EVOLV Cricket

Just wanted to add, did a very thorough deep clean today, and noticed how degraded the silicon under the trench is. Gummy, black coming off on qtip and my fingers, visibly worn. Surprised it didn’t come with any replacement gaskets.
This is very disconcerting. Is the silicon in the mouthpiece at any risk of flaking off and falling into the chamber and getting burned? I haven't noticed any black flaking so far but I haven't done a deep clean on either of my Crickets.

Big Bud Billy,

80Sixed

This is very disconcerting. Is the silicon in the mouthpiece at any risk of flaking off and falling into the chamber and getting burned? I haven't noticed any black flaking so far but I haven't done a deep clean on either of my Crickets.
The mouthpiece I will say seems fine, which seems, to me, to be because of its distance from product, heat, and alcohol. Whereas the silicon under the chamber is repeatedly heated and cooled rapidly, wiped often, let alone with alcohol. I’ll add as I don’t remember if I did before, that the most degradation is taking place under the wells on the long edges. Seems to see the most friction, most temp fluctuation, and most solvent. That being said, I have had black smear from the silicon piece that hold the bottom of the glass vapor path in place.

The mouthpiece I will say seems fine, which seems, to me, to be because of its distance from product, heat, and alcohol. Whereas the silicon under the chamber is repeatedly heated and cooled rapidly, wiped often, let alone with alcohol. I’ll add as I don’t remember if I did before, that the most degradation is taking place under the wells on the long edges. Seems to see the most friction, most temp fluctuation, and most solvent. That being said, I have had black smear from the silicon piece that hold the bottom of the glass vapor path in place.
This seems like a fix is needed urgently especially since many may be using this as a medical device like myself. I hope Evolv is listening here and comes up with a solution and fix. I appreciate your candid feedback.

biohacker

The mouthpiece I will say seems fine, which seems, to me, to be because of its distance from product, heat, and alcohol. Whereas the silicon under the chamber is repeatedly heated and cooled rapidly, wiped often, let alone with alcohol. I’ll add as I don’t remember if I did before, that the most degradation is taking place under the wells on the long edges. Seems to see the most friction, most temp fluctuation, and most solvent.

This was 100% my experience as well. They need to get better silicone.

biohacker,
Reactions: 80Sixed

Smknbud

Just wanted to add, did a very thorough deep clean today, and noticed how degraded the silicon under the trench is. Gummy, black coming off on qtip and my fingers, visibly worn. Surprised it didn’t come with any replacement gaskets.
I see others have stated they have seen this but not the case so far with my Cricket. I guess I should ad that it doesn't see heavy usage.

Smknbud,
Reactions: BigJr48

biohacker

I see others have stated they have seen this but not the case so far with my Cricket. I guess I should ad that it doesn't see heavy usage.

I think I actually only saw it with my Retail version, not my 2 blem. However, all of them saw heavy usage. My favourite experience was with the Retail, which also had a stronger magnet.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Anyone have any tips on getting the rubber insert in the tip of the mouthpiece back in? First true deep cleaning, putting the rubber back in the tip it’s buckling out like it’s too large for the space and I can’t get it to sit down or get the chimney in to hold it. This is the least retail ready product ever, exposed coils are more retail ready.

But…I just want it back together because it tastes so good!

80Sixed

Anyone have any tips on getting the rubber insert in the tip of the mouthpiece back in? First true deep cleaning, putting the rubber back in the tip it’s buckling out like it’s too large for the space and I can’t get it to sit down or get the chimney in to hold it. This is the least retail ready product ever, exposed coils are more retail ready.

But…I just want it back together because it tastes so good!
Shoving it down WITH the glass is the only way I ever get it in place

80Sixed,
Reactions: Timps27

Timps27

Got it eventually, thank you for input! As I say though, this device is just not suited for an off the shelf retail customer.

Timps27,

Smknbud

If you're trying to put the glass and silicone in together, start with just the silicone.

Fold it together as it should be and it goes in either direction. Then insert the glass afterwards.
This is the way I do it also. I find removal of the silicone more of a pain than re-installing it to be honest.

