Differences between log vapes.

SquirrelMaster

You could, of course, also build your own Log Vape. Handrails make formidable bodies w/o having to resort to a lathe 😁 :pd:

This here is my DIY Misty Log, which I can do with a variety of cores (9mm steel core, accepting UD & HI compatible 5/16" steel tips and 10mm ID glass stems/tips; and a wider 11mm steel core, accepting 10mm Dynavap tips and Arizer Air/Solo glass stems and GonGs :nod:

The heater varies from the classical 7w/20ohm Ohmite resistor, like in the HI,
over the 7,5w steel clad ceramic heater cartridge, like is also used in the UD,
over the 10w steel clad ceramic heater cartridge, which I suppose Ed is now also using in his WS Logs;
... to a 10w halogen bulb, like in Alan's new Square Halo HI 💡

I've been so busy with house work and researching grow lights but I had started looking into building my own log. It seems pretty simple in theory; I don't have access to a lathe but I have a friend with other tools for making square blocks and a drill press. We'll hack something together :lol:. He wants to make something for himself as well so it could be fun.

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
I've been so busy with house work and researching grow lights but I had started looking into building my own log. It seems pretty simple in theory; I don't have access to a lathe but I have a friend with other tools for making square blocks and a drill press. We'll hack something together :lol:. He wants to make something for himself as well so it could be fun.
No need for a lathe, actually 😉. You can get nice, round wooden handrails in any DIY market. I cut the bodies for my Misty Logs from 4cm outer diameter cherry, mahogany-sapele and walnut handrails and then use a drill press and a 25mm Forstner bit for drilling out the heater and base wells.
Just make sure, that the handrails are untreated.

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

No need for a lathe, actually 😉. You can get nice, round wooden handrails in any DIY market. I cut the bodies for my Misty Logs from 4cm outer diameter cherry, mahogany-sapele and walnut handrails and then use a drill press and a 25mm Forstner bit for drilling out the heater and base wells.
Just make sure, that the handrails are untreated.

I didn't know they came round! I was picturing cutting a chunk from one my rails which are more square. Thank you for the tips, I need to order some parts up so at least they're in the mail.

Top Bottom