Freezing your wand

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
:uhoh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1zzfAkqfEY

I ran across this a minute ago and had never seen anyone 'freeze their whip' before. Sometimes my lungs and throat get irritated from the hot vapor so this is appealing, but it worries me that my (Vapor Warez) wand might break from the rapid temperature changes, however the poster of the video claims vaporizing wands (at least the VaporBrothers, which I assume is almost exactly similiar in materials/design as the VW) can withstand much more dramatic and rapid temperature changes.

What do you guys think?
If I get some positive input that it's not likely to affect my wand I may give it a shot tonight. :)

SpiralArchitect,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Borosilicate has pretty good temperature shock resistance... How thick is your wand? It's a ground glass connection right? Wonder if it could fuck with the whip tubing.

If it breaks, tell vaporbros to send you a new one. :lol:

Looks smooth as hell.

vtac,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Yeah, and I'm pretty sure the deal with borosilicate is going from hot to cold too fast is bad news...but cool to hot?? I don't know...I think that's what boro. is designed to withstand, no? It sounds pretty reasonable to me...

If it works, this is a really cool idea!! Thanks for sharing SA :). I'd watch the video but I'm at work and don't have sound, so I'll check it out later. I might try this as well...it'd be nice to hear more peoples' :2c: first though. My SSV wans feel very thick, however...and they've already withstood a decent beating. I think it would work. We'll see!

partially veiled,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
vtac said:
Wonder if it could fuck with the whip tubing.
I missed this. That's a really good thought vtac. I doubt the tubing would take the freezing as graciously as the wand...and applying heat to a frozen tube may in fact be bad news. I'm not sure...I'd bet that the tube turns pretty brittle once frozen though...I could easily be wrong. I suppose we should check the specifics for our individual tubing types. What the hell is this "medical and food grade" tubing made of, anyways??

Edit: I really would love to try this...it reminds me of coming home from work and going straight to the fridge to grab my perfectly chilled water bong...mmmmmmmmmmm :ko:

partially veiled,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
partially veiled said:
What the hell is this "medical and food grade" tubing made of, anyways??
Very good question. I think the clear stuff the ssv and others use is some type of pvc, although the Vapolution's tubing looks the same and they say it's not pvc as if pvc is terrible to use. They all say food grade, medical grade which really means fuck all, how about telling us exactly what the fuck it is, heat resistance etc.

Apparently the most heat resistant is Tygon silicone, max posted a link to a place that sells it cheap, American Plastics I think. More prone to picking up oil and dirt though.

vtac,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
vtac said:
Apparently the most heat resistant is Tygon silicone, max posted a link to a place that sells it cheap, American Plastics I think. More prone to picking up oil and dirt though.
Why is it more prone to picking up oil and dirt? Is it more porous?? Wouldn't that be a bad thing for our intended usage..? Either way, I'll have to look into this when I get home tonight. I have no intentions of buying tubing from 7th Floor, as all these vape makers seem to mark their accessories waaaay up...I simply know I can find food grade tubing a lot cheaper. Where did max link that, do you remember? I seem to remember reading it as well...I'll try and dig it up a little later. Or max, if you're around...:D Heh

Just realized this was post 69 for me...Mwahahaha :brow:

partially veiled,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Haven't used it for a whip, but that's what I hear. If it's like that surgical tubing they use for slingshots, yeah it's more porous.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp

Edit:
max said:
Tygon from usplastics.com. And it's not silicone. "Tygon Pharmed Tubing - Less permeable to gases and vapors than silicone."
Couple mentions of it in the Extreme thread. Oh, and the mentions of dirt collecting on it were from people with Super Vapezillas which use some type of silicon, probably not Tygon.

vtac,

max

Out to lunch
Vape safe tubing can be different materials. Silicone is very good quality wise, but slicker, transparent tubing is preferred for look and feel. Could be polyethylene or other poly's.

I wouldn't freeze tubing. I think it would make it more brittle. Maybe not. Somebody want to test?

It's hard to find out exactly what all the different types of tubing is made of and what the specs are, at least from the website. I'm sure if you're a buyer for a medical lab or food processing plant you have easy access to all the necessary data, and I'm sure many businesses can buy straight from the manufacturers. US Plastics is the best place I've found for price and selection-
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ca...ic&Category_Name=29331&Page=1&clickid=leftnav

Like you, pv, I initially assumed I could find a better price on tubing than from the vape makers. I've found however, after looking at US Plastics, that vape makers like 7th Floor and Vapolution actually have excellent prices on tubing. 10 ft. from 7 Floor is 75 ct/ft and that's a great price. Vapolution's price for 5 3.5' pieces is about $1.15/ft, which is competitive with food grade from US Plastics. Of course shipping is the key to getting a good deal. Buy tubing and screens when you're getting a wand, mouthpiece, etc. Buying from US Plastics is worth it if you're buying different sizes, or trying to upgrade.

The biggest difference I've seen in the tubing supplied with a half dozen different whip models is that my V-Tower's tubing was stiffer than average, and the new stuff 7th Floor is using is more flexible than most. The V-Tower/Extreme tubing is subject to a higher temp than usual where it hooks up to the elbow connector, since the typical whip has a lot more glass to absorb heat. That could be why Steve uses a stiffer tubing. And I'm just assuming he's using the same stuff.

