First dry herb vape for 300 USD?

fkabravo

Hey there friends! I'm looking at purchasing my first dry herb vape and wanted some opinions and advice.

Price Range: How much are you wanting to pay? No one can give a suggestion without knowing your limit. If you have unlimited funds make it clear.
I have a budget of 300 USD, which hopefully can include a grinder

# of Participants: How many people on average do you think you'll want to use this vape with. Would you prefer toking solo, wanting to share, or even bring it to a party?
It'll just be for myself

Toking Routine: How much/often do you smoke/vape currently? Try and list how much herb/bowls a day/week or even throughout the day.
I currently only smoke disposable concentrate cartridges, and take 1-2 hits in the evenings, around 3-5 times a week. My tolerance is pretty low.

Extraction Speed: Did you want to vape through your herb quickly or have a lengthy session?
I'd prefer an on-demand vape

Environment/Form: Where are you wanting to use this vaporizer, something small or large? Did you need something portable, portable and stealthy, or something for your home?
I'll primarily be smoking at home, on my patio, in an illegal state. Something stealthier would be nice, but not totally needed. I'd also like having the ability to use it elsewhere if need be.

Vape Experience: Is this your first vape, have you used or owned any vapes in the past? If you've got opinions or have used other vaporizers help us narrow down the options with a bit of your past experience.
I've only ever used concentrate cartridges, and would really prefer to switch to flower due to the environmental impacts of disposable cartridges. Only thing I don't love is how hot some hits on the disposable carts can be. I'd like some cooler vapor if possible.

Personal Requests: Is there something specific you want in a vaporizer? Some want the best flavor, others prefer replaceable batteries or butane, some like a lot of airflow. Please mention anything
I may have arthritis (currently on a wait list to see a rheumatologist to confirm), so something that's a bit easier to use or doesn't require too much stress and use of the hands would be ideal.

Location: You don't have to tell us exactly where you live but knowing the country from the beginning will make the suggestions and site recommendations a lot better as we'd know what's available to you.
Live in the US, on the border of a legal and illegal state

I'm currently considering either a Dynavap M or Vong (since Dynavap is running that 15% off sale), with an ISpire Wand or another induction heater. I'd appreciate any opinions and recommendations, thanks in advance!

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
A warm welcome to the forum @fkabravo

What an awesome first post!

I mostly use dynavaps, dosage suits my tolerance, very easy to clean and maintain, on demand or session, has a great ritual but definitely has a learning curve. An induction heater would be a great idea if you have dexterity issues.

Xmax V3pro gets alot of love as a starter vape.

TinyMight is possibly the king of the on-demand portables.

A log style vape may be worth a look at but not as portable.

Last edited:

fkabravo

A warm welcome to the forum @fkabravo

What an awesome first post!

I mostly use dynavaps, dosage suits my tolerance, very easy to clean and maintain, on demand or session, has a great ritual but definitely has a learning curve. An induction heater would be a great idea if you have dexterity issues.

Xmas V3pro gets alot of love as a starter vape.

TinyMight is possibly the king of the on-demand portables.

A log style vape may be worth a look at but not as portable.
Thank you for the welcome!

Considering the small bowl size, and my lower tolerance, I think a Dynavap may be best. Would an M be best or worth it to spend a bit more for the Vong?
Also any IH you can recommend?

Greenleaf88

One more vote for the dynavap, now the m will be more than enough but I would recommend the vong cuz if u do find it a little warm it's easily bong ready. Now the m does fit In 10 mm also.

For induction the wand has alot of great feedback on fc, I can only speak on the one ive used for the last 5 years made by one of fc own pipes jarhead.

Greenleaf88,
Reactions: fkabravo

TheThriftDrifter

This is the cheapest deal to get into a dynavap if you don't mind glass. $49usd

I love my wand, it's a bit different to other induction heaters in that it let's you easily vary where you are heating the DV tip. Kind like a torch does. You can also get an insert for the wand so that it acts more like a normal IH. $130usd

On the other hand something like a Pipes IH offers a different heating experience. His product are very well regarded and he is a member here on FC. $123usd

I hear these are decent grinders. :worms: $75usd

Welcome kit BB3 $49usd exc shipping
Wand $130 free shipping
BCG grinder $75 exc shipping
= $254usd + shipping.

badbee

A Vong and iSpire Wand would be a very solid choice for first vape. That combo has become my go to 4 days out of 5 for the last few months. It is suitable for small or bigger sessions. The Wand is heavy but a convenient shape for a jacket pocket. I take mine to the movies for a quick tune up in the parking lot sometimes. The Wand seems to be very reliable and the Vong is virtually indestructible. If you decide you don't like it you can likely sell for 80% of what you paid.

The only downside of the Vong is that it takes more technique than something battery powered like a Fury Edge (commonly recommended as a low cost first time vape). It shouldn't take you too long to master however, especially with an induction heater.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Naw, fuck a vapcap for your use case and budget. It's tricky in these "which vape" threads because vapcaps are inexpensive and widely owned with a great reputation so you'll generally get a lot more "I have that vape and like it" encouragement.

Vapcaps score low for flavor, require separate heating for each hit, and also have tight draw resistance so they do best with a quirky mouth-to-lung hit style that I call the "firing squad cigarette drag".

A vapcap as a first flower vape is fine for someone with a tight budget whose priority is to stretch their weed (vapcaps are very efficient).

I'd go with a Tinymight plus a wpa and a Dhgate j-hook for the porch. The TM's little button and knob might bug your arthritis but the vapor quality, versatility, flavor and effects are a world apart from a toasty vapcap hit.

You could try an Xmax V3 Pro. It performs really well for a hundred dollars and is in a league of its own for convection under $150 or even $200. That said the heater is much smaller and slower than the Tinymight so it won't show you the full potential of on demand portables.

Edit: the one thing I like less than starting with a vapcap would be starting with a vapcap and doubling down with a quirky wand induction heater before you even know what you're missing. I'd hate to see you out on the porch holding your Wand in one hand and your vapcap in the other and waiting twenty seconds for one hit thinking "I switched to a flower vape so now this is my ritual".

You can consider some other portables and we'll weigh in. I have many vapcaps and four induction heaters that are quicker than the wand and still would advise against it. The hits aren't tasty enough and you're forced to vape to suit the vapcap's idiosyncrasies.

You just can't say that about the TM: it'll buzz in under five seconds to say it's ready and then you can 1) take a quick hit with your eyes closed and put it back in your pocket 2) take fluffy low temp flavor hits with a j-hook and remove the wpa every hit or two to see how dark the abv is, or 3) start at a higher number on the dial and take a big dense hit with a bubbler or either glass option above.

Last edited:

fkabravo

Naw, fuck a vapcap for your use case and budget. It's tricky in these "which vape" threads because vapcaps are inexpensive and widely owned with a great reputation so you'll generally get a lot more "I have that vape and like it" encouragement.

Vapcaps score low for flavor, require separate heating for each hit, and also have tight draw resistance so they do best with a quirky mouth-to-lung hit style that I call the "firing squad cigarette drag".

A vapcap as a first flower vape is fine for someone with a tight budget whose priority is to stretch their weed (vapcaps are very efficient).

I'd go with a Tinymight plus a wpa and a Dhgate j-hook for the porch. The TM's little button and knob might bug your arthritis but the vapor quality, versatility, flavor and effects are a world apart from a toasty vapcap hit.

You could try an Xmax V3 Pro. It performs really well for a hundred dollars and is in a league of its own for convection under $150 or even $200. That said the heater is much smaller and slower than the Tinymight so it won't show you the full potential of on demand portables.
I already ordered a Dynavap last night :ko:

Darn, well I’ll give it a shot, and if anything, I can buy something else in the future. The TM was looking pretty pricey tbh, and didn’t know if it would be worth it to splurge.

fkabravo,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure

Darn, well I’ll give it a shot, and if anything, I can buy something else in the future. The TM was looking pretty pricey tbh, and didn’t know if it would be worth it to splurge.
I added to my vapcap critique in that last post just FYI.

Yeah, it happens a lot. Skip the wand at least. This twelve dollar mantello torch is what I'd use most if I didn't have fancy, scarce induction heaters aplenty:

Mantello Cigars Torch Lighter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6C8F34/

This is the dynamic duo I'd have you try:
PXL-20220530-183801851-2.jpg

Last edited:

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!

