Firewood Vaporizer

dopse

A few comments regarding inconsistencies...

One source of inconsistency is the normal variation of the electrical components. To deal with this I do a calibration on each unit, but that calibration isn't perfect so there is some variation. For fw4 I have come up with a new way to do the calibration that should theoretically give much better results and just finished building a programming/calibration/test interface unit that will enable this much improved calibration. Initial results are promising so i think this will make a significant difference.

The switch to 18650s and higher power should also help. The fw4 heater is more capable of keeping up with faster draw speeds, so you won't get users on one hand who draw slowly and get great consistent results and users on the other hand that like to draw faster and get less consistent results (maybe the faster technique works on a full charge but not low for example).

btw, the higher power is also seeming to improve draw restriction on my development unit. I think the main source of draw restriction (probably for any vape) is when some of the vapors condense right away on the downstream herbs and screen area. You might also get some oils migrating to that area without ever vaporizing. The result is an oily clumpy area right behind the screen that reduces airflow. Higher power can help reduce this because you can't make the mistake of drawing too fast, which causes the temp to drop too much, making the problem worse.

I am sold! Where do I sign up for the waiting list? :D

This update in the calibration process alone justifies the wait for the FW4. I officially declare my search for my Arizer Air replacement to be completed. If the FW4 is going to live up to all of the promises while being consistent from unit to unit, I see it being the most sought-after vape this year once it has been released. Every single point of criticism mentioned in this thread would no longer exist. I would really appreciate if you kept us informed about the progress you are making.

CarrotWarrior

Really excited for this to kick off and @firewood hope you take your time with everything and don't feel so pressured with the release... As I heard you were confident about releasing by September.

The FW3 for me has been perfect, Ive got my technique down to where it's comfortable whilst walking but I prefer using it indoors. The efficiency about it has been amazing. I've been using so much less material than my prior years with the flowermate, Mflb ..

Hope the experience simplifies and becomes a lot more consistent I guess from unit to unit as other people have said.. I'm so glad I experienced this before the grasshopper hype.

Also hope there's more accessories and other gorgeous wooden vanities to go along with this one or perhaps a slim case to carry the unit and extra capsules

:tup: cheers fellow firewooders and to Marc @firewood as long as your very happy with the overall product I'm sure everyone else will be :science: also yes please give us updates or more teasers if possible :bowdown:

ren.dnb

Holy shit lol! Can't wait for FW4 now! I've been loving my FW3 for my portable, and still have my FW2.1 laying around just for shits and giggles. Went to the site just to purchase some accessories and saw FW4! Already sold on it... great portable and so far is the only portable I'll use.

Looking forward to the new unit @firewood !

I especially love the switch to 18650 batteries. I use those in my e-cig already. Anyway take your time on it as was stated before. Your vapes kick ass and excited to see what you do with this one.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
This is a perhaps a suggestion that has only aesthetic value (and perhaps only to me) but I've always felt that round head, brass finishing screws, would look 'perttier' than the silver screws currently used to secure the top lid.

What do ya'll think? @firewood ?

41r34eozL0L._AC_UL130_.jpg

Last edited:

CarrotWarrior

:science:My guess is glue @firewood

Also simpler design with fewer parts the fewer the errors/mishaps for warranty. That would be my guess since that was one of major cons of fw3.

It was a very delicate piece and that top lid covering he batteries had many people experiencing technicals.

Hope you can send us a preview image or other details. Cheers Marc. Everyone have a great start of the week :sherlock:

perennialflare

This is exciting! My FW3 works perfect and looks prettier every time I use it, plus I have a Jan '16 grasshopper preorder, so I definitely won't be picking another portable up anytime soon, but I can't help but get hype for the changes and upgrades of the next model. I hope whoever on here ends up buying one right at release will post videos and such.

btka

Just picked up a firewood 3 here in the UK, taking a bit of getting used to after my Mighty, 2 days in and i am finding it a bit hit or miss.
one advise for constncy I can give you is draw on the fw3 (aka primer puff) ... remove mouthpiece ... look at the oven... when it beginns to glow... insert mouthpiece and take a nice hit... also there is a hack to raise your temps... it is so ewhere mentioned in this thread ... maybe your fw3 is running cool...

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
bobknocker said:
Just picked up a firewood 3 here in the UK, taking a bit of getting used to after my Mighty, 2 days in and i am finding it a bit hit or miss.

one advise for constncy I can give you is draw on the fw3 (aka primer puff) ... remove mouthpiece ... look at the oven... when it beginns to glow... insert mouthpiece and take a nice hit... also there is a hack to raise your temps... it is so ewhere mentioned in this thread ... maybe your fw3 is running cool...

Check this out: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/firewood-vaporizer.9306/page-68#post-893428

thanks for the info, doing the primer pull and tuned it to 4 clicks, seem to get the best results if i start every pull quite hard then ease off as i go

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Does anyone know how long the coil is meant to keep glowing after you finish a hit?

Mine stays red a good 20 seconds after i finish a hit. This seems a lot of wasted energy.

I also seem to be getting around 4 capsules per charge instead of 6 like i used to, so wondering if it could be playing up, or it was always like that and i never noticed.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Does anyone know how long the coil is meant to keep glowing after you finish a hit?

Mine stays red a good 20 seconds after i finish a hit. This seems a lot of wasted energy.

I also seem to be getting around 4 capsules per charge instead of 6 like i used to, so wondering if it could be playing up, or it was always like that and i never noticed.
I don't use my FW3 much lately, however I have had instances in the past where the coil would do it's initial heat up and would not go out. I had to take the batteries out to turn it off I think. It sounds like your device has a short or something that is causing the coil to stay hot.

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
@nosmoking yeah I suspected something like that.

I was also wondering if there is a 'reset to factory' function, but I guess removing the batteries is the ultimate reset. I think I will do that tonight, and refresh the batteries in my external charger while I am at it.

Fw3 still working like a champ, though, and if removing the batteries doesn't fix it (assuming this is actually unusual behaviour) then I know I can use it for quicker sessions without the need for a primer puff each hit.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
If you changed the heater settings you can reset them but I am not sure if this will help your issue at all. Just in case, here is a reminder hiw to do it.

Turn on FW3 and wait for battery feedback. Push button 8 times and wait for 8 repeating vibrations. Push 5 more times and wait for 5 repeating vibrations. Now you have the device in heat setting mode. Push 8 times to reset the heat setting. Unit should turn off. It may give 8 vibrations first but I cannot remember.

Not sure if the firewood 4 design is all finished, and this feature might already be included But, i think a good addition would be for it to tell you how much battery is left when you switch it off as well as switch it on as i like to check what is left which means switching it off on off just to find out what is left

firewood

Manufacturer
tell you how much battery is left when you switch it off
I'll definitely consider this. It shouldn't be too hard to add.

I have a few questions for anybody who has an opinion - when we talk about swappable batteries vs. user-replaceable, we are basically talking about how long it takes to change the batteries... so what do people consider a max amount of time it would take to swap a battery for it to be considered "swappable"? If you put the vape on a table with a battery in it and another battery next to it on the table, then you quickly change the battery, how long do you think it should take? Does anybody have any battery-swappable vapes that they can try this test on?

Top Bottom