• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Flower tastes like shit now

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I have been solely vaping concentrates for a few years now. The very few times I've gone back to try flower, the taste is not good. I just picked up a 1 gram bud that is known to be top shelf and the taste is the same whether I'm trying quality flower or shake used to make cheap pre-rolls. It is sort of a roasty vegetal taste that overpowers any terps present. Good buds still smell great, but was again disappointed today when a sweet frosty nug tasted crappy.

Has this happened to anyone? How long do I need to keep vaping flower before I can start enjoying it again? Hash rosins and live resins have stolen my taste buds away.

Last edited:

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
I agree concentrates definitely have a nicer taste or at least taste that doesn't offend as much, but that said I also don't enjoy giant dabs because those last hits don't taste as good as the first either. for the best taste with flower I like sticking with a smaller load and not just cause I'm a micro doser now, one of my first DD was a ditanium for a year and I only ran full 1/2 g loads and the flavour disappears quick, leaving you with a ton of blandness. keeping your load small so it's something you finish quickly helps a lot, but something that has a good low temp settings is where the best flavour is. unfortunately I need the effects of high temp vapour so I finish high after the lower flavour hits, I don't love the ass end of the bowl but I also don't hate it, to me its a sort of unsalted, unsweetened peanut butter mixed with black coffee which I enjoy from time to time but its not a everyday thing. I'm mostly a flower vapour so I can't tell you how long it takes to enjoy flower again someone like @florduh probably has better answers to that question though I do remember him attributing at least some of his success to vape choice, namely his tinymight, which is my top vape as well. it's powerful even at low settings with good flavour and if your like me and need the high temp effects its only the turn of a dial and a few seconds away, crush it and move on to the next bowl which you can just flavour chase with and make a fire cracker with the leftovers.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
but that said I also don't enjoy giant dabs because those last hits don't taste as good as the first either.
I have found I can load my Puffco Peak Pro with huge dabs and just sip off it at low temps like a session vape and the taste stays great until no more vapor is produced. I think this is all due to it having a thermocouple reading actual bowl temps instead of just extrapolating voltage to control heat. Also makes for a very easy clean-up, it never scorches.
I do still enjoy herb...my WoodScents is my go-to for flavour, not better or worse, just different(and does not make my eyes spin compared to rosin).

florduh

I'm mostly a flower vapour so I can't tell you how long it takes to enjoy flower again someone like @florduh probably has better answers to that question though I do remember him attributing at least some of his success to vape choice, namely his tinymight, which is my top vape as well. it's powerful even at low settings with good flavour and if your like me and need the high temp effects its only the turn of a dial and a few seconds away, crush it and move on to the next bowl which you can just flavour chase with and make a fire cracker with the leftovers.

For sure the TinyMight came into play with getting me to love flower again. I also just like the taste of flower when it hits well. I like that hoppy flavor. But I don't really like the terpless ABV flavor some vapes will give you. Like a traditional Vapcap session. The first two hits are great. But after that, it's still pumping out vapor, but all the terps are gone. That's what turned me off flower. With powerful convection vapes, you can get all the vapor available before the terps are gone.

I like the TinyMight because it's easy to get all the vapor available at a given temp. So steam production falls off before the flavor. Even at lower temps. I'm sure the TM isn't the only vape that makes this possible. Any temp controlled powerful convection vape should do it. The TM is just the first I've found that makes this whole process easy and mindless, so I stuck with it. The TM also makes it easy just to blast through a small load and get all the terps and available vapor in one or two hits. Like a flower dab.

I have found I can load my Puffco Peak Pro with huge dabs and just sip off it at low temps like a session vape and the taste stays great until no more vapor is produced.

I've noticed this as well with a temp controlled dab. You can stretch it out over a few hits while still maintaining some flavor. For me, that's important because I almost prefer an ABV tasting flower hit over a reclaimy/terpless oil hit.

I will say, for some people... once they go concentrates it's hard to go back to flower from a taste perspective alone. Especially if you're vaping good hash rosin. All else being equal, it does taste better. I just also really like the flavor profiles in flower. Switching back and forth seems to be a good idea for tolerance maintenance too.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
IMHO flower has some great flavor depth that doesn’t really translate over in a concentrate. Even the very finest concentrates rarely have the ability to “blow up” a room like cracking open a jar of dank buds.

