EVOLV Cricket

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I've only had my Cricket for a couple of days, and I have LOTS of thoughts, but I'm working all weekend and too busy to comment much yet. The cap is too loose but not terrible. The airflow needed to be fixed (too open). The cap on/off sensor gets confused occasionally.

I did discover this great way to clean the chimney glass...

Oral -B Superfloss. The link takes you to Amazon where you can get a pack of 50 of the non-mint flavored flosses for $5.

It works perfectly unless you've managed to completely clog up the glass tube. It will probably work then as well, it will just take a couple of them with fresh iso dunks (of the floss, not the mouthpiece). The floss is three parts. One end is hard plastic that's springy and maybe 36 gauge. The middle part of the floss is this circular mesh that gets thicker and thinner as you loosen and tighten your grip on the ends of the floss. The other end is just regular floss material.

You don't have to remove the chimney or glass from the cap. Just thread the springy end through the glass tube and hold both ends of the piece of floss and pull the circular mesh part back and forth in the glass tube. I soak the mesh in 99% Iso and it's fine (haven't tried ethanol so I don't know if the mesh material is OK with it). Scrubs the inside and makes the glass chimney sparkle like new.

52784527406_7d38c1886f_b_d.jpg

52784922635_481555d693_b_d.jpg

Finally got to test this GREAT suggestion. I had the OralB SuperFloss from years ago.
I’ve been managing to keep the GLASS chimney clean by not over loading and minimum draw strength. I could see some resin buildup now, so tied one end of the long floss string to a fixed object. Then held tight, dragged my ethanol container along the string, soaking the entire length. Push the plastic tip end through the chimney left inside the top cap. One end held by fixed object, the other end in my hand, dragged the cap back and forth. Chimney CLEAN! Doesn’t take as long as it did to write this. Biggest benefit…. less handling of the fragile glass chimney……

EXCELLENT SOLUTION @Haywood

Jtlong

RIght on
I will say I still love my V5.
However, the Cricket has been my main daily driver for most of the 3 months that I've had it.
I do occaisonal home hits on the V5. For visiting friends, or, going out into nature, I pack the Cricket.

I need to add though, that my sensitivity to extracts has gone up tremendously this year, so the Cricket is super handy for small occasional hits.
I say this because, of course, with the V5 and a good mod one can get many more uses out of 1 battery charge.
These days I don't use extracts every 30 miinutes, nor can I handle huge lung busters.
So the Cricket is perfect for me and where I'm "at" with my extract intake.
Also, the Cricket makes a tiny dab create lots of vapor.

Not to menion the incredible job Evolv has done with making an extremely short vapor path that is so cool and tasty.
Yep they've done a fantastic job with this.
I've used Evolv DNA mods for nicotine delivery and concentrate atomizers for many years. Good to see that they've branched so impressively into the concentrate market !

By the way, you can still get "blemished" units (which, so far, have not come blemished hardly at all) for $250.

:) :p :D
I’ve been bouncing back and forth between getting the proxy, and the cricket. I’m leaning more cricket… it just seems so much more portable, and quicker sessions.

Jtlong,

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
It is definitely more portable than a Proxy, but be aware you probably don’t want just toss it in your pocket and go. It’s still going to need a couple qtips and an alcohol wipe thrown in. And the flavor cannot be matched, I have a Proxy on the way so maybe I’ll eat those words but I would be genuinely shocked.

Timps27,
Reactions: florduh

RustyOldNail

RustyOldNail,

Timps27

I think the on board tool is one of the high points, actually. Form and function I don‘t think I’ve seen a better deployment for a micro scoop save the Puffco Plus scoop/cap combo. On your inspiration I went down a minor Amazon rabbit hole on the tiny spoons and got some similar ones in a deco I liked; you were right they are good! The ones I got have a pronounced bend in the neck, rolls out little BB’s nicely.

Pinehurst

My every day dab tool is the same size as the ones @RustyOldNail posted from Amazon so I guess its what Im used to. The onboard tool is definitely usable but it could better for the sake of portion control.

To me this tool is kinda like the one that comes with the Puffco Peak, it always felt like they designed that tool so people could take the biggest dabs possible. I just think they could have machine down the tool a little bit so that we could take the smallest dabs possible. But here I am picking apart probably the most amazing device I've received and at least three or four years so take it with a grain of salt I guess.

Pinehurst,

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
I love the included tool. Perhaps the standout feature of the unit. Well, along with the quick heat up, great taste, and shockingly cool vapor from such a short air path. And general build quality and Evolv support.

Monk Debate,
Reactions: Easywider

RustyOldNail

Mine lands today!:cool:

To do one of your “water rig” videos, all you need is a “DabCap Adapter” (available on many sites), and an upright bubbler. The 14mm DT “Hubble Bubbler” works well! Though you do need to press hold the Cricket to the rig, the DabCap fits the Cricket MP perfectly. Enjoy!

Pinehurst

Hey guys, how leak proof are the little pods, both while in the device and in the tube? I've got some sugars and badders that can get runny but normal containers do just fine. Any experiences?

I really do love this thing. Battery is meh but charges quickly. Also, doubt I'll really ever medicate this much as while testing it out 🫠

Pinehurst,
Reactions: Shrike

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
I have a few different consistencies of concentrates here and none have ever leaked out of the built in container. None of them are as runny as oil though.

Haywood,

Pinehurst

I do wish they made the tool a lot smaller. I kinda feel like they didn't research that part of it and just went to the corner headshop and bought a generic dab tool for reference.

I think the on board tool is one of the high points, actually. Form and function I don‘t think I’ve seen a better deployment for a micro scoop save the Puffco Plus scoop/cap combo. On your inspiration I went down a minor Amazon rabbit hole on the tiny spoons and got some similar ones in a deco I liked; you were right they are good! The ones I got have a pronounced bend in the neck, rolls out little BB’s nicely.
I EAT CROW!! I WAS 100% WRONG ABOUT THIS. After using this for a few days, the tool really is VERY well designed.

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
I don't do MTL, I just draw very lightly and slowly, and the vapor is still exceedingly cool with the Cricket. I'm really not sure what the mechanism is. With the DT v4 I had to do MTL and even then it was harsh.

Monk Debate,
Reactions: florduh

Pinehurst

I don't do MTL, I just draw very lightly and slowly, and the vapor is still exceedingly cool with the Cricket. I'm really not sure what the mechanism is. With the DT v4 I had to do MTL and even then it was harsh.
This is the first MTL dab I've ever had and I just realized thats what I was doing. But my wax pen experience is limited to Sia and always with a bottomless banger. I can't imagine doing a hot MTL dab, oof.

I'm loving this darn thing. I kinda need Evolv to do a dry herb vape now 🙏🙏🙏

80Sixed

Gotta say, for all the flack I gave and give this thing, I still use it regularly.

Still wishing for a redesigned trench to keep from catching qtip fibers, but also it’d be awesome if it was a ceramic plated well.

I’m also still wishing for the concentrate container to be a better material for storing wax. It just dries out so quickly in silicon, which I think informs the broscience view of “silicon steals your terpenes.”

All that said, just to reiterate, this is my daily driver while out and about. Still have qualms, and still doesn’t get used over the core 2.0, or the Frankenstein bride disaster that is my pockety/puffco rig, but used quite a bit nonetheless. If the v5 was slightly less harsh I think there’d be no competition, but as it stands, the cricket is the overly expensive better version of the v5.

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
Have you ever dabbed off a Terp Slurper?
I just don't see the current connoisseur market really resonating with metal vapor surfaces. Even the better prefilled cartridges are doing away with metal contacting the oil. Plus there's already another Evolv powered concentrate device (MVS) which uses ceramic crucibles.

At the end of the day it's still a load-as-you-go device, which makes it more of a home-portable than something I would actually carry around in my pocket.

In my experience the brainless-simple crowd isn't really the connoisseur market and is far more likely to just buy the live rosin pod for $40.

It seems like somewhat of an emulation of a round bottom banger.

But I can't say the energized trench is necessarily new, basically a temp controlled Muad Dib. Though the Magic Flight used a stainless steel mesh basin rather than a solid titanium one.

magic-flight-muad-dib-vaporizer.jpg
I was re-reading this thread and came across this post. I bought a Muad-Dib the day it was available. Before that I had just used crappy wax pens where you vape straight off a hot coil. Well, the Muad-Dib really wasn't any better. With no temp control I think it just ramped up to max temp every time I pressed the battery. I do think that the trench would glow red hot. Maybe I was meant to pulse the battery or something. Either way, the vapor was harsh and tasted like burnt metal.

In contrast, I just had a hit off the Cricket at 565 that was probably the tastiest concentrate hit I've ever had, with nice thick clouds off a tiny bead of material, and I am blown away at how far we've come.

Timps27

My Proxy may be “cooler”, has a lot more accessories to play with, and if I’m showing off is the one I’ll grab. But when trying to do a fat rip on your new F22 head puts way too much burn in the after burn, there is only one device to reach for to bathe your mouth in terps and make the ick go away. The Cricket, every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

RustyOldNail

Thumbs UP, I assume you liked the flavor. Since your microphone is on, adding your thoughts as you go, might make these vaping videos better? Also need a close-up of material if you want the viewer to see the size of the load. I appreciate you taking the time to make these videos, but since you are making the effort, they could be better…. :)

Top Bottom