• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

DIY Hakko + SSV Heater Cover

vaelrenx

Acolyte of Zinglon said:
i originally tryed bending the metal peice from the heater cover to keep it cenetered but it didnt wrk vary well for me
AoZ I tried this exact same thing lol. The spacer isn't tight enough to the element so it doesn't hold it very well. I understand the idea behind the spacer I just found that with the cork I was able to bend the heater cover over so that it lined up with the element and not the other way around. It holds it quite firmly in that position (and Im gentle :)) and it stays very centered too.

I reccomend any of you who want to do this modification should - I have little to no experience in the woodshop and it took me about 10 minutes to make the cork piece. Just some sandpaper, a drill, and a vice.

vtac said:
Do you guys know which spacer you have?

Wonder if it matters.

http://www.silversurfervap.com/heater_covers.htm said:
When you replace your heater cover please look to see if your heater stand is perforated or the solid stainless steel. They are different sizes and require different spacers. We need to know what to fit your heater cover to. All new SSVs have the stainless steel. If your SSV is an older model you more than likely have the perforated. This was an upgrade we did.
doesn't matter unless your using it for the silver surfer - either will do. (I left it blank and they sent that one)

vaelrenx,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
decided to fire up the hakko wand tonight, give it some lovin'... luke wilson disc diffused bowl + lux mini

aznfknpride,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
there you go with those crazy hand veins again! LOL

seriously tho, that hakko wand you made is pretty sick, you got a dimmer on that? I thought your GF made you sell the thing?

stonemonkey55,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
LOL. Yes, it's got a dimmer on it.. she wanted me to sell it but it never sold, lol. It's just taking up space and I decided I'd fire it up last night, forgot how it ripped :brow: maybe I'll make another vid with the wicked sands tiny tube tonight or tomorrow...

aznfknpride,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
jklasd said:
isn't that the mini phaser temp control.
nice hit sir :D do up more vids.
Yeah, you're right.. the mini phaser. Guess it's not called a dimmer? Lol, same smell :p

aznfknpride,

jklasd

haha yea i have the dimmer. didn't work out like it planned. im gonna order the phaser and hope for better results.

jklasd,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Here are some pics of the bowl I use:
DSCN5860.jpg

It's got a glass screen rather than your conventional push, similar to an ice pinch but much better IMHO.... It's made by Luke Wilson, it's 14mm. Perfect fit for the hakko wand.

Here's an old vid of a rip out of my now broken inline (I was using an 18mm LW bowl on it, there was too much flow (shitty vapor/air ratio).. still got a decent rip out of it.

I need to get better lighting and a better camera, just using my digi cam and a desk lamp lol.

EDIT: VEINSSSS LOL

aznfknpride,

jklasd

so, i got my mini phaser. and the problem was indeed the dimmer. ive been blowing clouds ever since. :brow::lol::o:D:D:ko::D:ko::brow::lol::D:D:ko::ko::ko::ko::ko::ko: fucking right. i think im gonna do up the cork idea, that vaelrenx suggested. the tubing and clamp isn't keeping it in place for some reason. my friend suggested heat resistant cocking, not sure how that would really work. but a def update is needed regardless of what it ends up being.

jklasd,

jklasd

thats the only weird part. its high 40's-low 50's that cook the bowl. im not sure why, but its an even cook so. it works so thats the best part.

jklasd,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
jklasd said:
thats the only weird part. its high 40's-low 50's that cook the bowl. im not sure why, but its an even cook so. it works so thats the best part.
thats about the temp range that i was using

Acolyte of Zinglon,

jklasd

perhaps not that weird then? i just remember, AoZ, you were also one of the high temped ones where the other stated 35-40. not sure why the difference: same iron, same wall plug, same phaser. i suppose how hard you hit it, but i cant imagine hitting it at 35 on mine. id have to dry very very very super slow. id pass out before i get much vapo(u)r.

jklasd,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Yup, same here. Mine works best around high 50/almost 60... might be the wiring in the house, or the 3 plugstrips I have snaked off of each other, lol. I'll probably be putting up a couple more videos sometime today.. got some new glass :D

aznfknpride,

ghib

can anyone tell me the approximate inner diameter of the ssv heater cover?

ghib,

jklasd

yea ive been having to go higgher for this weed, im low 50's to high 50's.
ghib, i could be wrong but its probably around 3/8th-1/2". ill have to measure for sure but im using it ATM. its def mention in the SSV thread of you wanna have a look in there

jklasd,

ghib

Thanks for the response, I'd really appreciate if you could measure it or point me in the right direction to find it. I looked at the ssv thread and searched but had trouble find it.

ghib,

ghib

bump. I'm trying to find the inner diameter of the ssv heater cover to make sure it will fit on my soldering iron.

ghib,

MacRadish

handheld SSV (merged)

Hello All,

In about 30 minutes I took an SSV heater/heater cover/metal base from a donor SSV and attached it to a Jensen brand soldering iron. I also swapped in the SSVs long flexible power cord.

When I cobbled it together (actually, no cobbling, they both mated like they were made for each other, including the lining up of the screw holes for that tin metal SSV base to attach to where the iron shaft was) I knew others must have done it before, and as I search I see that is true.

Can anyone recommend a bowl to use with this set up? Any opinions if the Vapro bowl would mate? Their overpriced wand (exactly what I made it seems, but theirs has protection for burns) has what appears to be the same looking heater cover shape as the SSV, possibly making their bowl mate well with an SSV heater cover. Also thinking of giving the VaporBat a whirl although it might be too big in diameter to seat flush with an SSV heater cover.

Still currently using a custom SSV outside in the garage while I tinker and a handcarved VG inside the house in the "smoking room" (wife still smokes tobacco) but lately been thinking I would like to sit down with my handheld SSV and give it a whirl.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rich

MacRadish,

MacRadish

DevoTheStrange said:
check out this thread..
Yes, I did already, found that in the search to see if what I had made was already done. Beautiful looking end product but just a bit more complicated then what I went through. The only thing the soldering iron was good for in my application was its heat resistant handle and the way the actual iron plugged into it allowing for an easy swap of an SSV heater/heater cover assy in its place.

I don't use a bong and I guess I should have been more clear in my 1st post. I am looking for a handheld bowl that might mate up nicely with the SSV heater cover outlet. A VG with top works, barely, but you have to draw awfully slow to reach a good vaping temp.

I just ordered Vapro's "New Improved Vapro Handpipe" to give it and the SSV wand a whirl.

Thanks.

MacRadish,

MacRadish

ghib said:
bump. I'm trying to find the inner diameter of the ssv heater cover to make sure it will fit on my soldering iron.
I will measure mine this evening and report back.

MacRadish,

FEAR420

Do you guys think something like this would work??? Its just a thought... http://www.aoyue.com/en/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=420

Aoyue is basically a Hakko Chinese knock-off company or the company that builds Hakko's products,I forget which....I have their 937+ digital Soldering station(FULLY ROHS Compliant) and was considering it for this,and didnt recall its exact temp range.Which is how I wound up on their home page.Then I saw this & was thinking it just MIGHT work.

Its $90 on Amazon,has a fully adjustable analog/dial fan & temp settings & a stand for the heater wand...Whats your take/input on something like this??

FEAR420,
Top Bottom