• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Eterra

vapormonkey

Can I add pics to these posts? How.

Sure, I was just thinking the exact same thing. I'm going to take some pictures and provide a pictorial. stonemonkey's a great writer and he's said he still has a working Eterra as well. From what I can see I come back in ten years and Eterra's children are the most popular vapes on here in 2010. It appears Eterra's children have inherited the Earth.

... the least you could do is show a great grandfather a little respect.

I'll be damned if it doesn't appear the original Eterra inventor hasn't come up with something new?!!! What tha hell is that? I'd recognize that woodwork anywhere like the uni-bomber...that's him. lol Oh My God.

vapormonkey,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
vapormonkey said:
Can I add pics to these posts? How.

You can add pics to your posts here with the Img button, but you'll need a place to host the images like Flickr or Photobucket. You can also register at Vaporpedia (simple process, like registering here) and upload them there.

I appreciate the response, thanks.

pakalolo,

stinkmeaner

I read something that suggested that the makers of the Eterra were going to come out with a new model. >>>>http://newsguide.us/index.php?path=/health-medical/cancer/New-Vaporizer-Technologies-Revolutionize-Smoking/

stinkmeaner,

vap999

I don't have time now to elaborate much, but I think there are some major mistakes being made here about the history (or mythology) surrounding the Eterra!

From what I know, from having purchased a Flash Evaporator (where hand-held, low-power vaporizers really started; see http://www.flashevap.com/FE.htm and http://www.flashevap.com/history.htm), Ultralight, Eterra and Pneuma models directly from Bob, the Eterra inventor, patent holder and manufacturer (back in the 1990s), he is the inventor. As far as I know, Lightwell is someone else who apparently continued selling Eterras it probably made itself, but seemingly not actively in recent years. Bob is now apparently preoccupied with creative writing (see http://www.flashevap.com/).

vap999,

vap999

max said:
As I've stated in post #4, these vapes are ancient as far as what's on the market today. I don't think the Eterra is available at all, and the Moxie may not be either. You'd have to email them to find out. Lightwell.net looks just the same, with the same info, as it did about 3 years ago. The Eterra design is much older than that. I'm pretty sure this company had the 1978 patent that Tom refers to as the inspiration for the PD.

BOB, THE INVENTOR ("CREATOR") OF THE ETERRA, NOT MICHAEL/LIGHTWELL, as mistakenly reported in prior still-unedited postings in this thread, seems to be getting back into vaporizer development. See www.flashevap.com.

Besides describing his current projects, which look interesting, his commentary clears up many aspects of the history (or mythology) regarding the Eterra. For example, Lightwell eventually acquired Bob's stock of production Eterras and sold these seemingly for years, and he mentions "a fellow in Oregon, who had bought one of my units, copied them and sold them at half the price I had been asking." And of course, Bob was the inventor and assignee (owner) of the often-cited 1978 "Eterra Patent."

While most attention is paid to the Eterra, because it is obviously the parent of current log vaporizers, in terms of history or from technological, engineering, human factor, etc. perspectives, Bob's innovations were exemplified in the Flash Evaporator (see http://www.flashevap.com/FE.htm). This involved the vapor tube (another lasting innovation for which Bob is probably the one who deserves credit) directly inserted into the resistor-heated brass heat exchanger. The Moxie looks to be much like the Flash Evaporator in terms of basic design.

The Eterra came next and added a tube on top of the heat exchanger running up to much the same type of ventilated metal anchoring/wood-mounting disk is still used by log vapes (another innovation, with several inches of tube length and the exposed top metal disk allowing enough heat loss/cooling to allow the disk to be anchored to the wood). The tube with a resistor inside served as the primary heater/heat exchanger, and depending on models (I only ever purchased cheaper seconds or prototypes), may have simply involved just the resistor within the pipe or additional metal mass (heat sink) added on the outside of the tube at the level of the resistor. The Pneuma came next, with this essentially a Flashevaporator/Eterra hybrid, with a massive straight-bore brass heat sink/exchanger (rounded at the top to allow vapor tubes to make a good seal when pressed down over the hole) replacing the short solid cylinder-shaped heat exchanger of the Flash Evaporator and the thin tube (and any heat sink) of the Eterra.

[Note, I live somewhat local (on the East Coast, not CA, where Eterra "creation" was attributed to in prior posts) to Bob and purchased each model he commercially developed over the years (guessing, 1994-2000). I saw production-run Eterras being made in his garage, so I can attest that Bob, not Micheal/Lightwell, was the inventor (creator), manufacturer and initial marketer of the Eterra, with as I recall, his company around that time then called Green Metals.]

vap999,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
So I took a picture this morning of my still functional - gets the job done - still mostly love it and think it rocks - Eterra:

eterra.jpg

I think I might have another one somewhere! I remember buying two. I also have a shitload of stems. The two you see there are the "longer edition" non-glass ones. I was too much of a punk to buy the glass, or maybe I did and never used it, or they broke. I also have a few more stems somewhere, maybe I will find them this weekend when I go through my storage unit.

mod note: Your question belongs here- Classifieds You're not obligated to sell just because you list it.

sessnet,

vapormonkey

Thanks for the memories. I still have a couple and used to love the stems to hold joints when times I smoked. Are the new ones really improved compared to these?

vapormonkey,
I have what Bob created pre Eterra. I am not sure it has been mentioned. I have forgotten the name.
It was used with a soldering iron. It used the same stems. When I went to NY I took it because it
does not look at all like a vaporizer. A soldering iron and another little piece that looks like nothing and then one of the stems. Very travel stealthy. And like the Eterra these really conserve medicine. 5 hits is my record and then I couldn't find where I put it down.

That is it alright. I still have it and have used it once in the last 5 years. Thanks for finding the reference. Interesting that the stealth aspect of this was highlighted in the story. It is also interesting that he would like it revived. They really do conserve medicine. And the Eterra is idiot proof. You can leave it plugged in forever and then you don't need to wait the 1/2 hour before it heats up. For the ultra light it takes a little while to figure out how to use it. You need to get it so that it runs pretty hot to work well but then it works real well.

MonsterWithoutBorders,
I want one!
I am looking into what it would take to manufacture these. I will be emailing Bob today to see if he
would still like to converse about his design. We looked at this and there are some very tricky
soldering that would need to take place. We are wondering about a simpler design but are not
sure why the original complications are there.

MonsterWithoutBorders,
I want one!
I did not see how to edit my last post. I am looking into producing the Omega Ultra Light. I have been conversing with Bob. I would like to know if anyone would want one. Anybody got an idea of how to figure that out. I am thinking of doing a run of 25.

MonsterWithoutBorders,

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Seen a eterra vape log on ebay , it says it's the first of log vapes. Being intrigued i searched for its thread on FC lol. Pretty cool for $99 or best offer.. just passing the word around if collectors out there, I don't know if these are as rare as ad says or not. I know id grab it if I could , the thing looks indestructible lol. looks to have a crack when looking at top view pic although cant tell if only surface.. was fun learning a bit of log vape history :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom