easiest vape for an older person?

fågel

᚛ᚓᚐᚅ᚜
hi fc,

i've looked around a little bit but i figured it would be best to just make a thread. my mom has recently started smoking cannabis again, but her asthma is making that a problem. i love the vapcap & feel it's simple to use and smooth (vs my underdog, these are the only vapes i own & that's why i'm posting this lol) but she has constant hand tremors that would make the heating of it impossible. (she struggles to write, etc and she also constantly burns herself using regular bic lighters.) and finally, she's over 50 years old and i'm often helping her with her tech problems so something easy to figure out is necessary. so i wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for vaporizers that are:

1) easy to use (both in actual usage and in regards to her tremors)
2) works well with small load sizes
3) smooth vapor
4) under $200

desktop or portable doesn't really matter at this point and she would use it exclusively for flower. i feel that even if the vape ends up being harsh for her it would be easy for us to get her some glass in hopes of addressing that, so if there's something not necessarily super smooth but otherwise a good choice please throw that out there as well.
any recommendations are much appreciated, thank you! :)

Shrinks

Enjoy Responsibly
I probably wouldn't recommend a portable since she has hand tremors, but it shouldn't be ruled completely out (it's especially great if she can't always move to her hypothetical desktop vape).

If I could make a personal recommendation, I say go with either the Da Buddha Vaporizer (roughly $150) or the Arizer EQ (around $135 when I got it). The EQ can be used via a remote control (adjust temperature settings, fan, lighting etc), has an access to a fan, and can fill bags. Da Buddha is just a whip vape, but it's fantastic at it. It's also analog, so it has no electronics and is very durable. I can keep it on all day (and have tested this).

For the EQ, if you want small hits I'd recommend the elbow packing method instead of the cyclone bowl, since you'll need at least half a gram for satisfactory results from the bowl. My Da Buddha takes about roughly ~.25 - .5 grams (maximum I pack is half the wand bowl, minimum is a third of the bowl). They're both pretty efficient, and they're fantastic devices for the price range.

Best of luck!

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
I have to vote Solo on this one... for the following reasons...
  • Constantly Burns herself: Torch vapes out, flame hotter than bics
  • Tech Challenged: Solo is pretty easy.
  • Works well with small loads
  • Smooth vapor (and adjustable temps.
  • Under $200
  • If dropped, the vape would survive. (and with proper stem, wood maybe, that would be durable)
  • Interfaces with water tools

FreddieFresh

I agree for portables you're best looking at Solo/Air with a wood stem or one of the boundless models. For desktop I would recommend an Herbalaire. Its an extremely durable vape. It's the only vape I have that I don't grind for. It cooks evenly and thoroughly with no stirring either. It's not my hardest hitting vape but it's very easy to use

Baron23

I'm going to go in a different direction...BUT I take some exception to your relating the fact that your mother is over 50 with technical incompetence. I'm 64 and am a Program Manager at a VOIP software company and chuckled when I read that. You wait and see, sonny....you ain't going to think you're that f*cking ancient when you hit 50! LOL

Here is my suggestion...increase your budget and get a Stortz and Bickel vape that uses the dosing capsules. That would be a Volcano with a reduced chamber and dosing capsules or perhaps a Plenty with the same (although the Plenty is hand held so I hesitate). Same for Mighty...it will take the dosing capsules but again its hand held and that may be difficult for your mom with her movement disorder.

The dosing capsules are like 34 cents each and are exactly intended for use by a patient or caregiver to pre-load a bunch of doses in easy to install capsules. I have reused a dosing capsule 6-7 times by being careful but they are really intended as throw away components.

This way, either you or your Mom could pre-load a week's worth of capsules, the Volcano is massively stable and reliable, and with the Easy Valve configuration its really easy to use and requires no technique at all.

The only downside its its expensive.

http://www.storz-bickel.com/shop_us/en/dosing-capsule-set-40-pcs.html

P.S. - some, including me, have tried to use the Volcano reduced chamber without also using the dosing capsule and found it not to be very effective. Some herb blows out of the chamber and it just doesn't extract that well. I'm convinced its intended to only be used with the dosing capsules in which case it performs very differently.

Good luck....kid! hahaha

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
My vote is also for the two Arizer portables. I would go with the Solo or the Air. Both units have only a couple parts to keep track of (glass stem and screen) and they are easy to maintain and clean. They both have good flavor, I prefer the Solo. I think for me it has better flavor. I like temp 5 on the Solo I can't match that temp with the Air.

The Solo might be a bit cheaper than the Air. The Air runs on replaceable batteries. The Solo has an internal battery but over time it can be replaced by the owner. To take into consideration they don't use a lot of product. So you save on the cannabis budget. You can use a small load or load up to the top.

These units are vaporizers that will last the owner a long time. They aren't the throwaway type of a portable.

What about a log vape? I'll just throw that out there. I love my Enano.

All of these units that I have mentioned are under $200.

Does your mom have a disability?

Last edited:

lwien

BUT I take some exception to your relating the fact that your mother is over 50 with technical incompetence. I'm 64 and am a Program Manager at a VOIP software company and chucked when I read that. You wait and see, sonny....you ain't going to think you're that f*cking ancient when you hit 50! LOL

:ninja:

To help put things into perspective:
;)

But all that aside, I am sorry to hear that she's not doing very well.

Others here are offering up excellent choices though. Hope ya find something that works for her.

I think that all of us seniors that are enjoying good health, both physical and mental, should stop for a moment and give thanks, either to ourselves for our persistence in helping to maintain that good health, or to God for blessing us with good health, or to our parents for passing down those good genes or just to luck for dealing us the good cards. As for me, I thank them all.

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
For ease of use I suggest cartridges of concentrate with an "auto" battery base, that is, a base that turns on when inhaled. No buttons to push. You don't have to take huge hits, and you can take hits with lots of air. Since it is concentrate, her hits will be more effective, and she won't need to use much.

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
I agree for portables you're best looking at Solo/Air with a wood stem or one of the boundless models. For desktop I would recommend an Herbalaire. Its an extremely durable vape. It's the only vape I have that I don't grind for. It cooks evenly and thoroughly with no stirring either. It's not my hardest hitting vape but it's very easy to use

This is what I was going to say; the Herbalaire. It's versatile, it's easy, it's durable. Agree it's not my hardest hitting but its "idiot" proof in both design and technique. And it has the option of plugging the air pump in the back for easy hits.

Was going to recommend a log vape but maybe some issues with regards to putting stem to heat port/holding log, if she has tremors. That said, I've seen a handful of reports of people with hand issues (don't recall what) where the residual heat emitted by the log vapes was actually therapeutic and helpful.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
How often would she be medicating? The Air battery does not last very long IMO. Many older people struggle with remembering to constantly be topping off a battery. A dead battery creates a serious problem for a medical user. The Volcano is way over budget but the bag system is a good solution to the hand tremors.

Dynalowrider

Is there an echo in here? I could have sworn I heard those words before. I did hear them before. I said them on Friday.:lol:
I'm glad to see someone agrees with me. Doc

Dynalowrider,
Reactions: steama

fågel

᚛ᚓᚐᚅ᚜
wow! thank you so much everyone for your suggestions. i'm leaning to the one of the boundless models or the solo since our budget is, unfortunately, non negotiable at this time.. and both of those seem pretty straightforward. the ELBs look really promising too, so thanks for the tip :) i'll read up on the suggestions some more and let her know what i've found when i see her this week. :peace:

Concupiscient

For ease of use I suggest cartridges of concentrate with an "auto" battery base, that is, a base that turns on when inhaled. No buttons to push. You don't have to take huge hits, and you can take hits with lots of air. Since it is concentrate, her hits will be more effective, and she won't need to use much.

Can this be made cough-proof?

Concupiscient,
Reactions: steama

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
To lessen the chance of coughing, care must be taken not to take too large of a concentrate hit. If you drilled holes in the plastic mouthpiece, more air would be mixed with the product. Personally, I limit intake by not sucking on the mouthpiece like a milk-shake straw. I allow air to go around the mouthpiece with a loose fit.

BadDog No

;)I was gonna suggest the popular Arizer EQ with the "new" all glass whip. The matching bags come with a 10mm male fitting. All glass and then when the bag fills, transfer to a 14 mm bubbler and use a14/10reducer. No muss. No fuss. Enjoy at your leisure. The glass and water make a positive seal so plenty of time for a more gentle at any pace you want introduction to vaping. Might be just out of your price range though...
EDIT: Oh and the glass whips are like $10 each on Ebay so you could preload a few or even just load up a bunch of screens.
EDIT 2:oh and the EQ gives an expansion possibility into either direct to water (easiest with a DDave kit) or from the whip, either of which can be fan aided. Or you could go with an 18/14 M/M and put a little hydrotube on top. Pinnacle probably still under $30 on Ebay. OK I'll shut up:lol:

Last edited:

Anaconda Gs

Vapor Adventures
;)I was gonna suggest the popular Arizer EQ with the "new" all glass whip. The matching bags come with a 10mm male fitting. All glass and then when the bag fills, transfer to a 14 mm bubbler and use a14/10reducer. No muss. No fuss. Enjoy at your leisure. The glass and water make a positive seal so plenty of time for a more gentle at any pace you want introduction to vaping. Might be just out of your price range though...
EDIT: Oh and the glass whips are like $10 each on Ebay so you could preload a few or even just load up a bunch of screens.
EDIT 2:oh and the EQ gives an expansion possibility into either direct to water (easiest with a DDave kit) or from the whip, either of which can be fan aided. Or you could go with an 18/14 M/M and put a little hydrotube on top. Pinnacle probably still under $30 on Ebay. OK I'll shut up:lol:

Just adding onto what BadDog mentioned about the EQ. I think the EQ with bag option would be best. That might be the most convenient for someone who has challenges.

Anaconda Gs,
Reactions: fågel

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
For under $200US I would look at the following options as already suggested by other posters.

Birthday Special Underdog with 4 unbreakable stems from $160 & you could spend the change on a cheap bubbler.

Arizer Solo/Air & unbreakable Ed's TnT stem for under $200 or a Boundless CF/CFX.

There are a bunch of solid desktop vapes like the 7th floor models or Arizer EQ but they all require handling glass parts (sometimes hot) & are therefore fragile.

fågel

᚛ᚓᚐᚅ᚜
i helped my mom and her husband try out my underdog and it went well! to be fair my mom's medication has been adjusted so her tremors are a bit better. her husband is a long time combuster and his lungs are no longer having it, so a vape both of them can use at home together seems ideal right now. since it worked for both of them i'm hoping they can make the switch over to vaporizing. now i will just have to get my sister on the vape train as well :)

Top Bottom