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I use a VaporWarez and it came with silicone tubing. It is prone to pick up stuff thats sitting on my desk, like flecks of weed or food specks. It's much more flexible, and I know this from experience because I have a glass hookah which used this like transparent stiff tubing for the mouth pieces. I hated it because of the tubing.

At least I am pretty sure its that silicone stuff, here is a picture of it if it helps;

view_mainimage.php

My wand is pretty thick, it's the one that comes with the Vapor Warez unit as pictured above.

SpiralArchitect,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Thanks for all the detailed info max. This is clearly something I'm going to have to look into a little deeper...both the different types of tubing and how I'm going to go about sourcing more. I want to shop around a bit before ordering from 7th Floor...but...I really do like their tubing so far (very soft and flexible, yet still thick and sturdy), and I think I probably will order a mouthpiece from them eventually, maybe some other stuff...so we'll see what happens. If I find any more good resources I'll be sure to let y'all know. Maybe we should start another thread for this type of thing? Vaporizer accessories or something like that.

max said:
I wouldn't freeze tubing. I think it would make it more brittle. Maybe not. Somebody want to test?
I agree, and I think there's a good chance that it won't ever "bounce back" to the same suppleness...but, I'll still be the guinea pig. IF we're certain that the wand will be safe. I can spare some tubing...in fact, one of the first things I did when testing my SSV was cut the tubing of my main whip down to 29 inches...so I might even have some "scrap" tubing to test this on. Either way, if we're sure that the glass whip will go through this undamaged I'd be willing to give it a shot. It really would be a cool way to get some cooled vapor. Might be a bust, too...holding a frozen glass whip doesn't sound like a lot of fun, and it'll probably heat up pretty fast with that hot air being pulled through...but who knows, it might be awesome. So yes, I'll give it a try, if someone can give some more input on the cooled whip being exposed to hot air dilemma.

SA, that tubing is very different from what came with my SSV. Looks verrrry soft, and it does look like silicone to me as well. I think that might actually have a much better chance of making it through freezing with no issues...however, I might also be shooting steam out my ass with that statement, so maybe we should let someone else give their :2c:. :)

partially veiled,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
I just watched the video. The poster makes a comment right on that link that the glass can handle the change of temperature...:uhoh: does that mean I gotta do it now?? Alright, some one had better egg me on...

BTW, this is random and off topic, but...the song they play in the video is by one of my favorite bands, Stereolab...and I actually happen to be listening to them at the moment. What a vaptastic synchronicity.

partially veiled,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I have a small 4 inch section of tubing I used for my vape green screen, I'm putting it in the my beer fridges freezer to see what happens. I'll leave it over night and play with it in the morning, let ya'll know what happened...

Partially Veiled, I'd advise caution if your going to freeze your wand. I'm assuming you have an SSV? I'm not sure what their wands are like, maybe tokinGLX or someone who knows about vapor wands/glass can let us know about the temperature change. If you want to test it out, go for it, but like I said be careful.

SpiralArchitect,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Acolyte of Zinglon said:
ssv is borosilicate, and he has a spare anyway if he breaks it :p
Ya cheeky little bastid. The nerve you've got, offering up my extra wand for destruction!! :lol: That's kinda what I was thinking too. :p

I don't think it will break. I've never owned another whip vaporizer, so I guess I don't really have anything to compare the SSV to, but the wands seem very tough. I really can't guess how thick the glass is as I'm simply horrible at shit like that...but I can tell that there's a bit of a "lip" at the top of the wand where it mates with the glass heater cover, which is slightly thinner than the wand/bowl itself and domed gently inward to receive the HC. I've already smacked the wand and dropped the whole whip on a couple of different things...most notably, I let the whip fall from my hand while still holding the mouthpiece and the wand promptly swung like a pendulum--directly into the steel crossbar of my piano bench :doh:. I've heard that familiar "clink" a couple of times...you all know the one...the sound which makes your clumsy ass terrified to look at your glass piece and scope the damage you've just done. I've heard that unfortunate sound a few times in my rough handling, and so far there is zero damage..not even dings or slight scratches.

I'll still wait for some one else to chime in, or just do some more research myself when I'm less vaped. I would like to keep that second wand for guests or other substances...:brow:

SA, what did you mean by "vape green screen"? Am I just totally out of the loop on this one or what? It's very possible...I am a bit of a hermit. :rolleyes:

partially veiled,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Well, the tubing has been in there since post #13, 7 hours. It doesn't appear to have affected the tubing in the slightest. I used a 4 inch piece of the silicone and about 12 inches of the harder, less flexible transparent tubing. The transparent tubing was much more rigid but after a few seconds of warming up it went back to normal.

Partially Veiled, let us know if you give the wand a shot. I'm still hesitant, seeing as I currently only own one wand I am going to want to wait until I have a backup in case all does not go according to plan.

SpiralArchitect,

Purple-Days

Freezing your wand...

