DynaVap vs. Battery vapes

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I can't stand the dynavap any more, although it was definitely very helpful while I was giving up smoking. Haven't picked it up on probably 2 years.

Mighty isn't the best for flavour, plus I don't favour the vapour personally but others really like it. You'll never see me buy one.

I've not tried the pax, and probably won't get an opportunity to but I don't feel like I'm missing out.

If you're a flavour chaser on a budget, my preferred all glass torch vape is the elev8r. Great on a bong or with the wand. The trrw and similar glass vapes are also great, but there isn't a pure convection setup where you aren't inhaling butane exhaust afaik.

Dustin McKief

Hello all,

I've recently moved away from battery vapes and have been enjoying DynaVap with an induction heater. I find that I get better flavor and vapor production from the vapcaps vs Pax or firefly vapes.

How does this community feel about vapcaps vs traditional battery powered vapes?
It sounds like you may have a portable IH, so technically you're still using a 'battery vape'. The difference is the amount of control you have over oven heating vs the Pax. The firefly is convection, and while I've never used one, all of the reviews I've read seem to give it high marks for flavor.

After the first couple of draws, I find that flavor becomes less enjoyable with any vape that I've tried (conduction or convection). The Dynavap has the advantage of a small chamber, so if you're a flavor chaser you can do multiple smaller loads. When it comes to the Dynavap, I do enjoy the feel of the heat, roasty flavor and MTL style draws.

I can't stand the dynavap any more, although it was definitely very helpful while I was giving up smoking. Haven't picked it up on probably 2 years.

Mighty isn't the best for flavour, plus I don't favour the vapour personally but others really like it. You'll never see me buy one.

I've not tried the pax, and probably won't get an opportunity to but I don't feel like I'm missing out.

If you're a flavour chaser on a budget, my preferred all glass torch vape is the elev8r. Great on a bong or with the wand. The trrw and similar glass vapes are also great, but there isn't a pure convection setup where you aren't inhaling butane exhaust afaik.
This is super helpful. Care to explain why you can't stand the Dynavaps anymore? Just curious.
I'm definitely interested in the all glass ones you mentioned.

spokeydokey90,
@spokeydokey90 Do you prefer the flavor of the DV pver the flavor of the Firefly 2??? Not strange if you do though, ive got a friend who always uses his pax 2 instead of his Enano because "it tastes better", but id never choose a pax over an enano. go figure!
I do prefer the flavor of the DV over the Firefly 2 +, however that could simply be due to more vapor production of the DV. Maybe if the FF2 produced more vapor I'd get more flavor. It just seems that I get the best balance of flavor and vapor production from the DV.

spokeydokey90,
Reactions: cosimo

hinglemccringleberry

Yep, I would encourage you to try the more flavorful torch devices, like the vapman, sticky bricks, and the glass TRWW vapes. You will be surprised.

I'd also say that I would put most of my favorite battery vapes above the two you mentioned on flavor. TM was already mentioned, but even the Xmax v3 pro is tastier than my experience with the pax. Also various other convection battery vapes.

Of course these days I almost always use my desktops. Love my logs but the Atlas is also very tasty. I'd put my FP above the vapcaps too, ofc.
I get super terpy hits on a freshly cleaned Ti Dynavap, heating it to low temps, sometimes before it even clicks. I'll sometimes heat it like you would a Vapman. The flavor is very very good, anything but mediocre.
I also get super terpy hits with my Milaana 3. The level of initial terpiness is the same between the two, with the caveat that the flavor goes downhill fast on a DV the dirtier it gets, and the all-convection vapes like the Milaana have much better, more detailed roasted flavor several hits in to the load.

But as far as the initial terpiness of the first hit, convection and conduction has always been the same to me. My Goboof Alfa, a "conduction shitbox" by today's standards, gave me the best terpy flavor I've ever experienced from a flower vape simply because the load was big, a macrodoser by my standards. It was the flavor on the last part of the session that sucked, and that I feel is where conduction's inferiority shows itself.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

I actually find the flavors with DVs to be not bad at all considering, but I try to be fairly easy with my heating. A low-temp cap helps too. That said, there are better options. Can't opine on battery devices, but GY's list of torch vapes is right on. The glass ones will produce the best flavor, all things being equal, and also some enormous hits if necessary. One's more or less as good as another of the current glass vapes, though the bigger ones do a heroic job of retaining heat.

