Freezing your wand

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I love these little experiements. :D

Predictions? Higher than normal condensation loss, far outweighed by a massive, silky smooth, creamy chilled vapor punch straight to the dome. :drool: Wand will be fine, tubing might take a while to dry out. Weed might even get a bit damp.

When I said "Wonder if it'll fuck with the tubing" I was thinking more about some fluke reaction to the temp change causing it to leech out dangerous fumes. Think I've been hanging around spikyvape too long. :uhoh::lol:

Hell yeah you should thermally probe that bitch. If you had one of those infrared thermometers, then I'd be impressed by your nerd status.

Maybe try to shape it into something cool before you stick it in there. Whipsicle.

vtac,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Hell yeah you should thermally probe that bitch.
:lol: Ew.

Awesome Partially_Veiled, let us know how it goes! :D

She's a beaut', lets hope it works out well. Make sure your vaporizer is well heated up and weed grounded up before you give it a go (so it doesnt warm up before you take a hit)

SpiralArchitect,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Okay a very quick update then maybe I'll be back later on this evening (once things calm down) to give any interested parties the nitty gritty. Everything was fine, I actually left my whip in the freezer for a full 12 hours...and the tubing wasn't even "rigid" or brittle when I took it out. Last night I checked on the whip about 15 - 20 minutes after I'd put it in the freezer, and it was already starting to look reaaaally frozen, so I decided to turn the temp. down a little. Not by much, it was probably still about a 8 - 9 out of 10...just thought it was worth mentioning. I left my temperature probe in the freezer with the door shut for close to an hour this morning, and it pretty much slowed to a crawl around -9.3 deg. C. It might have kept climbing down...but I didn't feel like waiting for the probe to freeze entirely. It can take up to -50C so if anyone is really that interested I'll throw it back in. I just didn't have the patience this morning.

Anyway, the freezing seemed to work, but it just didn't work long enough. I got about three hits off the whip where it was much smoother than normal...and then everything had stabilized and the heat was pretty much normal. One optimistic thing to think about would be that you don't need to leave the wand in the freezer nearly as long as I did; this was a matter of convenience for me in this instance. Proves that boro. can take it (both the freeze and the abrupt temp. change), apparently...but it's totally not necessary (IMO). When I removed the whip this morning, it seemed to be less frozen than before I turned the temp down by that little bit last night...so the key doesn't seem to be leaving it in there for uber long periods of time...it doesn't seem to do anything substantial for temperature retention. It might be just as easy to throw a whip in the freezer for 15 or 30 minutes and then get a quick couple of chilled hits from that...hell, if you had multiple whips you could rotate them if you wanted to. To me it wasn't really what I was hoping for, so I probably won't bother. Give me more excuse to start searching out an ice chamber :D.

partially veiled,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
i think it wqould be a better idea to make a little in-line ice holder... like a little container in the middle of the whip full of ice that the vapor passes through to cool off

this could be accomplished much simpler than many of my othr plans, just get like a tupperwear container or something, cut holes in both sides just large enough to fit the whip and make a seal, then you cut a whip where you want the ice chamber to be and stick the sides in both ends
then just fill the container with ice, put the lid on, and hit that shit

it might be better to use more than 3 ft of tubing though, maybe 2 feet from the wand to the container then 3 from the container to your mouth

Acolyte of Zinglon,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Cool experiment Partially_veiled, it makes me want to give it a try now and I probably will within the next few days! :) Gotta try it before I can knock it myself. :)

SpiralArchitect,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
You should definitely try it, SA. I gave it another go tonight...:brow:

I actually turned the whole fridge up to MAXIMUM COLDNESS :lol: (it starts cooling down right away, but takes quite a while to fully change temperatures, I think). I then threw the whip into the freezer--my main, heavily resinated :ko: whip this time...with only 29 inches of tubing. That was at quarter to 11, and I only meant to do it for about half an hour, but I sort of forgot and ended up retrieving the whip at 12ish. It was veryyyy nice. Still only lasted for a few hits, but everything felt noticeably cooler and crisper this time. I'm thinking tomorrow I might give both whips a nice clean, and then toss them in the freezer until the next time I feel like using them. Might be a day or so...I have a busy weekend planned. I still don't know if this is effecting the tubing or not...it seems to be fine...but part of me still worries.

AoZ I totally hear what you're saying, and I had been thinking something along those lines as well. Makes me think back to my bong/water bong constructing days...viva Canadian Tire and the Dollar Store! :lol: Being a kid was fun :D

Seriously though, I was thinking something similar along the lines of:

whip -> short length of tubing -> 1l glass mason jar (through the lid, with pre-drilled holes and using some creative type of seal/flushing hardware) -> similarly affixed tubing coming out of a similar hole in the same lid, slightly longer and leading to the mouthpiece

I think 5 feet of tubing is too much though...I would want to use as little as possible and still make it comfortable and convenient. So yeah, that would be pretty simple, and it could easily be filled with ice or water. As long as your in tube is below the water-line/ice-line and your out tube safely above it, you're good to go (although with ice, I don't know how important this is...you'd probably still want some clearance just for optimal airflow/circulation). It would be pretty simple for me to paint on something like this and make it personal...it would always still look like a mason jar (with an etched logo haha) but I dunno, crafting is mucho fun. :brow:

Oh yes and vtac, you mentioned the possibility of the bud getting damp with this little experiment...that does in fact seem to occur. It LOOKS to me, and that's really all I can base my judgment upon because I can't quite stick my finger down into the bowl as I'm hitting it...but it appears that because the air is being moistened continually (therefore including while I'm drawing it over the herb...), rather than simply after the fact, the bud is picking up some of the dampness. It doesn't really seem to impede vapor production, as my SSV gets plenty warm...but it's something to keep in mind. All in all this is a fun trick, but I really think I'm going to construct a water/ice chamber if I want to cool my vapor. It really wasn't an issue with me before this thread, and I hadn't worried about it much...but...after the hits I got tonight I was thinking about it, and thinking hard :D

Another alternative would be simply to buy one of the downstem attachments from 7th Floor and use a bong...but I dunno, I'd still like to hit it "whip style" and it might be fun to DIY...plus I've got lots of mason jars sitting around. It'd be nice to have a GG heater cover and wand for using a set up like this, as well... A bong would sort of necessitate some type of hands free attachment, while still using a mouthpiece based cooling chamber would allow for using the normal wand. :huh:

Ah one more edit, why the hell not. Hey SA for the ultimate set up maybe I should go:

whip -> short length of tubing -> 1/2 pint mason jar "green screen" -> short length of tubing -> 1l pint jar "ice chamber" -> tubing to mouthpiece

:brow::lol:

partially veiled,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Been thinking about some 'dry' cooling systems too. No photoshop here. :(:D

Yes it would be a condensation magnet, but you could recover honey from the glass. Maybe use dry ice too.

vtac,

eLiguL

partially veiled said:
Seriously though, I was thinking something similar along the lines of:

whip -> short length of tubing -> 1l glass mason jar (through the lid, with pre-drilled holes and using some creative type of seal/flushing hardware) -> similarly affixed tubing coming out of a similar hole in the same lid, slightly longer and leading to the mouthpiece
You mean something like this??

27031water_cooler.JPG

It looks like crap but gets the job done. I found that the heat from my Extreme irritates my throat so I came up with this contraption. Its really weird because I never had this problem with my VaporCannon. If you look closely at the pic you will see that I used my old tubing from my Vaporcannon (its all yellow and ugly). The whip from my Extreme has a cylinder type mouth piece that fits nicely into the yellow tubing. This probably wouldnt work for the VaporCannon since it has a round mouthpiece but im sure a similar solution for your situation is possible.

Overall I would say this works pretty damn good, my sore throat is gone. The only downside I see is that you need big lungs to get a heavy hit, fortunately Ive had lots of practice :lol:.

eLiguL,

max

Out to lunch
eLiguL said:
I found that the heat from my Extreme irritates my throat so I came up with this contraption. Its really weird because I never had this problem with my VaporCannon.
Personally, I don't think it's the heat so much as it is the volume of air you get with the Extreme vs. the more typical whip unit. That was my experience at any rate. I found this to be true even more so with the VaporSnake, since it has an even wider vapor path than the Extreme. And I know heat was not an issue with the Snake, since it's water filtered. The PD, OTOH, does not irritate, despite the short vapor path, unless I take a ridiculously hard hit.

max,

eLiguL

max said:
eLiguL said:
I found that the heat from my Extreme irritates my throat so I came up with this contraption. Its really weird because I never had this problem with my VaporCannon.
Personally, I don't think it's the heat so much as it is the volume of air you get with the Extreme vs. the more typical whip unit. That was my experience at any rate. I found this to be true even more so with the VaporSnake, since it has an even wider vapor path than the Extreme. And I know heat was not an issue with the Snake, since it's water filtered. The PD, OTOH, does not irritate, despite the short vapor path, unless I take a ridiculously hard hit.
Top: VaporCannon
Bottom: Extreme

27031heating_element_diagram-med.jpg

If you look at my diagram, the Extreme's heating core looks to restrict airflow more than the VaporCannon. Im not really up on my HVAC but if im not mistaken, your airway is only as big as the bottleneck? If this is true, it would mean the Extreme actually allows less air through at any given time. I am stoned at the moment and there is a high possibility that I am wrong :lol:.

Out of curiousity how does the heating element look on the SSV??

eLiguL,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Alright, heres what I think, I guess.

A water filtration built into tubing, or a tabletop ice chamber then a mouthpiece would be too cumbersome. I like just having the wand > tubing > mouthpiece > lungs. However I'm kind of thinking of some sort device build into the mouthpiece where you could place some crushed ice. I'll have to doodle around and get 'creative' :brow:

I'm finishing up a vape bowl right now *exhales*

After this guy's toast, I'm gonna put it in the freezer for a while, I'll say about half an hour. I'm going to disconnect the wand from the tubing and lightly mist it with a hairspray bottle of water. ;)

Provided I don't forget or get distracted I'll post my results later today.

Well it was in there for about an hour. I took it out , loaded a bowl, topped it off with some nice blonde kief and started inhaling. I thought that nothing was happening until I exhaled.

after my first hit I checked out the wand to see how warm/cold it was and it had already gone to regular temperature, that is, where it is ground glass and connects with the heating element ground glass (I own a vaporwarez). Everything else remained cool for about 3 more hits and now it's room temperature although the tubing is slightly chilly and seems totally unphased by the tempature change.

All in all, I think it was fun and effective but it didn't stay cold long. I'll probably do it every once and a while just for Petes sake. I'd suggest everyone else trying it :)

SpiralArchitect,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
i like the tabletop ice chamber idea, i think ill take pv's design over my own though, i think big pictures, but the details get a bit fuzzy sometimes
plus it would be a nice little show to watch the vapor swirling in the mason jar :D

Acolyte of Zinglon,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I enjoy drinking tea time to time too, but this really is something I think everyone with wand may as well try once. It doesn't hurt and on a nice hot day (we don't have those where I live) it might be nice. ;)

i like the tabletop ice chamber idea, i think ill take pv's design over my own though, i think big pictures, but the details get a bit fuzzy sometimes
plus it would be a nice little show to watch the vapor swirling in the mason jar biggrin
Get back to us if you sketch any thing out or get some of the 'details' nailed down. :)

SpiralArchitect,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
SpiralArchitect said:
Get back to us if you sketch any thing out or get some of the 'details' nailed down. :)
It's quite simple, really. I've railed off a really quick sketch for you.

There would be a length of tubing going from the wand into the jar (a 1L glass mason jar). It would have to be long enough that, when you weren't hitting the vape, you could comfortably lay the wand down on your table or whatever. So that first length of tubing would be anywhere from around 14 inches to however long a person might desire. Hard to say exactly how long without doing a "dry fit". The two important factors are that the wand/tubing should be comfortable and not awkward (and both too little and too much tubing could easily become cumbersome), and that the tubing inside of the jar reaches all the way down to the bottom. You want the vapor to get pulled through the tubing, exit that tubing at the bottom of the jar, travel up past the ice and then get pulled into the other tubing which leads to your mouthpiece. Ice or water won't obstruct or crush the tubing either, and you don't really need anything special to keep the tubing in the jar and fed to the bottom...as long as it long enough, it wouldn't be a problem. You could always get creative and make the bottom a little fancier etc. This is a very bare bones concept...

Another important factor of the design is that the second section of tubing, the one leading to your mouthpiece, be kept above the ice line...this causes the air to circulate properly in the jar and get pulled up past the ice, and having the tube clear from blockage will also obviously aid in proper air flow. The length of this section of tubing is once again not set in stone...more of a user preference thing. The most important factors are still that it's comfortable, etc. I would think around 20 inches of tubing would suffice, maybe more. Maybe closer to 25+, or something... Once again...YMMV

Super simple. The hardest part is creating a "seal" around the holes you'd drill into the mason jar lids. The way I've traditionally gone about this is to drill a hole that's a shade too big for the tubing, then create a "bumper" around the sharp metal, plastic or whatever your lid happens to be made of, using strips of tape...make it a little tight for the tubing and the tubing will still slide through easily but should be held in place and be relatively air tight. This description probably doesn't do the design justice, but I can explain further when I have more time (if that's necessary). This design has worked very well for me in the past. I've also been much less health concious in the past...and of course we're talking about making smoking tools: I've obviously never made anything for a vape. So that (creating a seal around the tubing ports) may be a stumbling block. If using tape you'd want to be careful that you didn't use anything which would leach chemicals etc...I would think that heat should be so negligible at that part of the unit that it's not worth fussing over...but who knows, it'd be easy enough to go up to Home Depot or the like and figure out a new way to make a seal for those two ports.

A stepped up version could simply be:

wand -> tubing -> 1/2 pint mason jar "green screen" -> tubing -> ice chamber -> tubing to mouthpiece

It'd be pretty easy to create a stainless steel mesh screen or something to cover the tubing laying on the bottom of your green screen jar, giving you a platform to rest buds on while keeping the air flow optimal. Or you could probably just skip that and do it much like the ice chamber. Anyways, if I construct this...which I just may...I'd probably skip the green screen for now. I don't have enough tubing and I'm worried about condensation, as it is...that's another reason why I love my PD so much...the vapor path is short as can be but I'd never EVER desire cooling for that unit: the hits are always gentle and smooth. Like I said, I don't even really find that the hits from my SSV require cooling...but after trying those wand chilled hits...:rolleyes:

partially veiled,

Beezleb

I may try that some time when im feeling like doing something new. thanks pv.

Beezleb,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Not a problem Beezleb. Always happy to share. I can't really take any credit for that, anyway...seeing as the design is basically just common sense and simple physics. Pretty much every bong/water-pipe works in basically the same way. All I did was run my mouth all over the obvious. :p

Welcome to Fuck-Combustion! It's great to see another new member, and to see that some of our newest members are *gasp* actually contributing. That's awesome--if there's one thing we need around here it's more voices! Thanks for joining in :D Now let's have us some fun :ko:

Also...I've decided I will build this, just for the hell of it. So I'll definitely take some pictures when I go about it. Won't happen for a while though...I'm going to pick up some tubing and such first, and I'm busy as hell at the moment anyway so it'll just take me some time, I'm sure of it. I will construct an ice chamber in this fashion relatively soon though, probably within a month and a half - two months. Do you find your DBV hits hot? I think an ice chamber is a total luxury for the SSV/DBV/most vaporizers in general...but it's a pretty damned awesome one :lol:

partially veiled,

Beezleb

Ive not had a problem with hot vapor but I do drink some tea while vaping. It would get dry if I wasnt drinking anything but I think that is fair to say about all vapes in general.

Ive seen people who state that they are a bit sensitive and love the ice chamber attachments but I doubt I actually buy one. I would more than likely rather investing in seeing how big a bong I can get the dbv to fill and then blowing my lungs out hehe.

Im glad to be here, best forum for vapes ive seen.

Beezleb,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
myself ill probably make one of the inline mason jar ice filters, the main reason is that dry air wreaks havoc on my asthma, and it does seem more convenient than a bong, pricewise and effortwise
i dont think condensation in the whip really bothers me cause i can just recover it later on anyway, thats the main reason why using more tubing wouldnt bother me (im just not sure how to clean the whip other than scraping)

as of right now my mind is still set on the ssv, and when i order ill order a bunch of tubing as well, and ill be going to walmart to get a bunch of mason jars for curing and storage, so ill use one of those to make a nice ice chamber

Acolyte of Zinglon,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
i dont think condensation in the whip really bothers me cause i can just recover it later on anyway, thats the main reason why using more tubing wouldnt bother me (im just not sure how to clean the whip other than scraping)
Vapor condensing on the ice might be considerable if it's passing over a lot of it.

vtac,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Good point, vtac. It'd be very simple to change 1L mason jar for any other sized jar...anything above 1/2 pint, at least...that's probably too small. A 1 pint jar might be perfect...or you could just use any other suitable vessle, for that matter. Certainly doesn't have to be a mason jar...am I the only one that did this as a kid? Before brand name bongs had entered my life, everything was a bong...or at least most things were a possibility :brow:

You definitely don't need 1L worth of ice or water to properly chill a vapor hit, and all that extra surface area is just asking for trouble. 1 pint would be substantially more cramped, but it'd probably do the trick jusssst right. :D

partially veiled,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
im thinking of doing the two stage chambers, with one modification, green screen doesnt really appeal to me right now

the first stage is still half the size of the second, but its filled with warm water sitting on a coffee mug heater, the goal this accomplishes is to get the air to maximum humidity, then the second stage is filled with ice, to cool it off, that way the air reaching my lungs would be near 100% humidity, and it certainly doesnt hurt to have moist air, while dry air can be very irritating for my voice and lungs

Acolyte of Zinglon,
Top Bottom