Firefly 1, 2, 2+

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
In my experience it's been nearly impossible to get a good extraction without any stir, like ideally whole nug or chunky coarse grind that you can just flip the entire puck, the bottom will start to turn dark brown black even on low temps... So it must be flipped, every two hits or at least once midway... I have some nice buds now and I was thinking about using my FF2+ again but I didn't think to remove the battery all the time it's been sitting so yeah every time I go to use it it needs to be charged up first lol so on top of waiting I'm reminded also though how tedious it has been for me to use getting good extraction good hits good flavor comfortably... And then the cleaning after, I don't know I want to like it like I used to, if they ever make an FF3 I hope it gets some of the original magic back, but also has the capability to fully remove and clean the chamber (perhaps even the heater too) among other things...

budski

cantre member
think I'll get it out of the box and try a hardpacked fine grind from the avlp dose tool with a hole in the middle and a top screen to keep bits outta the mp.
edit; I put temp on 4 (w/out the app) had better results w/a lighter ALP dose tool pack of fine grind with a couple pin/wire holes and a screen, best hits yet out of this thing, definitely a different animal than all my other vapes! Got about the same amount of tasty hits with a hard dense pack while using less.

Last edited:
budski,

R1ng0

think I'll get it out of the box and try a hardpacked fine grind from the avlp dose tool with a hole in the middle and a top screen to keep bits outta the mp.
edit; I put temp on 4 (w/out the app) had better results w/a lighter ALP dose tool pack of fine grind with a couple pin/wire holes and a screen, best hits yet out of this thing, definitely a different animal than all my other vapes! Got about the same amount of tasty hits with a hard dense pack while using less.
It's up to you of course, but I use the BCG steel course plate and it's not combusted since, and I stir every 2-3 hits taste is phenomenal on the wedding cake anyways :) And I have it set to 175c then calibrated to -189 and so far it's ripping just like my FF2 only a longer battery life. Yes I always punch a few holes through it. I find it aids flav and vapour production so a win win.

budski

cantre member
I'll keep it in rotation for a while, don't know if I'll bother downloading the app though but it's an interesting change of pace from my regular daily drivers.

Shit Snacks

That certainly makes it sound like there might be a new model coming... I paid about $100 for the one I got and at that price I think it a worthwhile toy

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: budski

maremaresing

That's a really good price. VAS is telling me to get one and keep it docked on my desk, experience is telling me that I never use my OG FF because of short battery life and difficulty getting a good high temp hit without combusting. I'm pretty content with my vapes at the moment, but wonder if I'm missing out on what the FF2+ has to offer?

im not a robot

That certainly makes it sound like there might be a new model coming...
oh that would be sweet. every once in a while i check prices for the firefly, b/c i suppose i regret selling mine. whenever everything aligned i really enjoyed using it. taste can be so good in it, and this pipe feeling about it just felt right to me. your description of its "quirks" further up the page is accurate though. at some point mine also lost functionality in one of its buttons, then the ios app dissapeared, and eventually i got tired of it all. i only had the FF2, never tried the upgrade and have considered buying a new one many times. i wish they would have omitted the additional firefly light on the + model, cannot really get used to this, and would again buy a 2 over a + version just because of this which is probably dumb.
but a new model could solve all problems?
id also love to try the original firely.

budski

cantre member
That's a really good price. VAS is telling me to get one and keep it docked on my desk, experience is telling me that I never use my OG FF because of short battery life and difficulty getting a good high temp hit without combusting. I'm pretty content with my vapes at the moment, but wonder if I'm missing out on what the FF2+ has to offer?
It's a really cool tasty porch pipe, not so much for the pocket on the go. too fiddly.
Dang. $90 is definitely tempting to come back. Maybe I need to remember the whistle :tup:
no whistle with the FF2+, better airflow, use a screen on top of the bowl to keep the wee bits from clogging the mouthpiece.
ps faster heat up than my tm2 but slower draw.

Last edited:

budski

cantre member
dam you VAS, I was thinking about a back up in jet black or blue (I have zebra), but the proprietary battery is a thing and I just bought a wand and Helix tip.

budski,

Shit Snacks

Alright I just used mine again finally since I have some nice herbs with this clementine that is fresh tasting moist sticky dense big buds... It just isn't the same as it used to be with OG, despite the temp control, which may be a variable I didn't need after all lol but I try to use it pretty low, and it can be pretty rewarding tasty vapor wise, uplifting effects too, yet still easier to then crumble used nugs and finish them in something else ultimately...

R1ng0

I used to want one of these a lot. I skipped it due to various reasons. It's not really my style of device these days either. But $90 is a pretty great deal. Still making up my mind...
Haha had to get one bit the bullet and grabbed the gold. I love it all it's a ritual grind it finger pick pack and stir you can combust it just takes practice I have mine now @ FF2 original @ 185 calibrated 100% the middle works great. The oak top one FF2 + is at 175 calibration backed right off. The gold one ill have to wait and see my point is each unit is individual and I don't find it a messy vape at all. when I compare it to cleaning the IQ2 this is by far the easiest vape to clean. And the cleanest airpath but that's just my opinion. I have lots of vapes but nothing hits like a clean fresh bowl in one of these, yeah it's a ritual take your time with it and enjoy it it completely extracts better then any conduction vape does and it's not like trying to suck cement through a straw my experience with the IQ2 was.
The air vape not tasty enough, the tiny might 2 over rated not a fan of the plastic in the mighty or crafty so replaced both with steel tops. It improved it a lot but for me this is my goto now. And I have 3 so running out of batt won't be an issue. Yeah they should redesign if with a 18650 removable batt, but apart from that I'd say they have it spot on.
Horses for courses peace : ✌️

simba

@weedanwine
I also wanted this vape for a while and never went for it. Then I had a friend's for a while and whilst it's got great vapour and it's nice to use. I knew long term I wouldn't be happy with it because of the cleaning of the mouthpiece.

budski

cantre member
I use a screen on top to keep the mouthpiece clear of bits, and poke a couple holes in a loose pack AVLP load, Those 1st couple hits are the tastiest of any device I have. stir after 3-4 hits and get 2-3 more, full extraction. My lung capacity is half of most chronics from a dab overdose many years ago so some of you will get half as many.

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
The only thing that killed the FF2 for me were the lid gaskets ... no matter how careful I tried to be with the ISO it was just a matter of time before they started lifting. I had 4 lids I had it happen to 😔

budski

cantre member
Having read about these gaskets going bad I am extremely careful to always wipe the lid toward the center with an barely ISOed bit of papertowel maybe every 5-10 bowls, always use a debris screen on top and no bits under the gasket or clogging the mouthpiece all the time

Last edited:

budski

cantre member
also I found an extra screen in the bottom of the bowl lets a bit more hot air distribute under the puck for more even burn.

Shit Snacks

Yeah. For $90 it was worth it to me for a toy. I went for Zebra.

Nice! That is a pretty one, for fake wood haha I like my light blue the best (lucky to get it brand new cheap second hand) but that is an easy second favorite I think...

also I found an extra screen in the bottom of the bowl lets a bit more hot air distribute under the puck for more even burn.

Oh yeah there was a really annoying bottom screen system with the original if I recall correctly? It would be interesting to have a flat dome upside down in there for that reason here, also help protect the seams from getting crumbs in there stuck...

Honestly I would love it if the bowl section is removable and cleanable, a better mouthpiece too for that, the plastic not as nice as the metal was and nub a little annoying now... I never want to use more ground up in mine to help keep it as pristine as I can inside there for as long as I can lol

ondemander

My sister got me a new strain today, the Soap. It smells dank and slightly fruity. It turns out it tastes like Blue Dream. Anyhow I immediately I automatically reach for my FF2+ without even thinking about it. I have every vape you can think of so this means this is probably my favorite strain taster. I also love the Hopper IO, Lotus, RBT, Lamart, and various Dynavaps etc. but the FF2+ wins the reach test when I get a new strain.

So I already use the concave screens on top of my bowl to add a very slight conduction element and it helps keep the bowl organized and lid cleaner. I broke up the bud by hand this time instead of using my coarse BCG. I always stir every couple hits.

During this particular session I found a new gamechanger:

I used the imitation Old Head scooper's tamping tool. Before I restirred I used the heavy tamper to smush down the dried out bud bits and which has a Cali Crusher effect further unlocking fresh unvaped terps. A little stir unsmushes the tamped down mess. Any heavy duty tamping tool should work to use this trick. This truly brought out the flavors late into the bowl better than I have ever experienced. It also allows you to fully extract at higher temps if you wish. If you are the type of person who wants the most out of your bud this truly was a gamechanger for me. I plan to try this trick for other vapes also.

Top Bottom