My recommendations:
1 DV of your choice, 1 brick of your choice, a Vapman, and a glass vape: heavy if you want the power or a smaller one for terp sipping.

I get super terpy hits on a freshly cleaned Ti Dynavap, heating it to low temps, sometimes before it even clicks. I'll sometimes heat it like you would a Vapman. The flavor is very, very good, anything but mediocre.
I also get super terpy hits with my Milaana 3. The level of initial terpiness is the same between the two, with the caveat that the flavor goes downhill fast on a DV the dirtier it gets, and the all-convection vapes like the Milaana have much better, more detailed roasted flavor several hits in to the load. But as far as the initial terpiness of the first hit, convection and conduction has always been the same to me.
Interesting take, thanks. I have a few Ti DV pieces and I also heat to low temps, even using a low temp cap occasionally, and I've always felt it was the best performance I'd had in a portable vape. I'll look into that Milaana model you mention.

I actually find the flavors with DVs to be not bad at all considering, but I try to be fairly easy with my heating. A low-temp cap helps too. That said, there are better options. Can't opine on battery devices, but GY's list of torch vapes is right on. The glass ones will produce the best flavor, all things being equal, and also some enormous hits if necessary. One's more or less as good as another of the current glass vapes, though the bigger ones do a heroic job of retaining heat.

My recommendations:
1 DV of your choice, 1 brick of your choice, a Vapman, and a glass vape: heavy if you want the power or a smaller one for terp sipping.
This is a great comment, thank you! I've already started researching some of the recommended glass vapes as an alternative.

spokeydokey90,
Reactions: coolbreeze

coolbreeze

This is a great comment, thank you! I've already started researching some of the recommended glass vapes as an alternative.
Don't know if you are familiar, but if you want the OG glass vape that inspired many of the current ones--and the Dynavap--the Vaponic is still available and is still one of the best vapes ever.

Also, you may like the Roasty, an awesome conduction vape with pretty decent flavor:

Farid

Not always possible for those who don't like small doses, but if you just pack a crumb in a dynavap, you can easily kill it in one heat cycle. That completely eliminates any "roasty" flavors you might get on subsequent cycles.

darbarikanada

I have a DV, almost never use it - my 'go to' is my mighty, which I've had for 7+ years. what you won't see on the mighty thread are long discussions of the best ways to use it - because it's so simple. the only thing the DV does better than the mighty (IMHO) is vaping hard hash. the DV is fun (and brilliant), but it takes too much attention for my taste - and my attention gets pretty compromised when I'm getting baked! I'm sure I could improve on the mighty's flavor with a TM or P80, but I'm more than happy with the flavor I get from the mighty (and you never have to stir the mighty to get even-colored ABV). another thing I like about the mighty is how stealthy it is; since everyone's puffing away on mod-based e-cigs out there, most people don't look at me twice when I use the mighty in public. (using a DV in public looks like you're smoking crack!).

hinglemccringleberry

I have a DV, almost never use it - my 'go to' is my mighty, which I've had for 7+ years. what you won't see on the mighty thread are long discussions of the best ways to use it - because it's so simple. the only thing the DV does better than the mighty (IMHO) is vaping hard hash
The DV has been my daily flower driver for 6 years because it's stupid simple to use and clean and requires nearly zero effort for me to get medicated.
With a Mighty I would be stressing about the cleaning of that cooling unit among other things....
Once I'm retired, a Mighty would be awesome but right now it's just too much.

Last edited:

badbee

I have several good convection vapes and the VC (Vong) is still in my top two of vapes reached for. It's by far the most efficient. It has more "metal" taste than other vapes but luckily I'm not overly sensitive to that. There are times when the small chamber and tight draw are just not what I want and it's time for something else. I mostly heat with the Wand so I'm still dependent on batteries...

GoldenBud

It's by far the most efficient.
you mean that you get good vapor from like 0.05gr or so? Definately agree. but still some percentage of the terpenes are being cooked BEFORE you take the draw....

GoldenBud,

badbee

you mean that you get good vapor from like 0.05gr or so? Definately agree. but still some percentage of the terpenes are being cooked BEFORE you take the draw....
I hate it when I reach for the VC and accidentally push air into the airport with my finger and that little puff of vapor comes out the top. Hey, get back here you little cloud bastard...

Overall I think that terpene loss isn't too significant.

GoldenBud

Overall I think that terpene loss isn't too significant.
you heat the cap for like 15-25 seconds before the draw, it steals some taste, although heating @ Medium with Ti tip is great
but aiming @ High... I prefer any convection vape with a good preheat

GoldenBud,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yes, I've used the firefly 2 plus which is full convention, right? I've also used larger table vapes.

Sort of, that doesn't make it the same as other convection vapes though, tinymight is far superior (glass stem-based pure convection on demand is pretty tough to beat)

Hm, good to know. For some reason Ive always felt like the terps were optimal out of the DV but I need to explore other options.

Everyone is different as you see, sensitivities to different materials and styles of extraction, plenty of other variables... Only way to know for sure is to try much more!

I'm definitely a Flavor chaser and want to get as much terps out of a hit as possible.

Yeah this is how I lean and tend to milk low temperatures as a result, also more pure glass chambers and pathways, stainless steel and ceramic also okay though... Nothing is perfect but I am lucky to have some really great options in my collection now: Tinymight/2, lamart TetraP80 & BAKx, Cloud Connoisseur Halo & Atlas, ToastyTop Heat Islands & GTR, RBT Milaana and Splinterz, among others...

This is super helpful. Care to explain why you can't stand the Dynavaps anymore? Just curious.
I'm definitely interested in the all glass ones you mentioned.

I actually do not like dynavap much either, I have the original all glass version except for the metal vap cap of course and screen, had an OG Tiwood & Omnivap that I sold as I just could not get on with them well at all... I'm sure they have come a long way now, but I've never really been interested in jumping in again, only ever use my OG all glass with the silicone mouthpiece through water on a rare occasion which has been over two years ago now lol

I'm just not so into that torch ritual and the type of hybrid vapor, but I do like my Lamart Piro a lot (still don't use it much though, but it is the one I would reach for compared to my sticky bricks and other similar style now) and I use a bigger torch for quartz banger dabbing on regular occasion, so I decided to early adopt thermal accumulator and have been getting on quite well with it actually although not frequently as I do often prefer battery powered (or plug-in) for my own convenience??

I do prefer the flavor of the DV over the Firefly 2 +, however that could simply be due to more vapor production of the DV. Maybe if the FF2 produced more vapor I'd get more flavor. It just seems that I get the best balance of flavor and vapor production from the DV.

Yeah the FF2+ is a pretty terrible benchmark for pure convection honestly, compared to those other ones I listed above it is pretty poor vape to rely on imo, I got one new for a steal like $100 and that is what they should cost... It's pretty tedious to use, compared to the others and keep clean, it is finicky with a steep learning curve to get the most out of it, even with constant stirring it is easy to overcook and spoil the flavor although the first hits especially with low temps can be quite delicious and smooth, the build and plastics are pretty disappointing (I have a lot of nostalgia for the original which was heavy metal with plenty of its own flaws haha so I like having it for the occasional fun with chunky grind or a whole nug better yet)

Meanwhile I had and sold the mighty, because that session style hybrid, and all the plastic outside design, just isn't for me... Again thanks to the ones I listed above I am totally spoiled for top tier vapor quality, robust density with potent flavor, versatile use with fairly full control and full capability. However there are a lot of other great options for similar pure powerful vapes today under the radar so to speak from the mainstream offerings :tup:

Top Bottom