Differences between log vapes.

SquirrelMaster

I currently have just the one desktop (Hybrid) but I've had a log vape on my mind for quite a while now. My question is between the different logs out there, let's say the E-nano, Woodscents, Heat Island, and Underdog in what areas is each different from a purely functional standpoint, or is it purely athetics?

The bowl size seems to be similar on all four as far as I can tell. The Underdog with the glass stem looks like it's possibly the largest bowl?
How about taste? With varying amounts of metal in the vapour path between each is there a perceivable difference between them?
I also assume they all need a few minutes (10?) to heat soak for the best effects?

The Woodscents with the titanium tip or the nylon stem w SS tip for the Underdog are probably the best options for microdosing. I’m not too familiar with the stems for HI. I know Alan has a ton of different options for those.

I can’t really compare performance as I’ve only used the Woodscents, but I absolutely love that vape and highly recommend it. The Underdog is on my list and I fully intend on owning one at some point.

Gigsabits57

I would say all those log vapes are great. I like Underdog because of the stem options and their customer service is excellent. They take care of you if you have a problem. I have no experience with Ed's or any of the others mentioned. I dont recall seeing a bad review of any of them.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Alan makes a wide variety of log types, he has standard steel core, hybrid glass core, very budget friendly bamboo options, larger Solo-stem-accepting sized HI's too now that can also work with a halogen heater... He can make any custom size or shape you want basically with a wide variety of wood choices... Then the stem possibilities are endless, he can make the same microdose stems like WS and UD have, all types of steel and wood and glass, even cork and silicone options available... And he also makes his own micro vvps to use with them as well.

I have two lovely customs from him now, a standard heat island and a HIbrid, with custom curvy bodies in exotic wood. I first had an Underdog for a while (sold to a member when my name came up on the list for HI), not sure exactly how it stacks up to what's currently available, since I got it right before there became so many different UD types. It served me very very well, and was a great deal with so many accessories, four stems and their mini vvps (not sure they have a vvps anymore yet) plus yes the customer service is amazing, they're such great folks!

I have yet to try an E-Nano or Woodscents, but would still like to some day... and new Underdogs!

arb

Semi shaved ape
I have all except alans.......so far.
Multiple units from nano and underdog and waiting on a alpha dog now.
They all are different,unique and beautiful.
Also extremely collectable and addictive.
Get one of each resale value is good but I doubt you will sell.

unklmark

If you're into amazing exotic woods,and incredible woodworking... Get a Woodscents.... Only log I own, in my opinion the nicest looking of the ones I've seen..
I just got my Japenese Elm Burl recently and it is Stunning!!! Plus works with all Dynavap caps so you can use any stem..IMG_20200602_101821104.jpg

The Stranger

Account Closed
I just got my Japenese Elm Burl recently and it is Stunning!!! Plus works with all Dynavap caps so you can use any stem..View attachment 1205
Damn that is a nice looking log for sure.

Sort of miss my Enano, feeling the warm wood in your hands..but the unwieldiness was too much. The cord and long glass stem sticking out was awkward. A nice wooden stem would be semi better.

I would think they're all basically the same, just aesthetics.

Shit Snacks

Having used two different HI and UD I can say it is definitely not just aesthetics, though they are all certainly equally effective I would say! There are various differences in the builds and such that just result in slightly different experiences I've found.

IMG-20200605-191229376.jpg

Sorry for the crappy potato phone camera photo, but here are my two custom Heat Islands, on the left is standard steel core in Tigre Caspi wood with a Pink Ivory wood cap, on the right is hybrid glass core in Black Ash Burl with Purpleheart cap...

im not a robot

1591535676929.png

i only recently got a woodscents, and i love it so. no idea what i had been missing before, but the log experience took me by surprise and suits me perfectly i think. i love how it feels to use it, its pace, how long material in it lasts. but i also prefer using smaller amounts generally, and i have yet to connect it to a waterpipe (need to buy one first). taste is really good in the woodscents. best taste for me in a vape so far, but i only tried a handful. i cannot compare the woodscents' taste to other logs, and i would expect them to be pretty equal given that there is at least some possible variation in stems with all of them. it honestly could have been any of the above mentioned logs for me. i find them all attractive & none of them are particularly easy to get in europe (underdog & enano are impossible i think?).
in the end the dynavap compatibility of the ws was a huge deciding factor for me, i know i will not be able to resist collecting some nice artisanal stems in the future, and i love being able to switch to a torch experience towards the end of a load on the fly.

crazily i also signed up for alan's HI list. the pandemic inspired some ill-advised e-shopping for me, but i am glad my name is on that list (i dodged a bullet not also ordering one of his extremely affordable, and attractive, square HIs) - being able to completely customise your log is really very cool, my sense is anything that is possible is possible with alan, and now that i know how it feels to actually use a log, i can appreciate that even more. i have no idea how long his wait list is atm. what has been suggested to me when i was out looking for a log, is putting my name on the custom wait list & ordering one of his premade units to bridge the wait time. i think you can get a walnut / maple square HI for $100 (excluding power supply). the bamboo HIs are even cheaper, that clearly is great value imo.

in the various log threads i browsed i came across some pretty impressive collections. initially i never really understood why one would own more than one, seemed excessive. and it is of course, but as functional objects they truly are gorgeous. i can see a log collection happening to me.

main-qimg-b39df58e5174d957c205dc99aafc449f

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I'm going to end up owning a few of these over time, I can tell, I need to feed this wood addiction I've developed. The Woodscents are on my list but they're a future purchase when I have more funds rolling in. Your unit @unklmark is really damn nice, definitely of my favourites to come from his shop. Same with your piece @im not a robot that's a very nice block. I had read about the new heater, it sounds pretty slick, plus he just picks some amazing blocks to work with.

I'm leaning more towards the Underdog and Heat Island on price alone. Times are tough so I should at least plan to spend less :lol:. The Alpha dog sounds really cool, I need to read up more on those and the more powerful heater. Also since they're coming back from a fire I'm more inclined to make sure they're up and running. I'm going to keep looking at their device. I've messaged Alan to get on his list for now, if it's anything like the Nomad I'll be waiting a while before my number comes up anyways and I've looked at his units quite a few times over the past months so it was about time I got the ball rolling. Holy hell does he make a dizzying array of stems and HI choices! I was up all night combing way through the HI thread as well as the iHeat thread (on Alan's advice) which looks very interesting. Between @Shit Snacks two tone units, the "volcono" that was posted recently, the square HI or the countless other designs he's made I'm pretty excited at the thought of all the options available.

Your collection is beautiful @MELTING Pot those burl units you have are jaw dropping. I need some burl in my life.

@warren0728 Did you go for the standard heater or the alpha?

@rebar It's funny how I've bought things in the past with the idea of a high resale value when I know I'm going to hog it all to myself anways :D.

SquirrelMaster

i'm going with the standard heater ... better selection of stems for one reason ... maybe an alpha dog down the road sometime!

Yeah I had thought about stem selection, but I'm not that far in my planning yet. How long did the custom process take for your device? I'm still undecided on which would be a better route for me but I'm really enjoying reading back through the old thread and Instagram posts. The more I read the more I want to be part of the Underdog family 😁. The techdog coming later this year sounds pretty cool as well.

warren0728

Yeah I had thought about stem selection, but I'm not that far in my planning yet. How long did the custom process take for your device? I'm still undecided on which would be a better route for me but I'm really enjoying reading back through the old thread and Instagram posts. The more I read the more I want to be part of the Underdog family 😁. The techdog coming later this year sounds pretty cool as well.
i kinda gave dave @Underdog Log Vapes carte blanche ... i gave him some basic thoughts on what i liked and i'm letting him take it from there ... letting the artist create a piece of art with as little direction as possible from me! so my process is probably different from most folks ... but dave is a pleasure to work with ... can't wait to get my first dog (and first log vape)!

Summer

Long Island, NY
Having used two different HI and UD I can say it is definitely not just aesthetics, though they are all certainly equally effective I would say! There are various differences in the builds and such that just result in slightly different experiences I've found.

Well, do tell what, iyo, are the "slightly different experiences?"

Shit Snacks

Well, do tell what, iyo, are the "slightly different experiences?"

Haha nothing I can describe in words exactly, like difference between other pure convection vapes that are built differently with different heaters... Subtle, but noticeable, you know? I also don't have all of these to compare directly in person now...

Last edited:
Shit Snacks,

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
You could, of course, also build your own Log Vape. Handrails make formidable bodies w/o having to resort to a lathe 😁 :pd:

This here is my DIY Misty Log, which I can do with a variety of cores (9mm steel core, accepting UD & HI compatible 5/16" steel tips and 10mm ID glass stems/tips; and a wider 11mm steel core, accepting 10mm Dynavap tips and Arizer Air/Solo glass stems and GonGs :nod:

The heater varies from the classical 7w/20ohm Ohmite resistor, like in the HI,
over the 7,5w steel clad ceramic heater cartridge, like is also used in the UD,
over the 10w steel clad ceramic heater cartridge, which I suppose Ed is now also using in his WS Logs;
... to a 10w halogen bulb, like in Alan's new Square Halo HI 💡

Top Bottom