Nah the vapcap is a great starting vape that just happens to hold its own against many of the more premium portables as well. I don't think you need to regret it or anything like that. The flavor criticisms being leveled are kind of true of any convection vape--after a hit or two the terps are mostly going to be done. If you're a flavor chaser the best option is really to pack small bowls that you can clear in a single hit and then repack for subsequent hits. The dynavap is very amenable to this with its already small bowl, half-bowl option, and ease of reloading via the straw suck method. You can also pick up an FMJ to make the single-bowl clears simpler, but if your tolerance isn't high that may not be something to consider. The draw resistance is a thing, but I do direct to lung hits natively all the time--just feather the airport to get some cool air in. You can also use it with glass to alleviate this to some extent, but obviously it will never be as free flowing as vapes that don't have a restricted air intake.

Normally I'd agree with Bossman re: the induction heaters as I personally find them more of a convenience thing than something that really changes the vapcap experience. If you want to kill the bowl in one big hit you can time/count past the click with a lighter the same as you would with an IH or counting flashing lights or whatever. They help when heating in the wind if you're using outdoors but then they're hardly portable for the kind of outdoor things I do that merit bringing along a vapcap. However, if arthritis is a thing for you or you just don't have a great deal of manual dexterity its probably the move.

This is a board of people who are vape aficionado's. I have vapes I like more than my vapcap (but they also cost a loooot more). If you were to plot this as like a diminishing returns curve the Vapcap is getting you 70-80% of what a vape that costs hundreds more does in terms of flavor--there are considerations like convenience, ease of temp stepping, bowl size, and et cet that matter more, but you don't have to be worried about starting with a dynavap or plotting a next purchase anytime soon. I don't often use my Dynavap M anymore, but everytime I do I'm reminded that if for some reason I couldn't keep any of my other vapes I would be just fine.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
ease of temp stepping
forsooth!

Sensible counterpoint otherwise. Especially with that budget I just hate seeing folks end up with all those vapcap quirks (e.g. draw resistance, reheating every hit, lighters/IHs, no real temp control, etc.) right out of the gate when they can have better vapor quality literally at the touch of a button.

gordontreeman

forsooth!

Sensible counterpoint otherwise. Especially with that budget I just hate seeing folks end up with all those vapcap quirks (e.g. draw resistance, reheating every hit, lighters/IHs, no real temp control, etc.) right out of the gate when they can have better vapor quality literally at the touch of a button.
Yeah usually I agree. Mainly for me by the time you add in the cost of most induction heaters to a vapcap you’re close enough to a tinymight that it’s a hard sell for me. But I am fortunate to have a lot more discretionary income than I did when I was younger, and that might not be everyone’s situation. Plus the current sales on a dynavap starter kit and wand do bring it in well under the tinymight’s (recently increased, I guess?) price point. In this case there are enough mitigating factors regarding tolerance and such that I think the op will be very happy with a dyna. If we end up chanting “one of us, one of us” because they love it enough to want to see what else is out there that is on them 😄

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Skip the wand at least.
Yeah, this is my experience too. I have a good technique with my torch on the vapcap and I have never seen the same results with an IH. I also see folks hitting the Anvil with an IH and that seems like using a hammer to drive a screw.

Anyway, vapcaps are a fine cheap starter. It's my least favorite torch-driven device but it's flexible and can surprise you. Although if one has the means, I see no reason not to pick the TM as a first vape.

dillgaff1

Last year, after doing some research, and failing to get either a P80 or FW7, grabbed one of the last TM's with the "old board" w/o SN, have never regretted my decision, fantastic quality!

Last edited:

TheThriftDrifter

That's great that you got a kit, everything you need to get going. :spliff:
One of the reasons I went with a dynavap as my first vape, was because if it got confiscated(illegal here too) it wouldn't be a huge loss, plus easy to conceal a small lighter and DV.

Most of my vaping is done out on my porch, but wind and lighters don't play that well together, so a portable induction heater was an absolute game changer for me.

TheThriftDrifter,

gordontreeman

@fkabravo I personally think holding off on an ih is wise in general, but it’s something to consider if spinning the dyna is a pain. An alternative might be the Simrell fmv. It’s a copper sleeve you put around the cap that acts as a heat sink. It removes the need to spin, but it also is designed to get the vapcap hot enough to kill a bowl in a single hit or two. Whether that is a pro or con depends on your tolerance!

gordontreeman,
Top Bottom