled that like a champ - I really hope I didn't come off the wrong way- I realize it can be extremely difficult to be objective on here, especially through text. You all have been great and very civil in your responses :cheers: cheers all.

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
I do not wait between hits... The break is only as long as it takes to empty and reload...LOL!
Me too. ;) You are right, there is plenty of heat. I am just trying to be accurate based on temp readings. No one spot really says it all.

That photo is actually really interesting man!
When said you liked to surf temps I thought of that pic. That is riding a single 5 second breath down to the stalk. The same was happening in ground herb - stalks would remain at the temp/velocity/time. The flavor was like a green hit of some blonde full melt bubble without the mess in my kitchen.

:cheers: Cheers to questions. I don't mind answering.

Do you ever plan on switching the heater to ceramic? I just always think it gives a better taste.
I agree. The heater is SS and that is inside of glass. So it is ceramic! No part of the heater is directly in the air path.

Zow237

After a few days of use.... My favorite aspect is the vapor quality, its super smooth where as when I would hit the fp or the herbo ti it could be quite hot. Still more testing but I am loving this with micro loads to .2 and I'm sure if you put .5 in it then youd be out for the count haha. The effects though :ko:

lazylathe

Almost there...
For the past few days i have jotted some thoughts down and started to think about the review and how to proceed. I then notice the screen i had removed from My RooR bowl on top of my Flower Pot controller...
This screen sits on top of the dimples. @Alexis @The Beagle And gets the herb closer to the heat source. It worked wonders when used with my XL heater. Try it!
Since adding the screen tonight my thoughts have changed considerably!
With the herb higher in the bowl i am lowering the temps a lot! So far i am down to 910 from 950+.

The amazing science i witness before my eyes is crazy...
The herb browns more evenly and the flavor seems to be more preserved for the whole hit.
Only downside is that i have to reduce my load size now so i can finish it in one breath!

I do not know what magic is in those glass balls to affect me every time i sit down in front of it!

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
For the past few days i have jotted some thoughts down and started to think about the review and how to proceed. I then notice the screen i had removed from My RooR bowl on top of my Flower Pot controller...
This screen sits on top of the dimples. @Alexis @The Beagle And gets the herb closer to the heat source. It worked wonders when used with my XL heater. Try it!
With the herb higher in the bowl i am lowering the temps a lot! So far i am down to 910 from 950+.

The herb browns more evenly and the flavor seems to be more preserved for the whole hit.
Only downside is that i have to reduce my load size now so i can finish it in one breath!

I do not know what magic is in those glass balls to affect me every time i sit down in front of it!

Ha ha that's awesome, I love Weird Al.

Zow237

what screens??? I was thinking that the herb needed to be a lil closer in the bowls that were provided?

Zow237,

lazylathe

Almost there...
what screens??? I was thinking that the herb needed to be a lil closer in the bowls that were provided?

My own screen i made for my RooR bowl.
Try and rig a screen up higher in your bowl and see what happens!

I would invert another screen to mirror the already placed screen.
Then place another screen on top to hold the herb, that should raise it enough!

Prolusio

Payment sent; looks like I'll be the next member to join this wonderful Symphony! I think I'll sit over here with the woodwinds, jazz it up bit..

_bleeding_gums__murphy_by_aplapi-d8dn9g4.png

(Pictured above: Prolusio after using the GS XLR)

I'm super excited to try out the Glass Symphony. I'm definitely a function over form kind of guy, so the mad scientist look of the device really appeals to me.. Don't really care how big it is! If it produces the hits I'm seeing I'll find a spot for it :)

I really like the draws/vapour I'm seeing in the vids posted here. Obviously its kind of hard to say just from vids.. but it seems to have a very unique draw/hit/energy transfer... The air seems to be hot as soon as it hits the herb; instant vapour and browning. Almost hammers it flat! If it can do that while being as smooth as some members are reporting.. oh boy:o :whoa:

The construction is very interesting as well. Seems like there is lots of potential for adjustments and modifications. If something breaks I can just reorder that single relatively inexpensive part, or maybe find an equivalent replacement locally. Also there's the possibility that the GS functionality could increase over time.. @jojo monkey could release a new attachment or come up with a new design for a part and bam; new Glass Symphony.

And my final reason for jumping on board is I just really like supporting the creators here on FC.. It's honestly inspiring seeing regular jojos like us contribute to the vaping world/community to such an extent; while also generating real sales and providing a product. I've found lately that all my favourite vapes are ones I've discovered through FC..

It makes sense to me that people who are passionate about vaping/cannabis like I am, and are making/using the device themselves, would design a good product. They don't need to hire a research team to find what people are looking for.. They can just make the device they've always wanted and share it with the rest of us.:2c:

Anyway, thanks to @lazylathe and @Zow237 for all your feedback and for being the first to take the plunge! Your feedback videos were very informative.:nod::tup:

lazylathe

Almost there...
George Bush Kush in the Glass Symphony!
Thought it should vape with someone from it's native land for a change!

Very good tasting strain, it was pretty cheap and i was not expecting great things.
The GS brings out the strong fruity flavors perfectly!

So far it has been on all day and it is not 5:30pm and the top is pretty hot, not burning hot but uncomfortable after 30 seconds. The air intake tube is just mildly warmish.
It has been running at 900F all day and satisfying the crap out of me!

Also had some 10 week Girl Scout Cookies earlier that was extremely potent!

This vape has the power to turn me off for minutes at a time and just stare blankly, unable to do anything! It's awesome! Just like George Bush! LOL!

I think running at 50F lower in temp and raising the herb has helped tremendously for my needs.
Extreme flavor and crazy clouds and effects!
I need to figure out how to mount my camera to take a video off the vaporization process.
It's fascinating to watch the herb compress, then expand and open like a flower and then it starts to brown and it's done.
I don't need to watch the vapor stream to know when a hit is done anymore, just watch the herb!

I love this interactive way of vaping!

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
10 week Girl Scout Cookies
That sounds soooo good. I'm a fan of long flowering plants and cookies.

This vape has the power to turn me off for minutes at a time and just stare blankly, unable to do anything!
That is so nice to read after you've had it a couple weeks. LOL me too sometimes.

added a cotton ball in the intake?
I checked what I have in mine and it is like 1/20 of a puff. If I squish it down it is the size of a pea. Just a little is nice to keep dust out.

After a few days of use.... My favorite aspect is the vapor quality
Very nice! :rockon:

I have been running lower temps no problem! I think I even got to like 780 and getting the same results as far as clouds :). lower temps fuck me up more than higher for some reason
Sounds like you are finding a nice sweet spot. I think if you go too high you are boiling things off before they can get to you. Sounds like you are following the flavor.

Has anyone tried it without grinding? Hand tearing, chunks, or a nug?

Thanks.
I have. I've found ground herb performs best and yields the most flavor. There is so much heat that when you give it lots of surface it will use it. Give it a goofy shape and it will cook in a goofy way.

@Prolusio Thanks so much. I hope to it arrives safe and we get to hear what you think. I need to respond to a few things in your post and will save that for my next to keep things clean.

Guys .. Cant's wait the 220v or 12v unit ! :drool:
:tup: Thanks, Joaon! Do you have both controllers? If you could only have one?

I thought I'd post a pic of some bowls. @Zow237 has been wanting to try the screen in different positions. (lazylathe seems like he has his stuff where he likes with the roor bowl)

qtLqNpL.jpg

A: symphony bowl + 1" screen w/ rolled edge (not pictured) + glass nail ... this can get you a bit closer and some reclaim.
B: symphony bowl + standard screen + some beads out of the handle + 1" screen w/ rolled edge... I was able to try a couple different levels and found this level was not too shabby. If you make the screen right you can turn it upside down and nothing moves. I blow out the bottom to clear. If you push too hard on the screen while stirring it can move.
C: off the shelf 24/40 to 19/22 enlarging adapter + 1" screen w/ rolled edge + glass nail .... this was my 1st bowl - the downside is the length of the nail and the bowl are out of your control. Buy a few to pair 'em.
D: dirty symphony bowl + standard screen + ABV ... tamp the load FTW.
E: clean symphony bowl + standard screen
F: off the shelf 24/40 to 19/22 enlarging adapter + 1" rounded bowl screen... a screen can be placed at the bottom and after some use the resin will hold it there.
G: This was the prototype adapter. $$$

The off the shelf "24/40 to 19/22 enlarging adapter" can be found on amazon/ebay for less than $20 (again, the downside is that it can be an unknown length). The 1" rolled edge was made by rolling the screen over the edge of a coin. A US nickel is nice. I wash it in iso before use.

My stands have feet and a couple test holes.. a WIP ATM. I am thinking of posting in the DIY section because they are pretty easy. I am waiting on a bit for the holes. Speaking of stands, I am loving this one right now for holding the vape. The best feature is that it is one handed and nothing can stick. A wood stand requires the vape to be stuck in a hole and needs a second hand.

Top Bottom