COVID-19 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
No they didn't try to hide it. They tried to briefly downplay it around Chinese New Years and allowed mass activities in Wuhan at a critical moment in the progression of the disease. It is also true that they did not yet fully understand it at that point. At the time, president DT praised their efforts. Once the disease arrived in the United States (mainly via Europe, as it turned out) the onus was on us here in the states to fight it. Unfortunately we have a buffoon for a national leader who not only refuses to fight it, he actively undermines everyone who is fighting it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...d-with-rage-trump-you-arent-paying-attention/
I can agree with your last statement, however, it came from China to the west coast and from Europe to the east coast from what I saw. Scientists even identified them as slightly "different" strains. And "downplay" is a bit of an understatement. Regardless, imho, our country was way too slow to react and take action; it is not my place to say why that happened (political). I have no dog in the politics of this country as I don't like that we are so limited in our choice of leadership.

On a positive spin, CDC says if all wore masks, in 4-6 weeks we would see a significant difference. I have felt since the get go that we should all where masks, just saying. I'm bowing out of commenting in this thread.

Gunky

I can agree with your last statement, however, it came from China to the west coast and from Europe to the east coast from what I saw. Scientists even identified them as slightly "different" strains. And "downplay" is a bit of an understatement. Regardless, imho, our country was way too slow to react and take action; it is not my place to say why that happened (political). I have no dog in the politics of this country as I don't like that we are so limited in our choice of leadership.

On a positive spin, CDC says if all wore masks, in 4-6 weeks we would see a significant difference. I have felt since the get go that we should all where masks, just saying. I'm bowing out of commenting in this thread.
If you were paying attention you would have noted that although there was a brief and serious stumble by the authorities in the early stages in Wuhan, they almost immediately turned around and took it very seriously indeed. So much so that they sequenced the genome of the virus and gave it to us. So seriously that they quarantined neighborhoods, huge cities, entire provinces, and stopped internal travel in the country. They had drones flying around enforcing their edicts. All of that was right out in the open, months before significant numbers of cases of the virus arrived on our shores. We had more lead time than Europe, which mostly did a better job. Did I say better job? They beat the pants off us by an order of magnitude. Like I said, it is very convenient to blame China for our own mistakes but that won't help us overcome our current problem. What will is listening to the scientists, not the politicians. Forget about China, for the longest time Fox News called the virus a Democratic hoax! 136,000 Americans are dead from it now. Watching Fox will rot your brain. The moron that Trump awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom informed us that the virus was nothing more than the flu. All of these people are making it more difficult to fight this disease.

Last edited:

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
omg you missed my point, but ok. If I was paying attention...yes I was and am. That brief and serious stumble set off a chain reaction that made things MUCH worse than they would have. No comment on how they bought tons of PPE BEFORE letting the world know? I'm done, everyone please wear a mask. And I am not a Trump or Biden supporter.

Gunky

omg you missed my point, but ok. If I was paying attention...yes I was and am. That brief and serious stumble set off a chain reaction that made things MUCH worse than they would have. No comment on how they bought tons of PPE BEFORE letting the world know? I'm done, everyone please wear a mask. And I am not a Trump or Biden supporter.
Nope, they didn't corner the market for ppe after the virus. They made most of the ppe! They were the source! They were undergoing a catatstrophic epidemic and they knew from recent experience with SARS to take it seriously and use the proper equipment. Duh, they used a lot of masks etc.

And nope, their initial stumbles sped up the timeline by a few weeks, which mainly hurt them, not us. We had months to prepare and the Dear Leader was too busy thinking about dumbass physical barriers to stop asylum seekers to consider the virus or do anything as banal as prepare. He considered it a democratic hoax and told us it would disappear miraculously all by itself. And sat with thumbs up his ass and stoutly fighting a PR battle for months, instead of fighting the virus. (He is still doing that.) That made things MUCH worse. The Wuhan stumbles were barely a ripple in the continuum for us.

I am sorry for edging into what seems like politics but in a way it is unavoidable because for some reason our virus response in the U.S. has been politicized. There is simply no way to talk about this thing and still avoid mentioning the chief actor hindering our response and endangering all of us.

Last edited:

hans solo

Left coast Canada

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro tried to make the virus disappear using similar tactics.

