COVID-19 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginolicious

Here’s a good one for ya’ll. They say you are recovered yet you still have huge problems. You don’t test positive er still have all the effects. Just great.

MyCollie

Totally. Just neuroscientist conjures up a bit more in my head than just a physician I guess. Not that being 'just a physician' is really a thing, but, you know :)

You're right. I stand corrected. I guess what I wa trying to say and it came out completely jumbled is that just because Carson is an accomplished surgeon it doesn't really mean I'm going to regard the guy as an expert on everything - I'm not going to view the guy as some type of God.

Last edited:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I'm not going to view the guy as some type of God.

How about some type of Cod?

I didnt think you garbled what you were trying to say btw, my response was just me explaining my own stupidity regarding "surely a neuroscientist cant be that stupid?" :)

If anyone should stand corrected, its me! :)

Last edited:

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
@ClearBlueLou – I'm not attacking anyone and don't see me being attacked. On the contrary, I try to explain that this is not the time to attack each other and that a pandemic should not be used to have political arguments.
I understand that very clearly. I was speaking of a line that would get crossed by me if I attempted a more substantial response to you on this subject.

ClearBlueLou,

florduh

The number of infections in the United States is likely many times higher than the confirmed cases number:

Serosurveillance and the COVID-19 Epidemic in the US: Undetected, Uncertain, and Out of Control

"The true extent of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) epidemic in the US is unknown. The 3.4 million confirmed cases reported (as of July 15, 2020) likely represent only a fraction of all the infections that have occurred in the US thus far. Limited laboratory capacity and restrictive testing guidelines early in the epidemic resulted in large numbers of undetected incident infections. Approximately 40% of all SARS-CoV-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) infections are thought to be asymptomatic,1 and active surveillance for infections without symptoms is limited even now, nearly 5 months after the first COVID-19 cases were reported in Seattle2 and Chicago.3 The true cumulative incidence of infection—a basic but critically important measurement—remains uncertain at a time when communities nationwide are struggling to navigate an ongoing, unprecedented public health emergency, and while apprehensions about the near-term and long-term trajectories of the epidemic loom large."

Young survivors of COVID-19 speak out about how illness is still affecting them

Whether they contracted the virus among the snow-capped peaks of the Alps or in the heart of the outbreak in New York City's borough of Queens, some 20-somethings are getting sick from COVID-19. And staying sick.

Their stories are a warning from millennials to millennials: Don't play the odds with coronavirus because this disease could permanently damage your body.

"What I like to tell my students and patients is that this is a lottery you do not want to win," said Dr. Luis Ostrosky-Zeichner, a professor of medicine at the University of Texas McGovern Medical School.

ClearBlueLou

Most in the US don’t really see open civil war OR repressive suspension of the rule of law as genuine first-resort options - therefore, the election. I’d be surprised if the average German citizen would see it any differently in the same situation.

ClearBlueLou,
Reactions: florduh

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Most in the US don’t really see open civil war OR repressive suspension of the rule of law as genuine first-resort options - therefore, the election. I’d be surprised if the average German citizen would see it any differently in the same situation.

I was not referring to that at all, but more to things that take effect in the long run. To create a harmonic society is an ongoing process and there are lots of ways to take part in that process.

ClearBlueLou

Here’s a good one for ya’ll. They say you are recovered yet you still have huge problems. You don’t test positive er still have all the effects. Just great.

I have a friend who caught it early on...took her two full months to recover...within two weeks of that, her antibodies had disappeared...and she caught it again. Another two months...another two weeks...no antibodies.

I was not referring to that at all, but more to things that take effect in the long run. To create a harmonic society is an ongoing process and there are lots of ways to take part in that process.
Here, those things very much depend on the outcomes of national elections. The Deutche press may not have highlighted it, but one of the major ongoing efforts of the current administration is to undo as much and as many of those ongoing processes as possible. It is a primary reason for the division we experience.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Similarly, our beaches have been full of morons lately...

We're also having a bunch of illegal raves happening, with the police saying theres no way they can disperse the crowd or stop the rave as they just dont have the amount of officers needed. Big spikes on the way here IMHO.