Sorry, gotta ask, what about condensation? Isn't that thing gonna go all wet as soon as you pick it outta the freezer and into the moist air??? Like walking in from the cold outside with glasses, all foggy with moisture???

BTW I use USPlastics several times and have had excellent service from them. They are an industry supplier and top notch...

And as a Super-Vapezilla owner I am familiar with the tubing shown by SpiralArchitect, same stuff I'm pretty sure.

Wonderfully flexible (a plus), picks up every spec of dust and dirt (a minus), and mine became permanently discolored with residue (ehhh, no big deal, just less appealing to look at). It is very cleanable but the color remains.

Purple-Days,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I really couldn't imagine using the other kind of tubing. I look at it on my hookah and just shudder. I'm pretty sure its the same, or at least similiar kind SSV utilizes, not positive however...

Purple-Days, you raise a good point about condensation. However, my guess (stoned, not scientific) is that any condensation would just evaporate, with the airflow, heat and all. To begin with, I doubt it would produce much anyways. I really have no idea tho

SpiralArchitect,

Purple-Days

I was thinking more about it's interferance with loading, the fine herb just stuck to the inner walls. And then when that brings up the point that you have to reach vaporizing temps to vape so it's sorta like 'the ice bullet' ... I'm not sure I see the point of all the effort.

Yeah, the silicone tubing is way better than anything else I have used, just wish it wasn't such a 'magnet'.

Purple-Days,

Purple-Days

So freezing the tubing and not the wand, to get the cool draw, seems more likely to work. (and easier on the glass)

A small chest of dry ice and 3 silicone whips to rotate . . . :cool:

Purple-Days,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Well, the pieces of tubing I forgot in my freezer these past few days. All it did was make them 'frigid and rigid' but after they warmed up they went back to normal. I'm thinking before work tomorrow I'll put my wand in the freezer and try it out when I get home.

Partially_veiled did you give your wand a try?

SpiralArchitect,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Hey SA. Sorry, I'm busy as shit ATM and not checking in as often as I'd like to (which is more often than I'd like to admit :p). I hadn't put my wand in the freezer yet, nor had I put any tubing in the freezer, fridge or whatever. I'd simply gotten busy and forgot about it. I have to find my screens (have a nice fat stack of screens from 7th Floor in a little "Batman" baggie they sent me...but I don't remember where I put it) :doh:! Normally I have a place for stuff like that, but right now...:rolleyes: Anyway, I am going to search around the place and I should find those screens soon (they really can't be far...), when I do I'll throw some tubing on my second wand and put the whole deal (avec mouthpiece) into my refridgerator or freezer, I'm not sure which. I'll probably use a small bar fridge, instead of the main fridge. I have to clean it a bit anyway tonight, so we'll see. I'll come back and let you know what I've done. Even if I can't find the screens, I'll just clean up my main whip and throw that in. Definitely do it tonight and report back tomorrow. If you decide to give it a go as well, be sure to come back...:D

partially veiled,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Got 'em. Knew they couldn't have gotten too far...

Okay, so I'm going to use a bar fridge instead of a regular fridge/freezer, and I'm going to use the "freezer" partition, with the whole thing turned up close to maximum temp. (I have no idea how cold it really is...this is a pretty standard Danby bar fridge...). There will be nothing in the freezer but the whip. The SSV wand is relatively small, I believe, compared to some other box vapes (it certainly looks smaller than the wand you posted, SA...but pictures can easily be deceiving). As I stated before however, it is thick...so hopefully this works. The mouthpiece also feels solid and I'm my biggest worry is still the tubing (we have different tubing SA. The "new" SSV tubing is very flexible and soft, but still retains a rigidity and has a propensity for "holding its shape"...so I dunno, the freezing might affect this tubing differently. We shall see!

I have my doubts over whether or not this is going to work well, but who the hell knows--why not have some fun? :ninja:

Edit: I forgot to mention...I'm planning to place the whip into the freezer at 12 midnight and pull it out around 10 or so tomorrow morning...shooting for 10, but we'll see...I'll definitely be up earlier than that, so I'll be sure to check on the whip semi-infrequently heh :p, just to make sure it's not suffering too hard.

partially veiled,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Aighty. I tucked my whip away into the freezer a couple of minutes ago; the whole thing fits pretty well, but I'm glad the freezer is empty at the moment...I wanted to be very careful and I'm going to try to be extra careful tomorrow once the whip is "frozen". I also realized (somewhere deep in the haze of my absent mind) that I have several very accurate thermometer/hygrometers, one particular unit with a very accurate probe. So tomorrow when I'm taking out the whip I'll take the temperature of the "freezer", as well...just because I'm a nerd like that :p

Here is a picture of the sacrificial virgin, just in case I need to identify the corpse tomorrow. :uhoh:

All and all it's: 1 whip + screen + 40 inches of tubing + mouthpiece + a burlap sack full of hope

Oh yes, and the part of the wand which looks like lightly frosted glass (in the picture) is only condensation from my breathing down the tube before the shot was taken. I should also note that this whip really is a virgin: totally unused, including all accessories. For now...:brow:

partially veiled,
Top Bottom