But it’s harder to get optimum flavor when vaping herb, without being a little wasteful and tossing the load early.

Concentrates not having much if any unvaporizable plant material to degrade during the hit makes for an improved flavor profile, as the flavor notes aren’t competing with as many other taste sensations. I find the flavor of concentrates is often less complex than flower, but the lack of competing flavors makes those available notes “ring out” more clearly. Like how a guitar melody can have more impact by muting the rest of the band.

How long does it take to appreciate flower again? Well I usually switch back and forth every 2-3 years when I get bored of one or the other. Kind of an economics thing too, If I got all my supplies from a dispensary I doubt I would still vape flower, as a decent 8th costs as much as a gram of decent hash rosin here. But I get bulk flower helping out some friends with trimming so there’s an incentive still to vape herb. If I ever go back to true Micro-dosing I could sell everything for a rosin cartridge and be happy.

I will say, for some people... once they go concentrates it's hard to go back to flower from a taste perspective alone. Especially if you're vaping good hash rosin. All else being equal, it does taste better.

I agree that if one is strictly going off flavor, the stuff that vapes up clean with a bunch of terpenes is gonna be hard to compete with. Even though I think there’s a lot more to flavor than just a terpene percentage. 12% terpene rosin versus 1.5% flower is a pretty big difference. I notice that personal preferences play into this quite a bit though, you can have a concentrate with a high terpene percentage, but if the flavor profile isn’t what you’re looking for, it often won’t be perceived as being as terpy as a strain you’d prefer.

BabyFacedFinster

Switching back and forth seems to be a good idea for tolerance maintenance too.
Well, this is one of the reasons I've been trying to get back to flower a little. Even though the flavor isn't where I want it, the effects are pronounced. I mentioned in another thread that the tolerance I have for flower is different than for concentrates, and the same probably goes for edibles. I've been getting some strong effects from small amounts of flower, but really need several good dab hits to get me where I want to be.
I'm going to try a variety of vapes and vape temps to see if I can get the flavor back.

GoldenBud

I have been solely vaping concentrates for a few years now. The very few times I've gone back to try flower, the taste is not good. I just picked up a 1 gram bud that is known to be top shelf and the taste is the same whether I'm trying quality flower or shake used to make cheap pre-rolls. It is sort of a roasty vegetal taste that overpowers any terps present. Good buds still smell great, but was again disappointed today when a sweet frosty nug tasted crappy.

Has this happened to anyone? How long do I need to keep vaping flower before I can start enjoying it again? Hash rosins and live resins have stolen my taste buds away.
top or not... the grower can stop the drying process earlier than needed, then the flower will have 20% of water or even 30% when it needs around 10%. if he's eager to sell quickly. it looks/feels wet? moldy maybe?

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
With powerful convection vapes, you can get all the vapor available before the terps are gone.
yes I'm always amazed that if I doddle a bit between 3-5 by the time I jump to 10 there is almost nothing left vapour wise. for around the house my wpa is king! j hook for low temp flavour than switch to the hammer pipe for a high temp kill hit since who gives a fuck that water steals flavour when there's none left at that point.

florduh

I notice that personal preferences play into this quite a bit though, you can have a concentrate with a high terpene percentage, but if the flavor profile isn’t what you’re looking for, it often won’t be perceived as being as terpy as a strain you’d prefer.
I've noticed that I'll sometimes pick up hash that just doesn't taste good to me personally. And the flavor profiles are so pronounced that if it's a flavor I don't like, it's just not a great experience. It's rare, but it happens. Flower on the other hand... I usually don't ever get a strain that I absolutely hate the flavor of. Still tastes like flower. I even like how hemp flower tastes.

yes I'm always amazed that if I doddle a bit between 3-5 by the time I jump to 10 there is almost nothing left vapour wise. for around the house my wpa is king! j hook for low temp flavour than switch to the hammer pipe for a high temp kill hit since who gives a fuck that water steals flavour when there's none left at that point.

