COVID-19 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I am appalled he has put his own opinion over what to do rather than listen to the words of experts like himself. Just because he claims a reason or excuse does not make the picture or the sentiment fake.

So remove all context and then throw all meaning out the window so you can carry sticking to your non point.

Oh, the sentiment! :)

florduh

Fauci recommends masks. But when he is outside. With no one around him other than people he's already exposed to on a regular basis. He lowers his mask. Conclusion: Fauci is a hypocrite who shouldn't be trusted.

Trump recommends masks. He then enters an indoor press briefing room with reporters, sans mask. Conclusion: Don is straight shooter.

florduh,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Tranquility

Fauci recommends masks. But when he is outside. With no one around him other than people he's already exposed to on a regular basis. He lowers his mask. Conclusion: Fauci is a hypocrite who shouldn't be trusted.

Trump recommends masks. He then enters an indoor press briefing room with reporters, sans mask. Conclusion: Don is straight shooter.
Wow. Which part of that other than Fauci didn't wear his legally required mask properly did I say or imply?

It does seem he's a bit, what's the word, disingenuous in his dehydration water excuse, but we scamps will be scamps. Pity others in DC who make such decisions and will be subject to arrest and fines.

Tranquility,

florduh

Wow. Which part of that other than Fauci didn't wear his legally required mask properly did I say or imply?

Your comment clearly implied it. You were "appalled" by his not taking his own advice. Meanwhile the President also failed to take his own advice to an even greater extent, not wearing a mask indoors with strangers. Or outdoors with Little Leaguers. All within 24 hours of urging Americans to wear masks. If you were equally appalled by his actions, I apologize.

It does seem he's a bit, what's the word, disingenuous in his dehydration water excuse, but we scamps will be scamps. Pity others in DC who make such decisions and will be subject to arrest and fines.

LOL. No one is getting arrested or fined for momentarily lowering their mask for a drink of water. How do you think restaurants function in areas with mask mandates? Around here, you're allowed to remove your mask when seated at your table, with your party. His actions in the first image are perfectly in line with CDC recommendations.

As for the picture of him, outside... with no one else in sight. Wearing a mask only over his mouth. That's not great if it were for an extended period of time. But given the sources of these images, I'd need to see video before chastising him for that.

Again, I don't even know what the point of the discredit Fauci movement is. It's not helping literally anyone, including the President.

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
McDonald’s Will Require All Customers To Wear Masks Inside Its U.S. Restaurants

How McDonald's plans to enforce its new mask policy

McDonald's and Chipotle announced they would soon require customers to wear masks or other face coverings as cases of Covid-19 surge across the United States.

McDonald's announced Friday that starting August 1, customers who walk into its restaurants will have to wear face coverings.
Chipotle (CMG)'s mask requirement was effective Friday, and signage has been put up at restaurants to let people know about the policy, a spokesperson told CNN Business.

During a call this week discussing the company's second-quarter financial results, Chipotle CEO Brian Niccol said that many customers already wear masks and take other safety measures.

Tranquility

I am unaware of any discredit Fauci movement. I know some in the media are reporting such things when Fauci is accused of being wrong as he was in regards to how well New York handled the pandemic. As the comics say:
mc-fauci-full-of-crap-web-730x548.jpg

For some actual science, how about a German concert?
German scientists are hosting a pop concert for 4,000 people to study how the coronavirus spreads in large groups and how to combat it
...Willing participants for Restart-19 must be ages 18 to 50 and test negative for the coronavirus 48 hours before the experiment.

The participants, all wearing masks, are expected to experience three concerts — one without social distancing, one with a slower entry and more focused on hygiene, and a final version in which participants will sit far enough away from one another to maintain social distancing.

Scientists plan on collecting information in numerous ways, including participants transmitting data every five seconds about where they are in the stadium using a wearable contact-tracing device.

They will use fluorescent hand sanitizer so scientists with UV lights will be able to see what surfaces have been touched and "become particularly dangerous," according to the university's website.

The plans also call for a fog machine to pump out fog meant to help visualize how the coronavirus could spread by aerosols.

The university's website says the risk of getting COVID-19 by attending the concert will be "very low," but it does not guarantee that it's risk-free.

As of Tuesday, 878 people had registered for the concert.

If all goes well, the scientists hope to present their findings based on the data in October.

Tranquility,

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
I am unaware of any discredit Fauci movement. I know some in the media are reporting such things when Fauci is accused of being wrong as he was in regards to how well New York handled the pandemic. As the comics say:
mc-fauci-full-of-crap-web-730x548.jpg

You’re unaware of moves to discredit Fauci, yet you *immediately* engage in one - sharing an example of it from a notably pro-“conservative”, highly-partisan media site. This is beyond “disingenuous”: either you are simply incapable of evaluating what you post, or you are being deliberately deceptive about your agenda. Given your persistence in decrying “politicization” by other posters in this thread, and the dependability with which you consistently assign predictable partisan responsibility in your own, it seems clear that you are being deliberately deceptive: your posts are too pointed, too careful, too frequent for your consistency to be accidental or careless or ignorant.

I know “owning the libs” is a sport of sorts among committed “conservatives”; having watched this game be played in various forms in various fora for DECADES, IMO you play it like a practiced hand. I cannot consider you an honest participant in this conversation: your commitment to scoring points for and against, and your persistence in the effort, tag you as Intentionally provocative. I also know that in this game of “owning”, nothing matters but the points - getting “the other side” to take red herrings as if they were serious considerations; your posts in this thread display an interest in scoring, not communicating, not arguing an actual point of view beyond getting others to fall for your unethical tricks, dodging responsibility when called on them, and doing it all again. This is (again, my opinion) a form of trolling I call ‘tanglefoot’, and you’re good at it.

Too bad, really; your intelligence and persistence could be an asset in a real discussion - if that was what you wanted. Keep it up and I’ll have to consider the possibility that you have a personal interest beyond simply winning. Not the first or the only cannabis-related site where I’ve seen similar posting styles in use.

If your honest intent is to be an honest participant in an actual discussion of the whole Covid situation, you’d do well to change your entire approach to the conversation. As it stands, you bring nothing but distraction.

florduh

The CDC admits this is not the 'flu', even for young people with no serious health complications.

"Most studies to date have focused on symptoms duration and clinical outcomes in adults hospitalized with severe COVID-19 (1,2). This report indicates that even among symptomatic adults tested in outpatient settings, it might take weeks for resolution of symptoms and return to usual health. Not returning to usual health within 2–3 weeks of testing was reported by approximately one third of respondents. Even among young adults aged 18–34 years with no chronic medical conditions, nearly one in five reported that they had not returned to their usual state of health 14–21 days after testing. In contrast, over 90% of outpatients with influenza recover within approximately 2 weeks of having a positive test result"

Last edited:

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
You’re unaware of moves to discredit Fauci, yet you *immediately* engage in one - sharing an example of it from a notably pro-“conservative”, highly-partisan media site. This is beyond “disingenuous”: either you are simply incapable of evaluating what you post, or you are being deliberately deceptive about your agenda. Given your persistence in decrying “politicization” by other posters in this thread, and the dependability with which you consistently assign predictable partisan responsibility in your own, it seems clear that you are being deliberately deceptive: your posts are too pointed, too careful, too frequent for your consistency to be accidental or careless or ignorant.
Yes.

@Tranquility I understand that you want to provide some alternative viewpoints here and do appreciate that your posts are eliciting some very thoughtful responses. Please try to match the caliber of these responses. Debating points that you disagree with should be done clearly and directly.

As a general point, one of this forum's oldest rules is: Do not state opinion as fact, we don’t want to spread misinformation. Please qualify your statements and provide references when making claims. People are dying needlessly because of misinformation. Even if this is just a vaporizer enthusiast forum please don't contribute to spreading it here.

It's incredibly saddening that so many people around the world are holding such strong opinions based on information that doesn't even begin to fit at the very bottom of an evidence pyramid. Yes this is a novel virus and research takes time. Come on though. What the fuck. :(

Evidence_Pyramid.jpg

ClearBlueLou

The CDC admits this is not the 'flu', even for young people with no serious health complications.
The CDC has been SAYING it’s not “the flu” from the beginning. The CDC can’t “admit” what they’ve been saying all along. The PRESIDENT, OTOH, has been denying that it IS the/a flu all along: HE, and his administration, have finally stopped saying that (mostly), so THEY are the ones ADMITTING they’ve been wrong.

Gunky

The thing that concerns me a lot now is: we made a hash of it by emerging too quickly from the initial lockdown and now, even if a renewed lockdown is warranted, like in parts of the south and west, people have been so devastated by the first round that they are unwilling... So they stubbornly resist the inevitable until the virus is burning through the whole population. They think they can't go back now and then discover they can't go forward either. It's bad and unfortunately we have a vacuum as far as national political leadership goes. Now would be a really good time for a contingent of repubs to go to the president, lay out the bottom line, and insist that he turn briefings, overall strategy, and direction over to the scientists and doctors and get out of the way, or else. I'm not holding my breath.

florduh

The CDC can’t “admit” what they’ve been saying all along.

That was a poor choice of words on my part. Certain corners of the internet and media have been using CDC stats to push a narrative that because the mortality rate for younger folks without comorbidities is low, we should consider the risk from this virus comparable to the flu. I believe that is a nonsense narrative, since this isn't a binary where the disease either "A" kills you, or "B" you're totally fine.

