• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

DCup Desktop Vaporizer by NewVape

Baron23

Well, somebody is getting somebody to mill and polish this shit. Probably not helpful except to perhaps show that there are indeed suppliers of this material out there....somewhere.

http://www.shoyeido.com/product/obsidian-4-inch/4-inch-round

But, looking around for stuff you will find other interesting factoids like this:

Synthetic glass ceramics had a serendipitous birth in Corning labs in the early 1950s. Research chemist Dr. Don Stookey was heating a piece of lithium disilicate glass that contained silver particles. The furnace was set to stop heating at 600° C. A malfunctioning thermostat let the temperature soar to 900° C. Instead of finding a pool of melted glass inside, though, Dr. Stookey found an opaque plate. It slipped out his tongs and fell to the floor, but didn’t shatter — leading to the development of CorningWare® cookware.
And this from Northrop Grumman...less than 10 angstroms is REALLY smooth, right?.

CERAFORM Silicon Carbide can be directly polished to <10-Angstroms rms surface finish and with figures better than 1/10 PV. AOA Xinetics also uses the CERAFORM casting process for complex mechanical structures.
So, I'm of no help...but I did learn some things. LOL

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed

Seeking Higher Ground
Manufacturer
Here's my current thoughts on the dcup and 10mm rigs. @gunmetalshark making the adapter is the easy part. It's the tipsy nature of the small rigs that concern me. The current 14, and 18mm adapters have a 1/4" thru hole. This thru hole is what determines the current draw resistance of the dcup. A 10mm adapter will require a smaller hole resulting in more restriction. The smaller hole will require a different heat post for the stand.

I feel like a smaller lighter version "a cup" might me more useful. What are your thoughts about a smaller version that might accept the puffco peak dishes?

turk

turk
..really didn’t understand the efficacy of a 10mm adapter.. not a big fan of 10mm, and it would seem the power of the dcup would overwhelm it.(imo)...I only have 1 10 mm rig, and I never use it..that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t buy one , just need to be convinced I need one .

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
Thanks for ur explanation and thoughts Edwyn !
I switched nearly totally to small 10mm low diffusion rigs for dabbing since those are imo the ones that give the best flavor.
I love big dishes (imo another key element for most flavor) so a smaller puffco sized cup would be no option for ME :)

Baron23

Here's my current thoughts on the dcup and 10mm rigs. @gunmetalshark making the adapter is the easy part. It's the tipsy nature of the small rigs that concern me. The current 14, and 18mm adapters have a 1/4" thru hole. This thru hole is what determines the current draw resistance of the dcup. A 10mm adapter will require a smaller hole resulting in more restriction. The smaller hole will require a different heat post for the stand.

I feel like a smaller lighter version "a cup" might me more useful. What are your thoughts about a smaller version that might accept the puffco peak dishes?
This is only one uninformed opinion (but its mine! haha) but no, I personally would not be interested in a banger small enough for a Peak type insert.

I have 20mm bangers and I'm attracted to the larger area of the Dcup...so, going in the other direction is not one I personally would desire.

But I make no claims to know the mind of the market in general.

Cheers

Vaporware

This is only one uninformed opinion (but its mine! haha) but no, I personally would not be interested in a banger small enough for a Peak type insert.

I have 20mm bangers and I'm attracted to the larger area of the Dcup...so, going in the other direction is not one I personally would desire.

But I make no claims to know the mind of the market in general.

Cheers

I would probably agree, but I haven’t used a 30mm or a Peak yet. The Peaks do seem to be selling well though, and I believe the Carta is a similar design that people are also buying, but maybe it’s just because these are more commonly available mass produced products? Maybe a lot of the buyers are future DCup users? :shrug:

If it’s not too much work and if it would come in at a lower price point it might be worth testing the waters.

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed

Seeking Higher Ground
Manufacturer
I received this disturbing message from TAG today. There in Hatboro, Pennsylvania. I had hoped these days were behind us. These are crazy times.

"TAG Support (Thick Ass Glass) May 8, 1:24 PM EDT
Apologies for the delay, on March 8th the local police seized all of TAGs inventory and assets, shutting us down. We are now in the process of moving to Colorado and plan to be back online within 60 days ~July 1, hopefully much sooner!. "

Vaporware

Wow, that’s terrible! I didn’t realize that Pennsylvania was still doing things like that. I’m glad they can at least get going again in a state that’s more reasonable about things like this.

Vaporware,
Reactions: JCat

Baron23

I received this disturbing message from TAG today. There in Hatboro, Pennsylvania. I had hoped these days were behind us. These are crazy times.

"TAG Support (Thick Ass Glass) May 8, 1:24 PM EDT
Apologies for the delay, on March 8th the local police seized all of TAGs inventory and assets, shutting us down. We are now in the process of moving to Colorado and plan to be back online within 60 days ~July 1, hopefully much sooner!. "
FUCK!! I can hardly believe they are going after accessory guys still these days.

Wow, how stupid. PA is med legal and is seriously considering full rec.

I generally support LEO but not when they pull this kind of Gestapo BS.

Right up there w Civil Asset Forfeiture....code phrase for legalized robbery

Wow.

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
perhaps old and wise? but your no idiot.

Edwyn I have obsidian stones and they are very fragile. I cannot believe that the cups are actual obsidian.
Based on CCA710's description, "We reverse engineered the best properties of SiC and created a proprietary ceramic material that out shines SiC in all the best ways! Welcome to the world: OBSIDIAN!", it does not sound like the material is obsidian. I took it to mean that he just used the name. I could be wrong.

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
Josh only made 4 posts on fc.com, but in his last one are some info´s on obsidian, not much but may help in some way..?

Seems at least it is some sort of ceramic and totally US sourced..?

CCA710 said:
SiC (USA made) will soon be discontinued for a new and better ceramic. I am working with a team of material engineers to develop an awesome new proprietary ceramic that is More Inert, Non-Porous, Higher Polished, & has Much Better Thermal Conductivity (compared to SiC). This material is 100% USA designed, sourced, & made....

Last edited:

wildman420

The Most Interesting Monkey in the World
Ok so geeked out yesterday and read all the literature I could on temperatures and dabbing. I went down from 635 to 550 on the Dcup. Flavor is way up and still milking the glass. Vapor quality much improved in terms of being easier on the lungs and probably getting an extra hit out of the same size Dab. Love love love the Dcup.

@NewVape710 is the flat coil that shipped with the Dcup compatible with the battery pack?

Last edited:

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed

Seeking Higher Ground
Manufacturer
Thank you @Silat for the kind words.

@wildman420 the battery we sell will power the flat coil. You thinking of venturing outdoors?

Obsidian update:
I contacted the vendor that advertises the obsidian coating on gun parts. Turns out the only thing that's obsidian is the color resemblance. Then I just started watching game of thrones and i'm seeing obsidian carved knives, spears, and arrowheads used to kill dragons and white walkers (i'm only on season 4 so don't spoil it for me). This has me wondering if obsidian dishes for a Liger banger are just marketing terms. Our supplier Bry Coat that preforms titanium nitrate coatings on our orthopedic drills says the coating looks like some type of hard chrome. They had never heard of any obsidian coating. They said most coatings are only rated to 1,100 - 1,500 deg. I sent cca710 a message via instagram inquiring about purchasing another batch. I've gotten no response to 4 plus messages.

triskelion

Would you consider making some kind of heat guard? wrap around sleek looking? this thing bites:)

triskelion,

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed

Seeking Higher Ground
Manufacturer
@triskelion IMO the concern with safety shields is once you go down that road things get real tricky. If the shield fails and someone was relying on it's suddenly it's a product failure. I'd prefer that people never forget it's dangerous and hot as fkkk. I don't believe it's any more dangerous than cooking with my cast iron skillet on my gas stove. I hope this doesn't come across as disrespectful. I completely understand your point. and wish it was an easy fix.

I made this device 5 or 6 years ago and it was way before it's time. This type of device would be easy to dust off and retrofit for the dcup or flowerpot. It could also now be made to run off the new lipo batteries. The idea is that everything remains in the package when using. The lid can be closed instantly while everything's still hot and the water can also remain in the glass. Good for tail gate parties. We made a few different models. One was the commander using a ammo can.

This type of packaging might make things safer. People thought I was crazy (many still do) when they saw my integrated whip mason jar bubbler. Now mason jar pipes are popular. Sorry for the trip down memory lane.

soft_pack.jpg

commander.jpg

playmate.jpg

Top Bottom