Gunky

It doesn't help that Trump has formed a militarized police force of personnel from Customs and Border Protection, Immigration and Customs Enforcement - without proper markings or names on their uniforms - under acting Homeland Security heads Chad Wolf and Ken Cuccinelli (in other words Trump cronies unapproved by the Senate - the same political cronies who are now going to be in charge of covid-19 statistics! you can't make this shit up) and this new Gestapo Trump created (answerable only to Trump) is bringing the same shit-storm that happened in Lafayette Park in D.C. to a city near you where they are going to fuck with anybody who dares to protest police brutality, racial inequality, or motherfucking Confederate statues. They are already doing it here in Oregon and promising to screw with Chicago and other cities next. This while refusing to fight the real enemy!
merlin_174758376_bccbfa52-6fd1-4e3b-ba2a-fc349006e4b4-superJumbo.jpg

They fired flash bang munitions and tear gas at a bunch of moms out there to protect peaceful protesters! Fuck Trump.

Last edited:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE

I just wish I didnt think this was just the start. I predicted at the start of this pandemic that we'd have riots by summer, and the army out on the streets, potential martial law. I was predicting for my own country. TBF, Ive been predicting riots every summer here for the last ten years or so :D I am a fountain of joy :)

As all this really starts taking hold, as climate change kicks in more and more... Im pretty certain this photo is going to seem utterly tame soon enough.

With Trump hinting at going all executive orders all over everything, I fear he's going to try and leave a hell of a mark if his election campaign goes down the toilet.

Tranquility

@Tranquility – In order to have a decent discussion, I'd like to ask you (politely) not to edit your posts half an hour later by adding yet another article. That way it's hard to argue with you.

Edit: While looking closer at the data being present, I think I'd like to ask all of us to keep a certain order here. Politely. Just makes no sense.
Fair point. We can't post, under the rules, in a second post. I will try to put all responses to cascading replies in the same and not post until finished.

I note the specific claim about Trump being a stupid head because he told people to swallow bleach or stick an LED down their throat was shown to be false. No walk back on the fake claim, just an (incorrect) argument as to what a disinfectant is.
disinfectant
  • n.
    An agent, such as heat, radiation, or a chemical, that destroys, neutralizes, or inhibits the growth of disease-carrying microorganisms.
On a side note, who are the ones misinterpreting the comments to think bleach should be drunk or LEDs should be stuck down your throat? I know what the news media reported, but, who's made the call that that is what he said and followed his advice to their detriment? It's like an argument I had with my best friend when we went to breakfast Sunday. He's a stupid patent attorney who is a democrat all the way down and we will take opposite sides of most any topic. Day? No, night. etc. While neither of us has any data on it and it is a WAG, we both agreed that those on the left are more likely to wear a mask while those on the right are more likely to wear it correctly. Chin wearers tend to be young. Young tends to the left.

Finally, I agree federal officers dealing with rioters is a valid issue to discuss--somewhere. This is Covid-19 news thread and probably would screw up things here as it really has no relation. To try to relate it, the fear so many had of Trump in the beginning was the claim he was a despot seeking power alone and would govern as an authoritarian. He hasn't done it even though most of the country seems to be crying for him to take more power due to Covid. Why the fear? If he was going to take power, the conditions are already there and the justification lessens by the day. If he hadn't done it, he's not inclined to do it.

Tranquility,

Gunky

I am hopeful that Pelosi and House Democrats will force Trump to back down on this. All they really have to do is refuse to allow any legislation to go forward except for things pinching off funding for stuff Trump likes, until he removes this force from Portland and anywhere else and disbands it. But this is very serious stuff. These authoritarian moves, like seizing control of pandemic statistics, are very hard to separate from any thoughts about the pandemic itself.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I note the specific claim about Trump being a stupid head because he told people to swallow bleach or stick an LED down their throat was shown to be false. No walk back on the fake claim, just an (incorrect) argument as to what a disinfectant is.
disinfectant
  • n.
    An agent, such as heat, radiation, or a chemical, that destroys, neutralizes, or inhibits the growth of disease-carrying microorganisms.

Life is hard.

Finally, I agree federal officers dealing with rioters is a valid issue to discuss--somewhere. This is Covid-19 news thread and probably would screw up things here as it really has no relation. To try to relate it, the fear so many had of Trump in the beginning was the claim he was a despot seeking power alone and would govern as an authoritarian. He hasn't done it...

Three posts up, hes doing it. Give the guy a chance!

EmDeemo,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Tranquility

Life is hard.

