• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Does a burn-safe desktop heavy exist?

JEMSKU

The new ball injector vapes that have been coming out are extremely impressive in their performance. Having my own fair share of vape-related burns, however, has given me a lot of hesitancy in bringing any of them home.

I own a ball modded SSV. I consider it one of the safer heavies but there is certainly still the chance to contact the heater cover while using it. Once, a less vape-aware friend of mine touched it directly on the heater cover while I wasn't looking and burned himself. Obviously I share fault here as I should have warned him, but I am looking for a vape where this isn't even a possibility. (I know some people use the essential oil cover, but it can't be used with the hands-free shim).

I also own a woodscents. Once when I was just reaching for something next to it, my fat uncoordinated finger got into it and hugged the heating element. The dynavap tips also get very hot and have burned me with just a graze. It's not quite a heavy, but I wanted to bring it up to illustrate that even fairly safe designs with recessed heaters can get us now and again.

The VXL Evo may have had the safety I'm looking for, but the exposed glass core is way too delicate for such a critical and expensive part of the vape, IMO. Especially now that it's discontinued.

Just to get ahead of the recommendation, I don't know how hot the vents on Volcanos get after running them, my hunch is that it could burn, but regardless I'm not interested in the volcano. I concede it's one of the safest designs out there.

The chance for any lasting damage from a vape burn is real low, but nonetheless it's one of the last problems I feel is left to solve in modern vaporizer design. In actuality we have gone backwards in design here among top-tier desktop vaporizers.

I would be happy to get a recommendation for a vape I haven't considered, but I'm also just looking for discussion here. Why has burn safety been largely ignored in desktop design?

Texus

I think your best bet might be a Collyland VapBong or OAB. The clay around the heater gets hot, but not instant burn hot, and the heating element is not where anyone could ever accidentally graze it. And if you are growing or aren't particularly concerned with preserving flower, you can fill that ball with a lot of herb (like maybe up to 2g!). And the open airflow is glorious, unlike anything else I've used.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I think you will be interested in a new upcoming log design from Alan that can use female 18.8 mm glass... CouchLog could be a safer one perhaps too? But yeah, maybe you need some sort of heat shield cage you can put over any desktop vape you are leaving on without directly using??

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I am on the list for the 18.8mm socket version. Excited to try my existing glass stems in it. I haven't seen it officially announced so I don't know if we can share the name?

Haha yeah I have been coy AF just teasing it until Alan starts the thread himself! There are clues of it in the long HI thread already...

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Back on topic, I do think the CouchLog is a good recommendation. It has an encased heater. It has a magnet stand to prevent tipping. It seems like safety was one of Beefcake's design criteria.

Although I suspect some heat may come out of the top, so I suppose it may give you the same problem you found with your Woodscents. Mine is on the way, but if you check out the thread I'm sure other folks will share their experiences.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
One has to be carefull around vaporizers,that is for sure. Even with the Couchlog you can burn yourself on the stem if you are not careful,or even touch the heater with your finger if you are careless enough . Anyway your friend is on the right way,it takes just a few burns and the caution gets etched on your mind.:
Once i handed Supreme Vaporizer 2 after heating the metal block with a torch for 2 minutes in front of a guys eyes, he decides that the heater is the mouthpiece,the print from his lips remained forever and couldnt not be cleaned even with extra effort. I am pretty sure if someone passed him a dab rig,he would put the banger in his mouth :D...

Last edited:

cptofnthng

well If youre clumsy, dont play with hot things or work in becoming more attentive.
I m OK with the occasional burn, im a bit clumsy myself.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Second for vapbong. As said, the heater ball gets hot but slight touch will not result in a burn.

You would have to grab the ball purposeful like shaolin monks with the fire pot kung Fu style.

Shaolin-Forearm-Branding-6.png

VapBong and CouchLog are my desktop "heavies" and I find them reasonably safe. I have the same concerns as you about the coil-driven vapes and it's definitely one reason I have avoided them to date. With the VapBong and CouchLog, I never worry about getting horribly burned. Both hit hard!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
In actuality we have gone backwards in design here among top-tier desktop vaporizers.

I would be happy to get a recommendation for a vape I haven't considered, but I'm also just looking for discussion here. Why has burn safety been largely ignored in desktop design?

people care about safety but there’s not really a large demand for something all polished and buttoned up like that in that ~$500-$700+ price range, so most people take the cost saving route instead, at the expense of an exposed coil.

At the end of the day when burn safety is the main goal it’s easier to just buy an on demand portable.

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
Put a heat shield on a HighLighter and that is pretty safe. If an SSV is too dangerous maybe heavies aren't for you :) (just teasing)
But what about your poor eyes when you inevitably gaze into the light?

IMO The Underdog alpha+ is the safest heavy, although I may be one of the few people in possession of one...

Philabrookla,

Corvoed

Cannabis Crusader
Not sure if mentioned already, but I've been personally liking the E-nano XL since I got it. I was initially skeptical about how nice the vapor production would be, but I am thoroughly impressed by it! It pumps them out with some of the best imo. The heater can burn you if you touch it directly, but it's still a log vape, so it's at least much more enclosed than the e-nail options currently available

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
With ruby balls, that light looks like a glowing heat source,
preventing someone from sticking their finger in there.

And between the black core, shield, and ruby balls, there's not much bright light leaking.
I'm talking about with the halogen bulb pressed right against the screen like it's supposed to be, and in a nice log set up, light shining up to the ceiling.

Eventually you find you are looking down the barrel by mistake, if only for a second.

Maybe I'm dumb, but lots of folks out there are dumber than I.

Philabrookla,

JEMSKU

well If youre clumsy, dont play with hot things or work in becoming more attentive.
I m OK with the occasional burn, im a bit clumsy myself.
Ridiculous comment. We are talking about devices intended to induce altered states. Even if one could be reasonably expected to maintain full alertness during use, accidents happen, by your own admission. Little burns aren't life changing but I would certainly do without them given the option, the point being the designs exist to make this a non-issue but very few have actually been brought to market.

I think your best bet might be a Collyland VapBong or OAB. The clay around the heater gets hot, but not instant burn hot, and the heating element is not where anyone could ever accidentally graze it. And if you are growing or aren't particularly concerned with preserving flower, you can fill that ball with a lot of herb (like maybe up to 2g!). And the open airflow is glorious, unlike anything else I've used.
I was enamoured by this vape when it was first coming to light, but I've talked myself out of it. The combination of the price and the breakable bowls that can't be easily replaced being the major issues for me. I was under the impression that the heater ball was burning hot so I'm glad to see I was mistaken about that at least.

I am actually very interested in this. I will be watching the thread!

Thanks also to those who recommended the highlighter, the actual hot bits are recessed quite far below the opening compared to the metal heater logs.

people care about safety but there’s not really a large demand for something all polished and buttoned up like that in that ~$500-$700+ price range, so most people take the cost saving route instead, at the expense of an exposed coil.

At the end of the day when burn safety is the main goal it’s easier to just buy an on demand portable.
I'm not sure I agree with your cost assessment on this one, especially given the recommendations for the highlighter illustrating a very budget option that does a better job of tucking away the hot bits than many more expensive options.

Funny you mention the portables, I've been using my Starry V3 at home a fair bit and it's what got me thinking about this topic. At max temp through water it's a fucking trip, I consider it a heavy hitter. Obviously it's a burn-safe vape if it's not opened during use. I realize that this is a product of a heater design that needs to be more insulated and efficient than a mains-powered heater, but between the safety benefits and lower power consumption I was scratching my head as to why this hasn't really been used in corded vapes.

I think some of the companies trying to appeal to the public masses are conscious of this, when I think about it, a lack of burn safety is mostly the problem of enthusiast devices, where maybe a lot of us don't see it as a problem needing fixing... The dynavap being the exception to this rule.

I suppose you're right, the crossover market between enthusiast users seeking an endless supply of power for their consumption devices and casual users who want an intrinsically safe device must be small.

Last edited:

checkyourlibido

Ridiculous comment. We are talking about devices intended to induce altered states. Even if one could be reasonably expected to maintain full alertness during use, accidents happen, by your own admission. Little burns aren't life changing but I would certainly do without them given the option, the point being the designs exist to make this a non-issue but very few have actually been brought to market.
Agree completely. Not to mention that some people that vape are doing so for medical purposes. And some of them have real underlying medical problems that could be a cause for concern. I use a B1, but I can't say it's my endgame, because I don't plan to be using devices like this when I get a bit older. I'm already at an age where I'm at an increased risk of stroke and cardiac issues.

I mean, I was a paramedic/firefighter for years. Most people don't plan to have accidents and medical problems that require 911. Better safe than sorry to me. I'm sure there are many people in my field and on this forum that may disagree with me. That's okay, to each their own. We all have to set our individual risk tolerance.

cvs8floz

Not sure if mentioned already, but I've been personally liking the E-nano XL since I got it. I was initially skeptical about how nice the vapor production would be, but I am thoroughly impressed by it! It pumps them out with some of the best imo. The heater can burn you if you touch it directly, but it's still a log vape, so it's at least much more enclosed than the e-nail options currently available
I love the eNano but it has given me more burns than any other vape, mostly from leaving the hot glass sitting in the bong and reaching over it, leading to several burn circles on the underside of my front arm. I have used the FP daily for years now and have not once burned myself with it, so I consider coil-based vapes perfectly safe.

Top Bottom