Tranquility

"Wake up America! Forget the politics, Get smart!"
(Forget the politics of the man on the moon doing nothing.)

Ec0hChBXoAAeb08

--------------------
Hydroxichoriquine saves lives. A big thanks to all in the press who made it a political issue.

Media Should Do A Mea Culpa as French Analysis Offers a Stunning Observation About Hydroxychloroquine Use

You can read the article, but it is biased and interspersed with attempts to blame people and will be sure to cheese off some so I'll use pictures instead.

(For some reason it's not showing. https://pjmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/20200713_fs_hcq_preuve_final_sw_1-730x411.jpg)

20200713_fs_hcq_preuve_final_sw_1-730x411.jpg

Last edited:
Tranquility,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Tranquility

I saw a meme this morning and it made me think, are we going to force the vaccine when it comes out?

a8294255ff27b836e9609cfa53aa85ebd6f29546b37e04838a6555b748138280.jpg

In other words, will we vaccinate the children to protect the elderly?

Tranquility,
Reactions: macbill

Gunky

Georgia Governor Explicitly Bans Local Mask Mandates In New Executive Order

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) on Wednesday explicitly banned cities and counties from adopting rules requiring masks or other face coverings.

The governor has called mandates to wear a mask “a bridge too far,” the Atlanta Journal- Constitution reported.
We need to think of this as something like a bathing suit. When we go out in public, with a very few exceptions, what used to be called modesty (along with legal restrictions) compels us to wear at least a bathing suit. And isn't it odd, most of these libertarian and far right mask resisters are forced to cover up their genitals their entire lives and really nary a squeak out of them about it. But ask them to cover their mouth and nose for mostly short periods of time for a very good cause and they go bananas. :hmm:

Tranquility

We need to think of this as something like a bathing suit. When we go out in public, with a very few exceptions, what used to be called modesty (along with legal restrictions) compels us to wear at least a bathing suit. And isn't it odd, most of these libertarian and far right mask resisters are forced to cover up their genitals their entire lives and really nary a squeak out of them about it. But ask them to cover their mouth and nose for mostly short periods of time for a very good cause and they go bananas. :hmm:

From the Paper of Record (Babylon Bee):
Walmart Now Requires All Shoppers To Wear Pants

U.S.—In a move that's being called "unprecedented tyranny," Walmart is now requiring all shoppers to wear pants in their stores.

Americans everywhere slammed Walmart for the move, saying it amounted to an infringement on our constitutional rights.

"I thought this was America," said one man as a greeter asked him to please put on some sweatpants or something before coming into the store. "It is my constitutional right to go into Walmart and shop for random stuff at 3 a.m. wearing nothing but some boxers and a giant Tweety Bird T-shirt I got in the '80s."

"Look, we don't think this is too much to ask," said a Walmart spokesperson. "Just throw on some sweats, pajama bottoms, whatever. This is for the health and mental safety of our employees. And for the love of God, take a shower once in a while, you know?"

Shirts will remain optional.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Tranquility

Masks are a barrier against the coronavirus. They also pose a major hurdle for deaf people.

For those of us who speak American Sign Language, masks can be a nuisance because they inhibit mouth movements and other facial expressions that are part of the language’s grammar. And in interactions in which deaf people rely on speech-reading and facial cues, masks make communication nearly impossible.
Old people, like me, too. I find myself leaning in and cupping my ear most times I'm speaking with people with the masks on. I didn't think I needed a hearing aid but this mask wearing is pointing out to me I might.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Utah group organizes 'flash mobs' at grocery stores to oppose face masks

A Utah group has been organizing what they call flash mobs, where they show up to grocery stores without face masks.

The group “Defending Utah” has organized the demonstrations, and said they have plenty more planned for the future. Supporters who agree with their anti-mask message sign up on a phone list and get a text with the location of what store to meet at the day of the flash mob.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Utah group organizes 'flash mobs' at grocery stores to oppose face masks

A Utah group has been organizing what they call flash mobs, where they show up to grocery stores without face masks.

The group “Defending Utah” has organized the demonstrations, and said they have plenty more planned for the future. Supporters who agree with their anti-mask message sign up on a phone list and get a text with the location of what store to meet at the day of the flash mob.