By "admits", I just meant the CDC states very clearly, again, in black and white. So there's no confusion. That COVID is not the "flu". I've had the flu multiple times. It always completely goes away in 7-10 days. I've never even met someone significantly older than me who is still suffering from a flu infection from 3-4 weeks ago.

Now would be a really good time for a contingent of repubs to go to the president, lay out the bottom line

Some are trying. A number of the President's allies understand that this isn't going well for the country, and thus the Admin. They're pushing for the President to pick a plan, and stick to it. They're also not terribly impressed with the rebooted pandemic briefings. I'm not holding my breath. But it does sound better than the delusional Baghdad Bob strategy, "Everything is fine! The virus is under control! It's going away like a miracle!". Polling is pretty clear. Most Americans aren't buying it.

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Survey Warns One-Third Of Museums May Not Survive COVID-19 Pandemic

The American Alliance of Museums, an organization that solely represents all museums across the country, issued a dire warning on Wednesday that one-third of museums risk permanently closing as funding sources dwindle as a result of the COVID-19 closures.

============================================================================================
German sniffer dogs show promise at detecting coronavirus
Scientists at the University of Veterinary Medicine Hanover have found that trained sniffer dogs could be used to detect COVID-19 in human samples with a relatively high rate of accuracy, a study published on Thursday revealed.

It's why dogs sniff your crotch: checking for virus.

Last edited:

hinglemccringleberry

I still see many people who not only refuse to wear masks, but they shame and mock mask wearers, call them sheep, and have a genuine superiority complex about it. They don't give a flying fuck about your data. They genuinely believe that they're right, they know better, and we're all a bunch of gullible crybabies who need government to tell us what to do. There is no reasoning with these people, no debating them. If you try to, they and their like minded friends will team up on you and call you out on being a brainless idiot sheep. They will post some meme about how that fat mask wearing lady in a wheelchair is a "hypocrite" for wanting others to wear a mask around her whilst she's "fat and unhealthy because she can't stop eating McDonald's cheeseburgers" and now "has the gall to be concerned about her health" and they use memes like this as a way of digging their heels in when confronted with "propaganda" about the importance of mask wearing.... These people refuse to support establishments that require masks. There is no reasoning with them.

Last edited:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Survey Warns One-Third Of Museums May Not Survive COVID-19 Pandemic

The American Alliance of Museums, an organization that solely represents all museums across the country, issued a dire warning on Wednesday that one-third of museums risk permanently closing as funding sources dwindle as a result of the COVID-19 closures.

One day we might have grand museum of museums, holding brickwork from all the worlds lost museums.

Also, isnt it about time museums gave back everything they stole any way? :)

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Tell them they're sheep for allowing the Deep State to use their facial recognition technology on them.

Dont get me started on the sheeple people. The "ive got the secrets THEY dont want you to know, from google and facebook and you tube". Proper sleuths with a keyboard, while paying zero attention to being consumerists like the rest of us, not paying tax via amazon and siding with the religious right on ideas of endless resources and the planet being able to sustain all the shit we throw at it every time were buying a new product. China human rights abuses and pollution? Who cares, we want cheap plastics and glass! :)

I'm quite happy to blame myself as well as others, doesnt matter how 'aware' or 'awake' we are, we;re still all part of the problem, its not just 'everyone else'.

... And relax

EDIT: I know its way more complicated than the simplified, reductionist version I've given above, there is way more nuance and complications at play, but still. Blaming everyone else, and talking about 'changing vibrational frequencies' or the fantastic vagueness of 'good/bad energy' just does my nut.

ClearBlueLou

The thing that concerns me a lot now is: we made a hash of it by emerging too quickly from the initial lockdown and now, even if a renewed lockdown is warranted, like in parts of the south and west, people have been so devastated by the first round that they are unwilling...
Or simply unable: my work *requires* that I be in physical contact with my clients - and I’ve been unable to work since March. As a sole proprietor, I am on no payroll and as a result I get no “wages”, I am paid directly by clients for my services...therefore I am not eligible for unemployment. There *are* very limited provisions for the self-employee, and many don’t qualify. I can keep myself fed and keep a roof over me, but I can get no weed, I can’t pay doctors, I can’t replace my 15-year-old glasses, I can’t repair my truck.

Bottom line is, I will be FORCED to expose myself in order to continue taking care of myself - IF I can get clients to return under the circumstances - and there’s not a bloody thing I can do about it. Without meaningful emergency assistance, I’m effectively dead already - and I’m not even sick, nor have I been.

That was a poor choice of words on my part.
Sorry, man, didn’t mean to jump on you...I see that word misused in this context every day
Maybe that's where we'll put all the statues.
You are SO LATE with that “idea”....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom