Firewood Vaporizer

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Gimme a break! :) I'm just finishing up the initial waitlist now.
You're good, I will use my DIY solution. You can have all the breaks, all the work you've done on this device is appreciated and I don't expect you to get to minor accessories for a while.
There isn't an amount of pressure that is too much pressure to apply to the heater then is there? I was just afraid of pressing too hard sometimes to ensure it's sealed. Just don't want another broken unit.

I don't think I could go that long without talking about and showing off this piece.

Last edited:

Mr Mellish

Last night, I had an unexpectedly easy time to use all of the Firewoods. It dawned on me this morning that this was an opportunity to compare the ABV from each. I'd love to post the pic but with imgur blocking and tinypic gone, I just don't feel like signing up for one more service.

The results were somewhat surprising, but not entirely. The FW3 and FW4 ABV was chocolate brown and crispy. If you had suggested that the FW5 would be nearly as dark, I would have called you a prevaricator and a fabulist...but it nearly was. Most notable is that the ABV from the FW5 was the only batch that clearly had a hot spot in it, with some small, nearly charred bits. The output from the FW6 was a dull green but was just as crunchy as the others.

My good friend @M0J0 was not sold on the FW6 but then sent it in for tweaking. He has been raving about it ever since. He believes, despite the light browning, that the load is getting fully extracted anyway and suggested I throw the dull green ABV into a different vape and see if I can get anymore out of it. Good idea but, unfortunately, I forgot about it when I was taking my pictures this morning.

firewood

Manufacturer
There isn't an amount of pressure that is too much pressure to apply to the heater then is there? I was just afraid of pressing too hard sometimes to ensure it's sealed. Just don't want another broken unit.
I'm sure you could push hard enough to break it if you tried but I don't think that will happen during normal use. You never know though... it is hard to know exactly how hard people will push. You shouldn't need too much pressure to create a good seal. I think it is more important that the heater sits flush against the bowl that they are aligned right and that they are about the same size. I tried it with a simple home made jar bubbler and used a 14mm female joint as the bowl with a screen in the bottom. The fw6 matches up to the top of the glass joint well enough and it worked suprisingly well.

Easywider

Simple is the way
This little guy just arrived with some stinky friends. Time to start my day.
32-D72747-9-ED3-4-D7-D-917-A-C2-F26-A0-C9-B00.jpg

Brewervapesalot

Enjoying both FW5 and FW6. But also reached for my usual daily driver, herbalizer, and after a week of FW5 and FW6, so anyone purchasing keep in mind that nice plug in units cant be beat by portables in terms of vapor production. Just depends whether u want portability or biggest clouds, etc.

Easywider

Simple is the way
First bowl just transported me back in time to my FW4. Forgot how unique and tasty these are. Super fun to load from the dugout it can be a bit challenging to load the bowl directly from a grinder without a scoop of sorts.

This was 5 draws, no stir on max temp. Some draw technique required but much more forgiving then my experience with FW4.

78-C9-A873-35-CD-4-D63-9-B00-30-EC7-BA5-D9-A9.jpg

ED5541-A3-2-BBA-422-D-84-D5-21730-FFB3249.jpg

Time to try some flavor settings. :science:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
First bowl just transported me back in time to my FW4. Forgot how unique and tasty these are. Super fun to load from the dugout it can be a bit challenging to load the bowl directly from a grinder without a scoop of sorts.

This was 5 draws, no stir on max temp. Some draw technique required but much more forgiving then my experience with FW4.

78-C9-A873-35-CD-4-D63-9-B00-30-EC7-BA5-D9-A9.jpg

ED5541-A3-2-BBA-422-D-84-D5-21730-FFB3249.jpg

Time to try some flavor settings. :science:
That’s some nice , even , roasting @Easywider ! And you’ve just received it , looking forward to read more once acquainted.
Congratulations on your new FW6

Sativapo

You can also bend the grinder and push it right in the bowl area with the tool/lid.

If you stirr once or twice and do 3 or 4 more very slaw long draws at max temp ( a bit fast at the beginning to suck it down compact and get passed the buzz alarm) it will get even dark chocolate.

shredder

As I've posted I've been experimenting with different screens. First a basket screen with the basket bottom on the bowl bottom, then I inverted it so the basket bottom faces up.

I started on this because I kept clogging up screens in only two bowls.

Both basket screen positions seemed to me better than the stock screen. Like it made for more convection. I prefer the basket screen with the basket bottom facing up.

After a few bowls, with a reduced bowl size, I trimmed the basket screen down to about 3/16-1/4" tall. When it's in place the bowl now holds .08 to .09 gr. More I guess when I add more herb mid session. And I usually do.

My FW6 really acts different now. Faster vapor, better hits, cooler vapor.

I think it's due to mostly the herb being close to the heater, and maybe the extra room under the screen helps cool vapor. Or maybe it's the herb pack being thinner for better air flow, or less restriction.

Whatever the difference is, I like it, and would encourage others to experiment with different screens to see for yourselves.

I did try a basket screen with the metal lip. It works, pretty well actually, but it throws off, the off position on the slide switch, and I abandoned that idea.

Last edited:

NOLOGO

As I've posted I've been experimenting with different screens. First a basket screen with the basket bottom on the bowl bottom, then I inverted it so the basket bottom faces up.

I started on this because I kept clogging up screens in only two bowls.

Both basket screen positions seemed to me better than the stock screen. Like it made for more convection. I prefer the basket screen with the basket bottom facing up.

After a few bowls, with a reduced bowl size, I trimmed the basket screen down to about 3/16-1/4" tall. When it's in place the bowl now holds .08 to .09 gr. More I guess when I add more herb mid session. And I usually do.

My FW6 really acts different now. Faster vapor, better hits, cooler vapor.

I think it's due to mostly the herb being close to the heater, and maybe the extra room under the screen helps cool vapor. Or maybe it's the herb pack being thinner for better air flow, or less restriction.

Whatever the difference is, I like it, and would encourage others to experiment with different screens to see for yourselves.

I did try a basket screen with the metal lip. It works, pretty well actually, but it throws off the off position, on the slide switch, and I abandoned that idea.
I can confirm that I've had similar results. In fact I just bought a few sheets of 100mesh (150micron) screen and a 3/8" hole punch, both of which arrived moments ago. I punched a screen and seated it down where the stock screen sits. I may begin shaping my own baskets instead, as I think I had better results with the larger diameter of this mesh that didn't fit all the way down to the bottom of the bowl, which basically acted like a basket screen, minus the higher walls.

I truly think there is something to the finer mesh combined with raising the load closer to the heater. It makes the bowl size closer to that of the fw5. My abv is similar to fw5 now as well.

And the real bonus is, contrary to what common semse might dictate, this finer mesh screen simply does not clog as quickly as the stock does (in my experience). It seems that the smaller holes prevent herb pieces from even being able to get in there in the first place. Then the warm abv just falls out without sticking.

Like @shredder I also recommend people experiment with their screens, and try some 100mesh in there. It worked wonders in my fw5 and appears to be clutch in my fw6 as well!

shredder

I can confirm that I've had similar results. In fact I just bought a few sheets of 100mesh (150micron) screen and a 3/8" hole punch, both of which arrived moments ago. I punched a screen and seated it down where the stock screen sits. I may begin shaping my own baskets instead, as I think I had better results with the larger diameter of this mesh that didn't fit all the way down to the bottom of the bowl, which basically acted like a basket screen, minus the higher walls.

I truly think there is something to the finer mesh combined with raising the load closer to the heater. It makes the bowl size closer to that of the fw5. My abv is similar to fw5 now as well.

And the real bonus is, contrary to what common semse might dictate, this finer mesh screen simply does not clog as quickly as the stock does (in my experience). It seems that the smaller holes prevent herb pieces from even being able to get in there in the first place. Then the warm abv just falls out without sticking.

Like @shredder I also recommend people experiment with their screens, and try some 100mesh in there. It worked wonders in my fw5 and appears to be clutch in my fw6 as well!

The hole size on the screens I'm using is bigger than stock screens. Just to clarify my post.

billyfitz

I thought I'd share my FW5 stirrer, stirring being a necessity and minor PITA for the FW5.

It lets you stir while containing the weed in the chamber, made from a bent bit of paper clip and a wine cork. I scrape around the edge with the cork keeping the contents covered.
X4FHFQS.jpg

The cork could be shortened of course.

I've been off and back on the FW5. While I'm disappointed at the unevenness, and variability of hits, it's still a good unit and the best I have until I'm inspired to something else. (my expectations for evenness and predictability were set by my Grasshopper, before it died)

As for the FW6, I'm tempted as it sounds generally to have improved the FW5's pain points, but from the photos I see here it's only improved for unevenness, not fixed. I really believe the ceramic chamber is a heat-sinking problem, though obviously reduced compared to the FW5's tray.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
I thought I'd share my FW5 stirrer,
X4FHFQS.jpg

The cork could be shortened of course.

I've been off and back on the FW5. While I'm disappointed at the unevenness, and variability of hits, it's still a good unit and the best I have until I'm inspired to something else. (my expectations for evenness and predictability were set by my Grasshopper, before it died)

As for the FW6, I'm tempted as it sounds generally to have improved the FW5's pain points, but from the photos I see here it's only improved for unevenness, not fixed. I really believe the ceramic chamber is a heat-sinking problem, though obviously reduced compared to the FW5's tray.
For anyone whom might not be able to see photo above , hit the reply button .

Way to think outside the box @billyfitz , well done

Brewervapesalot

FW6 vapes much more evenly than FW5. I don't stir FW6 and generally dont think you need to. I don't stir FW5 either, but I could as FW5 cooks the middle of the bowls more than the edges. This gets worse with a dirty bowl because the edges of each bowl are not even (rather they are kinda serrated to keep the screen in place) and catch material and resin really easy.

