EVOLV Cricket

EfffCombustMan

EVOLV Cricket

Hi all,

this is first of its kind cannabis concentrate device that is coming from the LEGENDARY Evolv Vapor!

EVOLV Cricket

I have just got my hands on it last week for $399.99 from a small head shop in Ohio and my goodness has the flavor blown me away.

since these aren't in stock anywhere else yet, the CEO also offered us a group rate for some special founders units for $299.99. he really want to get these into the enthusiast hands first as that who is designed for.

no more burnt dabs, no more coughing, no irritation. just pure flavor and effect ;)

let me know if you're interested.
Is this still an option? Ashtabula is 2 hour drive, so I’d likely not want to drive there lol. But I’m interested in the device.

EfffCombustMan,

AlphaDeltaF1

Is this still an option? Ashtabula is 2 hour drive, so I’d likely not want to drive there lol. But I’m interested in the device.

Group buy already closed and was only possible because they weren’t contracted with distributors when I posted. Now they’re available to buy online etc. Sorry to disappoint !

AlphaDeltaF1,

EfffCombustMan

Group buy already closed and was only possible because they weren’t contracted with distributors when I posted. Now they’re available to buy online etc. Sorry to disappoint !
No you’re fine! It’s still that price at that shop, so I’ll likely just make the drive. Appreciate the quick response

EfffCombustMan,

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Wow! So how would you compare the taste to glazed ceramic options like the DTv5?

Actually, I'm pretty amazed with the flavor on this Cricket.
It tastes just as good as the DTv5, and, what they say about not needing a bubbler is pretty much true.
Cool flavorful hits. I can't tell I'm vaping off of Ti. No indication. They've really nailed it with this design.
One thing I didn't mention in my review is how quickly the trough cools off. This makes hitting and pocketing so easy.
The fact that it's pocket sized and cools off so fast makes it a must-have in my shirt pocket.

However, I'd like to ask @AlphaDeltaF1 or anyone else with a connection to the Evolv folks, what type of battery it uses.
I"d guess LiPo if i had to guess, mainly because of the thin form factor of the unit, and another, the output.
I do know it goes between 3.15 and 4.20 volts like a normal ecig battery.

I've always been a fan of DNA chips/boards, and was surprised to see Evolv putting out a concentrate device.
They had asserted a couple of years ago that they would 'never' do a THC device, he he.
Now that ecig vapes are more regulated than THC vapes, things have changed !

AlphaDeltaF1

Actually, I'm pretty amazed with the flavor on this Cricket.
It tastes just as good as the DTv5, and, what they say about not needing a bubbler is pretty much true.
Cool flavorful hits. I can't tell I'm vaping off of Ti. No indication. They've really nailed it with this design.
One thing I didn't mention in my review is how quickly the trough cools off. This makes hitting and pocketing so easy.
The fact that it's pocket sized and cools off so fast makes it a must-have in my shirt pocket.

However, I'd like to ask @AlphaDeltaF1 or anyone else with a connection to the Evolv folks, what type of battery it uses.
I"d guess LiPo if i had to guess, mainly because of the thin form factor of the unit, and another, the output.
I do know it goes between 3.15 and 4.20 volts like a normal ecig battery.

I've always been a fan of DNA chips/boards, and was surprised to see Evolv putting out a concentrate device.
They had asserted a couple of years ago that they would 'never' do a THC device, he he.
Now that ecig vapes are more regulated than THC vapes, things have changed !

The Cricket is powered by a LiPo battery that is soldered directly to the chipset. Not sure on the exact Mah spec however. I know it reads dead around 3V before the cells are completely drained so it’s over spec in that regard.

Great informative write up! Happy to see others starting to enjoy this neat piece of dab tech.

felvapes

I watched Troy and jerry video with it the other day
Although jerry was giving it praises I didn't feel impressed with what I saw re clouds .
Troy said he got a hot lip and his seemed to have some cap reading issues etc
I honestly expected a bit more after all I've read

I just got a lightning pen the other day and it is blowing me away with the clouds, never gets hot on the lip either
It has a small dish too but has surprised me

The price difference between the two is rather noticeable too

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
The price difference between the two is rather noticeable too

Regarding the price difference,
The Evolv Cricket is made 100% in the USA including the chip (aside from the battery I assume).
The lightning pens, China 100%.
So that's the explanation on that one.
It costs a lot more to make things in the US.
Also Evolv is not a 'huge' company, I bet they didn't even make 5K of these on their 1st run.

The issue is, we have become accustomed to Chinese pricing, which involves slave (yes slave) labor often, and sub-par engineering and materials.
The lightning pen is great, but, it's easy to see why it's affordable. NOT saying DT is involved with such practices, tho. I think Matt has actually been to the factory where they are being made.