Oh yeah. I do the same thing. If I have shit to do, I'll stay around 5 or lower. I'll save that cooked herb and hit it again before bed at a high temp through water. It will release a pathetic little puff of steam. So, to me, it seems like th TM grabs pretty much everything available at a lower temp. That last puff of steam at level 8+ is just the goodies that are only available at high temps.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I'm a concentrate newbie. I avoid concentrates for some of the reasons stated in this thread as well as concern over increased cost versus flower.

Would a t-break reset the flower versus concentrate preference if you steer clear of concentrates after the break?

I steer clear of dabs and only allow myself to use a cart when I'm at a non-friendly location or just want a hit or two before bed and don't want to fill a new bowl.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Like the OP I'm mostly using concentrates these days, but still use flower mostly in my Crafty for daytime outdoor recreation like biking, xc skiing, hiking, etc. I'd say that 80% of my consumption is now concentrates. Purely coincidentally in terms of this thread, on Friday, for the first time in more than a year, I pulled out one of my Dynavaps and did flower hits all day and evening and then again yesterday. Delicious stony fun, and hits that are just as stony as the superb concentrates the Mainiacs(as we in NH refer to our neighbors) are making from their high quality legal organic weed. I think that last night was the first time in two years that I didn't do dabs on Saturday evening, sticking with flower in my VCs. Plus the quality of weed coming from the best organic growers is extremely high in terms of both terpenes and thc. The Headbanger flower I've been doing is tested at over 30% thc content. We are living in a Golden Age of cannabis.

hinglemccringleberry

Are there any good hemp-based concentrates that people think outclass flower in terms of flavor? (both hemp and marijuana flower).
Asking for a newbie friend.

hinglemccringleberry,

GoldenBud

Btw, I remember when somebody told me that he tasted the strain "Honolulu Choo Choo" and it smelled and tastes like Pee, a bit remind him of ammonia or so
But having a bud that tastes/smell like Poop? that's probably mold or something, check it with some 30x/60x Magnifying glass or so...

BabyFacedFinster

Btw, I remember when somebody told me that he tasted the strain "Honolulu Choo Choo" and it smelled and tastes like Pee, a bit remind him of ammonia or so
But having a bud that tastes/smell like Poop? that's probably mold or something, check it with some 30x/60x Magnifying glass or so...

Sorry, I was using a simile when I said flower tasted like shit. I didn't mean actual shit, but rather just not tasting great.

there any good hemp-based concentrates that people think outclass flower in terms of flavor?
Ice-o-lator hash if it's well made

I've Never tried press rosin.
But I Have tasted many hash, from some best coffeshops of amsterdam.
And an ice-o-lator was never on the same league than flower for taste, period.
Concentrates only take the potency side..

Even my kief, i never put it alone as the taste is just over-spicy..

Hash was invented by black market for transportation and storage. More value and less smell, for the same volume.

I've stopped hash since i vape. (2012)

Any alcoholic will love whiskey taste, then any young girl i know will go to cocktails..
So u either have hay, or fucked up papilla (old smokers?).

And for the "tolerence" part Between concentrate and flower, it's all in your head.. no difference, same accustoming, and worst.. same lower assimilation, due to granulomas. easier to get with a denser concentrate. reasons some sensitive can't do dab, like @Alexis . But it's the same with overcooked flowers.
There is only an edible/vapor difference, lung/liver.

Are we in 2022 ? Or cannabis is it still an high school business... i know the eldest want to feel young again, but dumb..:rofl::evil:

UneOnceDeLumière,
  • Sad
Reactions: LesPlenty

GoldenBud

Speaking about private made Iceolator... (Public places aim for quantity, not for quality..)
Ice-o-lator is being made with 25-125 micron nets, the diameter of terpenes is around 30-70 micron, so a good iceolator (manual stirring with the rod... not too fast... so the chlorophyl won't fall to the product) is very, very much terpey and tasty. the best ice-o-lator will almost leave a flavor on your front teeth too

Razhumikin

I've Never tried press rosin.
Concentrates only take the potency side..

Even my kief, i never put it alone as the taste is just over-spicy..

Hash was invented by black market for transportation and storage. More value and less smell, for the same volume.

I've stopped hash since i vape. (2012)

Any alcoholic will love whiskey taste, then any young girl i know will go to cocktails..
So u either have hay, or fucked up papilla (old smokers?).

And for the "tolerence" part Between concentrate and flower, it's all in your head.. no difference, same accustoming, and worst.. same lower assimilation, due to granulomas. easier to get with a denser concentrate. reasons some sensitive can't do dab, like @Alexis . But it's the same with overcooked flowers.
There is only an edible/vapor difference, lung/liver.

Are we in 2022 ? Or cannabis is it still an high school business... i know the eldest want to feel young again, but dumb..:rofl::evil:
There is a psychological aspect to tolerance as well, for any drug, where you become attenuated to a certain form of consumption when that is repeated over and over again and that affects how high you feel. If you always vape in one place, and then you vape somewhere else, the same amount will make you feel higher. It is all in your head, yes, but it doesn't make it any less real in terms of how it affects you. This is a well known fact in the field of psychology.

is very, very much terpey and tasty. the best ice-o-lator will almost leave a flavor on your front teeth too
A spicy taste..
Never found the violet taste of my love critical, or even the basic lemon in any hash, or even kief.

It is all in your head, yes, but it doesn't make it any less real in terms of how it affects you. This is a well known fact in the field of psychology.
Placebo effect. While "tolerence", or "accoutumance" as we rightly call it in french psychatry, isn't about placebo. And a different place just bring more risk to stress, it's not a different "tolerence", just a different activity/reactivity from your amygdala and hippocampus.
But i'm talking neuroscience, not your street "psychology".
But as i said.. high schoolers scammers..

Last edited:
UneOnceDeLumière,

Razhumikin

A spicy taste..
Never found the violet taste of my love critical, or even the basic lemon in any hash, or even kief.

Placebo effect. While "tolerence", or "accoutumance" as we rightly call it in french psychatry, isn't about placebo. And a different place just bring more risk to stress, it's not a different "tolerence", just a different activity/reactivity from your amygdala and hippocampus.
But i'm talking neuroscience, not your street "psychology".
But as i said.. high schoolers scammers..
This neuroscience article in Cell, which is among the most reputable medical journals, seems to disagree with you

Please feel free to refute me, if you can provide reputable sources. Im no neuroscientist but I am a scientific researcher in a different medical field.

GoldenBud

A spicy taste..
if you find the one who aims only for quality, quantity doesn't matter for him, then you will find lemon / gas / mint flavors much better than almost any flower..
the problem is when they want money. not quality. terpenes diameter is around 30u, ofc ice hash will be tasty. (coffeeshops can do bubble hash with stirring too fast or so, you can't know..)
BHO is the thing that won't taste as well as iceolator (THC Is soluble in Butane, Not terpenes, AFAIK)

P.S
another thing to keep in mind - the best bubble hash is too sticky, you can't touch or take from it without a fridge.. that's why maybe some of the people will not take this thing because it's easy to lose material..

This neuroscience article in Cell, which is among the most reputable medical journals, seems to disagree with you
Sorry, i will not paid for a psychology "thesis" from 1983. Citing 1969 articles...

The word "tolerence" use by america let that ambigious attribution to exogenous parameter which are only catalyseur. As the environemental stress. Even if the catalyse help to trigger behavour.

When talking about "drug tolerence", only the ammount variable must be taken. For the same exogenous parameters. Not the opposite. Which make it slips to archaique "psychology"

UneOnceDeLumière,

Razhumikin

Sorry, i will not paid for a psychology "thesis" from 1983. Citing 1969 articles...

The word "tolerence" use by america let that ambigious attribution to exogenous parameter which are only catalyseur. As the environemental stress. Even if the catalyse help to trigger behavour.

When talking about "drug tolerence", only the ammount variable must be taken. For the same exogenous parameters. Not the opposite. Which make it slips to archaique "psychology"
This is an old article, but its widely cited, and its not a thesis, its a peer reviewed article. If you can support your position with peer reviewed articles, please then link me to them.

Top Bottom