Sativapo

Yes can confirm too. Very good micro dosing results with the oring stem imp wide cup screens. Faster and bigger clouds.
Finally it gets clogged too fast.I'm trying a more classic basket screen now with good results for now. I'll probably get back to the original screen. As often with these tweakings there should be some drawback in the end too as they don't go through beta testing as the original.

shredder

FW6 vapes much more evenly than FW5. I don't stir FW6 and generally dont think you need to. I don't stir FW5 either, but I could as FW5 cooks the middle of the bowls more than the edges. This gets worse with a dirty bowl because the edges of each bowl are not even (rather they are kinda serrated to keep the screen in place) and catch material and resin really easy.

I agree the FW6 does not need stirring.

But if you do, try adding a little fresh herb from the dug out. It's totally worth it. It brings you some more terpy hits, and extends the session.

Towards the end of the session if you stir you can get a couple more decent rips.

This is a vape that I actually fully cook/roast my herb. Even towards the end the taste to me is like roasted coffee. On most of my other vapes I quit a session quicker because I don't like the taste.

NOLOGO

Has anyone else tried 100 mesh screen yet?
I must reiterate that I am very impressed with it. I know results will probably vary as much as all the variables also vary from person to person/strain to strain, but based on my non-scientific experiments I am comfortable drawing a few conclusions:

100mesh uses smaller diameter wire and also weaves into smaller holes in the screen. BUT there are many more of these tiny holes in this than there are of the larger holes in the stock screen, so airflow is either not negatively affected or actually improved over the stock screen. In my mind, common sense states that smaller holes should get clogged quicker. But they simply don't. Not sure why or how it works this way, but it absolutely does.

I bought a few sheets of this screen and a 3/8" hole punch. If anyone is curious and wants to try 100mesh in their fw6 just send me a DM with your address and I'll mail you a couple to experiment with. I have a bunch of forever stamps and am not worried about postage. :)

Happy Vapesgiving everyone!

edit: I agree with @shredder ...I usually never go for that last hit on my other vapes, but on fw6 it's such a pure taste that I kinda like it. It does remind me of roasted coffee. My other vapes begin to introduce more carbon/burn flavor by that point, and I instead just dump it into my abv collection, but fw6 just tastes of a good clean-roast. And swiping a bit of fresh from the storage chamber into the bowl freshens it up into a super tasty, roasted/terpy last hit which I now look forward to as the last hit of a sesh.

edit 2: I also agree with @Brewervapesalot that the 6 doesn't really need stirring. It gets roasted evenly enough for me. I do have a tiny section that doesn't darken as much as the rest of the bowl, but IME it isn't worth the stir/tamp time, so I just plop a bit from the storage chamber on top and rip it. No stir required

Last edited:

billyfitz

For anyone whom might not be able to see photo above , hit the reply button .

Oh, thanks! Sorry I didn't realize an imgur link wasn't the right way to go.

The FW6 does look a lot better, and looks to me plenty good enough to be happy with; perfection is not required. My bar was set by the Grasshopper - that for all its significant other flaws showed that totally even and incredibly consistent convection is possible. I think things could be improved with lower heat sinking by the chamber, which the ceramic seems to do, obviously much less so than in the 5, but it would probably not make a radical difference to the experience in the end.

Sativapo

The vapor is very noticeably warmer than FW5, which has pretty cool vapor.
I'm keeping up with a classic basket screen ( from glow 14 glass stem) with no drawbacks for the moment and solving the heat accumulation thing as it extracts faster with less material. Even more even with no stirring. My best vaping experience with portables so far.

shredder

I'm keeping up with a classic basket screen ( from glow 14 glass stem) with no drawbacks for the moment and solving the heat accumulation thing as it extracts faster with less material. Even more even with no stirring. My best vaping experience with portables so far.

That's pretty much my experience as well. Faster, cooler, better with a basket screen.

This last week I used my FW6 one day each with the screen included with it, a basket screen bottom up, basket screen bottom down. 5-6 bowls per day, followed with a clean screen, and fresh battery the next day.

I'm preferring basket screen with the bottom up. I'm starting and finishing at 360°F. And getting a great extraction. Nice dark ABV. Instead of upping the temps, I slow my draw. My loads start at .08 to .1 gram, but I add as I go.

Not required but I am stirring, partly curious, and partly because it's so easy.

My sessions seem more relaxing since I have no session timer to keep an eye on. Stretching out a session at a relaxed pace seems somehow empowering. Something I didn't expect.

I use organic herb that I grow. And I'm getting different tastes than I get with my other vapes. My mouth actually feels coated with terpenes during a session. Very tasty.

Trulukkyphrank

I tried the fw5 screen in the fw6, since it's bigger diameter I also formed like a basket(bottom down). I had mixed feelings with the results. The vapor was cooler but had much less taste! I found it very strange so I tried some more bowls with same result, after switching back to the stock screens I can clearly say better taste but also warmer with the stock screen. I stay with the stock screens for the taste!

like @Brewervapesalot I want to see pictures of every upgrade with better results! Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom