• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

EVOLV Cricket

AlphaDeltaF1

Yeah if this does not have to be like q-tipped staying clean taste somehow that would be ideal since the q-tipping ruins everything lol
So, correct me if I’m wrong but we only q-tip after each dab to reduce the chance of carbonizing material on to the substrate correct ?

It’s impossible to burn / carbonize full melt concentrate with the cricket!

florduh

Yeah if this does not have to be like q-tipped staying clean taste somehow that would be ideal since the q-tipping ruins everything lol

LOL agreed. Though you never HAVE to q-tip. It just helps preserve taste. I wonder, @AlphaDeltaF1 is the temp limited with the cap off or can you do a burn off cap-less?

Given their background, it would be interesting if Evolv made some kind of high end refillable cart/pod type device for cannabis oil. I hate the e-waste aspect of carts.

AlphaDeltaF1

@AlphaDeltaF1[/USER] is the temp limited with the cap off or can you do a burn off cap-less?

Given their background, it would be interesting if Evolv made some kind of high end refillable cart/pod type device for cannabis oil. I hate the e-waste aspect of carts.
the temp is not limited with the cap off, you may go through the full temp range (150-600) cap on or off.

They have an ecig pod device Evolv Reflex that modulates the strength of your hit based on your draw speed (analogous to a combusted cig) that would be pretty cool with some distillate lol

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
So, correct me if I’m wrong but we only q-tip after each dab to reduce the chance of carbonizing material on to the substrate correct ?

It’s impossible to burn / carbonize full melt concentrate with the cricket!

Most if not all of the concentrates I’ve used in various devices always leave behind oil, especially if low temp vaping. So I am always Qtipping any remaining oils at end of session, most of the goods vaped.

But besides “carbon baking”, the other reason is for best flavor on next session as you want to start clean. That’s the biggest problem with the current battery operated, replaceable tip, like Airis Headbanger types. After each dab, the reclaim builds up, flavor goes bad, and tips are hard to clean, so less used by me. Leftover oil in my DCup is a simple QTip even with dish hot. Next hit, like new.

Be interested in seeing how this device handles left over reclaim, and how easily or not it’s cleaned out. Maybe it has a high temp burn off feature, to spare my lungs at higher temps?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah that's what I mean also, is there going to be leftover, or can you fully vape it and inhale it all? Ideal concentrates shouldn't leave anything behind, but I assume they get overcooked in most other devices then? One main reason I use hot start banger dabbing is how it is self-cleaning with each heat up

RustyOldNail

Yeah that's what I mean also, is there going to be leftover, or can you fully vape it and inhale it all? Ideal concentrates shouldn't leave anything behind, but I assume they get overcooked in most other devices then?

The term “waste it to taste it”, is from low temp concentrate vaping. I could turn up my PID and probably vaporize close to everything in the dish….. but I was doing that on a HOT titanium nail long ago…. until I learned the healthier and more enjoyable benefits to lower temperatures, and I have to QTip and clean every time. My understanding is a lot of the oil leftover is spent anyway, with nothing to offer.

AlphaDeltaF1

Be interested in seeing how this device handles left over reclaim, and how easily or not it’s cleaned out. Maybe it has a high temp burn off feature, to spare my lungs at higher temps?
So you have a few options depending.

The battery friendly method would be using the low cap off temp to swab like Normal

The other way would be to set it to 600 and finish the dab. You could do this with the cap on or off.

florduh

I wouldn't say I waste it to taste it. But if you're doing low temp dabs there's probably gonna be a little something left over that couldn't vaporize at a lower temp. I take tiny dabs out of the v5, so there's no puddle. Just a little tiny dot of reclaim. Barely anything. I can reuse the same q-tip many times. Usually running hash rosin, which is pretty clean.

@AlphaDeltaF1 what's the splatter situation on the top cap? That's been an issue with wax pens for a long time now.

staircase slight of hand

The battery friendly method would be using the low cap off temp to swab like Normal

The other way would be to set it to 600 and finish the dab. You could do this with the cap on or off.

I’d love to see some video of a dab of rosin being taken, from loading all the way through to a good view of what’s left in the crucible after the dab is done.

RustyOldNail

I wouldn't say I waste it to taste it. But if you're doing low temp dabs there's probably gonna be a little something left over that couldn't vaporize at a lower temp. I take tiny dabs out of the v5, so there's no puddle. Just a little tiny dot of reclaim. Barely anything. I can reuse the same q-tip many times. Usually running hash rosin, which is pretty clean.

@AlphaDeltaF1 what's the splatter situation on the top cap? That's been an issue with wax pens for a long time now.

Yes, the AMOUNT-SIZE of a dab wound be a factor in what’s leftover. I also have a V4, and use smaller sizes, so less to swab.

AlphaDeltaF1

the splatter is bad if you use a dab that's over sized, but otherwise its about the same as any other pen. It is isolated to the vapor path and glass chimney. I just cleaned mine today and had a fair bit of splatter in it from learning the right dab size.

Last edited:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
I'm happy to disclose of Evolvs first paying Cricket customer for this device :D !

Since this is a new product release, the CEO ,Brandon, has been in close contact with me for my feedback. he appreciated my feedback so much he wanted to get more enthusiast like me a device so he offered me an opportunity to get some founders units out to all who wants to get there hands on one. You all would be paying less than I did to be the first get there hands on one !
Hi, firstly, I'd like to welcome you to FC & thank you for bringing this device to our attention, as well as providing your thoughts & observations.
Secondly, I just wondered if you could clarify - you stated you are a paying customer, therefore, as you haven't advised otherwise, I think it seems reasonable to assume you are not affiliated with Evolv & you are not being recompensed for promoting their device? Yet, you are trying to help the manufacturer sell 10 more devices at a price which you concede is $100 less than you paid for it yourself. This seems a little odd & not very fair (on you). To be completely clear, are you receiving anything at all in return for your effort, or to motivate you to promote this device?

:peace:

bigmike

Nice to see Evolv have changed their stance regarding weed
I'm still hoping they'll implement some of the additions @HerbieVonVapster was asking for for the DNA chips to run 510 weed atomizers at some point

80A u say?
I think they will. I don't think they have a choice. The last ecig they made as a their one FDA pmta submission was a flop.

bigmike,

AlphaDeltaF1

Hi, firstly, I'd like to welcome you to FC & thank you for bringing this device to our attention, as well as providing your thoughts & observations.
Secondly, I just wondered if you could clarify - you stated you are a paying customer, therefore, as you haven't advised otherwise, I think it seems reasonable to assume you are not affiliated with Evolv & you are not being recompensed for promoting their device? Yet, you are trying to help the manufacturer sell 10 more devices at a price which you concede is $100 less than you paid for it yourself. This seems a little odd & not very fair (on you). To be completely clear, are you receiving anything at all in return for your effort, or to motivate you to promote this device?

:peace:
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome! I’ve always been a lurker here so it feels good to finally get involved in the conversation!

to clarify my relationship with Evolv and the discounted units:

I am not compensated by Evolv. However, I’m being considered for unpaid beta testing for future product and feature releases for EVOLV. So by proxy of potentially being an unpaid beta tester in the future, I am affiliated with EVOLV to a degree. But I am I no way being paid to do promo / sales for them.

At first I didn’t exactly like hearing you all would pay less than I did, but at the end of the day I got the first production unit before anyone outside a small town in Ohio..that’s worth the $100 premium to me ;).

The 299.99 discount would only be possible because the purchase would be factory direct, no distributors or retail middle people. (Remember, I bought from a smoke shop and paid retail mark up)

At the end of the day, I don’t really care if we get a group order together or not for the EVOLV Cricket. I got mine, lol.

I simply am just trying to give back to the Vape community at large that has taught me so much over the past decade.

with the limited production capacity, these will prob be hard to come by in the retail market.

What would be considered to big of a dab? Or oversized
A standard size dab for the Cricket is the size of metal BB ~4mm. I hope that helps!

Last edited:

staircase slight of hand

The head-shop I bought it from (Papa Smokes in Ashtabula OH) only had stock since they were beta testing. So once the final design went to production they got the first units.

I found that out through their sales dept via email.

Since I’m not local to OH I called and ordered by mail and they were blown away that I knew about it. They told Brandon they sold the first unit ever and he wanted to call and talk to me about it and make sure I knew how to use it since there was nothing about it on the web. Hence why I’m making the form post !

I’ve gotta be honest: this whole narrative really strikes me as implausible. If this shop was selling stock for beta testing, why is there literally nothing else on the internet about people’s experience with this device, aside from this post?

OP, with all due respect: please think carefully before you address the skepticism that’s been brought up a couple times already. Honestly moves units.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I’ve gotta be honest: this whole narrative really strikes me as implausible. If this shop was selling stock for beta testing, why is there literally nothing else on the internet about people’s experience with this device, aside from this post?

And now the manufacturer is offering a promotion which undercuts the very retail shop who beta tested and sold the first device?
I looked up this smoke shop and they don't even have a website, just a Facebook page.
And I can't find a single post with any mention of this device.
For a retail business I'd expect to see a post saying to call in and order if they have inventory in stock?
OP keeps saying these are going to be hard to get, but the smoke shop isn't even trying to sell them?

TBH the whole "the CEO called me because I bought the first one" is pretty hard to believe.

cptofnthng

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

florduh

@AlphaDeltaF1 I think you said the Evolv CEO was willing to make an account here. That would probably be a good idea. I think it would be helpful to hear the type of concerns dabbers have.

Or at least a company rep. Since there's very little info available about this device, you shouldn't really have to field all these questions for free.

I think getting 10 people to jump on this based on your sole review is gonna be tough. Personally, I'm intrigued by the device. But there's a whole lot of variables here and I don't know if they'll come together to my satisfaction. I'd rather pay more later if it turns out a bunch of seasoned dabbers slap their seal of approval on it.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

OP, with all due respect: please think carefully before you address the skepticism that’s been brought up a couple times already. Honestly moves units.
And now the manufacturer is offering a promotion which undercuts the very retail shop who beta tested and sold the first device?
I looked up this smoke shop and they don't even have a website, just a Facebook page.
And I can't find a single post with any mention of this device.
For a retail business I'd expect to see a post saying to call in and order if they have inventory in stock?
OP keeps saying these are going to be hard to get, but the smoke shop isn't even trying to sell them?

TBH the whole "the CEO called me because I bought the first one" is pretty hard to believe.

I don't know, healthy skepticism is always good, but it sounds perfectly reasonable to me:

Some head shop has some connection with manufacturers of new US made dab vape, so they beta test it, then they are sent the first production model (seems like there was literally only one in the store to sell) so this person walks in and talks to them, ends up buying that one unit. Since the shop has some sort of connection with the manufacturer, they pass on the buyers info and the manufacturer connects with them directly, offering them the ability to get their own group together of 10 people for a new production run ahead of full retail...

Certainly not typical, but far from implausible, in my mind? A lot of people test things without talking about them, perhaps even at the direction of the makers, maybe it's not the best way to go about it, but I find no reason not to believe the way this all went down personally.

staircase slight of hand

Here’s the initial explanation:

The head-shop I bought it from (Papa Smokes in Ashtabula OH) only had stock since they were beta testing. So once the final design went to production they got the first units.

I found that out through their sales dept via email.

Since I’m not local to OH I called and ordered by mail and they were blown away that I knew about it. They told Brandon they sold the first unit ever and he wanted to call and talk to me about it and make sure I knew how to use it since there was nothing about it on the web.

So according to this, Evolv decide to have a mom and pop smoke shop beta test their brand new $400 wax pen. So far, so good (they’re in the same neck of the woods, so this seem plausible so far).

Then they ship the store their first non-beta-unit shipment (to sell, presumably).

Papa Smokes doesn’t mention the device on their Facebook or Instagram, while promoting all sorts of other stuff.

But they do apparently send out an email, and OP is on this local smoke shop’s email list despite not living in Ohio.

OP buys the device and has it shipped to him.

The CEO of Evolv learns that the devices they sent to be sold actually sold, and realizes that he must contact the buyer directly because the production release doesn’t come with instructions (???).

All the while, there isn’t a single mention of the device anywhere but Evolv’s site and here.

I’m sure weirder things have happened, but this really does kind of strain credulity.

florduh

He also might just honestly be in love with a new vape and wants everyone to know it and experience it themselves. Not a totally new concept around these parts. Neither is the new vape honeymoon period. Though the whole group buy thing is odd. But the zero hype roll out from Evolv seems odd to me too. They're running up against Puffco's millions in advertising. I'd be trying to hype this thing up a bit right now if I were them.

staircase slight of hand

But the zero hype roll out from Evolv seems odd to me too. They're running up against Puffco's millions in advertising. I'd be trying to hype this thing up a bit right now if I were them.

My thoughts exactly. Check out https://www.instagram.com/evolvapor/?hl=en, it’s sort of like a parody of how not to launch a product in 2022.

Top Bottom