Three posts up, hes doing it. Give the guy a chance!
I'm just pointing out the quality of your statements.

For those interested in other opinions, go to #176 where I am accused of making this political. Then, read on from there and ask yourself, who is making what political? Don't even need to go back very far. Just look above on this page.

Tranquility,
  • Haha
Reactions: EmDeemo

zor

As to the position of power, I have a coffee maker that has a legally required sticker on it warning people who use it it has cancer causing chemicals one could be exposed to. In this case acrylamide. A chemical created in the roasting of the bean and that is also found in french fries, crackers, and potato chips.

Acrylamide has been found at certain concentrations to be carcinogenic. Nothing has ever been proven to be non-carcinogenic at all levels. We simply cannot do a study to show it over the time required. We have no study saying there is any association between cancer and dietary acrylamide risk.

The law was passed with Democrat support. Which side is denying science? A law was created with no science behind it because of "science!".

I'm not sure I follow you here. Are you arguing that the toxicity of acrylamide in our diet should not be regulated or called out via legislation?

There have been studies on the matter, I remember when the 2002 study came out as I was both very indulgent of french fries and also worked in a lab pouring acrylamide gels for my research projects.

Here's a great summary of the research and ots not too old: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5835509/

I'm going to refrain from writing more as I really am not sure of your argument using this example. There are plenty of substances and compounds which demonstrate no toxic, oncogenic, or pathogenic effects on human cells at various concentrations.

Last edited:

kimura

@Tranquility - all I see you doing here is demonstrating the tried and true tactic of creating a false equivalence. Same thing Trump did after Charlottesville. You argue that the existence of a few morons with a D next to their name somehow balances out the fact that the GOP platform has openly disparaged and denied science as a pillar of their political platform for at least the last 40 years. These are the folks that brought us the war on drugs, ignored the AIDS crisis, suppressed and denied the negative impacts we have had on the earth. Perpetuating lies about the virus is no big deal to them and they will probably get away with it. They pander to a large chunk of Christians who feel threatened by information contrary to their beliefs. It’s not that GOP sucks at science, it’s just that they know their audience. A good chunk of Trump voters actually believe that he was chosen for the job by god. These people are intellectually impervious and believe in magic. There are millions of Democratic voters who also believe in magic - but it’s not part of the Democratic platform. See the difference?

honestly I think you know all this and are arguing in bad faith. Only reason I’m responding to you is for the benefit of other people in this thread

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
For those interested in other opinions, go to #176 where I am accused of making this political. Then, read on from there and ask yourself, who is making what political? Don't even need to go back very far. Just look above on this page.

I thnk part of the difference is comments that talk about the way the administration are dealing with this, which is unavoidable, and then theres trying to disparage other parties as being just as bad. They dont have the guy at the top talking drivel (i did say one of many examples, that he clearly doesnt understand the science, and that I wasnt going to debate it as it was just an example of many). Those troops, its connected because it part of the administrations response to growing unrest, in part caused by the pandemic, IMHO, but its down to the mods to decide that.

Its kinda hard to separate all the things were talking about, and I had my little fit of frustration a few pages back.

The world is very frustrating at the moment and I apologise if Im frustrating you now, sincerely.

Tranquility

@Tranquility - all I see you doing here is demonstrating the tried and true tactic of creating a false equivalence. Same thing Trump did after Charlottesville.
THAT is an example of bad faith. The Trump racist lie. Here we were at the start of the ramp up of democrat crazy of doing the Stalinist and Taliban thing of destroying statues. Please, I know those on the left don't much like Prager, but, at least make a case other than an ad hominem one.
The Charlottesville Lie
Did President Trump call neo-Nazis “very fine people” during a famous press conference following the Charlottesville riots of August 2017? The major media reported that he did. But what if their reporting is wrong? Worse, what if their reporting is wrong and they know it’s wrong? A straight exploration of the facts should reveal the truth. That’s what CNN political analyst Steve Cortes does in this critically important video.

Tranquility,

florduh

Stalinist and Taliban thing of destroying statues

The American Revolutionaries tearing down statues of King George were Stalinists?

Did President Trump call neo-Nazis “very fine people”

No, he didn't. He called the people who marched with Nazis flying the Swastika "very fine people". In my book, if a fine person shows up at a march and sees people flying the Swastika... they leave that march.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom