EVOLV Cricket

staircase slight of hand

Since this is a new product release, the CEO ,Brandon, has been in close contact with me for my feedback.

Trouble is we only have small window before the distributors have exclusive buying rights. Then we’ll be stuck buying from retail resellers.

You might want to encourage Brandon to join the conversation here. If you’re not acting as a company rep (as you claim), it seems like we’d need one to join and coordinate this kind of group-buy/public-beta.

AlphaDeltaF1

You might want to encourage Brandon to join the conversation here. If you’re not acting as a company rep (as you claim), it seems like we’d need one to join and coordinate this kind of group-buy/public-beta.
Brandon was actually asking me where he could join the conversation last time we chatted. I’ll definitely let him know he is welcomed to join us here! :)

And I’d like to add this is no way a beta! All the beta testing has concluded. This is simply to get it into the hands of the true connoisseurs. I have a feeling this is going to be a VERY in demand device and I’ve already been told they don’t expect to be able to meet demand once they hit retail.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Definitely agree with much of what's been said.

I’m a DNA75C user myself, so I dig a lot of what I’m seeing here; but I do agree that if we examine the competition we’ll note that the metal vapor surface isn’t the most compelling option for a connoisseur targeted device at that price point.

Now I’m always open to having my mind changed, but I do understand others reservations about diving in. I don’t really think the price point is out of line, especially if it’s truly made in America, as I know what domestic manufacturing and R&D costs - and it’s not cheap.

I do think there’s a bit of an identity crisis here between a mass market device versus a connoisseur thing. Now I remember when titanium domeless nails came out, but the connoisseur dab crowd of today is quite peculiar and particular.

The Evolv CEO should send me an email because we could fix that titanium oven thing easily without really even changing anything.

florduh

This thing is basically the Titanium version of the AVS M22. "Energized Titanium". The M22 Wax Pen kit is scheduled to cost $677 whenever it's finally available.

Not crazy about the Ti. But... the Sai with a titanium bucket was my longest running vaporizer back in the day. Like 2 years with no VAS, no maintenance besides Q-tipping, and no fiddling with mod settings. I don't remember ever catching an off putting metallic taste. But then again, it's been years since I've used Ti since the market seems to have fully moved on from metal.

I don't really have material safety concerns compared to the DTv5 or Puffco. Especially because this is tightly temp controlled with a DNA board. I'm just concerned about taste.

The airflow doesn't look very complex unless I'm missing something. It just looks like standard RDA airflow holes.

Also, Evolv is asking me to take a risk on a totally novel form of dabbing. Never dabbed out of a trench before. Puffco/DT/AVS are emulating a standard banger. I sort of know what to expect there.

I'm definitely rooting for Evolv here. Especially if this is completely manufactured in the good 'ol USA. I just want to see people I know are seasoned dabbers giving it a seal of approval.

AlphaDeltaF1

I noticed the sides aren't heated. There's oil running for them. Any idea what that material is?
The entire tub apparatus (screw to screw) is composed of grade 9 Ti.
Definitely agree with much of what's been said.

I’m a DNA75C user myself, so I dig a lot of what I’m seeing here; but I do agree that if we examine the competition we’ll note that the metal vapor surface isn’t the most compelling option for a connoisseur targeted device at that price point.

Now I’m always open to having my mind changed, but I do understand others reservations about diving in. I don’t really think the price point is out of line, especially if it’s truly made in America, as I know what domestic manufacturing and R&D costs - and it’s not cheap.

I do think there’s a bit of an identity crisis here between a mass market device versus a connoisseur thing. Now I remember when titanium domeless nails came out, but the connoisseur dab crowd of today is quite peculiar and particular.

The Evolv CEO should send me an email because we could fix that titanium oven thing easily without really even changing anything.
Truly are made and developed here in the US. The entire device is made in house by Evolv in Ohio, from machining of the cases to the chip set used to power it. Its all bespoke.

also, with temperature control as tight as the cricket, I don’t see how the Ti surface would even degrade the flavor.

I temp step from 400F to 600F with diamonds in sauce and get flavor on par with flower vaping at the start.

Not to mention how brainless it is..I just load it and it works. i also no longer worry when I hand it to someone that they’re gonna carbonize my atomizer lol

80amp? is a lot of power, and hard on battery life, how easy is the battery to swap?
No battery swap, but Evolv may service units in the future, no too sure on that.

I will say; it’s instant on and off. Also, since it’s an energized Ti surface (not a coil heating a medium) it heats much more efficiently than anything else we’ve seen in this space EVER.

florduh

The entire tub apparatus (screw to screw) is composed of grade 9 Ti.

Nice. On the pictures the narrow sides closest to the screws looked like a different color.

also, with temperature control as tight as the cricket, I don’t see how the Ti surface would even degrade the flavor.

The concern isn't that the Ti will degrade flavor. It's just that some people are sensitive to metallic tastes. I know I can notice a tangy metallic taste from SS at times.

No battery swap, but Evolv may service units in the future, no too sure on that.

A reasonably priced battery replacement service would be a major selling point over Puffco devices.

AlphaDeltaF1

This thing is basically the Titanium version of the AVS M22. "Energized Titanium". The M22 Wax Pen kit is scheduled to cost $677 whenever it's finally available.

Not crazy about the Ti. But... the Sai with a titanium bucket was my longest running vaporizer back in the day. Like 2 years with no VAS, no maintenance besides Q-tipping, and no fiddling with mod settings. I don't remember ever catching an off putting metallic taste. But then again, it's been years since I've used Ti since the market seems to have fully moved on from metal.

I don't really have material safety concerns compared to the DTv5 or Puffco. Especially because this is tightly temp controlled with a DNA board. I'm just concerned about taste.

The airflow doesn't look very complex unless I'm missing something. It just looks like standard RDA airflow holes.

Also, Evolv is asking me to take a risk on a totally novel form of dabbing. Never dabbed out of a trench before. Puffco/DT/AVS are emulating a standard banger. I sort of know what to expect there.

I'm definitely rooting for Evolv here. Especially if this is completely manufactured in the good 'ol USA. I just want to see people I know are seasoned dabbers giving it a seal of approval.
In regards to the air flow, the air ports on the cap sit outside the direct air path letting the flavor concentrate.

Basically the air path is isolated by the glass chimney, that is sealed off by silicone, the holes / grooves in the silicone lead to the holes on the cap, that feeds the air path with fresh air.

See the 4 pic here Showing the silicone gasket that sits below the air ports and feeds the glass chimney with fresh air

Nice. On the pictures the narrow sides closest to the screws looked like a different color.

The concern isn't that the Ti will degrade flavor. It's just that some people are sensitive to metallic tastes. I know I can notice a tangy metallic taste from SS at times.

A reasonably priced battery replacement service would be a major selling point over Puffco devices.
I can confirm, zero metallic tangy taste even at the highest and lowest temps I’ve used. (400-600F)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Truly are made and developed here in the US. The entire device is made in house by Evolv in Ohio, from machining of the cases to the chip set used to power it. Its all bespoke.

I temp step from 400F to 600F with diamonds in sauce and get flavor on par with flower vaping at the start.

Not to mention how brainless it is..I just load it and it works. i also no longer worry when I hand it to someone that they’re gonna carbonize my atomizer lol

Have you ever dabbed off a Terp Slurper?
I just don't see the current connoisseur market really resonating with metal vapor surfaces. Even the better prefilled cartridges are doing away with metal contacting the oil. Plus there's already another Evolv powered concentrate device (MVS) which uses ceramic crucibles.

At the end of the day it's still a load-as-you-go device, which makes it more of a home-portable than something I would actually carry around in my pocket.

In my experience the brainless-simple crowd isn't really the connoisseur market and is far more likely to just buy the live rosin pod for $40.

It seems like somewhat of an emulation of a round bottom banger.

But I can't say the energized trench is necessarily new, basically a temp controlled Muad Dib. Though the Magic Flight used a stainless steel mesh basin rather than a solid titanium one.

magic-flight-muad-dib-vaporizer.jpg

AlphaDeltaF1

Yeah that's probably gonna vary from person to person.

What's your history with dabbing? What were you using to dab before the Cricket?
I started dabbing around 8 years ago. So I’ve used everything from the OG gpen, 510 atomizers, sub-ohm wax tanks / RDAs, enails, ceramic/ Ti domless, quartz bangers, enails etc.

Never used a terp slurpper, however.

Before the cricket I was using a HVT V5 2.1 on an Eleaf mod with TC.

I’ve been vaping for over a decade starting with a MFLB all the way back when those were the pinnacle of mobile tech.

AlphaDeltaF1,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

Before the cricket I was using a HVT V5 2.1 on an Eleaf mod with TC.

How would you compare the Cricket to the v5? That's the same dabbing substrate used in the Peak Pro and Proxy.

Something to consider... while Titanium isn't a preferred dabbing medium these days, the fast heat up time combined with the short vapor path should translate into a hit that's pretty dense with flavor. That could offset some Ti Taste, if you're sensitive to that. While it was SS rather than Ti, I noticed that in the OG Molecule from AVS. I only noticed the metal if I accidentally hit it dry.

florduh,
Reactions: Ramahs

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
For me, I wish/hope Evolv would make a dry herb device.
This new concentrate device, Priced as it is, can’t compete with a $25 YOCAN Uni Pro and distillate cart on certain levels. That’s the cheapest way to get one’s medicine. For effect and flavor I’ve already invested in a CH DCup with 30mm sapphire dish and PID control. Obviously, it’s not portable. This Evolv device is a steep price for me for “portable flavor”, over the simplicity of less flavorful cart units. I hope they sell well, and encourage the company to make a dry herb vaporizer, I’d be willing to spend on that kind of “premium” product, but this one does not fill a void for me, unless it was a lot less expensive. Good luck.

AlphaDeltaF1

How would you compare the Cricket to the v5? That's the same dabbing substrate used in the Peak Pro and Proxy.

Something to consider... while Titanium isn't a preferred dabbing medium these days, the fast heat up time combined with the short vapor path should translate into a hit that's pretty dense with flavor. That could offset some Ti Taste, if you're sensitive to that. While it was SS rather than Ti, I noticed that in the OG Molecule from AVS. I only noticed the metal if I accidentally hit it dry.
I’ve taken back to back dabs on the HVT V5 2.1 & EVOLV Cricket set to 475F here are my findings

(both hit native, all air flow open, melted down ~7 seconds until flat in bottom)

HTV V5 2.1: initial flavor has essence of terps on the retro inhale, but the flavor begins to become more “cooked” and develops into a near bitter flavor as the dab begins to cook off steadily.

Cricket: Initial flavor almost taste like the sauce on the diamond smells, 2nd puff most of the flavor is gone but the taste remains fresh

The vapor is much cooler coming off the cricket as well.

The cricket takes nearly 1 second to reach temp, so I suspect those volatile terps are still mostly there by the time your hit is developing VS cold starting with the HVT V5 2.1.

For me, I wish/hope Evolv would make a dry herb device.
This new concentrate device, Priced as it is, can’t compete with a $25 YOCAN Uni Pro and distillate cart on certain levels. That’s the cheapest way to get one’s medicine. For effect and flavor I’ve already invested in a CH DCup with 30mm sapphire dish and PID control. Obviously, it’s not portable. This Evolv device is a steep price for me for “portable flavor”, over the simplicity of less flavorful cart units. I hope they sell well, and encourage the company to make a dry herb vaporizer, I’d be willing to spend on that kind of “premium” product, but this one does not fill a void for me, unless it was a lot less expensive. Good luck.
EVOLV has always been for the high end vape connoisseur, you could say it’s in their DNA ;)

This device isn’t for the guy looking to get as high as possible for the least amount of money. It’s for the person who wants to explore the vast world of concentrates and their different flavors and effects in the most effective and convenient way possible.

You can’t deny this thing would be amazing snuck into a concert or on a day trip out. I will never go back to using gross 510 carts (yes, even the $70 high end ones) they simply cannot compete with the quality. Especially because I like being in control of the source of my dabs.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
This device isn’t for the guy looking to get as high as possible for the least amount of money. It’s for the person who wants to explore the vast world of concentrates and their different flavors and effects in the most effective and convenient way possible.
I’m currently exploring that world, in my desktop sapphire dish PID controlled device. This device cannot complete with it on flavor, and while not portable, I don’t have to ever consider a non-replaceable battery.

Especially because I like being in control of the source of my dabs.
Carts can be loaded by DIY users with any product they can press or extract. Dabs aren’t inherently safer as all these products are refined by someone. I don’t buy my concentrates or carts from unknown sources to begin with.

Bottom line, someone with deep pockets can “perhaps”, get a more FLAVORFUL concentrate hit on a portable device, but without being able to swap out a discharged battery, so power consumption would be another consideration. Will be looking at actual user owned reviews from those with no ties to the company in the future. Thanks for you responses.

AlphaDeltaF1

Will be looking at actual user owned reviews from those with no ties to the company in the future. Thanks for you responses.
That’s why I wanted to put this thread together. To get the device in the hands of the people who know what they’re talking about! FC has always been the go to community for product release like this because of the wealth of knowledge amongst the user base.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I'll say the loading of this sounds much easier, part of the problem with these cold start devices, I have with them at least, is the loading... The idea of being able to take scoop of the concentrate I already use for hot start banger dabbing at home into a simple all-in-one device for portability instead of using more varying cartridges is quite appealing to me I will admit! This seems much nicer to me in most every way, compared to what I have used this way in the past, Sai+ Linx Blaze and other e-rigs...

AlphaDeltaF1

I'll say the loading of this sounds much easier, part of the problem with these cold start devices, I have with them at least, is the loading... The idea of being able to take scoop of the concentrate I already use for hot start banger dabbing at home into a simple all-in-one device for portability instead of using more varying cartridges is quite appealing to me I will admit! This seems much nicer to me in most every way, compared to what I have used this way in the past, Sai+ Linx Blaze and other e-rigs...
I’d say the cricket is akin to the iPhone of dabbing. It’s built extremely well made with high end machining, great hand feel and the operation of seems incredibly simple to the user.

It’s also nice the dab could be taken at let’s say, 475 for a couple draws. Then you could finish it off at 600 and then just remove the cap and add a different flavor just like that.

No waiting for heating to a different temp. No messing with different finnicky 510 carts.

Also the on board storage lets you hold around 6 dabs !

florduh

I still think you can't beat an all ceramic live rosin cart for speed and discretion on the go. No loading or q-tipping. At low voltages they taste great to me.

That having been said, the Cricket looks like one of the better alternatives I've seen so far. Built in dab tool. Built in storage. Quite pocketable. Hits about as fast as a cart. Discreet too.

Top Bottom