GET BENT ---- A Fishing Thread

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I am off the deep end and need to pump the brakes!

I am about move a boat from Bradenton to Ft Walton beach in a couple of weeks and hope to throw a few flies along the way.
Then down to the Keys at the end of May, and Crested Butte/Red Rocks in June for some epic fly fishing on the Gunnison and Widespread MuthaFuckin Panic.

JCat

Accessory Maker
So looking forward to May 24 long weekend (when pickerel--or walleye in American--season opens here); very tired of the Winter and the snow. Still have 3'-4' of snow in my backyard :( whereas this time last year the snow was pretty much gone ... calling for another 4-6" next weekend though ... :lol:

3xFantasyChamp

Yoooo, there's a fishing thread on here!

I was somewhat obsessed with Bass fishing back in 2015. Learned a lot about it in general. That was the best year I ever had of fishing. Never had a scale on me but I'd guess my PB Bass was maybe 4lbs. Not really sure why my interest died off from 2015 to 2022.

Ended up going with a buddy this past weekend. Went to a lake and I forgot how much of fishing is mental. You can totally defeat yourself thinking you have no chance of hitting the real nice spots of the lake without a boat. I had to get off that peasant mindset lol.

Ended up tying on a Silver/Blue Kastmaster with a bucktail on it. My first few casts, I ended up catching a decent striper that was chilling right next to the bank/rocks. It felt so nice to feel that bite, set the hook and have that little fight. Ended up moving spots and caught a largemouth! It was pretty nice to not get skunked after years from not fishing.

Anyways, wanted to share some of my excitement haha. I can finally say that-- I'm back! Going on a trip out of state this weekend, but fully plan on fishing over the weekend with a buddy when I'm back.

Hope all you anglers have a great time catching giants this year! Or whichever type of fish you're in the hunt for!

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
My brother goes to Alaska a couple times a year to fish. He's up there now, and sent me this picture of a ling cod he caught.
033017-C8-D4-C7-47-D3-AD12-4-DEDAD41-C184.jpg

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
That is a helluva slab of meat right there!!

I am bummed for having to cancel my trip to the Keys... put the house for sale and am moving, so the Keys will have to wait but I'm hoping to still get down in the next 6 months- I love this place!

In lighter news, the new place has a neighborhood pond that is full of big bass, carp and brim!

hinglemccringleberry

So looking forward to May 24 long weekend (when pickerel--or walleye in American--season opens here); very tired of the Winter and the snow. Still have 3'-4' of snow in my backyard :( whereas this time last year the snow was pretty much gone ... calling for another 4-6" next weekend though ... :lol:
Can you bring about 8 million tons of that snow over here to California? It doesn't snow here anymore and we really need it.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
FINALLY hit up the neighborhood pond last night around 10pm, on my way to get gas. It was a damn feeding frenzy! Caught my first bass on the fly, and also my first bass in probably 25 years.

I only spent about 15 minutes and pulled in 3 smaller large-mouth, 1-2lbs each, and a sunfish.

Also just went out to RedRocks to see Widespread Panic, and on the way spent 4 days fishing the Gunnison in Crested Butte. We hit the Green Drake hatch PERFECTLY and pulled in about 30+ fish per person per day, mostly browns and all were caught on dry flies.

...I see lots more bass in my future. Some neighborhood kids were showing pictures of 7+lb bass and I want to tie up with one!

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I've not yet tried one of my wooly buggers yet, but I am sure they will SMASH it!

Last night was fishing a Cousin IT, will likely continue to throw it a little longer as I broke my heavy bass setup Friday night. I snapped my 6wt tip setting the hook on a ROCK!

Cant wait to get my 6wt back together to fish some heavy streamers.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Trip to Crested Butte to fish the Gunnisson was out of this world, a true bucket list trip for anyone who chases trout.
We pulled 50+ fish per person a day on our float trips, and just slightly less wading. It was a feeding frenzy, fished dry flies all week and was lucky enough to time the Green Drake hatch PERFECTLY! Widespread at Red Rocks was quite the finish to a spectacular trip.

Last week was opposite coast to Carolinas, I pulled in about 20 or so rainbows and one beautiful brown estimating to be 17-18".

Will be back in Colorado in a few weeks. I'll have limited time, but will take a 3wt and a click paw and will find some wild trout in the hills around Boulder. I fucking LOVE Colorado!

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Back to my happy place, Colorado here I come!

I'll be chasing trout on Boulder Creek in a couple weeks. I wont have much time, so I intend to stay close and test the waters between the Library and Boulder Canyon Trail.

It is going to be an early morning blitz, I will be back at the hotel room by 8-9am for mornings with my boys.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: Ramahs

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
This thread is slowly becoming a blog... anyone else been able to get out on the water at all? Fishing or otherwise?

I've not been out in weeks and it is pulling on my soul.

In a shocking fate of events, I won the raffle at my fly shop and landed with any Hardy Rod of my choice!
Kinda blown away as I don't fish much TOP end equipment. The rep, "Lucky you! Most people don't get their first Hardy until a grandparent dies!" Then hands me a catalogue and says I can pick anything they offer- these are $1000 fly rods!

I've been ruminating over the catalogue and yet to make a decision. I want to be sure I get something that either fills a void in my current lineup of rods, or replaces my aging 5wt. But definitely want to pick something I will get a lot of use with. [no need to consider anything above a 7wt, as I don't get to chase big fish with any frequency].

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
This thread is slowly becoming a blog... anyone else been able to get out on the water at all? Fishing or otherwise?

I've not been out in weeks and it is pulling on my soul.

In a shocking fate of events, I won the raffle at my fly shop and landed with any Hardy Rod of my choice!
Kinda blown away as I don't fish much TOP end equipment. The rep, "Lucky you! Most people don't get their first Hardy until a grandparent dies!" Then hands me a catalogue and says I can pick anything they offer- these are $1000 fly rods!

I've been ruminating over the catalogue and yet to make a decision. I want to be sure I get something that either fills a void in my current lineup of rods, or replaces my aging 5wt. But definitely want to pick something I will get a lot of use with. [no need to consider anything above a 7wt, as I don't get to chase big fish with any frequency].

Damn. Very nice win there. I haven't gotten out fishing this year at all yet. I've been spending most of my outdoor time when I have a day off work hiking mostly. But I need to get out and play around at the river soon.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I have still been at it! Bass fishing on the fly weekly, and just back from a killer Colorado trip- two nights of Billy Strings at Red Rocks, two days chasing trout.

Day one was complete muddy blow out, skunked with no action at all.
Day two only put 7 or 8 in the net but got my first Grand Slam with three trout species in one day: Brown, Rainbow and Cutbow.

Caught a few with my rod, but really had a ton of fun euro-nymphing in deep fast water with an 11' rod.

... heading south next - it is Tarpon time!

Tarpon.Dr_.%20Aaron%20Adams.jpg

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Only had about 3 hours to play and chase big fish, all I found was one bite and it was a baby/juvenile tarpon... Comically, did not even land it- it fought hard!

neighborhood pond is biting though... lost count of the bass last night and got one more today. I am getting better and better at reading still water and finding bass.

Slow down, and you see everything. I see every ripple, every fly that lands on the surface, every splash. I see every fish, even the smallest of tadpole. I see the movement under the water or a wake on the surface and am already re-placing the fly in the path. Wait. Wait. Small strip. Wait. Second strip and wait for the eat.

Now that I am seeing the bass, it is more an exercise of precision. One good cast. Re-casting disturbs much water, I try to avoid if possible, or strip in and then recast.

Lots of 2-3lb, but I am still looking for a lunker.

mephisto

Took a day off work last week and hit a local pond with the kayak. Lots of short strikes, but nothing caught. Water Temps have been lower than normal. Wanted to get out this morning for first bite but too many beers last night.....Action is picking up in the surf so I anticipate another sick day soon. Little blues are in, drum, rockfish every once and a while. Good to read others' reports.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Awesome you are getting out as well!

I am definitely a lucky one, I am getting on bass 3-4 days a week. Tonight I picked up two, but most nights are between 1-3 bass and a handful of big brim and sunfish.

My heart is really still trout fishing, I just don't get out as much for it.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I am definitely a lucky one, I am getting on bass 3-4 days a week. Tonight I picked up two, but most nights are between 1-3 bass and a handful of big brim and sunfish.
What are brim? Always thought bream was a southern term for a variety of big sunfish... (not the euro carp bream)

Bologna,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Bologna,
Top Bottom