Pinehurst

Anyone sold thier unit yet? Just curious if anyone got it and didn't like it.

I love* the thing BUT it give me a different effect or high, kinda like a half hearted dab feeling that doesn't even stick around that long. I have to rip about 5 sessions to get medicated. I've got my load size and temps dialed in, its just a weird device.

Pinehurst,
  • Love

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
Anyone sold thier unit yet? Just curious if anyone got it and didn't like it.

I love* the thing BUT it give me a different effect or high, kinda like a half hearted dab feeling that doesn't even stick around that long. I have to rip about 5 sessions to get medicated. I've got my load size and temps dialed in, its just a weird device.
That hasn’t been my experience at all. I just got some fresh rosin and used the tiniest little amount and it sent me to space. I don’t even think about other concentrate vapes anymore.

Pinehurst

That hasn’t been my experience at all. I just got some fresh rosin and used the tiniest little amount and it sent me to space. I don’t even think about other concentrate vapes anymore.
Let me ask you this, when inhaling do you do a MTL or DTL and do you worry about clogging the chimney?

I thought maybe I'm being a little weak on the inhale, I got it a little softer than I would a Pax if that means anything

Pinehurst,

Smknbud

Let me ask you this, when inhaling do you do a MTL or DTL and do you worry about clogging the chimney?

I thought maybe I'm being a little weak on the inhale, I got it a little softer than I would a Pax if that means anything
I'm Direct To Lung. I do the bb size load and pre-melt and the chimney stays generally clear but still needs cleaning after awhile.

I get great results with the Cricket. On par or better than my Switch and Peak Pro through water with less material used.....a lot less.

Pcloudy

I got rid of my switch after getting a cricket. I did purchase a dab rig set up to play around with sic cups and the new convector by camouflet though.

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’

Very small dab size, preheat at 190, cap on and do a five second heat up to 535. I do an extremely light and gentle inhale for a DTL hit. I get nice thick clouds this way and I still don’t know how the Cricket keeps the vapor so cool coming out of such a short air path. It’s like magic.

0hnoM

Fantastic product. A small learning curve but once you figure it out, this thing smacks.

I came from Grow Sciences LR carts, which are not distillate based so they are super potent with a deep longer lasting high than other carts. With that, my tolerance went up drastically and I already had a high tolerance as I would dab 20+ times a day normally.

I was tired of dabbing as frankly heating up a rig or hitting one got old.

Either way, I thought carts were the answer and they were, for a bit cause if you get good ones, they smack and they are easy to work with.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago I find this thing after some research and although I was hesitant, mainly because of the price tag the "made in the USA" and the fact one of the people from Evolv reached out to me within an hour after I submitted a question, via phone and we had a great convo for 15 mins made me pull the trigger.

I am glad I did.

The way to use this thing is pretty simple. Small loads, premelt (cap off) 200F) don't melt all the way just enough to make it stick. Cap on - start preheating and when you are about 150F off your target temp (I use 560) starting hitting it very lightly. That last part, is the one that is where most will struggle. This is the equivalent of a deep breathe, not like hitting any other device where you are trying to get every last oz of vapor out of the chamber. Just a light, even draw deep into the lungs. The prehit- while it is preheating gives you another 2 seconds (I moved heat time to 5 seconds instead of 2) and results in fat clouds off minimal product and there is still reclaim which you can wipe up.

I don't suggest smoking the reclaim, unless you like headaches.

Either way, this is a quality made in the USA product and should be revered to be honest. Not sure why it is not more popular.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Fantastic product. A small learning curve but once you figure it out, this thing smacks.

I came from Grow Sciences LR carts, which are not distillate based so they are super potent with a deep longer lasting high than other carts. With that, my tolerance went up drastically and I already had a high tolerance as I would dab 20+ times a day normally.

I was tired of dabbing as frankly heating up a rig or hitting one got old.

Either way, I thought carts were the answer and they were, for a bit cause if you get good ones, they smack and they are easy to work with.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago I find this thing after some research and although I was hesitant, mainly because of the price tag the "made in the USA" and the fact one of the people from Evolv reached out to me within an hour after I submitted a question, via phone and we had a great convo for 15 mins made me pull the trigger.

I am glad I did.

The way to use this thing is pretty simple. Small loads, premelt (cap off) 200F) don't melt all the way just enough to make it stick. Cap on - start preheating and when you are about 150F off your target temp (I use 560) starting hitting it very lightly. That last part, is the one that is where most will struggle. This is the equivalent of a deep breathe, not like hitting any other device where you are trying to get every last oz of vapor out of the chamber. Just a light, even draw deep into the lungs. The prehit- while it is preheating gives you another 2 seconds (I moved heat time to 5 seconds instead of 2) and results in fat clouds off minimal product and there is still reclaim which you can wipe up.

I don't suggest smoking the reclaim, unless you like headaches.

Either way, this is a quality made in the USA product and should be revered to be honest. Not sure why it is not more popular.

Very well said.
I'm glad you are enjoying your unit !
It's a great device for portability I must say.
Hard to beat it.
Why it's not more popular is probably concerning the price tag primarily, and, the fact that it doesn't make you cough your ass off on one hit leading to a huge headrush etc.
That said, it gets me VERY medicated quite quickly.
I guess people don't like to load as u go, preparing small loads so often.
As far as this silicone discussion goes, thing is, folks, that silicone does not stand up to isopropyl or ethanol very well.
That's just a fact.
Replacement gaskets ARE available.
Just know that if you use solvents to clean the silicone parts, you will end up wanting to replace your gaskets sooner than later.
Hooray for the Cricket !
It's been a long time coming.
Years ago, Evolv said they would 'never' serve the cannabis oil community. Heh.
Then they came out wiht this beauty, right after adding 'session mode' (autofire) to their DNA boards firmware.
Good job, Evolv !
I've been enjoying Evolv stuff for many years via their DNA boards, second to none in performance and accurate temp control !
I go between my Cricket and my V5. I don't use anytihng else for cannabis oil. With those, there's no need to use anytihng else !
Cheers !

Timps27

Just toasted a night cap of Grow Science: Weekend At Gary’s live rosin in Cricks to @0hnoM , cheers mate!

Timps27,
Reactions: Smknbud

Smknbud

Why it's not more popular is probably concerning the price tag primarily, and, the fact that it doesn't make you cough your ass off on one hit leading to a huge headrush etc.
That said, it gets me VERY medicated quite quickly.
I guess people don't like to load as u go, preparing small loads so often.
As far as this silicone discussion goes, thing is, folks, that silicone does not stand up to isopropyl or ethanol very well.
That's just a fact.
Replacement gaskets ARE available.
Just know that if you use solvents to clean the silicone parts, you will end up wanting to replace your gaskets sooner than later.
Hooray for the Cricket !

I agree that price ($399) probably holds people back. I was motivated to purchase because of the blem price being $150 cheaper. Very happy I got on board with the Cricket.

Good to know they have replacement gaskets. Surprised they don't include it with the bucket replacement kit part. I use medical grade iso with a q-tip for cleaning it but as sparingly as I can.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
The other thing to keep in mind regarding silicone gaskets and such is, some terpenes are very caustic.
Know what you're vaping. Know what's in your oil. Some of these terpenes that are added after the fact can seriously erode silicone.
I remember once a friend left some oil he had added some terps to into a plastic (ugh) dab container.
The plastic MELTED over night.
I'll have to ask him which terpene he used that time, as I cannot remember.
The thing to take away from this is.... try your best to vape only PURE oil, with its NATURAL terpene profile.
The need to add terpenes usually comes thru using CO2 oil, or distillate, where the 'natural' taste is quite off-putting.
That could be why some users report silicone degradation while others do not.
Pressed flower, aka rosin, is your best bet at getting oil with no additives.
I'd also like to add that although no official test has said so, the terps that can melt plastic are most likely not so good for your lung tissue, just my guess.
Vape safely, folks !

DJ Colonel Corn,
Top Bottom