As far as clouds go, you have to know HOW to use this device. Too much dab and you wont get clouds. Failure to pre-heat the dab is another one.
I get plenty big clouds with mine.
The other thing to keep in mind is that you can only load about a BB's worth of concentrate into the Cricket, so..... there's that factor toning down the cloud a bit.
Also, one must find the right temperature for their particular dab material.

I'm not easily impressed, and I have stuck to the V5/lightning cups until lately. Now, I'm all about the Cricket.
It's far more economical than the v5, and easier to load than the lightning pen.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the Cricket vs. lighting/v5. :)

Last edited:

BakedDiogenes

The Evolv Cricket is made 100% in the USA (aside from the battery I assume).
Also Evolv is not a 'huge' company, I bet they didn't even make 5K of these on their 1st run.

The issue is, we have become accustomed to Chinese pricing, which involves slave (yes slave) labor often, and sub-par engineering and materials.
The lightning pen is great, but, it's easy to see why it's affordable.

As far as clouds go, you have to know HOW to use this device. Too much dab and you wont get clouds. Failure to pre-heat the dab is another one.
The other thing to keep in mind is that you can only load about a BB's worth of concentrate into the Cricket, so..... there's that factor toning down the cloud a bit.

I'm not easily impressed, and I have stuck to the V5/lightning cups until lately. Now, I'm all about the Cricket.
It's far more economical than the v5, and easier to load than the lightning pen.

Are you finding any issues with qtip fibers getting caught in the welds of the bucket?

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Are you finding any issues with qtip fibers getting caught in the welds of the bucket?

Not at all, and, I assume that's because I pre-heat right before swabbing.
Also, the welds are very tiny, they look extremely pronounced on images, but, really, no, they are quite small.
No issues with qtip cotton getting snagged whatsoever ! :)

I didn't feel impressed with what I saw re clouds .

I got barely any cloud my first 3 times using the Cricket.
I had to learn how to use the device and what the optimal settings were for my concentrate.
Now I get decent clouds... no, not mind-bending cough your ass off clouds, but very very decent cloud. :)
On my video of me toking the Cricket, it's outdoors with a breeze so that's a factor.

felvapes

The Evolv Cricket is made 100% in the USA including the chip (aside from the battery I assume).

The lightning pen is great, but, it's easy to see why it's affordable.

In the last 6 - 12 months there have been two companies in America busted for child and slave labour
A Hyundai factory and a butcher/meat factory

Likewise there are also ethical businesses in China that use safe products
They are an American company that get their stuff made in China (like a large amount of the western companies do)
Are we accusing divine tribe of using unethical business choices and also not checking the safety and quality of the material they order? Or just raising points that might imply that?
The lightning is a small dish too, and takes a small load that needs a pre melt
Piss easy to learn how to use though and clouds for days with a hit that surprised me

It's not a small price difference at all and I don't know how reflective it is of the reasons given even if we do expect local things to be more expensive

I'm not saying the cricket is shit, I haven't got one
But it definitely isn't simple to use going by the video above and jerry didn't get big clouds either but was singing it praises
Troy had issues that were gliches not just "user error" and a hot lip
Why does it need to be so difficult to use and learn? Is that part of the local manufacturing?
I'll take people's word it is good, for the price it would want to be
You'd hope it was more user friendly out the box too I spose

I'm glad you and some others enjoy it, that's what matters, enjoying our purchase choices

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
In the last 6 - 12 months there have been two companies in America busted for child and slave labour

They are an American company that get their stuff made in China (like a large amount of the western companies do)
Are we accusing divine tribe of using unethical business choices and also not checking the safety and quality of the material they order? Or just raising points that might imply that?
Piss easy to learn how to use though and clouds for days with a hit that surprised me

It's not a small price difference at all and I don't know how reflective it is of the reasons given even if we do expect local things to be more expensive

But it definitely isn't simple to use going by the video above and jerry didn't get big clouds either but was singing it praises
Why does it need to be so difficult to use and learn? Is that part of the local manufacturing?

I'm glad you and some others enjoy it, that's what matters, enjoying our purchase choices

OMG dude.
Obviously your pen isn't working properly if you have an attitude like THIS while using it.

No.
I'm not implying anything about Divine Tribe.

What I'm saying is, Evolv MAKES the mod AND chip HERE in the USA.
Not parts flown in from China and simply ASSEMBLED here in the USA.

I really don't appreciate your hostile tone and your demand for American companies to compete with Chinese prices.

The Cricket is not very complicated, but, you DO have to select temps and perfect your load/draw. So what ?

I'm glad you love your lightning pen, I like it also, but.... why come to the Cricket thread just to bitch and say how great another unit is ?

Take a few dabs dude.
Seriously.

florduh

Troy isn't a wax pen fan and isn't well versed on their usage. I don't remember the "hot lip"/mouthpiece part of his review. I do remember him saying he sucked wax into the mouthpiece. That's because he overloaded the device and sucked way too hard. I'm guessing Troy would have those same exact problems with the lightning pen or any other wax atty/pen.

The price difference between the LP and the Cricket is very large. It's hard to say the Cricket is 4 times better than the Lightning Pen. But a DNA chip is going to have more stable temps than the LP which only runs straight wattage.

Is that worth the big price premium? I guess that's a personal decision.

@DJ Colonel Corn since you've used both, do you notice the Cricket mouthpiece getting super hot? The DTv5 mouthpiece gets so hot I find it unusable in wax pen mode.

felvapes

OMG dude.
Obviously your pen isn't working properly if you have an attitude like THIS while using it.

No.
I'm not implying anything about Divine Tribe.

What I'm saying is, Evolv MAKES the mod AND chip HERE in the USA.
Not parts flown in from China and simply ASSEMBLED here in the USA.

I really don't appreciate your hostile tone and your demand for American companies to compete with Chinese prices.

The Cricket is not very complicated, but, you DO have to select temps and perfect your load/draw. So what ?

I'm glad you love your lightning pen, I like it also, but.... why come to the Cricket thread just to bitch and say how great another unit is ?

Take a few dabs dude.
Seriously.
Mate I'll leave this thread
But please don't gaslight me

I didn't demand anything - I did say I don't think the extra price reflects the increase we might expect

I also only raised the points I did because you most certainly did raise slave labour etc and quality of goods from china
If you weren't referring to the two devices we were talking about why raise those points at all? (Unless to throw shade and doubts to other readers)

I also didn't come to big up the lightning pen
I also saw the video and was about to mention it before it was posted
I did mention the lightning because I have had it a few days and it is no comparison to the video of the cricket and wasn't hard to learn to use

Jerry seemed to know all about it and how to use it
But it looked similar to me
I'm just saying what I saw, not saying it's gospel

So please chill yourself
I'm cool and had no vitriol in my post at all

Habba vapey day ppl

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
The DTv5 mouthpiece gets so hot I find it unusable in wax pen mode.

Indeed, the V5 mouthpiece gets unbearably hot.
The Cricket mouthpiece does not, because of its design.
It has a stainless body with gaps between the glass vapor path (removeable, cleanable) and the mouthpiece itself.
The vapor also is cooler than the V5.
With the V5, I suggest using one of iNeedHemp's silicone adapters. Put one on and use mouth, works great !

he overloaded the device and sucked way too hard.

This is correct.
When I 1st used my Cricket, I put in too much, being accustomed to the V5.
I also hit it harder, for the same reason.
I sucked up concentrate into the thin glass pathway and blocked up the flow.
Easy fix, tho, just remove the glass pathway and soak in isopropyl alc. Re-install. Good as new !
Yeah this is what I meant by learning the technique on Cricket.
Hit it slow, gentle, and do NOT load more than a BB worth, which will give you 2 long hits of nice vapor. :)

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
They sold a few actual mods early on, then just sold the chipsets. I have a few mods with their various chips over the years. They certainly were considered the top in temperature control, so I’m sure they nailed that. However, I’d need to see and learn a lot more unless someone wants to send me a test unit….. :)

I’m responding to the 1st post I made in this thread, as when I saw the date of my post = Sept. 15, 2022, I couldn’t believe that 5 months have passed…. Geez life is short enough, but it speeds up as you grow older….

Anyway, after seeing some of the latest text & video reviews of the Evolv Cricket, I decided that the Cricket might be something I would enjoy. I no longer take very large concentrate dabs, like in my youthful hot titanium nail days. My DCup with Sapphire dish has been great, but small dabs on the 30mm surface is not ideal, and needs a water rig. Over the years, I’ve collected many of the Devine Tribe devices and in the past few months, have updated to the V5, but that’s basically a well made but less expensive version of my DCup, as the surface of the glazed ceramic cup is about 15mm, still pretty big. The DT Lighting Cups are smaller, work great, then I’ve enjoyed the latest, even smaller, the LP = Lightning Pen, just wide enough to fit a QTip. All these products work great on my DNA75C 21700 mods, but as the cups I’ve tried have gotten smaller and smaller, I realized I could get just as medicated using a lot less concentrates, and less coughing etc. Guess I’ve slowly become a concentrate “micro-doser”.

So while I don’t care about portability that much, which is one of the main advantages of the Cricket design, and like most I prefer using all my 18650 & 21700 batteries, I know there are always tradeoffs. The Crickets 850mAh LiPo battery should last several years of moderate use so I’ll concede that, and at $399.00 I’ll bet Evolv would at some point have a battery replacement plan, like iPhones.

Since I’ve had many mods with Evolv chipsets, and own a computer if I want to upgrade the firmware (HUGE PLUS), I’m comfortable with the company, and expect a top end hardware product from them.

From the hands on reviews, it looks super easy to QTip the Ti trench while warm. And if you don’t draw too strong, cleaning the glass chimney MP, will be no issue. Every oil device I own requires cleaning, some more than others, but this simple design looks super easy. Watching the Troy & Jerry video was educational, as I’m more like a “Jerry”. I read manuals and learn the product, seeing all the mistakes Troy made, as he could break a steel ball, showed it’s not his thing. Jerry had most of it figured out, that’s why he enjoyed its proper usage.

So…… I decided to take the chance, ordered directly from the Evolv site on Monday, supposed to arrive Thursday. Price was $399.00, free shipping. Had a few quick questions, wrote Evolv via email and heard back the same day. I still believe $299.00 would attract more potential buyers, as I hope this product does well for them. If it works as well as the reviews, I’ll hopefully be happy.

My final decision to buy now….. LIFE IS TOO DAM SHORT, you can always make MONEY, but you can’t make TIME….

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
ordered directly from the Evolv site on Monday

Wow ok.
Yes you are right about how small dabs are enough to get medicated.

The other point I have to underscore is.. it kinda matters what type of oil one is using.
With the high potency of my current material, a couple few hits and I am very well medicated, extremely.

I have, as well, become a much more modertate concentrate user than I was in the past.

The cricket being so portable IS a huge plus for me, personally.

However, new users can be dumb users, and so I have to report.....

That I broke the glass chimney while cleaning it. Dang ! Good thing Evolv sells replacements.

I also figured I'd pick up an extra trough for the day it might go out.

The glass chimenys can be found here:
https://www.evolvapor.com/products/cricket-chimney-assembly

I'm also looking for some small wooden coffee stir sticks that came with the Cricket !

A nice thing to clean it out with is a 0.7mm / 0.028in allen key.

I broke it with a 0.9 allen , used the wrong one.

Cheers !!

Last edited:

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Did yours come with one spare glass chimney?

Yes it did !
Which is why I was able to keep on vaping !
Will be more careful now, and will only use the 0.7mm to clean it out.

Comes with xtra glass chimeny, allen key for replacing the trough, and a charge cord.
Also two wooden sticks that fit perfectly thru the glass chimeny !
Lost my sticks tho playing with it in public.... dang !

So, I'm using my allen key.

With correct use it doesn't clog up very quickly, but, of course will.

I think you'll be stoked on this, right on !

Oh, P.S., it also comes with four extra colored dab stash silicones :p

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I was intrigued after watching Troy and Jerry. And then really interested after @DJ Colonel Corn's and @RustyOldNail's review. Then I saw the price tag. Jesus fucking Christ, that's a lot of money. I'll keep practicing my Lightning Pen.
I do see the quality in the design and love that it's made for flavor from small dabs. It's just a bit outta my league right now.

Last edited:

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
And then really interested after @DJ Colonel Corn's and @RustyOldNail's review

Why thank you kindly !
Yes, this is about what all mods would cost if they were made completley in the USA.
If they have enough success, and after it's no longer 'new'.... maybe the price will come down by 100.

Lightning pen is pretty nice, just imo harder to load.
I am grateful I have the Cricket, but, I got by for many years without one too :) !

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I'll keep practicing my Lightning Pen.

Nothing wrong with the LP, does what it’s designed to do. While the cost of the Cricket is steep, I expect a top shelf device, and………
… dam… I DESERVE it! :)

With correct use it doesn't clog up very quickly, but, of course will.

Being a bit OCD, I clean most of my devices after I’m done using them. Developing techniques for both quick cleaning and complete cleaning, keeps flavors strong and accurate, and I believe my defenseless lungs appreciate my efforts. Once I saw how easy the Cricket is to clean, I thought, let’s GO…..

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
how easy the Cricket is to clean, I thought, let’s GO…..

Yes very easy, and it's very fun to use.
Keeping things clean is a way of life for dabbers with electronic units.....
The obvious truth is that, yes, vapor clouds settle into vapor goo when they hit cold surfaces.
Hey at least it's golden honey residue and not that resin/tar that came from combusting weed, remember that nightmare ?
Good grief.
The worst was when we had killer bud and my friend's only bong was...... so dirty...... you got sticky tar on u just from lookin at it.
Dear god, the smell too, ha ha.

Anyway, yes, super easy to clean/maintain, I'm havin' a good time with the Cricket !

Top Bottom