Humans voting against themselves with their stupidity. This wont improve, I dont think -

Not to mention the extra diseases this will bring. Unless the conspiracies turn out true in some way, for my money, this is why we now have this pandemic now. Its easier to see it terms of a movie plot than the stark reality tho. Anyway...

In other news, water is wet.

Tranquility

Protests are protests. You don't get to decide what others have a right to protest about. Especially if we try to get to the motivations of each member, we would find some of the BLM protesters were not as much for Black lives, but for Marxism. If we don't agree Marxism deserves special protection, did those who marched for it do wrong?

We've been in the emergency for months and we're still taking about masks. Rather than a diktat from some glorious leader, can't they pass a law or something?

When Mask-Wearing Rules in the 1918 Pandemic Faced Resistance

-----------
Edit:
When I read the above article, I saw a reference I just had to look up on Wikipedia:
Anti-Mask League of San Francisco

San Fran was able to pass a mask law in about a month after the first case! But, 1918 was crazy different from today:
The president of the League, suffragette, attorney, and labor rights activist Mrs. E.C. Harrington, was a fierce critic of the mayor, and it has been suggested that the anti-mask league protests were politically motivated.[6] The debate was heated.[2] Some objections to the ordinance were based on questions of scientific data while others considered the requirement to infringe on civil liberties.[7]

In addition to complaints from the Anti-Mask League, some health officers from other cities also contended that masks were not necessary.[2] The San Francisco city health officer criticized the secretary of the state's Board of Health for questioning the efficacy of masks, saying "The attitude of the state board is encouraging the Anti-Mask League."
[8]

The article says medical historians say masks saved lives. (Although, they said it during this Covid time in the Lancet.)
Strasser, Bruno J.; Schlich, Thomas (2020-05-22). "A history of the medical mask and the rise of throwaway culture". The Lancet. 0 (0). doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(20)31207-1. ISSN 0140-6736. PMID 32450110.

Actual write-up:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31207-1/fulltext

Last edited:
Tranquility,

Zoltani

Here’s an interesting one. Mild symptoms for 17 weeks. And testing false negative.

2 out of 4 people I know of that have gotten covid have lingering issues, to the point of not being able to walk for more than 10 minutes without getting winded. So the mortality rate may be lower than we thought, but this shit does not sound fun at all. These people may have permanent lung damage.

ginolicious

2 out of 4 people I know of that have gotten covid have lingering issues, to the point of not being able to walk for more than 10 minutes without getting winded. So the mortality rate may be lower than we thought, but this shit does not sound fun at all. These people may have permanent lung damage.

Yeah it’s scary that the damage is lingering for ever. It has totally changed our bodies if infected. Recovery isn’t always recovery. That’s for sure.

florduh

That tracks with the relatively young people I know who've had it. I don't think I've ever met someone of any age who wasn't feeling well because they had the flu... months ago.

Great. Younger people may not die. But you could battle a really shitty disease for months, and have to spend weeks in the hospital. With the possibility of permanent health effects. And you better hope you have good insurance, because a month in an ICU ain't cheap. Otherwise you're looking at crippling debt on top of it.

North Texas 24-Year-Old Who Was ‘Close To Death’ From Coronavirus Leaves Hospital After 79 Days

“Maybe if I would have just listened and worn a mask, just a simple thing, I would have avoided all this,” she said. “I work at a bank – I’m always around people – but I was like I’m fine, I’m fine. Never did I think I’d catch it.”

Dr. Hetal Rana, a physician at Medical City North Hills, says they’re seeing more and more young patients contract the virus. The COVID unit at the hospital has been basically full for the past six weeks, and staff are exhausted.

“We have seen so much negativity,” Dr. Rana said. “We’ve seen a lot of patients die in our hospital that were in her situation.”

zor

The huge dearth of scientific acumen and abundance of ignorance in the US still continues to surprise me greatly...and further sickening as the GOP tries to pwn the libtards with lies and information obfuscation. People across the entire sociopolitical spectrum generally seem to miss that this is a new disease, learning about it takes time (and lots of it!), and hypotheses for containment/reduction are made as a necessity to try to curb the spread and impact yet may also be wrong (and that's expected). Couple that with the political greed and idiotic selfishness over mask wearing and social distancing....man, sometimes I can't help but hope this thing wipes us all out. There have been plenty of failings across the board, but the onus was and remains on the Fed, and we see what happens with such a wretched coward in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom