• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

FuckCombustion Community Enail Project (Name TBD)

JCat

Accessory Maker
Can now also save/load profiles.

So you can auto-tune, which generates new PID values, then you can save for quick retrieval later :) (still need to add a "delete" to clear the profile ... but that's pretty minor :) )

profiles1.jpg
profiles2.jpg

JCat

Accessory Maker
Pretty quiet in here except for me .. lol.

Anyways ... here's another update. I've been working on the script editor this evening. Actually quite liking the way it's turning out. Pretty slick if I do say so myself!

You can drag and drop script steps around within containers as well as within the main container. And you can expand each step to edit it's individual properties.

Just need to put in the add/delete steps functionality in on the editor, then everything will essentially be complete! (meaning the whole application mobile and device)

Just to re-cap/summarize the features:

Device:
- ability to adjust temperature from home screen with dial.
- ability to quickly start/stop heater from home screen (push button)
- longer button press to start script from the main screen
- script mode
- can loop through scripts on OLED display to select active one
- settings screen on device to view network information and connect to WiFi networks (will likely add an AP mode link in here as well)
- >5 second button push to restart service on device
- >10 second button push to reboot device

Mobile
- ability to control temperatures with slider, presets, or popup dialog from main screen
- ability to save preset temperatures for mobile app home screen (5 of them)
- ability to launch and select scripts from home screen
- start/stop heater from home screen (so you can turn it on/off remotely ... that's all I ever turn off ... as once you switch the heater off in the Omron ... it's off)
- Settings:
-> Configure your 5 preset quick temps
-> Launch (and cancel) auto-tune (auto-tune notification on home screen as well)
-> Save/load PID settings (profiles) for quick changing of device profiles
- Scripts
-> ability to create scripts made up of the following steps:
* Loop
* Move Temperature
* Wait for Set Point
* Feedback (ie. icon on OLED, play audio, flashing LED)
* Timer
-> script editor provides an easy to use interface to create/modify these scripts (as opposed to editing the JSON directly :) )

scripteditor1.jpg
scripteditor2.jpg
scripteditor3.jpg

What's to come:
- Instructions
- Distribution image with NOOBS installer of custom Raspbian image for the FC Community E-Nail
- Access Point Mode
- Perhaps kits to build your own that would have all the parts, including prebuilt cases or at least face/rear plates so all complicated cutting will be done. Pretty sure this could be put together so all the wires just plug in pretty much. So could be assembled with basic tools (at least that would be the goal)

If anyone is interested in being early adopters, I might consider making a few of these ... just to get them out in the wild and some others beta testing and coming up with ideas.

add1noob

If anyone is interested in being early adopters, I might consider making a few of these ... just to get them out in the wild and some others beta testing and coming up with ideas.
@JCat I am very interested in testing one out how much does it cost to produce?

friedpiper

Always blazin' new trails..
Some nice work @JCat. You are definitely creating what looks like a good unit. If you can get over the Apple hurdle and figure out legal stuff (obviously something the Hex girls weren't good at), it's something you could charge good money for. Have you checked out the Blynk platform? It looks promising for remote IoT control.

Not to sound like a dick, but this doesn't seem like a cheap build, and certainly not any easier than copying the Hex. The Omron controller (which is also gawd awful ugly, just an opinion), RPi and misc. parts add up to quite a bit, plus the time you've got wrapped up into coding it, which is appreciated, don't get me wrong.

I know we haven't heard from @JigMelon in a while, but I like where he was headed before his thread got kinda hijacked. The new software version is stable, so I'm going to use it. Once another unit is built and running I will have more insight on a DIY "kit". This is just a side project, for me as well, so back to paying the bills..

JCat

Accessory Maker
Some nice work @JCat. You are definitely creating what looks like a good unit. If you can get over the Apple hurdle and figure out legal stuff (obviously something the Hex girls weren't good at), it's something you could charge good money for. Have you checked out the Blynk platform? It looks promising for remote IoT control.

Not to sound like a dick, but this doesn't seem like a cheap build, and certainly not any easier than copying the Hex. The Omron controller (which is also gawd awful ugly, just an opinion), RPi and misc. parts add up to quite a bit, plus the time you've got wrapped up into coding it, which is appreciated, don't get me wrong.

I know we haven't heard from @JigMelon in a while, but I like where he was headed before his thread got kinda hijacked. The new software version is stable, so I'm going to use it. Once another unit is built and running I will have more insight on a DIY "kit". This is just a side project, for me as well, so back to paying the bills..
It's not a cheap build. I have a couple hundred hours in the software I'm guessing! lol.

The intent wasn't a cheap build, the intent was to build a really high quality e-nail. The HexNail was never a finished product ... for instance I would never feel comfortable walking away from it for hours or a day without turning it off. I have no concerns of leaving mine in any state. I'll leave it sitting on all day with no concerns whatsoever of it ever going over.

All that being said ... like I said earlier in the thread ... if someone wants to pick up the torch, and can demonstrate to me a working PID algorithm that is stable and performs similarly in quality to the Omron one (not one that overshoots by 20 degrees+) then I'd be more than happy to write an interface of the software over to that one. Really it would be less than a day's work to convert all the code to run off a built-in PID controller or to talk to an Arduino one vs the RS-485 interface that communicates with the Omron (this is all isolated in it's own module so you simply write one other module that talks to the other PID with the same interface, and then it's a few lines of code to swap out.)

That being said ... I'm yet to see said algorithm. For $100CAD (that's $70USD) for the Omron, you are getting a lot. Yes it's big and clunky and not super pretty ... but damn it's accurate.

Earlier today I swapped out my v-rod, and then auto-tuned it which significantly improved the response (it changed the parameters quite a bit for the PID settings). I saved these under a VROD profile ... when I later started using my d-nail halo again I at first forgot to switch back, but immediately noticed on the first bowl that it was overshooting and not calibrated right ... I flipped over to the other screen and changed PID settings back to the Halo ones before even finishing the dab! I immediately noticed the change in performance! Really nice to be able to have accurate control at the touch of a button :)

I know exactly how to solve the "Apple issue" if I was to distribute it (or one can run it hosted somewhere such as the Pi itself in the device ... I talk about this briefly in the README on Github ...). I can build and distribute it no problem, but I am not doing so as a "free" product with my Enterprise license. If I did move forward with distributing these in kits (where literally all you would need would be a screwdriver to assemble) then I would of course distribute a copy of the IPA for iOS use with these kits.

The iOS issue is there for everyone. The HexNail girls never even bothered trying to address it ... from my understanding you had to run it in a browser!!!! ... Having it in an app where you can leverage mDNS, and other advanced functionality, as well as just the more seamless integration in the iOS platform to me is absolutely key; also tested and works perfectly on Android.

Anyways ... you are looking at about $100 - $130 in parts without the Omron (really similar to what would be in the HexNail less the type K thermocouple amplifier but + the Omron) ... then another $70 for the Omron. For me that $70 is a no brainer. The only Arduino/Raspberry Pi based PID controller I would currently feel running safely, especially while not around it, woud be the MaxVapor one ... the rest I would be worried about runnaway heaters and the like ... just my 2 cents.

Anyways ... I've created a separate thread for my project, (FC Enail by JCat) so I'll stop clutering up this one :)

If anyone gets there with a solid PID algorithm, I'll be more than happy to chip in with connecting my software. The HexNail one isn't solid though ... from the stories of the runnaway heater etc I am just not interested myself in that piece of software ... the ArduPID by Brent Beauregard is also a nice little piece of software (I've ported that to typescript and spent immense amounts of time playing with it and a Raspberry Pi), but the reality is, it never comes anywhere close to what the Omron can do ... I think it was more geared at devices with slower response curves and more thermal mass ... when you get into things like this ... the PID algorithm needs to be more advanced and you need to implement a 2-DOF algorithm as well as apply a bunch of other techniques to deal with "self-tuning" all the time on the fly. (why the Omron does so well even when the PID settings are off ... it does better with bad PID settings then most cheap PIDs do with good settings ... and the way it performs with good settings is superb :) ... and it generates those settings for you for each of your different devices in minutes! )

FYI--when I'm done, the build will likely be easier then getting a HexNail up and running ever was :) ... especially with Raspberry Pi's shipped out pre-programmed.

Edit: Just a quick note ... for fun ... I just installed NGINX quickly and configured on my PiZero that's running my "FC E-Nail by JCat" (took me <10 minutes). I then built the client and copied it over.

Here's a screenshot of it running in my browser on my phone (hosted on the device):

IMG-0089.png

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
Pretty quiet here for weeks!? No news?
I've branched off into a separate thread ... since it's really my own build at this point (not a community build ... still open for community involvement, but so far it's just me)

FC E-Nail by JCat

FYI-- @Hogni - this is 220V compatible ... just a matter of switching the coil and the plug for the unit; both the Omron and the AC-DC converter for the Pi are 110/220 compatible.

Warmaniac_209

Chocolate Milk Chug Meister
i want to revive this thread, as a hardcore DIY myself, and in the process of building a box in the like of JCat, dont know if he still interested in these, and if he's willing to lend a helping hand, everything hardware related, i can manage easily, but when it come linux and rasbian, i dont know a shit hahahah, but im quick learner, and if there is some quick tutorial on the net wo point out the basic, i can work something, all i want is something i can connect to with my computer or cellphone, preferably via webbrowser. As you said earlier, i dont own a apple device neither apple devlopper licence, and i only own a iphone, but my computer will always be open when the device will be in use, and nothing stop me to use the pid old school way, and dial in my temps with the controller directly, or with the encoder... so many options :rockon::bowdown: i must realy commend your ingenuity @JCat, and hope to have more info about your own device after so much time, if you've improved it , if you still use it !

my best regards and respects, stay vaped and good evening !

just saw the new thread, gonna go there instead, my bad !

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
i want to revive this thread, as a hardcore DIY myself, and in the process of building a box in the like of JCat, dont know if he still interested in these, and if he's willing to lend a helping hand, everything hardware related, i can manage easily, but when it come linux and rasbian, i dont know a shit hahahah, but im quick learner, and if there is some quick tutorial on the net wo point out the basic, i can work something, all i want is something i can connect to with my computer or cellphone, preferably via webbrowser. As you said earlier, i dont own a apple device neither apple devlopper licence, and i only own a iphone, but my computer will always be open when the device will be in use, and nothing stop me to use the pid old school way, and dial in my temps with the controller directly, or with the encoder... so many options :rockon::bowdown: i must realy commend your ingenuity @JCat, and hope to have more info about your own device after so much time, if you've improved it , if you still use it !

my best regards and respects, stay vaped and good evening !

just saw the new thread, gonna go there instead, my bad !
Yes, checkout my FC E-Nail thread. If you want to work towards a standard hardware platform, I’m sure we can workout a trade in terms of software and code. A collaboration was always what I wanted out of this project and that is why it is largely frozen ... I just haven’t had time to build out the units.

I just want to build myself a 2nd one with a few minor changes at the moment! And a nicer case! But if you want to work towards a collab instead we should get talking.

Ideally it would be nice to get beta units into the hands of a handful of people.

I literally use mine daily ... it’s amazingly robust and stable and I’m super happy with it! Runs for weeks on end without crashing or issues.

Warmaniac_209

Yes, checkout my FC E-Nail thread. If you want to work towards a standard hardware platform, I’m sure we can workout a trade in terms of software and code. A collaboration was always what I wanted out of this project and that is why it is largely frozen ... I just haven’t had time to build out the units.

I just want to build myself a 2nd one with a few minor changes at the moment! And a nicer case! But if you want to work towards a collab instead we should get talking.

Ideally it would be nice to get beta units into the hands of a handful of people.

I literally use mine daily ... it’s amazingly robust and stable and I’m super happy with it! Runs for weeks on end without crashing or issues.
thats what ive done, as i was saying on the JCat Enail thread, id be more than thrilled and happy for a collab, just need some basic 101 on linux, but you know ive seen much worst, and im sure i can work it out, with a little help, and as a certified electrician, im sure that with our 2 kind of knowledge, a great product could be made. and as a bonus im not that far, so shipping wise back n forth shoudnt be a big problem, same if a meeting is due. but im dead serious, i friggin love this project !

just need to work out a devloper kit hahahahha and we will be in buisness !

Last edited by a moderator:
Warmaniac_209,
Reactions: JCat

JCat

Accessory Maker
We can move the discussion over here too from the other thread ... if I get someone else assembling and assisting with the hardware, then it is a community project and no longer just the JCat FC E-Nail project :)

There are hundreds of hours in the software ... :lol: ... but I wouldn't do it if I wasn't having fun :)

For the case, the main thing I'm after is something clean and repeatable preferably. Just make the design of the rest of the electronics and assembly easier I believe, and allow re-use of cutting templates, re-use of standard cases, re-use of standard sizes of wires etc etc etc. Would ideally even be nice to build the whole front panel so the LED display, button, and rotary controller are all mounted to the same custom PCB. Not sure I love the PC Power supply idea ... not bad maybe ... but maybe a little clunky looking and maybe not elegant enough? (or maybe I'm just picky!!! :lol: ) That being said, I suppose if you are doing the wiring, you can put them in whatever you see fit :)

I've even been thinking just about front/back templates (3/16" aluminum), wiring harnesses, pre-wired switches, etc. etc. and then can be mounted in box of one's choosing. One could use standard aluminum project boxes (as is standard w/ many other e-nails), or one could get fancy with a nice wood enclosure or retrofit into some retro enclosure.

I've been thinking about planing down a little cherry or maple I have kicking around to make the tops/sides ... then I'd just need front/back aluminum templates to size with cutouts. (I can do them by hand, or with a jig saw, but I don't have a scrollsaw setup in my shop currently and the bandsaw doesn't really work for this type of work ... :) )

And yes it's just a E5CC-QX2ASM-802 ... I don't believe it varies the power it actually sends to the coil does it? Does it not just turn it on/off based on varying duty cycles? (that's how the PID implementations online for resistive heating elements are documented ... I've studied and implemented some ... and just read up quite a bit on them ... not saying that's necessarily what the Omron is doing .. but it does seem like that's what it's doing based on the flashing of the "OUT" indicator which indicates when it's powering the relay. Anyways ... this might just be a lack of understanding here ... if we could actually get other settings from these other pins ... might save some cycles reading the rs-485 which can get a little overloaded.

Warmaniac_209

i understand for your concern about aesthetics, we dont all have the same taste and its all right this way :) as for a standardised box yeah, i gonna wait for all my part to arrive, damn china post hahahaha, and start prototyping to find the most efficient/neat/less size possible for it, i prefer the large SSR simply because they can soak some heat, and you just attach them to the bottom plate with thermal compound and you are generaly able to cool them very efficently without a clunky heatsink. as for the powersupply idea, as i where saying, its more because they are free where i live hahahaha, and as i say, ive got a EVGA model, wich is made to go in a gaming pc, so they look nice, not just a clunky grey box.... as i where saying taste is aquired it seems hahahah, but the single pcb is realy tempting, with all the small raspberry pi accessory combined.... would save a lot of headache, and if i remember well @maxvapor710 offered a custom pcb service, if i can get the right components, draw a rough pcb sketch shouldnt be hard after.

for the components, i made a small list, i pm'ed you earlier, when its final i'll post it here, tell me what you think, and you and i where thinking the same for the switch harness and prewiring, i want it to be as simple and straightfoward as possible, no kung-fu ninja skill required ! just the basic safety and to know how to use a screwdriver, DIY Kit , there is only the PID controller that gonna require also to know how to read a diagram, but should be easy , im gonna make sure of it !, might even make a video on how to properly assemble and solder the thing like a pro ! but first ! wait after the package :/

for the pid controller you can do both, its in the advanced option, i PM you a document, there are instruction on how to set it on true PID control instead of on-off, but you gonna have to run the PID autotune for it to work correctly, but it completly negate overshoot, much more sensitive, i usualy program them like this, instead of the on-off method, for certain process, you cannot allow overshoot, ect.... but these kind of application are out of scope here, more at my work hahahahahah :p you said you had fun when you designed the software, me its designing thing like this, as you gonna see in my PM post, and everyone else here too, i want this to be a tank, something indestructible, electricaly safe, something you can let on all day long without any kind of stress or fear, and if there is anything, the ability to turn it off remotly !

i will probably start a little bit later today the primary draft for the electrical wiring, start to prep my prototype/personal unit powersupply case, post 2-3 picture of my plan, we will see, maybe when you will saw the end result you gonna be suprised ! or it will be damn ugly and i gonna tire myself and buy something premade.

can you PM me the SSR part number you used, you look like you used the omron one, but i can only find big large ssr like mine, if i want to be able to size it down, your ssr seem the way to go, for a "mass produced" version, yeah more i think of it more a custom pcb seem to be the way to go for it to be convinient.

Edit : this, and the ones for the accessory for the rapsberry pi zero, i think i will start with this, this is the most pressing concern, to be able to make the pcb, solder them, and test them, found some encoder wheel with a push button, 5pin, now to reverse engineer the original encoder wheel and button pcb for the Pi and to be able to design our own. piece of cake :rolleyes:, but doable !

Last edited:
Warmaniac_209,
Top Bottom